5/10 Issue: Multiple Solutions

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

5/10 Issue: Multiple Solutions

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined for shortly after [issue]Pancake Surprise and [issue]The Morning News.

<Carol> As the Boston skyline came into view, Carol slowed her speed a ways and reduced the energy aura surrounding her as they flew. Now that the wind was less of an issue she looked down at Obi, "How're you doing there?"

<Shinobi> "I'm great," he complained. His density power was good to toughen him up enough for the wind not to tear apart his clothes and hair, but it was still annoying.

<Carol> She had to laugh, "If I could figure out how to do it without using my hands I'd offer to give you a break but I haven't had a lot of free time to practice new stuff lately. At least we're nearly there..."

<Shinobi> "Thank fuck for small miracles, huh?" He shook his head as the wind whistled by it. "If anyone took pictures of this, it'll be all over Instagram within an hour."

<Carol> "If anyone got pictures of this, I'd honestly be impressed," she admitted, "This level of EM tends to mess with regular tech operation." The building came up on them fast and she slowed right down as she circled her landing zone. Oh look. Press. "Roof landing okay with you?"

<Shinobi> "Good, then we'll be blurry, like sasquatch." He tried not to hurl when they slowed far too quickly for his liking and he looked down at the street in front of his parents' Boston home. More cameras, but at least they were across the street. Sebastian probably had the lawyers on them already. "Roof is good. The garden."

<Carol> "Hey maybe that's why the sasquatch pictures are blurry? Ooooor it's because it's not real." She lowered them gently onto the roof and set him on his feet, holding out her hands in case he needed to catch his balance. Some people took to flying around at high speed better than others.

<Shinobi> His feet touched the ground and he staggered, catching himself on her forearm. "He's totally real, he just might be an alien too." Obi winced and told his stomach to stay put.

<Carol> "Oh I've heard them all..." she laughed, letting him lean on her til he felt okay, "Including the interdimensional teleportation theories and the defender of humans against dogmen... also not real."

<Shinobi> He took a deep breath and straightened up when he was fairly sure he wouldn't vomit on his mother's flowers. "You are a destroyer of dreams."

<Carol> She laughed, "Would you rather I made you afraid of the woods by telling you they're all real? What about aligators in the sewers or is that too crazy for you? Mole people?"

<Shinobi> "I know, for a fact, that aligators in the sewers is a real thing. In fact, I knew a guy... he wasn't really an alligator, but he looked like one. Essex, you know."

<Carol> "Okay, okay... mutants notwithstanding..." she held up her hands in surrender, "Maybe sasquatch is a mutant and he can teleport too..."

<Shinobi> "I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a mutant who looked like sasquatch, or maybe that's what they are - just another type of mutant. And they might even teleport." He nodded, crossing his arms.

<Carol> "Okay, Mr Lawyer," She patted him on the shoulder and started for the door to the inside and coffee, "I guess watch out for Sasquatch next time you're in the wilderness."

<Shinobi> "Well that's why I don't go in the wilderness. There's sasquatches... and those werewolf things..." He peeked over the edge of the building at the paparazzi below, then followed her inside.

<Shaw> His powers may be limited, but Sebastian could most definitely feel when his son suddenly appeared on his roof. "Michael is here. And Carol," he told Jessica.

<Jessica> Jess reached out with her own abilities, "At least they're in a good mood...." She got up to put a pot of coffee on for Carol.

<Carol> "The wilderness is awesome. It's not like you have to worry about getting eaten by stuff..." she countered on her way down the stairs.

<Shinobi> "Only a lifetime of nightmares," he laughed, on the way down the stairs.

<Shaw> "They must still be blissfully unaware of their new front page status."

<Shaw> He tilted his head to consider this, looking toward the stairs where the feet were clomping toward them. "That would be a twist, I suppose."

<Jessica> Jess sighed, not wanting to be the person to burst the happiness bubble, "Maybe they already know and they don't care?"

<Carol> "Pfffft, you just gotta go with the right mindset... also probably people that know what they're doing because I doubt you do." She tossed him a grin over her shoulder, "Do you even own hiking boots?"

<Shinobi> "Do I look like I own hiking boots?"

<Carol> "Not even a little bit."

<Shaw> "Hello," he called up the stairs.

<Shinobi> "Heeeeeey, sorry for just dropping in. Literally."

<Carol> "We decided the roof was less problematic than the front door," Carol added, giving Sebastian a half shrug and a grin as she appeared at the bottom of the flight of stairs.

<Shinobi> He followed after and paused to shake his father's hand.

<Shaw> "The full restraining order has yet to take effect, because our attorney was on vacation," he grumbled.

