All in the Family

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All in the Family

Post by InterNutter »

In order to understand what Nandi and I are rambling on about, read the thread "Something about cookies" first. That is all.

The fic to date:
=================================
The sequel to Getting Better

InterNutter and I nutted this out…not sure if it’s gonna be an intrafic or if she and I are gonna tagteam it…and she’s not around at the moment for me to ask…

Anyway…

Amanda was in heaven…
Though she knew for a fact her parents would not agree with her, seeing as she was currently straddling a blue, furry demon, her arms locked around his bare, fuzzy shoulders. He’s already unbuttoned her blouse, pushed it down her arms so that it now hung uselessly around her waist. His lips moved at a maddeningly slow pace along her collar bone.
One soft hand clasped her shoulder, slowly sliding the strap of her brassier down the curve of her arm. Lips followed the path of his hand. She gasped as she felt his sharp teeth graze her flesh, as fingers slipped beneath the silken fabric to caress the even more silken skin beneath. Those same fingers made their way towards the hardened apex of the trembling curve. She moaned as his warm breath heated the flesh even more. She threw back her head as his tongue began to tease through the fabric, as fingers began to slowly pull the fabric aside…
“Ah-HEM!”
The pair looked up suddenly to find Professor Charles Xavier, hands steepled before him, eyeing them with an arced brow. He didn’t look angry…more disapproving. They exchanged a glance.
“I guess it’s too late for that line about rehearsing a play?” Amanda said from behind Kurt, her beloved elf having quickly repositioned himself so she could cover herself before facing the owner of both the mansion and the head of the institute.
“Oh, yes.” He nodded.
“Would it help if I said it is a really arty play?” Kurt asked.
“I don’t think so.” A smile played on Xavier’s lips now. He waited until the pair had tidied themselves up and Amanda was sitting beside Kurt instead of on him before he continued. She threaded her fingers, rather awkwardly, through his, but Xavier had no problem with that, especially when he caught sight of the chip of diamond that lay on her finger.
“I know what you’re feeling…” He sighed, how could he not, being the world’s most powerful telepath. “But this IS a school. And as an X-Man, Kurt, you have a certain responsibility to the younger students. They look to you for guidance…”
“I thought they looked to me for laughs.” Kurt frowned.
“Perhaps.” Xavier allowed. “But they certainly don’t look to you for more earthy education…so I am going to have to set some rules…” He looked from one flushed face to another, wonder just what he might have discovered if he hadn’t interrupted them when he did.
“I have always had a no sex rule for the students, Kurt…you know that…”
“But we weren’t…” He began in protest.
“Can you honestly say you could have controlled yourself if I’d let you continue any longer?”
“I think…” Kurt didn’t look very sure, and Amanda just looked at the pattern in the carpet.
“Your engagement has…complicated things a little…” He held up a hand before Kurt could protest again. “I have nothing against the two of you becoming betrothed…I know it’s part of your culture, Kurt, to marry young…but just because you intend to marry I can’t let you think that allows you to flaunt the rules…they still apply…
“You will maintain separate bedrooms…and you will maintain a certain level of decorum…”
“Until we’re married?” Kurt prompted.
“Yes…until then…” By US law they were too young to marry so he had no qualms about granting them that little leeway. “Now…carry on…but not as you were…”
Amanda noticed the smirk that curled Kurt’s lips as he watched Xavier wheel out of the room.
“Why do I get the feeling you’re formulating some kind of loophole in that fuzzy brain of yours?” She arced her brow at him.
“How would you like to come home with me for Christmas?” He said suddenly, turning to face her, eyes bright and full of mischief.
“Christmas?” She echoed. She hadn’t given a thought to the rapidly approaching holiday season. Since her estrangement from her parents she hadn’t given much thought to anything family based at all. Kurt was her family now…so it made sense to spend the season with him. And it certainly beat hanging around here by herself.
“Rogue is already coming…so you can both meet your new family…I can show you where I grew up…we can get married…I can show you the circus…and you’ve never tasted Christmas carp like Mama makes…”
“Hold on, hold on…” She held up her hands. “Back up there a bit…did you say married?”
“Ja.”
“We’re too young…” She shook her head. “We can’t get married until we’re eighteen…at least not without parental consent…and you know my parents would never consent…they don’t even know we’re engaged.” She gently touched the ring he’d given her. “If they did…”
“Don’t you remember Andrei?” He asked.
“He was married at fifteen…” She whispered as she remembered.
“It is legal…binding…unbreakable…” He smiled. “It will b endorsed by the Count himself…”
“Count?” She looked at him, confused.
“Our ruler…”
“You have a ruler?” She frowned.
“Yes.”
“But would it be recognised here?” She asked.
“A legal document is a legal document.” He said. “It will be recognised…or they risk an international incident.”
She was quiet for a moment while she turned things over in her head. She loved Kurt, but was she ready to marry him? But, as she thought about it, wouldn’t it just be delaying the inevitable? If they didn’t do it now, they’d just be doing it in a few years time…
“When do we leave?” She asked with a grin.

Trisha Andrews was having a bad year. And it wasn't looking like it was going to get any better.
She'd been transferred to the US after the unfortunate incident of the Centaur in prime-time, and had spent the worst part of a month tripping over local laws.
And now THIS.
She'd seen it - HIM - on the television, lazing in the sun or walking casually in the arm of the brown-skinned girl beside him... But there was a distinct difference between television and reality.
The camera may or may not add forty pounds, but it sure as hell gave the illusion of reduction.
Her mouth went dry.
Nobody ever said he LOOMED.
"Is there a problem, Fraulein?" He leaned companionable on the counter. So close she could see the grain in his blue fur. So close she could smell the otherworldliness about him.
And remembering what got her transferred, Trisha regained her composure and smiled brightly like a demented Barbie Doll. "Just one minor detail," she chirped. "Do any of your party have any special dietary requirements?"
The blue thing smirked and laughed.
"Don't even think about it," said the Goth.
"But Schwester... I was going to order you a glass of blood..."
"Hardy har har har," she intoned.
The brown girl elbowed the blue thing in a playful way. "Stoppit, both of you." She grinned at Trisha. "We're fine. Just give Kurt double portions and we should be mostly okay."
"Mostly?"
"Well it's not as if you wouldn't buy half the stuff on the refreshment tray ANYWAY."
"So I like schokolade..."
It almost sounded - normal. If she was allowed to close her eyes, Trisha could easily imagine that these were just three travelling teenagers. Nervous, she tapped in the code for double meals as quickly as she could. "Your flight's boarding at gate twenty-two. Have a nice flight."
‘Maybe I could go to Genosha,’ Trisha thought. ‘I hear Genosha's nice and quiet.’

People stared at them, stunned, as they made their way to their seats. A demon, a vampire and a girl…it sounded like the set up to a bad joke. They had three seats together, right up in the back corner, right next to the bathrooms. The vampire took the window seat…rather ironic since it was daylight outside…the demon sat in the middle, the girl on the aisle. All three returned any stares that came their way with a cool, unflinching gaze. Nobody dared say a thing to them.
“Mutants…” Someone said under their breath. “Gotta be mutants.”
“Are we safe?” Someone else said.
“What are they gonna do? Wreak the plane? They’d go down with us!”
“What if they can fly?”
“Oh for God’s sake! They’re just kids!” A man stood up and turned on them. “They paid for their tickets like the rest of us! I’m sure they just want to get to wherever they’re going without your harassment!”
The trio smiled warmly at the man and no more was said, though people tendered to give them a rather wide berth whenever they needed to use the bathroom.
It was a long flight, and Kurt didn’t help matters. He just wasn’t a sit still kind of guy. He had a tendency to put a foot behind his head to get the kinks out, and he’d start purring whenever he fell asleep. Not that he fell asleep all that often, not with Amanda is such close proximity.
Things had been fine while they’d been watching Terminator 3, Kurt’s golden eyes had been glued to the screen, the five dollar headphone securely rammed into his pointed ears, a large bottle of soda in one hand and some airline nuts in the other.
It was when I Captured The Castle came on that things got…potentially out of hand. None of the trio were particularly interested in the movie. Rogue had dug out a thick paperback book of vampire stories and retreated behind it. Kurt and Amanda had turned to each other for their…entertainment. Rogue was glad the lights had been dimmed to allow for movie viewing or sleeping. She had her earphones rammed in place, music up loud. She couldn’t begrudge them their need for intimacy…though they were bordering on the indecent. But it hurt her to see it. So much in love…and able to express it in a way she never could.
But when they twisted in their seats and ended up half sprawled across her, her remorse turned to anger.
“Will you two please show a little restraint?” She hissed at them.
“Sorry…” Kurt said meekly. “It’s just…”
“Yeah, yeah, I know…” Rogue waved him off. “But if yer fixing to join the Mile High Club the usual setting is over there.” She pointed to the bathroom door.
She could see the pair blush heavily, even in the darkened cabin. They sat back rather primly in their seats, Kurt grabbing his headphones and running through the music selection while Amanda suddenly found an article in the in-flight magazine extremely interesting.

If the other passengers of Flight 206 thought the demon and the vampire were strange, then they had yet to see the welcoming committee in the Berlin airport.
Most noticeable of the group were the Centaurs. The biggest of them wore the smug smile of a man who knew exactly what was coming and was glad he didn't have to go through it.
The comparatively diminutive Centaur by his side wore an entirely different smirk, known only to observant women of a certain calibre. The remainder of the party were human. Or at least, apparently so. An older man and woman with three near-identical girls. A blind woman with faded auburn hair, and a strawberry-blonde with a sour expression.
The identical girls stood on their tiptoes as each passenger disembarked, though the younger of the trio eventually climbed the big Centaur.
"I'm a carpenter, not a stepladder, madchen."
"But I just wanna see KURTI," she complained. "Think we'll recognise him?"
"If I say I'm sure, wilt thou get off my withers?"
"THEREHEIS!"
A unified, jubilant shriek. "KURTI!"
And the blue demon was suddenly buried in females.
"It's the tail," said Rogue to a passing gawker. "Chicks dig the tail."

