5/14 Issue: Touch of Genius

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

5/14 Issue: Touch of Genius

Post by Slarti »

Timelined a few days after Bugsy's Girl.

Tony: "No, did I say here? I said there. Oh, now there is here and here is there? Do I need to reprogram your language receptors?" Tony sat back in his chair, the robotic arm hovering near his workbench managing to look nearly sheepish as it set the red and gold helmet on the edge of the table. It teetered and Tony dove for it.

Rogue: Rogue had been busy laughing quietly at the bickering her beau and his 'bots were doing, and then her senses picked up the helmet's movement a split second before and her socked foot stretched out and hooked it as it dropped. "He's tryin' his best, baby."

Tony: Tony plucked the helmet off her foot. "Thanks, honey." He shot the bot a look. "His best isn't much above a toaster oven right about now." The arm drooped and rolled away.

Rogue: "Aww, he still loves you! Don't put up with that kind o' talk from him," she called after it. "Now look what y've done. He's gonna go cry in a corner an' probably be traumatized f'r th' rest o' his Tony-given life."

Tony: "If he cries he'll rust up like the Tin Man," he said, laughing at her fussing over the robot. "Okay, okay, you're forgiven." The robot perked up as Tony pulled up a holographic display and began to tap away. "Don't get cocky."

Rogue: "Mommy loves you, sweetie," she cooed at the robotic arm on wheels. "Just pay attention t' where y' set things next time." At the noises coming from where Tony was, she glanced over and an eyebrow rose. This was all so fascinating to her. She leaned back on her palms and swung her legs back and forth where she was perched on one of the standing worktables. "Ah know where th' oil's kept t' unrust him. They cain't all be Iron Man."

Tony: "Nitinol doesn't rust," he said absently, still tapping away. "Doesn't corrode, molecularly stable - it's elegant, just... not light enough while maintaining strength. That's where the nanotech comes in, and my practical integrations with Danger."

Rogue: "Right, that's why Ah said ... Never mind." His mind was absolutely on what he was doing and it was kind of endearing. "Wait, y're actually linked up with Danger? Ah thought y' just got th' idea f'r how t' do it 'cause o' her."

Tony: "Am I - huh?" Tony looked away from the screens and forced his attention back to his girlfriend. "Well, not linked, but I used her organic nanotech as a basis for my own experimentation. So, yes, I just got the idea from her. Mostly." He gave her a winning smile. "I'm not going to turn into a lady robot any time soon if that's your concern."

Rogue: "Boy am Ah ever glad about that." She grinned back and tipped her head to the side as she let her eyes appreciatively follow the curves of his muscular arms. It would be a shame not to when he wears things like that tank top, after all. "Though, if y' did turn robot, Ah could touch y' without anythin' on at all. Not a stitch nor piece o' metal."

Tony: Well, now he was glad he was paying attention, because the look on her face while she made elevator eyes at him was delicious. "Well, you can touch this," he tapped the helmet, the metal making a hollow sound. Tony looked at her for a long moment, then bit down on his lip in thought. "I propose an experiment."

Rogue: "Ohhh no. Ah ain't havin' sex with y' suit." Rogue shook her head vehemently. "No way, no how, not in a million years."

Tony: "What? No! That'd be... preposterous." He pursed his lips. "Now me wearing the suit..."

Rogue: "Tony," she didn't think he could be serious. Could he? "Tony, no." Rogue scrubbed at her face with one of her gloved hands. "Ah was just tryin' t' be funny. Ah didn't want y' t' come up with somethin' like that. That's just... Ah kissed th' slit. Once. That's not th' same thing."

Tony: Tony stared at her for a long second, then cackled. "I got you going there."

Rogue: "You!" She picked up the first thing she could reach that wouldn't cause permanent damage and threw it at his head. "That was awful!" And she meant it, too, even though she was laughing with him.

Tony: Tony ducked, still laughing. "You should have seen your face, babe."

Rogue: The robotic arm came rolling back over and brought Rogue a wrench. "Um." She took it and the arm turned to face Tony. After a second, Rogue barked a laugh and set the wrench down. "Ah don't need t' throw anythin' else." She beamed at Tony, "That's what y' get. Y' babies like me more."

Tony: "You little traitor," he said, without any heat to his voice. He watched his creation hand his love the wrench and she looked like she was thinking about it for a moment. Tony readied another dodge, then relaxed with a laugh. "Should I leave you two alone to conspire?"

