12/30 Issue: Contingency Plans

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

12/30 Issue: Contingency Plans

Post by Slarti »

Timelined right after True Colors.

Carol: It had taken a go hour or so but, since Rogue's threat, Carol had retrieved all her hidden scotch from around the building and piled it up in Tyrone's room with a note to dispose of it however he liked. She had also made a report to Fury so it was on the official record and he could send it up the chain if he wanted and she'd put in for repairs on her office wall. At least that wasn't her fault this time.

Carol: She had also called her mother and Joe to warn them just in case Rogue decided she was too much trouble. Now she was standing on the doorstep of the Shaws' house and pounding on the door.

Shaw: Widget opened the door and burbled at her, looking at the door to make sure she hadn't damaged it. After a moment, the AI stepped aside to allow her to enter.

Carol: "I didn't break the house..." Carol rolled her eyes at the robot, "Give me some credit, would ya?" She stepped inside, relieved to be somewhere Rogue would never voluntarily visit. "Who's home?" she called up the stairs. It was no use her asking Widget.

Shaw: Sebastian raised a brow at his son and tipped his head back to respond. "I am. In the living room."

Carol: Oh good. She didn't have to wait or run the Jess gauntlet. She headed up the stairs and stopped in the living room doorway. Oh. Decisions.... fuck it. "What did you say to Rogue?"

Shinobi: Obi raised a hand and gave her a slightly awkward wave of greeting.

Shaw: "I take it she paid you a social call?" He stood, scotch in hand, to motion her into the room.

Carol: "You could call it that... or you could call it threatening my life." She took the invitation into the room and sat down on the sofa with a huff.

Shaw: "Threatening your life?" He held up his own tumbler of scotch in question. "I feel slighted. She simply told me to leave."

Shinobi: "That's... not cool. Are you okay?" He looked between the two, ignoring his father's flippance.

Carol: Carol shook her head to the offer of scotch, "I..." no she wasn't okay. "I just can't believe she went there... she was talking about using her powers on me..."

Shinobi: "Fuck," he said, moving over to Sebastian's place on the sofa. "She was serious?"

Carol: Carol nodded, "Yeah. She was very serious." She tried to suppress an involuntary shiver. "She never would have made that threat otherwise."

Shaw: Sebastian took a drink and looked back up at her. "I didn't say anything that extraordinary, other than I may tell Tony of her indiscretions."

Carol: "Yeah. I got that. She said if you do that then it's my fault and she'll kill me so.... don't do that?" she suggested, looking up at him.

Shaw: "I would say she's bluffing, if it weren't for a rather spectacular history of... instability." He made a face.

Carol: "She wasn't bluffing. She knows what it is to hold that over me..." She shook her head, "I told her I assumed she was quitting the team... but she seems to think she can be professional because I guess it doesn't matter to her if I wanna work with someone who wants to kill me."

Shinobi: "Well kick her ass off the team!"

Shaw: "I don't know that we have any choice now but to tell Tony, if you think she's truly that... determined. Although first we should neutralize the threat."

Carol: "She says I'm not her boss... but I think she's wilfully ignoring the part where I'm team leader.... I told Fury what's happening so... if he sends it up the chain, Tony's gonna find out she's crazy one way or another." She sighed, "Honestly, at this point I'd rather just tell him everything that's going on myself. At least then I'm not taking the hit for something someone else said..."

Shaw: Sebastian raised a brow and took another sip of his scotch. "Would you like me to come with you?"

Carol: "Only if we can make sure Rogue's no where near." Because that would end terribly for everyone involved. "I just don't want this hanging over me... kinda makes it hard to focus...."

Shaw: "I tend to agree that we should take extreme caution. Neutralizing her abilities would of course eliminate that threat, until a plan of action can be determined."

Carol: "You got any suggestions on how to get her to agree to that? She's not exactly thinking straight right now... she's acting like the whole world is her enemy and trying to take Tony from her... she's not taking responsibility for her own actions..."