Rogue and Amanda stood back and allowed the little family reunion…they couldn’t have done anything if they’d wanted too. There were small girls hanging off Kurt and an older woman embracing them all. They couldn’t help but smile.
Kurt managed to disentangle himself from the intensive group hug, but the smallest of the girls still hung from his arm.
“You’ve gotten so strong!” She squealed. “I bet you’re stronger than Andrei now!”
“I don’t know if I’d take that bet, Erika.” He said as he lowered her to the ground.
“So…” A low voice murmured. “This is Amanda…” The woman with milky eyes cupped the dusky-skinned girl’s face. Kurt hadn’t made introductions, how could a blind woman possibly know where she was, let alone who she was? “Yes…he has chosen well…”
Amanda looked at Kurt a little fearfully.
“And about time too.” Andrei beamed. “We were beginning to think we’d never get him properly wed!”
At this the strawberry-blonde’s scowl got even scowlier…
The older woman immediately went over to Amanda. “Where are my manners?” She said as she wrapped the girl up in an enormous hug. “Welcome to the family.” She held a hand out to Rogue. “Both of you.”
“You CAN hug her, Mama.” Kurt said. Obviously he had at some point warned her about her powers.
She released Amanda, who was immediately swamped with little sisters, and hugged Rogue warmly, carefully keeping the scarf that was around her head against the pale girl’s cheek. Rogue was a little taken aback, no one had ever hugged her like this, not even Irene BEFORE her powers had manifested.
“You’re marrying Kurti?” One of the identical girls asked.
“Yeah.” Amanda confirmed.
“How soon?” Another asked.
“Well…we haven’t…”
“Show us the ring!” The third demanded.
“And how do you fare, child?” Kurt turned to face Margali as she placed a hand on his arm. “Andrei told us all what happened…and I of course…”
“I’m okay.” He cut her off.
“I wish I could have warned you…spared you…” She whispered. “Destiny cannot be altered…” She smiled towards Amanda, who was now being hugged by both Astrid and Johannes Wagner, the girls having moved on to their big ‘sister’. “But fate swings both ways…for each low there is a high. Your past pain will be equalled by your future joy…”
"I get it," Kurt said, hugging Margali. "It's getting better...It can't get much worse." He laughed, even though it wasn't much of a joke, then spotted Frau Guismann. Laura.
His best friend's wife.
"Laura!" He shook her hand. "Sorry I missed the wedding. There were exams." There was something about her lights... ‘Oh HO... Andrei, you dog.’
"Liebchen," Laura picked him up wholesale and muffled his head into her blouse. "Thou'rt as dear to me as my darling husband." And in a low whisper into his ear, added, "Don't you DARE tell him first or I'll hoof you where your wife'll regret it."
"Ohey," Kurt managed. Laura was, after all, a Lowhard. That meant strong-willed women who were USED to marching all over their men. And anyone else in the vicinity. He waited until she put him down. "After such a warm welcome, how could I NOT call thee schwester? Congratulations on nailing the thickest lug in Heirelgart."
"Funny," Andrei said with an arched eyebrow. "I was gonna say that to THY beloved...."
Amanda, even though she was severely croggled, had to laugh.

After collecting their luggage, most of which Kurt shouldered on his own, showing off his new muscularity to his little sisters, they headed for the car park, to the great relief of most of the patronage. Two centaurs and a demon, no matter how adored they might be, had a tendency to make the average traveller more than a little nervous.
The two youngest Wagners skipped ahead to a sleek, silvery tube on wheels, one of those old mobile homes from the sixties. It looked like a spaceship, and given the mixture of passengers, seemed entirely appropriate.
Kurt’s face split into his trademark grin when he saw it. “When did we pick this up?” He asked.
“A couple of weeks ago.” Johannes told him. “This is its maiden voyage, so to speak. We thought we’d save it for you…”
“Do I get to drive it?” Kurt beamed.
Amanda shook her head. “What is it with guys and cars?”
“I dunno if I’d call it a car…” Rogue frowned.
“Kurti’s just excited ‘cos it’s new.” Anja beamed.
“New?” Rogue arched a brow. “That thing’s gotta be a thousand years old!”
“It’s new to us.” Anja pouted.
“It’s not old.” Amanda said. “It’s a classic!”
Johannes laughed. “I can see what you see in her, boy.”

It was a long and very interesting trip. Apparently, Heirelgart was technologically behind the rest of the world, and anything new was an instant fascination. Heirelgart's first computer had to be set up in the village square, owing to all the gawkers.
The last big thing in Heirelgart was the discovery of the Internet. Plenty of villagers were shocked and fascinated at what the 'mad naked Americans' apparently got up to, and were willing to share with the whole wide world.
"You can get programs to block that sort of stuff, you know," said Amanda.
"Ja," said Erika. "We got a million of 'em."

Amanda's first view of Heirelgart was a glimpse of light between the trees. The dark outline of a church spire... and then the perfect view of a fairytale. The cobbled square was lit up with festive lanterns, and a great feast was laid out on long tables, each bustled about by swarms of women. Two-legged or four-legged, it didn't matter. Dark or pale meant nothing to them, here.
They were all PEOPLE.
Amanda knew, right then, where the legendary lost paradise was. It was right here. Heirelgart.
Kurt's home.
Music played her out of the trailer, arm in arm with her beloved, and little kids gambolled around their feet.
Something like a golem said something in a language she didn't understand and picked her up in one lumpish hand.
The creature holding her smiled. It had to be a smile - if a hillock could get up and walk, then it would smile like this being.
"Gorisch! [Put her down]!" A centaur female pointed firmly at the street. "[DOWN!]"
"Gott..." Kurt murmured. "A real troll."
"Whoops," said Katja. "Forgot to tell you about Gorisch."
"He came walking down the road in late autumn, poor dear," said Anja. "He was afraid of fire for the longest time. I think some Auslanders might've got to his family."
"Poor kind..," said Erika.
"THAT is a KID?" boggled Rogue. "Oh mah GAWD..."
"Ah-deee!" Gorisch beamed, putting Amanda down so he could hug Andrei. "Ah-deee..."
"Ja, mein junge, I missed you, too." Andrei clapped him on the shoulder.
"Developmentally," said Austrid. "Gorisch is about two or three years old. He understands what rules are, and why they're there... but he can still throw the odd tantrum."
"It's gonna be interesting when he gets older," said Johannes. "We're just lucky his folk grow like trees and not like people."
"Schoen," said Gorisch, petting Laura's hair-end.
"How are you going to FEED him?" Amanda wondered. "I thought you were -uh- kinda resource-poor."
"We find out together," said a Heirelgart villager with a shrug. "Gorisch know's what's good for him and what's not."
"And in the meantime, we take him walkin' in the woods," added another. "If his people spot him and take him in, all the better."
"But if they don't," said a nice young man in a priest's frock. "Then he's one of us for good or bad. We can't turn away one of God's children."
“Father Gottfreid!” Kurt beamed hugging him warmly.
The young priest’s eyes boggled at the sight, and the grip, of the fuzzy blue elf. He had heard all about what had happened, the abduction, the…alterations...the entire village knew, and on consensus had decided not to bring attention to it, but Gottfreid had no idea how much Kurt had changed.
‘Dear God!’ He beseeched the Lord silently. ‘What has become of our elf?’
“It’s good to see you, Kurt.” He smiled as the strapping youth released him. The smile turned a little mischievous when his eyes fell on Amanda. “Your parents tell me we have much to discuss…”

Heirelgart knew how to have a party, no matter how far behind the times it was. There was music and dancing and singing and story-telling and lots of laughter.
She and Kurt got the place of honour, since they were holding a belated betrothal party. Young girls helped her wash her hands before they sat, and plenty of toasts were exchanged.
Amanda, though, had been well warned by Kurt, and only wet her lips with the alcohol being served. The mountains grew a very sweet wine, but she still wasn't all that hot on imbibing.
There was another priest at the long tables, an ancient man apparently constructed out of gnarled wood. He had a full head of wispy grey hair and the demeanour of someone who touched the world lightly.
He must be Father Heigl.
‘How old is he now?’ Amanda wondered. ‘One hundred and twenty-ish?’
Father Heigl made to get up, and his seat moved, sprouting legs and revealing itself to be his neighbour at the table.
"Oh, stop it," Father Heigl cackled. "I'm old, not infirm."
"Na, Vater," soothed the Centaur. "It's almost winter. We don't want thy arthritis biting thee."
Father Heigl sighed theatrically as he was bought around to face them. "The older you get, the more they mother you," he muttered.
"Only because we love thee, Vater," said Kurt. "None of us want to say goodbye to thee just yet."
"Ha! The Lord'll call me whether thou'rt ready or not." He laughed. "So this is the wonderful American girl we've heard talk about, ne? I thought you'd be wearing less clothes."
Amanda blushed. Heirelgart had somehow got the lasting impression that all Americans wandered around naked or near enough to it not to matter. Though Centaur standards of 'naked' were vastly more prudish than the modern standards, Amanda was a little prudish herself. "It IS almost winter," she laughed. "I wouldn't want to run around in short skirts and the like before spring."
"Ah, yes. Spring," sighed Laura, "So many things tend to happen in springtime."
Andrei, completely clueless, kept munching on his honey carrot salad.
"Thou'rt gonna have to hint harder than that, madchen," giggled Father Heigl.
"Does the whole village know?" Laura rolled her eyes.
"Oh, we know there's ONE thick lug who hasn't got the news yet," laughed Father Heigl's seat.
"Was?" said Andrei. "Something up."
"MEN!" Laura harrumphed. "Why do I even BOTHER?"
Kurt caught his brother’s eye as Laura sat down heavily beside him, flicking his rump with her tail. Andrei smirked and winked, so quickly only Kurt caught it. He chuckled. Andrei had always been like that…knowing far more than he let on.
It looked like the party would last well into the night, but beside him, Amanda’s eyes were beginning to droop.
“Liebe?” He whispered. “You did mind me about the wine?”
“Hmm?” She turned to him, bleary eyed. “Oh…yes…of course. I’m just tired…”
“Of course.” Astrid said. “You three must be exhausted. A day to get to Germany…then most of another to get here. I’d say it’s well and truly time we got you three to bed!” She looked about for her daughters. “And you three as well!”
There was a chorus of “Awwww…but Mama…”
“You can’t take the guests of honour!” Andrei protested.
“You can party well enough without them.” Astrid told him.
“Way parties go around here you’ll still be partying when we wake up in the morning.” Kurt beamed.

~~~~~~

The entire village followed the Wagner family, plus two, to the cottage that was their home. Rogue was a little struck at just how small the dwelling was. They said their goodnights to the well wishers, Johannes closing the door behind them, without locking it, Rogue noted.
“Now…” Astrid said. “We have everything prepared. Rogue…” She frowned. “Do you want me to call you that?”
Rogue looked at Kurt. The smirk indicated that he had indeed told his mother her real name…the name she hid from just about everyone.
“You can call me Marie…” She said, throwing Kurt a look that clearly said ‘I’ll talk to you about THAT later’.
“Wonderful!” Astrid beamed. “You will be sharing with Katja…”
“Sharing?” Rogue gasped. “But my power…”
“Won’t be a problem…Johannes has fetched the camp bed down from the attic…it’s perfectly comfortably…”
“Though it may be a little musty.” Johannes admitted.
“And Amanda will be with Kurt.”
Amanda’s jaw almost hit the ground. His parents were putting her in a room with their son? Sure, they were engaged, but…
“It is a small house, Liebe.” Kurt shrugged.