Rogue: Rogue laughed and shrugged. "Maybe. Or maybe Ah'll just sneak down here when y' sleepin' t' do it then." She gave the arm a tiny pat on the joint. "Who's a good boy?"

Tony: The arm rolled closer to her and bumped into her arm as if asking for more pets. "I knew I shouldn't have based them on golden retrievers..."

Rogue: "Who needs a dog when y' have adorable metal helpers on wheels?" She stroked the long 'neck' of the arm. "Y' don't hafta feed'r bathe 'em an' they still love y' unconditionally. 'Cept they love me unconditionally more."

Tony: "Exactly," he said, watching her pet the robot with a smirk. "It seems like they do at that. I'll remember this, Dummy. Maybe I could trade you in for a silver dog thing like Sebastian has."

Rogue: The base of the arm started swiveling side-to-side, almost as if it was nervous. "What'd Ah say? Don't take that from him." The arm then picked up the wrench, went to Tony, and dropped it on his foot. "Ha!"

Tony: "Ow! You little shit!" He couldn't help but laugh even as his toes throbbed. "Excuse me, secret service? The president was just a victim of domestic assault. In a roundabout way."

Rogue: Rogue was covering her mouth with both hands to try and stifle her laughter, but it wasn't working. "A robot roundabout. An' Ah did not tell him t' do that."

Tony: "You inspired this act of unprovoked violence," he said, rolling his seat away from the dangerous robot, who seemed entirely too pleased with himself for a robotic arm.

Rogue: "You programmed him. Ah just showed him love an' affection." She set her hands on the edge of the bench, gripping it as she leaned forward to look at his foot from a distance. "Y' okay, though, baby? Really?"

Tony: He waved a hand dismissively. "I'm fine," he said, watching her look intently at his foot. He wriggled it. "Still attached."

Tony: After a moment, he continued. "So, as I was saying, there are some people you've been able to touch, correct?"

Rogue: That caught her off guard and she looked up to meet his eyes, "What? Oh. Yeah, a couple. But all mutants, so Ah dunno if that counts?"

Tony: "But you don't know if the x-gene has anything to do with it, right?" He met her gaze and smiled. "It was people you've shared a connection with, right?"

Rogue: "Um. Mostly. But we think there's also maybe a bit o' whatever power between us. Like... a layer? F'r example, Bobby's got a layer o' water molecules an' ice. Remy had charged particles." Sam, she had no answer for. "It's all just theories."

Tony: "So if it's all just theories, why don't we test it?" He cocked his head at her, considering her answer. All males. That was interesting. And all men she was close to in one way or the other.

Rogue: "Test it? Remy's in New Orleans, but Ah guess Ah could call Bobby over. Didn't really think y' were one f'r th' human type sciences, though."

Tony: "With me," he clarified, tapping his chest. "You could try touching me."

Rogue: Rogue just stared at him. "Y' remember when Ah asked if y' were on drugs? Now Ah know y' are."

Tony: "I'm not on drugs, Anna," he said rolling closer to her. "I'm curious. What's the worst that could happen?" Tony paused, then continued. "Okay, I know there's a worst-case scenario, but that's highly unlikely, and what if it works? No bracelet? Nothing between us?"

Rogue: "An' what if it doesn't?"As far as she knew, Cody was still in a coma a decade and a half later. "Best case scenario, Ah get confidential information Ah ain't supposed t' know."

Tony: "I trust you with that," he said, waving the concern away. "Just a quick touch to test the waters, and you'll know instantly, right? And if I feel woozy I can move too, right?"

Rogue: "In theory..." Rogue licked her lips, squeezing the edge of the table to keep herself still. "Quick touches c'n put people in comas. If y' already feel woozy, it's likely too late an' Ah'll need t' catch y'. It's not like havin' too much t' drink, Tony."

Tony: "But what if it works? There's only one way to find out, right?" He watched her hands white knuckled on the table. "I'm not trying to give you a panic attack, but I think it's worth a shot."

Rogue: "But what if it doesn't?" Her voice was quiet, like a child who's afraid of the monster under the bed. "Why? Why would y' wanna risk that? Risk y' life? Y' c'n touch me with th' gadget y' made."

Tony: Her reaction and tone made him want to go hug her, but that was the whole issue - she wasn't wearing her bracelet. "I think it's worth the risk. Remember, I've read the files. I know the odds aren't good, but if there's a shot..."