<Carol> "You let them take vacation? Without a backup? You need Fury's attourneys. I don't think they sleep." She could smell coffee! Carol made a b-line for the kitchen, "Your wife is my favourite."

<Shinobi> He waited for Carol to go to the kitchen and start talking to Jess, then kept his voice low to speak to his father, knowing full well mom could hear him too. Still. "How's she handling all this... crap?"

<Shaw> "At the moment, she is more concerned for the effect it could have on Miriam and her clients than for herself. The larger question is who leaked this information - old information, to the press."

<Carol> "So... you guys have had a fun morning, huh?" Carol leaned against the counter while she waited for the coffee and Jess got herself some tea.

<Jessica> "That's one way of describing it..." Jess shook her head as she put sugar and a teabag in her mug, "How's yours been?"

<Shinobi> "I was wondering that myself. Who and why? What difference does it make other than to attempt to embarrass you, and we know you have no shame."

<Shaw> Sebastian smirked and turned to join the women in the kitchen.

<Carol> "Better now the shock's worn off and I don't have coffee staining my pants..." She gave Jess a small smile, "Honestly, I only went there because I thought I Hope was home and now this... Fury's not pleased. He's talking about Alaska again."

<Jessica> Jess wrinkled her nose, "He's all talk, it won't come to that. You're a public figure now, he can't just bounce you off the team. People will notice and then it'll look way worse in the papers because think of the stories..." She gestured vaguely with her teaspoon.

<Carol> "Can I hire you for PR?"

<Shaw> "Fury wants to send you to Alaska?" He waved a hand in dismissal. "He's bluffing. He needs you here to corral Tony's pet project."

<Carol> She startled a little at Sebastian's voice, "That was before the past couple months worth of headaches I've caused him," she pointed out. "Now he's threatening... pretty soon he'll seriously consider filing paperwork."

<Shaw> He made a dismissive sound and went to get coffee for himself and Michael.

<Shinobi> He went to Jess and wrapped her up in a hug. "Are you okay?"

<Jessica> Jess returned the hug, teaspoon still in hand, and gave him a squeeze, "I'm fine. I think Sebastian's more annoyed than I am."

<Shinobi> "Well, that sounds about right." He kissed her cheek before he let her go.

<Shaw> "It's inexcusable, and this ridiculousness has dragged you in as well. I would not be a bit surprised if this wasn't the same hand pulling both strings."

<Carol> "I don't know... kinda seems unlikely. Who could have predicted I'd show up in New York? That anyone would?"

<Shaw> "Anyone watching our family, who saw an opportunity and took it."

<Carol> Carol helped herself to coffee from the pot, turning to look at Jessica, "Are you gonna tell him he needs to get out more or am I?"

<Jessica> Jess considered that as she put her milk away, "Lost cause, I'm afraid."

<Shinobi> "We always have the paparazzi sniffing around. Hope Stark, remember? That name attracts attention, no matter what."

<Carol> "Except now she's not here... which it would have been helpful if someone told me but I get it..." She wasn't used to being on the outside and it stung a little.

<Shaw> "She barely thought to inform anyone before flitting off on this fool's errand," he griped, handing Michael a cup and keeping one for himself.

<Carol> "Of course she didn't - we'd all have told her it was a stupid idea." She lifted her coffee to her lips and took a deep inhale before a sip.

<Shinobi> "I feel like I should defend her decision-making skills, but you're right. She's impulsive and with Sum she's basically bulletproof, so it goes to her head."

<Jessica> "I'm questioning his decision making skills more than anyone's for letting her go with him," Jess commented, gesturing them all to the living room now that they were furnished with their various caffeine sources.

<Shaw> "I agree with Jessica. What was he thinking?" He shook his head, watching the others file into the living room.

<Carol> "Pretty clear that he wasn't using his brain..." Carol sat down on the sofa, holding her coffee in her lap, "But it's too late now, I guess... I already offered to keep Obi posted with any information I come across that sounds like them."

<Shinobi> "I hacked into Hope's social media to post as her to throw the vultures off our trail. Or to at least confuse the issue."

<Carol> "For the record... They're idiots." Just in case Sebastian was having an impulse to accuse, Carol figured she'd clear that one up right now. "Actually I was planning on using Hope as a human shield if Rogue came at me again."

<Shaw> "Why would she? I thought matters were settled with she and Tony. They're in Europe, and at last report being rather nauseating." He still wasn't quite sure what his friend saw in that swamp rat.

<Carol> "You are literally the last person I want to share that story with," Carol shook her head and had another sip of coffee. "Suffice it to say, she's probably mad at me again. But, if she's in Europe right now, I guess I can go pick up some of Chewie's stuff since she decided I need supervision in New York."