~~~~~~

She had thought, hoped, that there’d be a second camp bed, but her hopes had been dashed as soon as they entered the room. A solitary bed, certainly big enough to sleep them both in comfort, but still, a single bed that they had to share.
“You have not changed yet.” Kurt said as he entered the room clad in soft blue flannel pyjamas. How could he be so calm? He noticed her aghast expression as she looked form him to the bed and back again. He could imagine what she was thinking.
“Liebe…” He said softly. “You can trust me…”
“It’s not you I don’t trust…” She said in little more than a whisper. “Kurt…I don’t know if I…”
He put a finger to her lips to silence her. “You are strong, Liebe…” He smiled. “You have resisted my charms this long…this will be the true test, ja?”
She smiled, grabbed her night things and headed for the bathroom.

~~~~~~

Kurt had already made himself comfortable by the time she got back. He didn’t say anything as she pulled back the covers and slipped in beside him. She clung to the very edge of the mattress, as far away from him as humanly possibly. The night had turned cold, and she shivered slightly, though she wondered if it was from the cold or from the closeness of him.
“Liebe…” He said softly. “You’re being silly…come here…” She flinched when a fuzzy had touched her shoulder. “I swear you will remain pure until we take our vows…now come here before you catch your death.”
She relented, shuffling closer to him, whimpering when warm furry arms wrapped around her. So warm…she smiled as she made herself comfortable.
“This is nice…” She admitted.
“Get use to it…” He whispered.
“I don’t think that’ll take too long…”
As she began to drift off to sleep she knew her dreams would be full of him. Her eyes snapped open as she felt a strange vibration against her back. He was purring. She couldn’t help but giggle as a strange thought occurred to her.
“What?” He frowned.
“You’re a musical hot water bottle that never goes cold.” She smiled.

Outside the door, Astrid smiled. "Fast asleep already," she laughed. "I told thee they'd be too tired to try anything."
Johannes chuckled. "You win. I'm writing the invitation to M'lord the Count." He blew on his hands to warm them once they were out of their gloves. "Darn women. They'll do anythin' t' get out of a chore..."
Astrid just smirked at him. "Say that again when I'm up to my elbows in th' wedding feast."
"I surrender!" Johannes cried out. "I surrender!"
"Good boy."

The first day of December dawned with a light snow falling gently from the sky.
Amanda watched the gentle ballet of flakes, toasty warm under the blankets with her beloved. ‘I could definitely get used to THIS,’ she thought.
Golden eyes flicked open. "Guten Morgen, Liebe."
"You were waiting for me to wake up," she laughed.
"Maybe," Kurt purred. "You're beautiful when you're dreaming."
"And YOU," Amanda teased, "are way, WAY too sly."
Kurt smiled, looking entirely too sexy for his own good. "Just as sly," he said softly, then suddenly raised his voice, "AS ALL THE SISTERS OUTSIDE MY DOOR!"
"He's onto us," said a voice outside.
"Told you so," said another.
"Why waste the morning just TALKING, liebchen?" teased a third.
"Kissy-kissy-KISSY!"
Kurt just sighed. "Schwesters..."

“SLEEP well?” Rogue teased as Kurt and Amanda entered the kitchen.
“Just fine.” Kurt threw her a playfully menacing look. “You?”
“Like a baby.”
“You cried all night and Mama had to come in and change you?” Kurt frowned.
“That’s a bad joke.” Rogue scowled. “Even for you.”
“Where is everyone?” Amanda asked. She had heard his sisters before, but there was no sign of them now. Astrid was in the kitchen stirring up a huge pot of something that smelled divine, but there was no sign of Johannes.
“They are tending to the chores.” Astrid said, banging her wooden spoon loudly on the rim of the pot. “And you, young man, can go and help your father with the cows.”
“But…” He gestured towards Amanda.
“She will survive being separated from you for a few minutes, Kurt.”
“Cows?” Rogue arched a brow. “What are ya gonna do with cows?”
“You see a Seven-Eleven in town?” Kurt asked as he fumbled about in what turned out to be a closet by the door.
“You MILK cows?” Rogue sounded stunned. “You really are a hick.”
“I prefer the term PROVINCIAL.” Astrid said.
“Sorry…” Rogue said quickly. “I didn’t mean nothin’ by it…”
“Maybe, then…” Kurt emerged from the closet holding two pairs of rubber boots, one pair obviously designed for his unique feet. “You would like to assist?”
“Um…” Rogue took the boots with rising uncertainty, while Amanda giggled behind her hand.
“And perhaps it would be best if I showed Amanda how to prepare a few of your favourites, eh?” Astrid winked at Kurt. Amanda immediately stopped giggling. “You are going to have to know how to keep your husband properly fed.”

"OW..."
"Ach, let me. Thou'llt get the hang of it later," Astrid freed Amanda's hair from the knot in the kerchief and retied the cloth about the girl's head. "Nee! Lovely as the rose! Now to the actual cooking."
Amanda helped Astrid measure out flour, yeast, sugar, suet and some fresh milk still warm from the cow - which was delivered by a surly Rogue.
"You're welcome to it," the Goth announced. "Ah ain't never touchin' it again. Do you have any idea how them critters SMELL?"
Eggs came fresh from the henhouse, but herbs came dried from the loft, and it all went together in dashes and handfuls or pinches and spots. Mixed by instinct and not measured scientifically.
It was immense fun.
The whole kitchen was redolent with cinnamon and baking delicacies by the time everyone else was done with the farming for the morning. The men, Amanda couldn't help noticing, sniffed the air and became instantly more amorous.
"Get OFF me, man," Astrid was laughing. "Thou'lt let the porridge burn."
"We got daughters," said Johannes, deep into Astrid's neck. "They can stir, too."
‘So that's where he gets it from,’ Amanda thought, giggling because a certain blue and fuzzy elf was making love to her neck in turn.
"Oh puh-leez," groaned Rogue. "Can't y'all act like NORMAL people?"
"Ignore her," said Katja. "She's had a bad morning."
"Erika decided to throw the chicken feed at her feet," said Anja. "Poor Schwester Marie almost got pecked to death."
"It's not MY fault!" Erika denied. "It's Blue Jorgi! He swore blind that she was a real life vampire an' if I tossed some seed she'd have to stop to pick it up an' I wanted to SEE."
Kurt grinned, having surfaced from his free-range grope of her buttocks. "I told you wearing that get-up would lead to comment."
Rogue snorted.
"Besides, Erika," Kurt continued. "I told you a million times I actually MET a couple of vampires and apart from the pale skin, they look like anyone else."
"Pfui," said Erika. "I wanted to meet one, too."
Anja automatically knocked on the nearest door. "Evil spirits pass this house."
Amanda had to smile. "Why do I feel like I'm missing half of what's going on?"
They each washed their hands and face - Rogue was careful not to come into accidental contact with anyone - then sat at the table. Astrid ladled out healthy bowlfuls of porridge for each sitter.
It was a crowded table, but it was homey.
Johannes lead the morning prayer. "Lord bless this house and all who shelter under its roof. Lord bless this meal and those who eat of it. May we share long, fruitful, and happy lives - together or apart."
"Amen," the family chorused.
"Amen," whispered Amanda, meaning it with her whole heart.

There is a stunning amount of teamwork to arranging a wedding, and Heirelgart had a shocking amount of things pre-prepared.
Neighbours appeared with extra ingredients for the wedding cake. With white fabrics and furs for the dress. With tape measures and ideas for the dress. With offers of bridesmaids. With concepts on whom to invite. With co-ordinations of gifts.
Amanda felt swamped.
Kurt was chased out of the house so several women - at least one with four feet - got her down to a shift to measure every square inch of her body. Great lengths of fabric were pressed up against her and compared and a diminutive old lady - later introduced as Kurt's Oma - squinted at her and drew sketches.
The three sisters and Rogue got together with yet another Centaur woman and confabulated over the wedding cake. Something that looked like it was going to have seven tiers.
"Seven for heaven," chirped Erika.
"I've lost the translation again," Amanda admitted.
"The tiers of the wedding cake, dear," said a villager. "The number of them dictates how the marriage will go."
Erika began reciting. "One for fun, two for true. Three to fly free, four for a bore. Five lives in a dive, six plays tricks. Seven for heaven, eight's too late. Nine's just fine and ten's born again."
"Any more than ten," said Astrid, "And you start a second cake."
"Oooohhh.. that one's DARLING," said a random kibbitzer about the latest sketch. "You'll have to line it with fur, of course... the poor dear would freeze otherwise."
A second kibbitzer said, "Make sure it looks good with a parasol - in case of snow."
A third added, "I wonder if we can trim it with ermine..."
‘Ermine?’ Amanda boggled.
That was the moment she knew she had her head under and she was sinking fast.

Kurt was sitting in the branches of one his favourite climbing tree, though, just about anything that could be climbed was categorised as a favourite. This one, however, had wide, sturdy branches, and an excellent view of the house. His tongue was in the corner of his mouth as he concentrated on the clipboard in his hand, scribbling away, pausing for thought, then scribbling away again. A light snow had begun to fall, soft, white flakes settled into his hair and clothes and any blue fur it could find. He brushed the flakes from his board and continued his work.
“I thought thou had the sense to come in out of the cold…”
Kurt looked up to see Andrei approaching, his massive feet leaving little circles of green on the snowy ground. From his perch, Kurt was only just above his friend’s shoulders.
“They chased me out of the house…” He sighed, looking back wistfully to the warm glow from the windows. “They’re working on the dress….”
“Ah…” Andrei nodded sagely.
“Poor Amanda…” Kurt shook his head. “She’s not used to so much attention…”
“She had best get used to it…it has barely begun.”
“I wonder if she had any idea what she was getting herself into when she agreed to this…” Kurt glanced back towards the house again.
“She is getting you…” Andrei smiled, ruffling his brother’s inky locks. “That is all she will ever want.” He glanced at Kurt’s scratchings. “What be this you’re working on? Plans for thy bachelor party?”
“THAT, dear brother, is your responsibility.” Kurt reminded him. “This is the guest list…”
Andrei snatched the board from Hurt’s hand, flipping through page after page of names. “Good Gott! You know all these people?”
“I AM widely travelled now…” Kurt beamed. He quickly frowned. “Can you fetch Marie for me?” He asked. “Mama threatens me with bodily harm if I come within a twelve foot radius of the house…”
“Certainly…” He ambled off across the lawn, returning a moment later with Rogue AND Astrid. Kurt shot the centaur a look. “Thy mother insisted…something about you not needling information…”
Kurt rolled his eyes. “I wasn’t even thinking about that.”
“What did you want, then?” Rogue asked.
“The address of that lady who raised you…”
“Why’d do you want Irene’s address?” Rogue asked suspiciously.