Rogue: Rogue let out a bitter laugh. "Readin' a piece o' paper is much different than livin' it, Tony. Y' could touch me an' wake up twenty years fr'm now with this bein' y' last memory."

Tony: "I can think of far worse last memories than your touch, Anna Marie," he said. "I'm not joking, but it's highly unlikely that you'd put me into a coma for twenty years."

Rogue: "Ah want y' t' know that if Ah kill y' on accident b'cause o' this, Ah wouldn't care if Hope had me assassinated. Or if Ah rotted in prison f'r a hundred years."

Tony: Tony perked up. "So we're going to do this?"

Rogue: "Tell me why y' think it's worth th' risk when there's a perfectly safe way t' do it, first. Then... Maybe."

Tony: "Perfectly safe, but in some way... artificial? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but do you know how long I've wondered? You shouldn't have to suppress part of who you are to be with me. It's not fair."

Rogue: "Tony..." Rogue watched him for a moment, concern and fear etching her features. "Mah life hasn't been fair since Ah was twelve years old. Ah'm used to it by now."

Tony: He licked his lips and rolled closer, reaching out to rest his hand on her covered knee. "We're building something here, you and I. A home, a life together, things... I frankly never expected to have. We shouldn't have to spend all our years together with you hobbled. I think it's worth a shot."

Rogue: Rogue closed her eyes and chewed on her bottom lip. She wasn't a 'broken little doll' anymore. But he wasn't Humpty Dumpty. She was a horrible, horrible person... But she felt the same way. A slow, deep breath steadied her, and she opened her eyes to smile softly at him. "Me, too. Ah had a taste o' th' possibility, but then, after... mah life exploded in more ways'n one, Ah resigned mahself t' thinkin' that was th' closest Ah'd get."

Tony: "Well, maybe," he returned the smile, looking up at her. "Just maybe it's time for another taste of possibility."

Rogue: "This is y' last chance t' change y' mind 'fore Ah get it in mah head it's gonna happen..."

Tony: "Hey, my mind is made up," he said, squeezing her leg. Was he nervous? Oh hell yes, but he was committed. "I like my odds."

Rogue: "Ah don't," she said softly, but pushed herself off the bench to stand. "How do y' wanna do this? Ah've had people touch me so they're in control, Ah've touched them. Kiss, hand, hell, even just a finger once'r twice."

Tony: Tony got up and kicked the rolling stool aside. "Kiss seems appropriate, right? It's not inappropriate anyway." He stepped up to her and took her hands in his.

Rogue: That got another, yet smaller, bitter laugh from her. "Yeah." Rogue gave his hands a squeeze and looked up into his eyes. "Y' need t' know, that if this doesn't go poorly, y' will be talkin' t' y'self. There will be two o' you. But... If it does? Go bad, that is? Ah need y' t' know that Ah love you an' Ah'm sorry. Just in case."

Tony: "I love you, and you're forgiven, just in case, but it won't come to that." He met her eyes and smiled. "Two of me, huh? Most people say one is too many." Tony leaned down, his lips hovering just over hers. "You ready?"

Rogue: Rogue's heart was beating so fast it felt like it was going to burst out of her chest and her eyes were watching his lips as they got close. "Never," she whispered and then kissed him anyway.

Tony: For a split second, it felt like any other kiss and he had just enough time to think maybe he'd pulled it off before a wave of dizziness hit. Tony jerked back. "Wow..." he muttered, then went down like a sack of bricks.

Rogue: Rogue stared down at him and heaved a sigh. "She told you. Dummy." She knelt beside him and gripped his chin, turning his head from one side to the other. "Seems okay. Hey! You!" There was whirring from around the corner of a desk and a robotic pincer poked out. "Yeah, U. Help me get this dummy," another whirring, "No, not you, him! Up and over to the couch."

Tony: Tony was having the craziest dream. He was talking to himself and yelling at the robots. He tried to speak but didn't think anything came out. "Mmm..."

Rogue: Together, they plopped Tony unceremoniously on the sofa and Rogue went to sit on the stool and look over his calculations. "Don't worry," she called around the screen, "You're breathing, your vitals seem stable, handy thing those nanos, and your girlfriend now knows you were totally faking going out with other women starting pretty early on." Carry the seven... Multiply. Yep. "I need a snack. Do you want a snack?"

Tony: His girlfriend what now? And where was her sexy accent? Tony groaned, fighting his way to consciousness. It was an uphill battle and he became aware of a pounding headache behind his eyes, but eventually he cracked one open. "Honey, you pack a wallop."