Shaw: Sebastian smirked. "I never said anything about her willingly accepting that offer."

Carol: "Yeah... not sure you'd get that past Tony either..." she wrinkled her nose. "It could go south real fast and I don't want to be anywhere she can find me if she gets loose..." She got to her feet to walk off some nervous energy then decided to go and make tea because Jessica insisted it was magic.

Shinobi: "That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and mom would never let you do it," he informed his father.

Carol: Once in the kitchen and safely out of view, Carol leaned against the counter and put her face in her hands, taking a few deep breaths to stop the shaking. Was this a bad idea? Maybe she should just leave…

Shaw: "I'm not suggesting anything permanent, but she's clearly a danger to others right now, possibly including Tony should she lose control."

Shinobi: "I agree that she could be dangerous, but what you're suggesting is just as dangerous." At that, he got up and followed Carol into the kitchen, lowering his voice. "Hey."

Carol: She startled at the voice, straightening up and trying to act normal. She offered a small smile, "Hey... Do we need to tie Sebastian up til Jess gets home and can talk him down?"

Shinobi: "Maybe," he chuckled. "I think he knows better, he just likes to talk." He joined her at the counter and leaned against it.

Carol: Carol busied herself filling the kettle and looking for where Jess hid the teabags, "So... there's two ways this can get back to Tony... one of them might not even get me in trouble... the other one for sure will..." She wondered if this would fit Rogue's definition of 'running and crying' to Sebastian.

Shinobi: "Yeah?" He watched her, noticing she was trying to act normal. Yeah, right.

Carol: "I had to tell Fury... he's my boss and he needs to know things that'll affect how I do my job... so it's up to him whether he sends it up the chain to Tony... This X-men thing is his pet project after all... even without it being his girlfriend with the crazy attack..."

Shinobi: He whistled. "Wow. Well, Fury might get to her before dad even gets his crazy idea off the ground."

Carol: "And that will be a hundred percent on her for her insanity.... but she'll probably still think it's reason enough." She sighed heavily, setting a mug on the counter and dropping in a teabag, "I just... I don't want to put my family through that again..."

Shinobi: "Also... death."

Carol: "Yeah... but she might not kill me... depends who wins the personality roulette in her brain... I might just forget everything and have to start over again...."

Shinobi: "I vote that we don't even take the chance, right?"

Carol: "I'd like that... but it's not really up to me, is it? Not unless I go... camp out on the moon or something... but then I can't do my job..." she poured the water into her mug and fished the teabag out when it looked like tea... with her fingers because what were burns? "I hate this in between part..."

Shinobi: "Yeah, the waiting sucks." He heard a voice from the living room and it made him pause to listen. Sadly, he only had normal ears. It sounded like Sebastian, possibly on the phone?

Carol: "Kind of would rather she just got it over with... at least then I'd know how to move forward... or I'd be dead and I wouldn't give a shit...." she frowned a little at the voice from the living room, "He wouldn't talk to Tony about this on the phone, right?"

Shinobi: "I... don't know. You wouldn't think, but," he shrugged and made a face at her.

Carol: "Well, whatever, right? Gonna happen either way... at least here there's witnesses. I'm the only one in the asylum most of the time - which sucks, by the way..." She picked up the tea and turned to lean against the counter beside him, close enough that their shoulders were touching because the contact made her feel better.

Shinobi: He slid his arm around her shoulders. "Maybe you shouldn't stay at the asylum until it's sorted out?"

Carol: She leaned into the sort of hug and sighed, "I don't have anywhere else to go..."

Shaw: "You're staying here," Sebastian said, sliding his phone into his pocket as he walked into the kitchen.

Carol: She startled again at Sebastian's voice and spilled tea on her hands and the floor... and her shirt. "What?"

Shinobi: He grabbed the cup, hissing at the heat, and put it on the counter before he grabbed a towel.