“I figure she will know how to contact our mother.” Kurt said matter of factly. “I want to invite her to the wedding and I don’t know where to find her…it’s not like she’s with the Brotherhood anymore…so I figure…” He trailed off when he saw the incredulous look on Rogue’s face. “What?”
“Yer invitin’ Mystique!?”
“Yes.” He confirmed.
“Yer invitin’ Mystique!?”
“You already said that…”
“Yer invitin’ MYSTIQUE!?”
“She is my mother.” Kurt said.
“THIS!” Rogue put her hands on Astrid’s shoulders. “THIS is your mother!”
“Yes…” Kurt agreed, smiling warmly at Astrid. “Forever in my heart…but Mystique gave me life…”
“Without her…there would be no Kurti…” Astrid said, touching her boy’s cheek. “And for that…I will ever be grateful to her…”
“Man…you guys’ll see the good in anyone, won’t you?” Rogue shook her head.
“There IS good in everyone.” Astrid said firmly.
“Sometimes it’s just really hard to find.” Kurt smiled.

After the initial flurry with the dress, Amanda was sent off - with Kurt, much to her joy - to talk to the village priests about the ceremony and to set a date.
Kurt was partially covered in snow, and busy shaking it off as they went.
"Don't you feel the cold?" she laughed.
"Not so much, any more," Kurt shrugged and jotted down something on the clipboard. "Do you want to invite other members of your family apart from your parents?"
"Darling," she said. "I'm not even so sure about my parents."
"They're your family, geleibt... they have the right to be there." A wicked smile. "Or the right to say 'no'."
"All right. I'll give you my family after we talk to Father Gottfreid. Or is it Father Heigl."
"Possibly both," Kurt laughed. "Last I heard, Vater Heigl was threatening to arm-wrestle for the honour of marrying us."
Heirelgart greeted them as they passed, talking in Rom, German, their peculiar dialect of English, or a fourth language Amanda couldn't recognise. Kurt knew all four, and breezily changed between them without a blink.
The chapel house was a humble dwelling, much like the other village houses in size, if not building materials. Like the church, it was made of stone. Faith lasted. Everything else was temporary.
‘For limited definitions of 'temporary',’ Amanda thought. ‘Kurt's home - the carpenter's house - has been standing for a couple of centuries.’
Inside was surprisingly warm. The builders of Heirelgart had thickened the stone walls with insulation and plaster, so Father Heigl's old bones wouldn't become too chilly in the winter.
And Heirelgart's women also provided a great many blankets, comforters, quilts, rugs, throws and pillows. Heirelgart's history adorned the walls. There were rows which delineated family histories for a hundred years of service. Baptisms, first communions, weddings... All the celebrations of life.
The funerals, though a part of life, too, had been edited out.
Father Heigl's chair by the fireside was a throne for the frail old man, and he sipped hot tea from surprisingly strong and steady hands.
"I'm an old man," he said. "Possibly not long for this Earth."
"Thou'st been saying that for the ten years I've been here," said Father Gottfreid.
"Nee, it's my one excuse," he laughed. "Let me have it, ne?"
Gottfreid chuckled indulgently. "I know thou'st vowed to shepherd Heirelgart until the Lord called thee," he said. "But thou art, as thee argued, an old man. I'd like to lift some of the burden from thee."
This, Amanda suspected, was round four hundred and twenty-seven of a debate that had been going on ever since news of the betrothal had hit the town.
"Burden?" scoffed Father Heigl. "I can still hold a baby over the font, knabe... two gold rings and two lover's hands are but feathers."
"Maybe you can both perform the ceremony," Amanda chirped. "Somehow."
The priests stared at her.
"Ja," agreed Kurt. "A verse or a prayer each. A sermon each. Why not?"
Father Heigl started to laugh. "It's always the young ones that come up with the outlandish..."

‘…two gold rings and two lover’s hands…’
The words echoed in Amanda’s head as Kurt and the priests talked about highly religious aspects that she didn’t fully understand. She began to stroke his left hand, with its two very thick fingers. Could he even wear a ring? Could she show all the world that he belonged to her as she belonged to him?
She noticed then that the talking had stopped, all three men looking at the almost pained expression on her face.
“What ails thee, child?” Father Heigl asked softly.
“…two gold rings…” She whispered, stroking the second of Kurt’s fingers, what essentially was a fusion of ring and pinkie fingers. She looked at him with tear filled eyes.
Kurt smiled and pulled her into a hug. “Don’t worry. Liebe…my parents have been preparing for this since before I came of age…and I have been preparing ever since I realised I wanted to marry. I’m sure we have enough set aside to buy the gold.”
“But where would you get a ring to fit?” Amanda asked.
“It would certainly have to be a custom job.” Father Gottfreid said.
“Fah.” Father Heigl waved it off. “If we can get rings made for centaurs, we can get one for an elf…”
“And if we want to engrave anything on it we’ll have plenty of room.” Kurt beamed. He held up his hand, turning it around, he frowned slightly. “We could write the whole vows on it…”
“They do charge by the letter you know.” Amanda giggled.
"Back on the subject, kinder," said Father Heigl, tapping his cane against the floor like a judge with a gavel. "The date."
"The cake won't be ready before Christmas," said Kurt. "It has to cure."
"I'm not doing any more services at midnight mass," warned Father Gottfreid. "Once was more than enough."
Another old family tale. Amanda laughed because she knew that one. Poor Kurt had hung out for his first communion until midnight. It was hard to imagine that *that* Father Gottfreid was the friendly young man before her.
"New year's?" said Amanda.
"Way too cold! No-one wants to leave their house on New Year's, Liebe."
Amanda sighed. "I don't want to get married just before they haul us back to school..."
"Between, then?" suggested Kurt. "The twenty-eighth?"
Father Heigl did some mental math. "Ja. I think we can all juggle that."
There was a knock at the door and Andrei poked his head in. "Kurti... thy Mama sent me to haul thee away from thy betrothed to get measured for thy suit and shoes."
"Ach..." sighed Kurt. "And after, the jeweller will be here, na?"
"Nearly. Runners say the Count's Representative is due tonight."
Kurt kissed her, warming her to her toes. "See you tonight, liebchen."
Amanda sighed. "Counting the minutes."

There was a line of desks, each attended by a Heirelgart male. Each was busily scratching words onto parchment.
It hadn't taken long at all to transform Kurt's list into a growing pile of invitations.
Kurt's Oma Meirs showed her a pile of coloured sketches. Bridesmaids dresses, all. She only showed Amanda the top three finalists for the wedding dress design.
According to the detailed drawings, she'd look divinely elegant in a dress trimmed with ermine.
"But isn't it expensive?" Amanda argued. "You're all going to too much effort for me."
"Nah," said Oma. She patted her hand. "Thy family abandoned thee, dear. That means thou belong'st to anyone as takes thee in. Heirelgart is thy family."
"Maybe," Amanda allowed, blushing and flipping through sketches. "But we're still inviting my family."
"Blood and love have equal right to see thee down the aisle," Oma laughed. "Never you mind about the ermine. The menfolk are hunting for new furs as we speak. Those that ain't writing."
Amanda found one with a cloak. "Oh... Rogue would love this one. All romantically gothic. Blood red, too."
"Nee, she'd look like Weihnachtsmann. Turn the page."
The next one was perfect. Deep green to bring up Rogue's pale skin. Covered against the cold and accidental touch, yet revealing of the fact that she was a female AND she was beautiful.
And, it would also look fantastic on Kurt's sisters.
"We have a winner," Amanda smiled. "This one."
"We'll have to hide her black eyeshadow," said Oma. "It wouldn't be right for the wedding."
"Ah, there thou art," said Astrid. "Gekommen sie, liebchen. I'm off to feed the carp. Thou can'st help."
"I'd love to," Amanda grinned. "If I can."
"Go, have fun. I'm going to have to tie down the girls for measurements, anyway."

There was a weir reserved for the purpose of keeping carp. Each fish was fattened in its own aqueous pen, tagged with scraps of cloth to tell them apart.
"We buy them live from Kerlenzplatz, and fetten 'em up for Christmas," Astrid told her. "Well away from mud or they taste like mud. Yicht. The better you feed 'em the better they taste."
There were two carp in the Wagner's pen, one significantly smaller than the fat behemoth glistening in the liquid depths.
"Ever since Kurti turned ten, we've had to fatten 'em up a year in advance. This little titch," she pointed out the smaller, yet still huge fish. "Has been fattening since this past Easter." She broke up bread and herbs, holding bits under the water for the fish.
Amanda followed suit. "Yow... that's COLD..."
"Gotta hand-feed 'em if you want to catch 'em." Her other hand scratched the bigger fish under its scaly chin. "Gotta get 'em used to being handled."
Amanda followed suit with carp the younger as it chopped off pieces of herbage for itself. Despite the cold, it was a fascinating sensation. "It's a LOT of preparation..."
Astrid just raised an eyebrow. "Thou'st never fattened thine own turkey?"
She shook her head. "No. We buy it frozen."
"Buy! Kurti was right. You Americans use money for everything..." she laughed. "Sometimes, things you grow yourself taste all the better for the effort."
Amanda spend some dreamy minutes fantasising about a little farm with Kurt, and lots and lots of little elves... It didn't seem all that bad at all.

Kurt was incredibly bored. Gustev Jarrelmann, pins in his mouth, tape measure in both sets of hands, measured and remeasured every inch of Kurt’s body. Kurt was used to the measuring…just about every piece of clothing he’d ever owned had been custom fitted, if not by Gustev then by Mama or Oma. Most would find it rather intrusive…especially the inside leg.
“I’ve forgotten…” Gustev said as he pulled back for a moment. “Do you dress to the left or the right?”
“Both.” Kurt beamed…he could never resist that one.
“I get that from the Whisps all the time.” Gustev rolled his eyes. “Thank God centaurs don’t wear trousers!”
“Right.” He flicked his tail. “And left.” He jerked his head downwards.
Gustev glanced at the pad where he’d written down the measurements and compared them with the last set he’d taken. “Good Lord! You’ve grown so much!” He said without thinking. There was an awkward silence.
“It happens.” Kurt shrugged. “Teenagers sprout like weeds.”
"Patent leather, yes," muttered Frau Schumaker. "Wilt thou clip thy nails?" She put a tape across the back of his foot, taking notes.
Kurt thought hard. "I... I don't like being unarmed, Frau."
Herr Jarrelmann circled his chest with another tape. "Breathe in and flex..."
Nobody commented on his change. Once upon a time, he'd been ashamed of the way his nails grew into talons if left too long.
Now - they were a necessary evil.
"Verdammt... thou'rt going to use a heathen lot of cloth, knabe..."
Kurt grinned. "I make up for it in shoe-leather."
Frau Schumaker surfaced with her figures. "At least blunt them for the day, ne? Thou dost not want to ladder thy stockings."
Katja wolf-whistled as she came in, and unloaded some Christmas fare before shedding her coat. And it was that alone that let him see the small decoration on her coat's lapel.