Rogue: ""But soft! He speaks! You're not too bad yourself, there, bucko." Rogue kicked the rolling stool over to one of the work benches and pressed a button underneath the lip, dropping down a hidden door. "Chips or granola? What am I saying? Granola. You need something healthy after that fight."

Rogue: After grabbing the granola bar, she pushed off from leg of the bench and rolled to a stop at the edge of the couch, grinning down at him. "Heya, 'honey'. That's a new one. Never called myself that before. Weird. Not bad though." Rogue looked him over from head to toe and gave a nod. "She thinks you're sweet enough, so honey seems fine."

Tony: Tony struggled to sit up, finally grabbing the back of the sofa and dragging himself somewhat upright. There was a granola bar in his face and he took it, then looked at Anna with half-slit eyes. "This... this is a new level of weird."

Rogue: "She warned you." Rogue shrugged and blinked at him, then remembered. "You had your math wrong. I fixed it." She popped the bag open and shook it as she looked down into it. "Earlier, when she distracted you with being a robot. You wrote some of the code wrong. Must've just hit a wrong button or something, right? I fixed it," she repeated.

Tony: "My math is never wrong," he complained, still using his free hand to slowly ratchet himself up. He felt like he was moving in slow motion and he wondered if part of her taking on his being truly sapped his own. "Trippy. This is trippier than 1999 in Switzerland."

Rogue: "Slow down and eat the granola. You'll thank me ... Yourself? Later." She shook her head and ate a chip. "I know that. That's why it must've just been a slip of the finger when she caught us off guard. There's really no other explanation for it." Switzerland? She laughed, "What a trip, man. Dum-e! Get an OJ from the fridge in the corner for dad over here." The robot brought it to Rogue and she just blinked at him. "Dummy."

Tony: "Hey, Dummy. Come to daddy." He was in a sitting position now, both feet flat on the floor to stop the room from spinning. "As much as I appreciate myself, how much longer do you think you'll be me?" The question was mostly rhetorical, he knew, but his headache didn't care. He took the OJ from the robot and cracked it open, draining half the bottle and hoping the sugar would kick in fast.

Rogue: Rogue did some quick mental math, "About thirty more seconds. I haven't been counting, though. It's typically thirty-five times the amount of time of the touch. It doesn't always work that way, but most of the time. So five second kiss equals nearly three minutes. Eat the granola."

Tony: "This is.... really remarkable. Right? It's crazy, but... wow! You're absolutely me!" Tony unwrapped the bar and took a bite. His headache was fading while his enthusiasm for this strange science experiment grew. "That was some five seconds, babe."

Rogue: Rogue shook the bag again then poured the crumbs into her mouth. These snack bags were too small. "Well, she's not the Dalai Lama, that's for sure."

Tony: "What are the three principles of engineering? What are the seven ethics of engineering? What was our best stab so far at the Reimann Hypothesis?" Tony said all this around another bite of granola, narrowing his eyes to study Anna.

Rogue: "If I weren't thinking the same, I would be offended on Anna Marie's behalf." Rogue cleared her throat and leaned forward to rest her elbows on her knees. "Technically, the ASME Code of Ethics has four fundamental principles which uphold the honor, integrity, and dignity of the profession."

Rogue: "One: use our knowledge and skill for the enhancement of human welfare. Two: Be honest and impartial, serve with the public, employees, and clients with fidelity. Three: strive to increase the competence and prestige of the engineering profession, which I totally think we do every day. And, four: support the professional and technical societies of our disciplines."

Rogue: "The seven fundamental canons, aka ethics, are," Rogue blinked and frowned at him. "One: engineers shall hold paramount th' safety, health, an' welfare o' th' public in the performance of their professional duties. Two: Engineers shall perform services only in th' areas of their competence. Three: Engineers shall issue public statements only in an objective an' truthful manner. Four: Engineers shall act in professional matters f'r each employer or client as faithful agents or trustees, an' shall avoid conflicts of interest."

Tony: Tony blinked at the sudden reappearance of a semblance of Anna's accent.

Rogue: She took a deep breath, "Five: Engineers shall build their professional reputation on th' merit o' their services an' shall not compete unfairly with others. Prob'ly why y'all don't play well with others most times. Six: Engineers shall act in such a manner as t' uphold an' enhance th' honor, integrity, an' dignity of th' profession. An', finally, seven: Engineers shall continue their professional development throughout their careers and shall provide opportunities f'r th' professional development of those engineers under their supervision."