Shaw: Sebastian frowned at her reaction, then met her eyes. "This is the last place she would want to come, and she would not get past the security system if she did."

Carol: "She doesn't need to get past the security system she can come through the wall... which she did to my office...." She frowned at the stain on her shirt, pulling it away from her skin.

Shaw: "Well, if she does that here I have no qualms about neutralizing the threat." He gave her a toothy grin.

Shinobi: He went for a napkin and handed it over since he wasn't about to go dabbing her chest.

Carol: She frowned at the napkin but took it and prodded at the stain, "Yeah that's great and everything but what about the traumatising effect on your kid? I don't want to put anyone else in any danger..."

Shaw: "You recall she is my child, correct? And her apparent fairy godmother is - well, was - a part of Hydra?"

Carol: "Yeah but I was also there for a melt down of epic proportions that I'm now remembering I wasn't supposed to tell you about so.... oops."

Shaw: "A what?" His eyebrow rose and he went to start a cup of coffee.

Carol: "Jean kinda had a thing... and phoenixed and Miriam was there and there was a lot of screaming... but she's fine and forgave her like ten minutes later..." She tossed the napkin and frowned at the still there but less wet stain. Oh well.

Shaw: "Ah." He shrugged as he toyed with the screen on his coffee making masterpiece. "As I said, she's my child. She recovers her equilibrium quickly."

Carol: "Did you talk to Jess about this before you decided I'm moving in?" She decided to use her powers to dry the wet patch on her shirt and give Obi a somewhat dubious look.

Shaw: "She will understand." He made a pleased noise at the screen and his cup filled with coffee.

Shinobi: Obi took the napkin from her hand and picked up the towel, giving her a shrug. "He's probably right, about staying here. It would be safer. Unless you wanted Tony's direct protection."

Carol: She cocked her head on one side, "For that we'd have to tell Tony... also how would that work?"

Shaw: "Well, Tony will have to know shortly either way, yes? He's hardly without contingency plans."

Carol: "For that I'd rather just go over there and tell him myself and be done with it. Then I'd know I have to go hide out on the moon for a year until she gets mad at someone else."

Shaw: "What do you want to do?" He took a sip of his nearly scalding coffee and ignored the burn out of long habit.

Carol: "I don't know... I think Tony needs to know about the crazy.... but we can't tell him about that without talking about why... and I don't want to hurt him..."

Shaw: "Yet you are correct - he needs to know. As I said, I could go with you, or I could tell him, but you should be somewhere safe if you are unwilling to restrict her."

Carol: She leaned against the counter again and frowned in thought, "If we're gonna tell him, I'd rather be there... She's gonna blame me either way..."

Shaw: "Would you like me to go with you then?" He tilted his head to regard her.

Shinobi: "I don't know if it would be better or worse if I told Hope and we went, too..."

Carol: Carol's eyes widened and she turned her head quickly to look at Obi, "Nooooooo do not tell Hope."

Shinobi: "Worse, huh?"

Shaw: Sebastian just snorted.

Carol: "That would absolutely be throwing gasoline on the dumpster fire."

Shaw: Shinobi: "I was just thinking she could help with Tony..."

Carol: "Yeah but... she has a tendency to react before the thinking..." She gave Obi a pat.

Shaw: "Understatement," Sebastian muttered.

Carol: Sebastian got a sly finger-gun shot. "I do think if we're gonna talk to Tony we should do it soon... and I need to tell Bobby what's going on. He deserves some warning..."

Shaw: Sebastian didn't bother to hide his slight jump, but gave her a smirk in response. Those small surges of energy were never unwelcome. "Does he now?"

Carol: "Yeah he does." Carol's tone left no room for argument, "I'll call him... you call Tony and get him somewhere we can talk to him." And hopefully with Heather nearby just in case Rogue got wind of things.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 12/30 Issue: Contingency Plans

Post by Esynthia »

Oh for fuck's sake.