Woven wheat and dried flowers.
His little sister was wearing a FAVOUR!
"Where did you get *THAT, kleines?"
Katja quickly hid it. "Na, Kurti... please don't make a fuss..."
Erika, always prone to snitch on an elder, smirked. "She got it from KLA-US."
His heart did a back-flip. "Klaus Jarrelmann?"
"Not that Klaus. The Klaus with all the MUscles," teased Erika.
"Hor auf, three-cheese-high!" Katja snapped. "It's none of your verdammt business!" She turned on Kurt. "And it's none of thine, either!"
"Klaus Jorigsohn?" said Kurt. "The TEAMSTER?!"
"It's 'roustabout', Kurti..."
"Reach forward," instructed Herr Jarrelmann, "both arms, please."
"You're marrying a TEAMSTER?"
"ROUSTABOUT."
Mama entered the room. "Pipe down," she said. "Settle thy fur."
"This is a matter of family honour, Mama..."
"Family honour's already been satisfied," sighed Mama. "Thy Papa already trumpeted at him and threatened him with buckshot if he put a hair wrong."
"Hmp!" Katja nodded at him as if to say, ‘So there!’
"It can't be much satisfaction if my own sister's ashamed to show off his favour in her own house."
"I'm not ashamed, Kurti... I just - couldn't... tell... thee..." She trailed off as she realised how lame her words sounded.
"Not ashamed," Kurt snorted. "Feh. Mama? Coulds't thou gimmie my pants? I'll only be gone a second."
Katja instantly snatched up the garment in question. "And what art thou going to do when thou'st has them?"
"I'm gonna teach that shiftless teamster--"
"ROUSTABOUT!"
"--a quick lesson in treatin' meine kleines CORRECTLY, that's what! Makin' you ashamed to show off his FAVOUR, I ask thee! What sort of a man is he if he makes thee *ASHAMED* of 'im?"
Katja massaged her temple. "Gott, I knew this was gonna happen..."

Jimaine Szardos had been in a foul mood ever since Kurt had returned…with that…creature…on his arm. Kurt was HERS damnit! Though, of course, she’d never actually told Kurt that…but he had to know! They’d grown up together! Done everything together! And there was that time when he was twelve and a half and she was just about to turn thirteen, just after her Mama had told her where babies came from and they’d wanted to try it out…but then old Stinz had come along and Kurt’d had been too skittish to go anywhere near her for weeks…
It wasn’t fair!
The creature had only known him for…what…a few months? How could she stake claim on his heart so quickly? No…it was impossible…he wasn’t thinking straight. She only needed a few minutes alone with him to show him the truth. He belonged with her…one of his own…not the creature from perdal l paya!
Trouble was getting him alone. If he wasn’t fawning over the creature he was with Andrei or his Mama or his Papa or any one of his numerous sisters…
Then she saw him…alone…marching towards the camp, pulling his clothes more properly about himself. He was in a rage about something. God he was beautiful! Even more so then when he’d left the safety of the village and travelled far away.
‘I must have him…’ She though. ‘He must be mine.’ She frowned as she wondered just how she could woo him away from the creature to which he had pledged his troth. The thought came to her as she watched the way his body moved, the broadness of his shoulders, the determined set of his jaw…
‘I think it’s high time we finished what Stinz interrupted four years ago…’

"Oh, Kurti, I missed you so!"
Kurt's vision was partly obscured by a mess of strawberry-blonde hair. He didn't have eyes for the gleeful face underneath. He was too busy looking for Klaus Jorigsohn.
He only paid attention to Jimi Szardos when she tried to stick her tongue down his mouth.
Kurt pulled her away. "Try that again, madchen, and thou might just have it bit off."
"Verdammt, Kurti," she snapped. "Can't you let me prove I LOVE you?"
Kurt bundled her under one arm. "WOMEN," he muttered.
"Kurti!" Jimi wailed. "I'm yours! For now and forever! Forget that Gadje creature and be with ME!"
Kurt scanned the campgrounds, looking for the man. He cursed. "Where the HELL is he?"
Jimi tried to twist around in his grip. "He? Kurti, what--"
"Klaus Jorigsohn, the shiftless lump. He's ALWAYS telling stories by the fires."
Jimaine smirked. "I COULD'ST tell thee where he is... For a kiss..."
He glared at her. "I meant what I said about biting madchen." And then he dropped her.
Literally.
Jimi was incensed. "THOU'RT MINE, VERDAMMT! I LAID CLAIM ON THEE!"
Kurt stopped cold. He turned to glare at her.
She took it as a sign of hope and ran to him, holding him around the chest. "Oh, Liebe... I knew you wouldn't forget. All those years, and you never forgot..."
"Jimi," he said. "I was rented out when I was a child."
Startled, she gasped and stared up at him.
"I didn't fall in love with the first person to 'lay claim' on me. What made'st thou think I'd fall in love with thee?"
All that came out of her mouth was a tiny squeak. She shook her head and tears fell from her eyes.
"You... you never said..." she murmured.
"It was between me and God," said Kurt. "I have business to attend."

Klaus Jorigsohn was not a man who drank a lot. And, for a Roustabout, he was on the smallish side. Make that ex-roustabout. He was a farmer, now, like most of the others, and the brew was an escape, of sorts, from misery.
"Ah, miene Katja," he sighed. "Her brother's in town, you know."
Bruna Jerlls - nee Jarrelmann - cleaned a glass with one set of hands while another pulled a tall one from the tap for another client. "We all went to the party, Klaus. We KNOW."
"First she tells me she can't get married before her brother does. Now she says she's got to warm him up to me." He sipped at his one and only tankard for the evening. "Warm him up to me, I ask thee... I PLAYED with Kurti. He's the softest, most easy-goingest soul that ever was born. Kick him one minute, he'd forgive thee the next. Not a mean bone in his body."
"Nee... looks like he's done and grown a few," said an unheeded spectator by the window.
Klaus just sipped at his drink. "What could Kurt possibly be like when he finds out?"
{SLAM!} The door rebounded off the wall so hard it made the entire bar shake.
"JORIGSOHN!" Kurti roared. It had to be Kurti. No-one else could growl and yell at the same time.
Klaus' tankard shattered on the floor. He'd gone white, which was something of a feat, considering his normal, coffee-coloured hue.
"Take it outside, Herren," ordered Frau Jerlls. "Or thou'rt BOTH paying for the broken glass."
Kurt - Kurti no longer in Klaus' mind - strode right up to him, growling all the while. "My sister's wearing THY favour," he said.
My what sharp teeth he had... "...ja...?"
His yellow eyes shone bright in the half-light and he seized Klaus by the shirt. "What did'st thou do," he growled, "to make her ASHAMED of it?"
"...meep..." said Klaus. My what sharp claws he had... He summoned spit to wet his throat and swallowed loudly. "I dunno! I dunno! She was happy wearin' it when we were walking together..."
"Is that ALL thy did?"
"YES! YES! I swear on the Bible! Her honour's intact!" Klaus threw up his arms in defence. "But - she-- she might've said something..."
"JA...?"
"About her bein' afraid-- thou... would'st... kill... me?" his voice dissolved into a squeak.
Kurt stood there, holding him up in the air and growling low...
“It is a possibility.” Kurt growled as he dropped Jorigsohn in the slush outside.
“But thou art a child of God…a follower of the faith…thou shalt not kill!” Kurt got the distinct impression that it was not entirely snow that was causing the spreading dampness in Jorigsohn’s trousers.
Kurt took a deep breath. He had killed…he knew it…God knew it…Fathers Heigl and Gottfreid knew it. He had been absolved of it…not in h
The one and only InterNutter (as seen on FFN and NFN)
http://www.internutter.org
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All in the Family

Post by InterNutter »

The title of Count's Representative is never to be taken lightly in the quasi-feudal social structure of the Schwarzwald. They are at once the Count's voice, as well as his eyes and ears.
They are almost uniformly older men. Serious and loyal, performing in their Lord's best interests and going wherever they are called.
Sometimes, they are called to judge. Sometimes, it is grim and nasty work. And others, like this, are pleasant and rewarding.
Kristoph Dammerlung rode well, regardless of whatever mount he rode, and smiled in anticipation at the little town spread below him. Weddings were the BEST. Sometimes, his Lord the Count would reward his representatives with a wedding visit after a particularly gruesome case.
The village had pennants and bunting flapping in the breeze, and teams of children swept the streets clean of snow.
"Not long, now," said his mount, one of the many Lowhards that dotted the Schwarzwald population. "Ah, I can almost taste the crullers..."
The village people were bustling about in the last minute flurry for the official greeting.
The Count's Representative was always welcomed as if he were the Count himself. And Heirelgart was one of the loyal villages that put on the best of welcomes. As they drew closer, he could hear the village players strike up some music. Lines of villagers assembled in the square. Humans and Centaurs and—
That very large being helped to the braziers to stand HAD to be a Troll, from his Lord's description of the creatures. But what was one doing in Heirelgart?
Ah, there was the happy couple, lined up neatly in the middle, best clothes on.
The boy was - markedly strange to say the least. But then, Heirelgart was a markedly strange place.
Lowhard slowed to a respectful trot as he drew into the village proper. People cheered and smiled, waving at him as he waved back.
The blue fuzzy groom stepped forward and bowed. "My Lord," he said. "We welcome you to our village AND our celebration."
He dismounted with grace from Lowhard's back. "And I feel truly welcome here. May I meet your lovely fiancée?"
"But of course. She is true to me, as I am true to her."
He stepped up to the brown-skinned beauty. "My Lady," he said, and kissed her hand. "I am quite jealous of your happiness."
She curtseyed and said, "May some of your own follow ours."
"Right!" Kristoph clapped. "That's the formal furfural over with. Where's the party?"
There was laughter all around, and Heirelgart relaxed.

The party carried on well into the night. Well…in truth the party hadn’t really stopped since Kurt, Amanda and Rogue had arrived, it would slow down, allowing people time to sleep and tend to their normal daily activities, but there was always someone toasting Kurt and Amanda in some way. The arrival of Kristoph Dammerlung seemed to have provided the villagers with their second wind. Rogue wondered how none of these people came down with alcoholic poisoning. She was beginning to understand just where Kurt got his enthusiasm and stamina from.
Things had quieted down, mostly because it was getting late and the young ‘uns had been put to bed. She glanced over to where Kurt and Amanda were dancing, or at the very least swaying to the gentle music emanating from a lone villager’s guitar. It was an unusual music…somewhere between classical and Latin…with a bit of jazz thrown in. She didn’t know if it was the musician’s, the village’s or the country’s style. Maybe it was Romani. There was so much about her brother and his world she just didn’t understand.