Rogue: "Reimann Hypothesis?" Rogue took a second to mull this around in her head, "Yitang Zhang supposedly solved it in 2013, but Ah ain't sure how true that is, t' be honest.”

Tony: "It hasn't been solved, because I haven't solved it yet," he said, fascinated by the growing accent. "I'm very impressed with myself. Plato? How we doing on time for this? Do we have time to solve the hypothesis with two of us on the task or is my girlfriend back in charge?" The AI began a countdown and he clucked his tongue.

Rogue: "Tony," she said with a smirk. "It's me now. Ah know everythin' you know, even though Ah'm back in th' driver's seat, so t' speak. Plato, stop the countdown."

Tony: The AI became quiet again and Tony gave her a sheepish grin. "I knew that. Welcome back, sweetheart."

Rogue: "How y' feelin'?" She reached out and put a hand on his knee, worried look in her eyes as she searched his face. "Ah wasn't exactly sympathetic earlier."

Tony: "There was no reason to be sympathetic. I'm fine, and you called it. I'm a dumbass. I thought I could beat the odds." He covered her hand with his. "I still say it was worth the chance."

Rogue: "Y' not a dumbass. Not t' me. You think that, so it came outta mah mouth when y' were in charge, but those weren't mah thoughts." Rogue winced, "Ah'm sorry it didn't work."

Tony: "Me too, babe." He squeezed her hand and gave her a rueful smile. "So, now you've gotten a look behind the curtain, am I still the great and powerful Oz?"

Rogue: "Hell no. He was a jackass." She grinned and turned her hand over to hold his. "Why didn't y' tell me how y' felt sooner?"

Tony: Tony sighed and laced their fingers together. "I'm sure this isn't the most satisfying answer, but I don't know? Maybe I was afraid? It took me a while to realize what was happening, that I might want us to be something more..."

Rogue: Rogue brought one shoulder up in a semi-shrug, moving her eyes to their hands. "Ah dunno. Fear's there t' protect us fr'm stuff. Maybe y' subconscious knew t' keep y' away."

Tony: "Fear is also a roadblock to getting what you really want, sweetheart." He leaned to try to catch her eyes.

Rogue: She glanced up at him with just her eyes, keeping her head down. "What is it y' really want? T' feel like Ah just made y' feel hundreds o' times a day?"

Tony: "I don't think I'd get much done," he laughed, then cocked his head. "Well, actually, uh, I might get twice as much done, with two of me, figuratively speaking."

Rogue: "Maybe it means somethin' that we cain't touch," she said softly, eyes back down on their hands. Hers, gloved, his bare.

Tony: He swallowed. "What are you saying here, Anna Marie?” Again, he tried to get her to meet his eyes. "All it means to me is that we'll have to keep relying on that bracelet, and maybe, someday, we'll come up with something even better."

Rogue: "It just... It makes me so sad," she looked up at him. "Ah should be able t' touch you."

Tony: Tony took her hand in both of his. "I know. What'd you say about life not being fair? Yeah, it's a bitch, but we have a good thing here, don't you think?"

Rogue: "Yeah," she nodded. "Yeah, Ah do." Rogue brought her other hand in to cover his. "Y' ain't worried 'bout it, though? At all?"

Tony: "I'm not, and you should know that, since you just got a big ol' dose of me in your head. I'm not afraid of your powers. I'm still not." He caught one of her hands and raised it to his mouth, kissing the back and giving her a bright grin.

Rogue: "Ah have y' in mah head pre-touch, not post. Ah don't know how y' feel 'bout it now, not from a first-person perspective anyhow." The grin melted her a little and she moved to sit on the couch beside him, legs curled under her. "Ah'm sorry Ah didn't even try t' catch y'."

Tony: He puckered up, only half kidding. "Well, you wanna find out in first person?" Pleased she'd joined him, he moved closer. "It's fine. I said anything that happened you're forgiven, including me taking a little floor nap."

Rogue: Rogue pulled her head away from him, shaking it as she watched his mouth carefully. "No, Ah really don't." She did feel a little better since he seemed to be willing to do it again for her sake, though. "Did y' hit y' head? Ah didn't even check."

Tony: He ran his hand through his hair, making it even wilder. "Nope, all good here." Tony's expression softened and he squeezed her hand again. "Do you have your bracelet?"