<Shinobi> He couldn't help but snicker at bit at her words and his father's raised brows. "Oh, she's probably definitely mad, but who knows if it's the death threat kind of mad or not. She's with Tony, not, uh, him, so that has to count for something, right?"

<Carol> "You would hope..." She also booted him in the ankle for all but spilling the beans.

<Shinobi> He nearly spilled the coffee instead, stifling a yelp at the kick.

<Shaw> Sebastian watched this with furrowed brows. "Yet more unfortunate drama involving Drake?"

<Carol> "It's been a weird time... we need a job.... take everyone's focus off our personal lives."

<Jessica> "I couldn't agree more..." Jess sighed, deciding to ignore all the weirdness she was getting from Carol. "You must be all going stir crazy in that place... Though Tandy's at least been keeping herself busy."

<Shinobi> "I have a job," he pointed out, raising his hand. "It hasn't helped."

<Carol> "Your job is boring."

<Shinobi> "Exactly. That's the way I like it. It still hasn't helped to get the focus off my personal life."

<Carol> "Right, but that's my point. A boring job isn't exciting enough to distract you, clearly. Get a puppy."

<Shaw> "Could I interest you in one of Viper's predators? She seems to have willed us another one..."

<Carol> She peered at Sebastian over the rim of her cup then turned her head to look at Jessica, "This true?"

<Jessica> "Her name is Valeria... She was Viper's favourite... She was in with her personal items... some sort of security guard, I suspect," Jess supplied, "She's very well trained... came with a list of commands and everything."

<Shinobi> "I'll pass... as much as I like Sharky, I think another one would creep me out too much."

<Jessica> "She is very much not like Sharky," Jess added, taking a sip of her tea, "But she would make an excellent bodyguard if you miss the suits while Hope is away."

<Carol> "Probably better conversation..."

<Shinobi> "I definitely don't miss the suits, and I can take care of myself, so no thanks." He had to laugh at Carol's comment.

<Carol> "In the immediate short term, I'm hanging out so I got it... at least until he kicks me out," she bumped Obi with her shoulder.

<Shinobi> "Also, she has the space cat," he agreed, rocking with the bump.

<Carol> "I do have that... but I don't think she'd make a good bodyguard. She'd probably just teleport off and leave you to fend for yourself...."

<Shaw> Unsuccessful in his attempt to foist off Viper's eerie creation on his son, Sebastian huffed.

<Jessica> "That sounds like a fair assessment of a cat..." Jess agreed with Carol's statement then eyed her, "Do you want a shiny silver cat thing to match your alien cat thing?"

<Carol> She was so close to saying 'no' right away but then.... "Depends. Does it eat reporters?"

<Shinobi> "That's what the lawyers are for." He'd heard back from his and paperwork was being filed in New York to keep the reporters away.

<Shaw> "When they aren't on vacation," he muttered into his coffee.

<Jessica> "Given my new status as your PR team, I think I should warn you that letting Valeria eat reporters is probably going to reflect badly on you." Jess advised.

<Carol> Carol laughed, "Yeah... good point... I mean we could watch her for a while if she's making you nervous, but I'd have to check in with Cess first...."

<Shinobi> "I hope you mean we at the school, because I'm good without her," he said, holding up a hand.

<Carol> "Well first, it's not a school anymore... and also did you think I was inviting Cess to live at your house?" she teased.

<Shinobi> "I don't know, maybe I'm collecting a harem. The press would definitely love that."

<Carol> "Oh well if you're into collecting, I'll totally help..."

<Shinobi> He shook his head with a laugh. "I would say I'd have a lot to explain to Hope when she got back but if I mentioned it was to fuck with the press she'd be on board."

<Carol> "I know for a fact that Beth would be up for joining in on that... because it would have the additional bonus of pissing off her mother."

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Her mother is still having kittens about her hair."

<Shinobi> "She can bring inflatable Tony along for the ride."

<Shaw> "Speaking of, the man could manage to do something a tad more distracting to get our family off the front pages."

<Carol> "Well, if anyone's gonna give him that kick up the ass it's you, so... get on that," she made a 'hurry up' motion with her hands.

<Jessica> Jess reached out and steadied Carol's lap coffee before it became sofa coffee.

<Shaw> "I suppose he could always propose," he mused.

<Jessica> And now Carol was inhaling her lap coffee. Alarmed, Jess reflexively patted her on the back.

<Shinobi> He reached over to try to help too, confused for a moment by her reaction. Then he remembered. Drake. That whole... clusterfuck. "Do you really think he would?"

<Shaw> "I don't know what he would do. He hasn't been this besotted in all the years I've known him." He raised a brow at Carol's antics.