Gorisch was swaying slightly too, he was either imitating the dancers, drunks or the drowsy…it was sometimes hard to differentiate between them, especially when some villagers were all three. Gorisch…now there was something…someone…that nobody really understood. As she watched him the opening in what they assumed was his head did a perfect imitation of a human yawn, then the tiny mobile mountain shambled off into the shadows. She frowned, there was something about his staggering gait she didn’t like.
He staggered to a secluded spot just outside the village, then promptly fell into an ungainly heap. She ran to his side, as did many other villagers, but they could do nothing to get him back onto his feet.
Kristoph Dammerlung was attracted by the commotion and ambled over, beer stein in one hand, cruller in the other. “What seems to be a miss?” He asked.
“We fear for Gorisch.” A villager said. “He has just keeled over.”
“His breathing is not good.” Another added with a shake of his head.
“He grows cold!” A woman sobbed. “What ails him?”
Dammerlung crammed the remainder of his cruller into his mouth and lay a hand on Gorisch massive shoulder. “I would not fret…he is just settling in for the winter…”
“He’s goin’ into hibernation?” Rogue asked.
“Precisely.” Dammerlung beamed.
“Awww…” Rogue brushed aside some of his grassy hair in a gentle manner. Gorisch instinctively reached for her arm, like a child responding to its mother’s cares. Think clumsy fingers brushed the sleeve of her coat up and closed on the bare skin of her arm…

The first time her power worked, there had been a lot of pain and confusion. That was because of her mental processes encountering another mind for the first time.
And THIS was the first time she'd ever encountered something as alien as a Troll.
It was like being right next to a lightning strike.
Memories flooded her. Peaceful glades. The towering mountains of Mother and Father... the rest of the tribe... Good times.
Settling down for Autumn, digging nests for their sleep into the forest floor.
And then there was a roaring noise. Loud and frightening.
He'd woken up, running away from it.
But the tribe...
The tribe was asleep when the big yellow metal monsters came... and ate them up. Metal monsters herded by squishy-men with yellow hats, who lit fires out of the tribe. He'd run, then, before the metal monsters could catch him. Before they could turn him into a fire, too.
He'd run so far, so very far, beyond all the foraging land that he knew, into the warmer places where the squishy people were.
He was lost and scared and alone, but he knew CENTAURS were friendly and nice, so he'd followed one right into a squishy-folk nest...

Rogue wept uncontrollably in his sorrow. Poor little guy.
"Rogue. Schwester..." Kurt was gently patting her, soothing her. "Was is das? Are you okay?"
"Oh mah God..." she sobbed. "They BULLDOZED his family... and then they BURNED them..."
Kurt helped her up, rocking her gently. "Ssshhh... Nothing to be done, now, Liebe. I think we all guessed poor little Gorisch was an orphan."
Rogue just wailed into his shirt. Those fools hadn't known what they'd done. They didn't know the pain and anguish they caused.
Gorisch was empathically linked to his tribe.
He'd felt their deaths.
Kurt let her cry, despite the fact that her tears were leaving smears of black and dark purple on his shirtfront.
“He felt them die…” She whispered. “He felt it all…”
“Shhh…” Kurt soothed, stroking her hair lightly lest his fingers touch the scalp beneath.
“We gotta do somethin’!” She demanded as the images began to fade and she returned to herself. “We gotta track ‘em down! Make ‘em pay!”
“And how exactly are we going to do that?” Kurt asked. “Do you have any idea how many workteams could have been responsible?”
“Then we ask ‘em!” She countered.
“Ask them what?” Kurt frowned. “‘Excuse me, but did you happen to dig up a tribe of hibernating trolls?’”
“They butchered his family!” Rogue shoved him away angrily. “Don’t you care?”
“Of course I care!” Kurt shot back. “But nothing we do can change the past. All we can do is protect him…” Kurt touched Gorisch’s shoulder. “And his future…”
Laura gripped Rogue's shoulder. "He's one of us, now. We can't avenge his kin, but we can give 'im a home."
"It ain't right," Rogue sobbed. "They were MURDERED."
"Kleines," said Johannes. "Look at Gorisch."
She did. Poor little boy...
"Na. If thou didst NOT know he was there... wouldst thou be able to tell him from the scenery?"
Rogue looked. Really LOOKED at the way Gorisch blended in with his surroundings. "No," she finally said.
"Then it was nothing more than a horrible accident, kleines," Johannes soothed. "The people who did this - never knew."
Rogue sighed, wiping her face. "It still ain't right."
"You're in luck, then," said Laura. "You can speak for Gorisch to the Count's Representative. He'll take the investigation to the Count, find out who did what - and why - and then they'll figure out a judgement."
"If they're decent men," said Johannes, "and I suspect they are... they'll try to help us with Gorisch's upkeep."
It sounded almost - but not quite - fair. Nothing COULD be done to change the past. And it WAS probably an accident...
But he also had a home and an extended family to keep him safe. And an understanding one at that.
It wasn't perfect. But it would do.

Raven put the parchment down, blinked, rubbed her eyes and picked it up again. Nope. It still said the same thing.
‘You are cordially invited to the nuptial celebrations of Kurt Wagner and Amanda Sefton, to be held on the 28th of December in the village of Heirelgart, Germany.’ It went on to detail possible travel arrangements with fellow invitees, and the recommendation that she should bring a gift and was allowed to bring a guest. Provided, of course, that both she and the guest understood that the wedding was an occasion for PEACEFUL celebration.
"I got one, too," said Irene. "Punched in Braille by hand. I think he's serious."
"You THINK he's serious?" said Raven.
"I can't See anything untoward behind it," Irene shrugged. "I can't always See everything..."
Mystique sighed. "Only my son," she shook her head. "I wonder who else he invited?"

James Sefton walked up to his front door with a heavy heart. It had been that way ever since his daughter had refused to come home after the last incident with that…boy! Whenever they tried to contact her they were told she refused to have anything to do with them. They were informed of how she was doing, both in school and in her physical well being, but that wasn’t enough. She was their daughter for God’s sake. Margali had told him to wait, to let her simmer down, that she’d be back once she came to her senses…
“Margali?” He called as he entered the darkened house. It was odd that she hadn’t bothered to turn on the lights. He found her staring into space, two pieces of parchment clutched in her hand. He could see she was ashen faced, even in the dimness. He glanced at the paper in her hand, his eyes widened when he saw what had obviously drained the colour from his wife’s face.
“Nuptial celebration?” He roared. “What the hell are they playing at?”
“They are playing at nothing, James.” Margali sighed. “This is for real…”
“But they CAN’T!” He protested. “They’re too young for a start…”
“Not for Heirelgart…” She shook her head.
“Where the hell is that anyway?” He demanded.
“Not far from where I grew up.” She told him. “They are Romani…like me…”
“Romani?” He echoed.
“It is not uncommon for Romani to marry as young as twelve.” She said.
“We have to stop this.” He said.
“We can’t.” She said. “They are doing nothing wrong…they do not need our permission…”
He sat down heavily beside her, her hand was a soothing presence on his arm.
“Why would she invite us anyway…?” He asked softly.
“She didn’t…” Margali said. “HE did.” She held out the second piece of parchment.
‘Dear Mr and Mrs Sefton,’ it read in an extremely neat script. ‘I know this invitation will come as something of a shock to you, both in what it pertains and that you received it in the first place. I know you and Amanda have had a falling out, and I know it is because of me. My recent…experience…made me realise just how short life can be, and one of the few things that got me through was the love I have for your daughter. I love her with all that I am, and I always will, that is why we are making it official.
‘I would be truly honoured if you would join us in this most family of occasions, when our two families will forever become one, but I will understand if you are unable to do so. You are both in my prayers.
‘Kurt Wagner.’
He looked up at his wife as he finished reading.
“So…” He said. “What are we going to do about this?”
“Perhaps Mister Xavier has room for us on his plane.” She smiled sadly.
“Are you suggesting we endorse this?” He gaped. “That we actually approve and give our blessings?”
“They will do it with or without us, James.” She pointed out. “I don’t know about you…but I want to see our daughter…our ONLY daughter marry the man she loves.”
He looked at her for a moment, turning things over in his mind. He sighed loudly. “Give me the damn phone.” He said. “I’ll give that damn Institute a call…”

"Mail call," said Logan. He had a veritable sheaf of envelopes. "Slim," he tossed an envelope at Scott. "Poindexter," to Hank. "Chuck." He actually GAVE Xavier his envelopes. "Huh. Some f'r me."
{Snikt}
Nice thing about Logan, Scott mused, he always had a letter-opener.
"I might be the winner of the Publisher Clearinghouse sweepstakes," Logan deadpanned. "Householder, householder... Parchment?"
Scott had found his parchment envelope, sealed with wax. So had Hank. And the Professor had one too.
They were from Kurt.
Logan was the first to break the seal and open it. Then he burst out laughing.
The Professor read his out loud. "You are cordially invited to the nuptial celebrations of Kurt Wagner and Amanda Sefton, to be held on the 28th of December..."
"Told ya he'd find a loophole," Logan smirked.
"They're getting MARRIED?" Scott yawped. "They're way too young!"
"Not according to Heirelgart law," said Hank. "Apparently, by local customs, our young Herr Wagner was at risk of being left on the shelf."
Scott smirked. "Maybe Jean and I could--"
"You aren't native to the area," said Xavier.
"Rats."
{Ring Ring.}
The Professor picked up the 'phone. "Hello, Mr Sefton. As it happens, I DO have an invitation..." He laughed. "Logic. Not many students call when they're at home for Christmas." A pause. "Yes. We're all mutants, but Kurt is - unique." Another pause. "As a matter of fact, I have no objections at all with sharing a flight over. We have some vehicles which can get us all there in record time."
‘All?’ Thought Scott. It was going to be one hell of a trip.

“Happy Christmas Eve eve, Liebe.” Kurt said as he wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled her neck.
“There is no such thing.” She chuckled. She was getting used to waking up in Kurt’s arms now, though, true to his word, their nights remained chaste. But being used to it didn’t mean she was growing tired of it…not by a long shot.
“We do love to party around here…haven’t you noticed?” He beamed.
There was a loud banging at the door. “Time you were up, boy!” Johannes yelled. “We have to go get the tree! Just because you’re getting married doesn’t mean we’ve forgotten Christmas!”
“Be right there, Papa.” He yelled at the closed door.
“Um…why do I get the feeling you’re not headed down to the tree lot?” Amanda looked at him.
“Because you’ve been here the better part of a month now and you know we like to do things for ourselves?” He suggested.
“That’s gotta be it.” She smiled, biting him playfully on the nose.