Rogue: She shifted so that she could reach the zipper pocket on her mid thigh and pulled it out to hand to him. "Rarely without it. Could come in handy sometime."

Tony: Tony took the bracelet and gave it a polish against his jeans, then took her hand, carefully removing her glove. He kept his eyes on hers as he snapped the bracelet around her wrist.

Rogue: The minuscule pulse that went through her body when it clicked into place gave her relief and a sense of loss all at once. Tony was quiet in her head and she wasn't a genius anymore. But he was here in front of her. She climbed into his lap and nestled against his chest. The bracelet made her feel whole and empty all at the same time. Especially after using her powers. Her powers. Not Carol's.

Tony: He was relieved she seemed to have calmed a little and he held her close. "See, I'm right here, and I'm fine." He kissed the top of her head and lingered. "I'm not afraid."

Rogue: "Th' rush o' energy Ah got from you was... Amazin'. Which makes it all th' more dangerous." Rogue closed her eyes and listened to his heartbeat for a few moments. "When do y' go back t' DC?"

Tony: "Tomorrow afternoon. Intelligence briefing... or something." He nuzzled her hair. "Amazing, huh? I like the sound of that. What makes that dangerous?"

Rogue: "It's so easy f'r me t' get addicted t' th' high different energies give me. Ah was careless once, just casually brushin' people in th' halls. It's a rush." She sat up to look at him. "Ah don't wanna let mahself get careless with you, Tony."

Tony: "Just brushing them, huh? It's a high? I... well, I've never had anyone use me as a drug before. That's a new one." He cupped her cheek and ran his thumb across her skin. "You won't, I trust you. In all this time, you never once touched me until I asked you to, right?"

Rogue: Rogue closed her eyes and leaned into his hand. "Think 'bout it like th' rush y' get when y' figure out the solution t' a problem y've been workin' on f'r a week straight. It's small, but it's like a shock o' adrenaline." She turned to kiss his palm then looked back at him. "An' with mutants, Ah had th' added benefit o' playin' with new powers. Ah've never found one that Ah ain't been able t' master pretty much right off."

Tony: He hummed a little in understanding. "The thrill of discovery, yeah. But I'm not a mutant, so I imagine it's a little different. Obviously, you got all my knowledge, which, I have to admit, was hot."

Rogue: That made her laugh, surprised by that admission. "Y' find y'self that sexy, do ya?"

Tony: "You're really that surprised?" He laughed. "It's the textbook narcissism I've been accused of from time to time."

Rogue: "Mmm. Y' do know that Ah know a lot o' that is just bravado, right? An' Ah didn't need t' touch y' t' know that." Although... "If y' wanna fuck y'self, Ah'm sure Jamie could give y' tips, maybe."

Tony: "Ha! That's the redheaded telepath's boyfriend, right? I'll pass on that." He gave her a more sincere smile. "You've got me figured out, huh? Probably, out of everyone, you would be the one to unlock the mystery of Tony Stark."

Rogue: "Ah cain't be th' only one who was patient enough t' learn, can Ah?" Rogue leaned down to nuzzle into him again, pressing a kiss to his neck. "What makes y' think no one else has y' figured out? Y' have millions o' women who'd kill t' be in mah shoes. Maybe they know y' better'n me."

Tony: "I can assure you that they do not. I'm sure some of them have seen past the bad boy persona, but not one of them really knew me." He ran his tongue over his teeth and sighed. "Except, maybe, Hope's mom, but we know how that ended."

Rogue: "Pepper was good f'r you. Ah have a lot t' live up to." She shifted a bit and kissed just under his jaw. "Ah hope Ah do her proud.”

Tony: "More than. We've already outlasted me and her. She thought I couldn't handle it, if I knew she was pregnant. Maybe she was right." He closed his eyes and tilted his head to enjoy her touch, running his free hand over her curves.

Rogue: "She was crazy t' not wanna raise Hope with you. Or at least try." Rogue brushed his jaw with her thumb and closed her own eyes. "Y're a great dad. An' y'd've been great with a kid."

Tony: "She had her reasons. If you think I'm insufferable now you should have seen me at eighteen." He craned his neck back and opened his eyes to look at her. "You think I'm a great dad?"

Rogue: "Ah did see y' at eighteen. Hell, Ah was you at eighteen." She lifted her head so he wouldn't have to strain his neck. "Of course Ah do. Y' didn't get t' raise her, but y' doin' everythin' y' can t' be there for her now."