<Carol> Recovering a little, Carol waved off the help and cleared her throat, "I would be more surprised at this point if that didn't send her running for the hills. But, who the fuck knows what's going on in her head..."

<Shaw> "She'd be doing him a tremendous favor if she did."

<Carol> "I don't think stomping on his heart the first time he lets someone in is a favour...." Carol frowned a little, realising her cup was empty and, not for the first time, wishing it was something other than coffee.

<Shaw> "For the short term, yes, it would be painful, but for the long term it may be for the best if that relationship ends. The woman is a powder keg."

<Carol> "One that likes to blow up in my face, yep." She got to her feet, eyed Jess and Obi either side of her and took to the air to get more coffee.

<Shinobi> Obi watched her woosh away and sighed. "So, no clue on why or how or who decided to start digging up old dirt?"

<Jessica> Jess shook her head, "Not really... we'll figure it out, don't worry about it."

<Shaw> "I may have a few ideas of how to find out."

<Jessica> "If any of them involve actual crime, take them off the list," Jess prompted, taking a sip of her tea, "Because that'll come back to bite us in the ass in the same way this has."

<Shaw> "Not actual crime, no. Simply a channel outside of traditional law enforcement." He gave her a sweet smile.

<Jessica> "Who better not be committing any crimes or assault because that's a crime..." Jess had that sinking feeling she always got before Yukio's name came up.

<Shaw> "I don't believe he would commit any serious crimes in the course of duty. It would violate his frustrating moral compass."

<Jessica> She raised an eyebrow at the 'he'. Oh. "Jamie? You want to put Jamie on this?"

<Shaw> "It is his profession, is it not? And he's proven himself competent in his previous work."

<Jessica> "I know... I'm just very aware I'm not his favourite person... and I don't know how comfortable I feel about him potentially going to talk to people from my past to find out who else talked to them." She frowned, "I'll have to think about it..."

<Shaw> "Very well, we will discuss it later. I would assume that you would prefer his methods to Yukio's, however."

<Jessica> "Yukio is a last resort. She likes the assault part way too much..." Jess rolled her eyes, shaking her head a little. "Woman needs a therapist.... not it."

<Shinobi> "So, the full legal team and maybe a private investigator? That's the plan?"

<Jessica> "Until I give him permission to unleash the tiny crazy asian lady," Jess leaned to put her mug on the table, glancing toward the kitchen and wondering what was taking Carol so long... though she could cheat but that was rude.

<Shinobi> "I kind of like Yukio, she's crazy as hell." He glanced toward the kitchen and got up to go check on Carol. "Did you get lost?"

<Carol> Carol startled and almost destroyed her second coffee cup of the day, "Uh... I just... need a minute..."

<Shinobi> "Which part do you need a minute for? There was a lot of potential trauma in that conversation, which is pretty normal around here."

<Carol> "I hate the word but I guess I kind of 'triggered' myself there..." She sighed and leaned against the counter, "I'm not good at talking about this stuff..."

<Shinobi> "Do I wanna know how or what triggered you? Or is it none of my business?" He went to refill his own coffee.

<Carol> She shrugged a shoulder, looking down at her coffee between her hands, "It's the Rogue stuff... Her threatening me before... it brought up a lot of things I worked hard to put away... stuff I had to so I could function... and, you know... I was already having nightmares because Brood-iversary... and then all that on top... it's a lot... I never talked to anyone about what happened with them."

<Shinobi> "Would it help you to talk about it?" He took a sip, knowing his parents were listening in the living room despite their low conversation about Yukio.

<Carol> "I don't know... maybe... or it'll make it worse... Just... I used to talk about all this stuff with my brother and I never found anyone else I could trust like that..." she glanced up at him, "I move around so much it's hard to get to know someone that well... even when I was dating Cess... there was still like... I don't know, a wall of professionalism or something... I didn't wanna put all that on her..."

<Shinobi> "Now probably isn't the time or place, but if you'd be comfortable, there's always me. We can compare notes on how fucked up we both are sometime."

<Carol> She nodded, offering a small smile, "Thanks... I appreciate the offer... talking about this where there's no eavesdroppers would definitely be a good idea... so I guess if I was going to talk about it, New York would be the only safe place out of the three places I go...."

<Shinobi> "Okay if we're going back to New York, we're borrowing one of dad's cars this time."

<Carol> "Then you're driviing because I should only drive easily replaceable non-descript black SUVs...."

<Shinobi> "Oh, I'll drive. It'll be fun. We can get snacks."

<Carol> "Snacks, coffee, and terrible radio choices. Sounds like a good road trip to me."
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 5/10 Issue: Multiple Solutions

Post by Esynthia »

Jamie is SO IN.