~~~~~~

Breakfast was a rather quick affair for once, and Kurt and Johannes were soon out the door, armed with axes, rope and a cut lunch.
“Get a big one!” Erika called after them.
“Just how far are they goin’ to get this tree?” Rogue asked.
“All the good trees are up in the mountains.” Astrid said. “They have to find one, cut it down and get it back here. They will be gone the better part of the day.”
“And whatta we do in all that time?” She asked. “Do we decorate or somethin’?”
“No…that is for tomorrow evening…” Astrid shook her head. “With Kurti out of the way today is an excellent day to finish up with the fittings.”
“I gotta stand still and let people poke at me AGAIN?” Rogue grumbled.
“I have three whole weeks of it.” Amanda told her.
“And your gown is still not ready…” Astrid added.
Amanda groaned.
“Too late to back out of it now.” Rogue beamed.
"And too late for *thee*," Katja teased. "Thou'rt a bridesmaid, too."
"I'm WHAT?" Rogue suddenly lost her composure.
Amanda looked completely innocent. "Didn't I tell you?" she said. "Heirelgart tradition shows off the sisters of the bride and groom as bridesmaids. And since your Kurt's SISTER..."
"Down to thy shift," ordered Astrid. "All of your girls. Time for thee to get measured while Amanda has her fitting."
"Ah *knew* Ah'd regret lettin' him adopt me..." Rogue grumbled. "Y'all gotta be careful not t' touch mah skin--"
"We know, liebe," said Erika. "Kurt told us all about thee."
"Thy dressmaker will wear gloves," said Anja.
Sudden suspicion settled in Rogue's eyes. "Just how *much* did he tell y'all about me?"
"Ut. None of that," said Astrid. She had her tape measure out and neighbourhood women made themselves welcome. One bought freshly-cured furs. "Arms akimbo, stand natural."
"Think pretty," added Erika.
"Nee," mused a Centauress. "Dressin' their hair's going to be a problem. One brunette, one auburn, one witch's lock and a blonde."
"Honey-blonde," said Erika.
"What about me?" wondered Amanda as women pinned bits of cloth to her.
"Oh, THY hair is loose and down," said a villager, her mouth full of pins. "Naught else in it but thy veil and some flowers."
"All a bride's beauty is in her natural charm," intoned another.
A third got out a comb. "Best to see now how it will be. Nuthin' to be afraid of, madchen. Braids that tight aught keep the tangles out."
"It's frizz I'm worried about," confessed Amanda. "The last time my hair was loose, it was a frizz-ball."
"Ah, we have stuff for that," breezed Astrid. "Take the kinks out of a burlesque review."
The women laughed while Amanda blushed.
"What happened to natural charm?" Amanda wondered.
"And who said it was illegal to help nature along a little?" scoffed the one with the comb. "Thou DOST want to look thy BEST, na?"
"Besides," said Katja. "You gotta soak in the stuff WE have overnight."
"It's a paste," supplied Anja. "Stinks like hell's fury."
{knock knock} "May evil pass this house."
The ermine skins were largely white, save for a black dot at their tail-tip. This, of course, lent any ermine trim the effect of white fur with regular black dots in the centre. The rest were white hares or rabbits, chosen for their softness and warmth.
As for the black hides... they were older, but well cared for nonetheless. Deep forest green fabric was shuttled in, and pieces of tracing paper rearranged according to debate. White and green and black and MILES of thread were juggled amongst them all with eerie co-ordination.
Amanda was almost scared to watch.

Johannes looked at his son as the trudged through the snow. He had been dreading this moment, he knew he had to talk to him about…certain things. He just wished it wasn’t so difficult.
“So…” He cleared his throat as Kurt turned to look at him. “Five days…”
“Yep.” Kurt smiled.
“You have any…concerns?” Johannes asked.
“Well…I hope Scott and Evan can make it a little early…like I asked them…well…I guess they’ve got to actually AGREE to be groomsmen first…but I’m sure they will…but they need to get here in time for Herr Jarrelmann and Frau Schumaker to make their suits.” He said. “And there’s been some problems with the flowers…Amanda loves tulips and we’ve been having a devil of a time…” He spat on the ground and muttered “…follow us not…” before continuing without missing a beat. “…getting them for her bouquet…we might have to go with Hannah’s hot house roses…but Amanda’s so got her heart set on tulips…”
Johannes smiles as his son rambled on about the most bizarre and often insignificant little details of the coming festivities. Kurt had always had the habit of rambling when he was nervous, and Johannes was glad to see his boy was in fact as uncertain as any groom-to-be…it made everything seem so normal.
“Of course!” He said as a sudden idea came to him. “I can get Herr Professor to bring some with him from America. Amanda will be so happy! I’ll have to phone him as soon as we get back…”
“Kurt…” Johannes said, stopping the boy before he could begin again. “That’s not exactly the concerns I was referring to.” Kurt frowned. “There will be certain…expectations…especially when you get to the House of New Beginnings…”
“Oh…” Kurt whispered. He blushed slightly, chuckled quietly. “Don’t worry…I pretty much have that covered…”
Johannes frowned. “I thought you and Amanda weren’t…”
“We’re not!” Kurt cut him off. “We haven’t…EVER! I have far too much respect for her to dishonour her like that! It just…Herr Weiss…”
Johannes stiffened at both the name and the tremble it brought to Kurt’s voice. He didn’t know exactly what that Verflucht man had made his boy do, Kurt refused to go into any details, but the books Herr Weiss’s ‘clients’ had given him spoke volumes. Kurt had been absolved of any wrong doing, his soul washed clean of them, but no amount of blessing could remove the tainted memories.
Johannes put a comforting hand on his son’s shoulder, Kurt had fallen silent as soon as that name had left his lips.
“Well, then…” He smiled warmly. “What say we find ourselves that tree, eh?”

~~~~~~

Evan scratched his head as he looked at the parchment in his hand. It had taken him a good, solid day to get over the fact that the K-Man was actually getting married. It had only been when Aunty O had confirmed that she too had received an invitation that he came to believe that Kurt was on the level and not pulling one of his inane but elaborate pranks.
Then he’d read the letter Kurt had enclosed with the invitation. He wanted Evan to be a groomsman. Evan wasn’t even sure he knew what that meant. So he did what he always did when he didn’t understand something…
“Mom? What exactly is a groomsman?”
“He’s part of the wedding party, honey.” She told him. “He’s sometimes assigned specific tasks on the day.”
“Kurt asked you to be a groomsman?” Aunty O arched an eyebrow. “It’s a great honour, Evan….usually reserved for the groom’s best friends.”
“I always thought he was closer to Scott…” Evan frowned.
“He can have more than one groomsman, Evan.” Mom pointed out.
“Just as he can have more than one friend.” Aunty O smiled. “Does he expect an answer?”
“Yeah…there’s an e-mail address on here.” He held up the piece of paper. “If I agree I’m supposed to let him know and be in Heirelgart by the 26th…for fittings…”
“The day after Christmas?” Mom frowned. “That’s cutting things close isn’t it?”
“The X-Jet can get us there in plenty of time, Vi.” Aunty O assured her.
“Fittings?” He looked at them.
“A suit most likely.” Mom said.
“I have to wear a suit?” He was flabbergasted.
“It’s only for one day, Evan.” Aunty O chided. “And he’s one of your best friends.”
“Yeah…you’re right…” He sighed. “I better go log on and let him know…”

"Can we lose the glasses?" asked the tailor.
"Not unless you like massive fatalities," said Scott. "They're the only thing standing between you and a force beam that can cripple a tank."
The tailor paused, his expression frozen in brief horror and shock as he realised his client was a 'Mutie'.
Scott had to smile. "Relax," he joked. "I won't shoot at you if you give me a bad hem. Most of us mutants are more afraid of ourselves than you are."
The tailor swallowed nervously and continued his work.
Logan just smirked, watching the entire game.
"Aren't you going to get a suit, too, Logan?" said Scott.
"Nah. Got one. It's a little ol' fashioned, but that shouldn't count where we're goin'." He gnawed on his toothpick. "How YOU doin', Poindexter?"
"It appears my musculature is going to overwhelm the average suit in short order," said Hank. "We're improvising with darts."
"Oh yeah," said Logan. "Shoulda bought popcorn."

Amanda strolled the markets, looking for something for the man who didn't NEED very much. Something that he would treasure. And maybe even wear to their impending wedding.
Kurt had vanished mysteriously about five seconds after she spotted some gewgaw that riveted her attention... and she suspected he would be coming back with at least one mysterious parcel bound for her name under the Christmas tree.
Laura was helping her look for something. Or hiding from Andrei, it wasn't certain which.
"Nee, he'd never go for that," Laura would mutter. Or, "Oh hell. Did he see me lookin' at baby clothes?" Or, "Ja. He'd love it. He has three."
Amanda eventually settled on a sparkling tie pin with a gold setting, and bundled it in with the mess of bags she'd already secured.
"Maybe you should be obvious about it," she suggested. "Like, DELIBERATELY show off some baby gear. Or start blatantly knitting little coats." Did Centaur babies need booties? Who knew? Not her, that was certain. "Things like that."
"Ach..." Laura's tail went down. "I don't think I could do it."
"You gotta tell him SOMETIME," said Amanda. "Or he'll start calling you fat when you're all hormonal and that'll be the end of him."
She looked pleadingly at her. "But I don't know how..."
"Three simple words. I. Am. Preg--"
"Don'tsayit, don'tsayit, don'tsayit..." Laura clapped her hand over Amanda's mouth. "Ears listen and mouths flap. We want THY reputation clean for the wedding."
"All right," Amanda conceded. "But Kurt's always telling me how Andrei's a little thick. You might have to drive your point home with a hammer."
"Oooohhh... parsley," Laura cooed. "Good for the blood. I'm gonna need lots, too."
"That's the ticket," Amanda encouraged her. "Be blatant. Maybe he'll catch a clue."

“Mein Gott!” Said Herge Yosikov, travelling jeweller. “Now THAT’S a finger!”
“Is it doable?” Kurt asked as Herge looped a tape measure around the outer finger of the blue elf’s left hand.
“Anything’s doable my young friend.” He smiled. “So long as you’ve got the coin to cover the gold…” He looked at the boy a little sheepishly. “And this’ll take a lot of coin…” He knew the people of Heirelgart, though rich in love, were not overly abundant in the money department. Two gold rings would put a strain on their finances, especially when one was a custom job.
“We have been saving.” Astrid smiled, placing a hand on her boy’s shoulder. “I’m sure we have enough…”
“When is the wedding?” Herge asked as he scribbled down a few measurement, began working on his quote.
“Five days.” Astrid told him.
“You’re invited of course.” Kurt beamed. “If you’re still in the area.”
“I’d love to.” He beamed back. He passed over the quote, making a generous discount in the actual labour costs. The people here were good people, he was happy to do for them so long as he covered costs.
Kurt and Astrid examined the slip of paper he’d passed them with raised eyebrows and surprised looks. Obviously they had expected to pay more. The pair exchanged a glance, both smiling.
“That would be wonderful.” Astrid turned back to Herge.
“I can have it ready by tomorrow.” He told them.
“That is even more wonderful.” Astrid smiled.
“And seeing as how I have a little coin of my own…” Kurt said, which Herge took to mean ‘since I have some money left over’. “I’d like to look at your necklaces…”
“Necklaces?” Herge arched a brow.
“My bride still needs a Christmas present.” He said shyly.
“Ah.” Herge nodded. “Have you anything particular in mind?” He asked as he pulled out a box lined with black velvet containing chains of various length.
“Something to reminder her of her time here…” Kurt said as golden eyes scanned the delicate filigree pendants on their equally delicate chains.
“She will have you for that.” Astrid said ruffling his hair.
“True…” Kurt agreed. “But I want something that will keep us all close to her heart…ah!” His thick, fuzzy finger gently brushed a pendant, obscuring it from both his mother and Herge’s view. “This one is perfect!”