Tony: "I missed... well, everything." He gave a helpless one-shouldered shrug and sighed. "I hope so. Sometimes she runs to Sebastian, which I shouldn't be jealous about, but here we are." Tony frowned. "And now, she's off with her bodyguard, doing her best impression of me avoiding responsibility."

Rogue: Rogue smiled softly at him. "Y're doin' everythin' right. Ah promise." She kissed him gently. "An', if y' wanted t' see what havin' a kid is like, we could always borrow Ripley. Orrr we could adopt?"

Tony: "Everything is probably an overstatement, but I'll take it," he decided. "Drake's kid? With the green hair?" He laughed and shook his head, returning her kiss, then he paused. "Adopt?"

Rogue: "What's wrong with her hair? Ah think she's beautiful. Looks like her mama." Rogue stilled, trying to read his expression to determine if that was a good questioning or a bad questioning question. "Yeah?"

Tony: "You'd like to adopt a kid someday?" Tony wasn't at all sure how he felt about this, but at the moment - and maybe this was just the wooziness talking - he was warmed by the idea she might want to raise a child with him.

Rogue: "Ah dunno. Maybe? Havin' one th' normal way's too dangerous f'r th' baby an' th' doctors, if Ah could even get pregnant in th' first place, that is." She shrugged one shoulder. "Just a thought. Ah ain't married t' th' idea o' kids. So don't worry y' sexy head 'bout it if y' don't wanna have any."

Tony: "Have you ever..." How to put this... "Been assessed? By your big blue doctor or anyone? To see if it's possible?" He noted her wording. "You're not married to the idea of having kids, but what about the idea of getting married?"

Rogue: "Ah mean, Ah'm sure it's possible in th' sense that Ah got workin' parts. Mah powers're what make it dangerous." That caught her off guard. "Ah was married..."

Tony: "I suppose if your powers weren't active..." He cleared his throat and licked his lips, suddenly nervous. "I know, Anna. I'm sorry." Tony took a breath and decided to march on. "But I meant, uh, when I'm out of office, maybe?"

Rogue: "Oh. You an' me?" Rogue's heart felt like it was going to explode and she wanted to cry, both from joy and despair. She was a horrible person and she hated herself as much as she loved both men. "Ah never thought you'd wanna get married... So, Ah hadn't thought about it." The smile creeping onto her face as she thought about it now, though, made her sick. "Is that y'r way o' proposin'? Or just proposin' th' idea?"

Tony: "Yeah, you and me." He touched her cheek again, sensing... something was going on. "Baby, I didn't mean to upset you, I just - it was a thought. I was, uh, yes, proposing the idea."

Rogue: Rogue pulled off her glove and laid her hand on top of his, leaning into it to press a kiss to the palm. "Y' didn't upset me, sugah. Just caught me off guard's all." She smiled at him. "First a house, then th' L-word, now marriage? All things Ah never thought y'd wanna do. With anybody, much less me."

Tony: "I'm... just as surprised as anyone," he said with a chuckle. "That's a horrible thing to say, but it's true. I never thought - okay, three or four years ago? I never would have thought I'd want to, but now? With you?" He closed the distance to give her a soft kiss.

Rogue: She lingered on his lips, enjoying the feel of them on her own. "Ah don't think it's a bad idea t' talk 'bout th' idea," she said a little shyly. "Anna Marie Stark kinda sounds nice..." But so did Anna Marie Drake. Not that Bobby had mentioned marriage.

Tony: "Good, talking about it is good." He grinned at Anna Marie Stark, pleased that the sound of it on her lips didn't give him a panic attack. This was progress, right? "It has a nice ring to it," he agreed, then tilted his head to give her a deeper kiss.

Rogue: Rogue slid her arms around his neck and played gently with the ends of his hair, letting herself forget everything but the two of them for the time being. Then she suddenly broke the kiss, "But what if Ah c'n never ever touch y' without help? Won't that bother y' t' have a wife y' cain't have and hold, like th' vows say?"

Tony: "It feels like I'm holding you right now," he said, tightening his arms around her with a smile as he aimed for another kiss. "You feel that, right?"

Rogue: "Well, yeah..." She enjoyed feeling the strength of his arms around her and let him take that kiss, but only for a moment. "Y' just wanna keep me around 'cause Ah'm a challenge y' ain't solved yet," she teased.

Tony: "That's not true," he said, giving her his best innocent face. "You literally know better. Also, who says I can't solve this challenge, too."

Rogue: "Oh, so once y' solve it, y' gonna kick me t' th' curb after a round o' celebratory sex?" Rogue smirked and gave his hair a mock-upset tug.

Tony: "Ow," he teased, closing one eye at the tug, which was turning him on probably more than it should. "It might be after two rounds. Or four."

Rogue: "Four?" Her eyebrows went up and she laughed. "Alright, so after a week's worth, then. Ah'll make sure t' have mah bags packed an' say goodbye t' Plato, but Ah'm takin' mah robot arm-dog with me."

Tony: "In a week? I was thinking a long lunch," he laughed. "Not even married and you're talking about taking the kids in the divorce."

Rogue: "Not even engaged an' y' talkin' 'bout goodbye sex," she countered with a grin.

Tony: Without thinking, Tony very nearly said something he probably would regret, or at least rethink. "How about some spectacular pre-engagement, post-magic-touch sex instead?"

Rogue: Rogue's eyes softened and she stared at him in awe. "Magic touch?" No one had ever called it that before. It was always 'bad touch'. It was bad for everybody, except apparently him.

Tony: "It seems pretty magical, right?" He wasn't sure what he'd said to make her look at him like that, but he wasn't going to complain. "Magic is just science we don't yet understand." He bumped his nose with hers, pressing their foreheads together. "And you always seem pretty magical to me, babe."

Rogue: "Everybody's always called it 'bad'. Y're th' first one t' call it anythin' that makes it seem like a good thing. ...Ever." What was she doing? This man was perfect. Rogue felt her eyes get hot and she shut them to try and stave off any tears. "Y're pretty magical, too, y' know."

Tony: "Ever? Well that's just... rude." He smiled, realizing her eyes were closed and she seemed emotional again. "Don't worry, I know I'm magical."

Rogue: "Damnit, Tony." Her words didn't have any heat behind them, but she opened her eyes and pulled back to look at him. "Y' ego's so big all by itself that Ah cain't tell y' what Ah wanna say b'cause it'll just get bigger. So, Ah guess instead, Ah'll just say thank you." Rogue leaned in and kissed him softly. "Ah love you."

Tony: "Needs its own time zone, doesn't it," he laughed, then cocked his head to regard her seriously. "I love you, magic touch and all," he said, returning the kiss, then breaking it when the curiosity became too much to bear. "You can tell me anything, you know that."

Rogue: Rogue was about to melt into the kiss when he broke it to say that and her head fell to his chest while she laughed. "Y' just want me t' heap y' with compliments." She lifted her head, laughter still alight in her eyes. "Y're perfect, Tony Stark. Th' best man Ah've ever known an' Ah'd be crazy t' let y' go. Ah've often wished Ah could reverse mah powers t' show people how Ah really am. But Ah don't need t' do that with you. Y' see me. All o' me. An' none of it's bad t' you."

Tony: "I don't just want you to heap me with compliments," he chuckled, licking his lips and forcing himself under control. Her eyes were soft and amused and her words made his heart skip. "I'm trying. I'm trying my best to be the best, so if you think so, I'm happy."

Rogue: "Ah don't think so, sugah. Ah know so." She traced his lower lip with the thumb of her bare hand. "Y' don't hafta try. An' Ah think that's what's so beautiful an' magical 'bout it an' you. You make me happy just by bein' you."

Tony: Tony kissed her thumb, swallowing down the rush of emotion her words brought. "Thank you," he managed.

Rogue: Rogue bit her lip and brought her eyes up to meet his when she heard how his voice sounded. "You c'n tell me anything," she parroted his words back to him, "y' know that."

Tony: "I just-" He looked down and licked his lips before he was able to meet her eyes again. "You make me happy in ways I never expected, uh, or maybe never thought I deserved." Tony tightened his arm around her, feeling her breathe against him. "To know you feel it too..." He cleared his throat. "It means everything to me."

Rogue: Rogue let that sink in for only a moment before she kissed him again. Slow and meaningful, just like how the conversation had been. "How 'bout y' take th' possible future Mrs. Stark somewhere t' show her some more of y' magic?"

Tony: He returned the kiss, hoping she could feel his sincerity, since putting it in words was such a challenge to him. When they broke apart and she spoke Tony blinked rapidly to keep himself in check. "Oh," he breathed, "I'd love to."

Tony: At that, he tightened his hold on her and got to his feet, giving her a hard kiss. "Let's go make some magic together."