~~~~~~

Amanda had been so distracted that she didn’t notice Kurt approach until a pair of blue fuzzy hands closed on her waist and lifted her up into the air. She didn’t have time to protest as he spun her around in mid air and pulled her into his chest.
“Hmmmm…” She sighed into his arms. “Where have you been?”
“Sorting out the rings.” He told her. “Can’t have a wedding without the rings…”
“You can get one?” She looked up at him as she took his hand and stroked his finger.
“Not a problem.” He leaned down and rubbed his nose against hers. “It will be ready tomorrow. Yours was easy.” He added, taking her hand and slipping the engagement ring back into place. He eyed her pile of packages. “They all for me?” he beamed.
“Yes…” She said. “All for you…” she deposited them in his arms. “To carry.”
“Are you taking advantage of my manly physique?” He arched a brow.
“I can think of many uses for that MANLY PHYSIQUE…” Laura said as she looked him up and down. “Though most are hardly proper to discuss…” She smirked at Amanda. “Especially before thy wedding night…” She chuckled at the bright colour that suddenly came to Amanda’s cheeks.

Kurt took one look at the heap of parsley in her bags and grinned. "Thou may'st want to stock up on lemongrass and mallowsweet, too. I hear it's good for thy health."
Glare. "I'm glad my folk don't wed thy folk, knabe," she said. "I don't think any of us could stand having any of thee in the house that long."
Kurt just laughed at the gentle-natured jibe.
"Nee, there thou art." Andrei embraced his wife, adding a peck on the cheek. "That's a heathen lot of parsley, liebchen..."
"Na, and I want some mallowsweet and lemongrass, too," she said. "Just something I've been in the mood for lately... Like a craving."
Kurt rolled his eyes.
Andrei was still pretending to be thicker than two short planks. "Ne? Well we all want different things at different times, I guess. Thy body knows what's good for it an' when."
Laura silently fumed at her husband. "Thou surely must enjoy being daft, man," she muttered, storming towards another herb stall.
"What did I SAY?" he said, play-acting at being obtuse so badly that even Amanda laughed.
"When she finds out you know," Amanda giggled. "You're going to be KILLED."
"Ah, but what a way to die." Andrei laughed, a deep booming sound. "This much fun *must* be bad for th' soul. Better go get her some sugarloaves an' carrots... and a heathen lot o' maple sugar."
"When thou dost offend, sweets will amend," chanted Kurt with a grin. "I think you like getting in trouble with th' wife. Gives thee an excuse to get treats."
"Watch thy wise ass don't get kicked, brudder," warned Andrei as he headed for a different stall.
Kurt just laughed.
Amanda shook her head. "Sometimes I think you're really lucky you two are best friends."
"Ach, forget them for the moment. Do we have time for cuddling? Maybe a kiss?"
"Flirt."

Amanda awoke the following morning, a crisp, cold and clear Christmas Eve, to find herself alone. Kurt usually feigned sleep, watching her until she awoke, but his pyjamas were neatly folded on the chair beside his side of the bed. She found a sprig of pine on his pillow, tied with a bright red ribbon, a little love token she assumed.
After she’d washed and dressed she headed downstairs to find just why Kurt hadn’t been with her this morning. He and his father had rearranged the living room furniture to accommodate the Christmas tree they’d hauled down from the mountains the previous day. It was standing majestically in the corner, resplendent in its greenness. Kurt was squatting on the wall, shaping the upper most branches. His eyes lit up when he saw her.
“Liebe!” He called brightly disappearing from his perch in a puff of smoke to reappear at her side an instant later. He swept her up in his arms and did the neck thing again. ‘God…he can do that forever…’ She thought as her knees began to buckle.
“Enough of that!” Astrid called from the kitchen. “Thou aren’t wed yet.”
“And some of us are tryin’ to eat.” Rogue added as the couple joined her at the table. “So…what’re we doin’ today?” She asked Astrid. “More fittin’s?”
“Neh…” Astrid said as she ladled out bowls of spicy porridge. “’Tis Christmas Eve…we have to prepare for the morrow…”
“There be heaps to do.” Erika told her. “Garlands to make…apples to polish…”
“And why are we polishin’ apples?” Rogue asked.
“It’s traditional to decorate the tree with summer fruits…” Kurt explained. “Supposed to encourage spring’s return or something…”
“And with sugar cookies.” Erika beamed.
“Edible Christmas decorations?” Amanda arched a brow. “Sounds like your kinda tradition.” She poked Kurt’s flat belly.
“Why do you think we wait until Christmas Eve to trim the tree?” Johannes said as he joined the family. “Any earlier and there’d be nothing left with this in the house.” He ruffled his son’s hair.
“Papa!” He protested as the ladies burst into fits of giggles.
“So, eat up!” Astrid said. “We have much to do. Papa and Kurt will deal with all the outdoor chores while we ladies get to the cooking.”
“You just want to keep Kurti out of the kitchen.” Katja giggled.
"Nee, it's better'n having flyswat duty." Astrid bustled over to the pantry.
"Flyswat duty?" Amanda boggled.
"Used to be, I'd have one of his sisters standing over the food with a flyswat to stop people thieving." She bought out flour, sugar, spices, more sugar, baking paper and butter. "Turns out the girls'd steal more than the men."
Amanda laughed. "I'll try not to uphold THAT family tradition."
"Ach, cooks are ALLOWED to sample, madchen," chided Astrid. "How else can you make sure it's done right?"
"Man, I am LOVING the logic in this house," Rogue zipped over to the kitchen. "Can I help?"
"Three's a crowd, liebe. I'll teach thee next Christmas, ja?" Astrid smiled. "You help the girls shine apples."

“ACH!" Kurt flinched as the cow licked him. "I know thou'st love me, madchen, but I'm marrying another soon. Thou'llt have to put up with Papa's cold hands."
Papa just laughed. "She wants to let thee know she's missed her fuzzy udder-warmer."
Kurt sighed. "Sometimes I REALLY wish I wasn't good with animals..."
"On the up-side," said Papa, throwing hay into her trough, "She don't kick at her bucket with thee."
Kurt set to work on the milking as his bovine companion set to work on the hay in her through.
“Looks like thou art out of practice there, cheeseweight...” A cheery voice teased. “Or art thou thinking of another set of udders thou'dst like to get thy hands on?"
“There will be none of that ‘til after they’re wed.” Johannes roused.
“Thinking and doing are two different things, mein Lehrer.” Andrei beamed.
“And who’s to say I haven’t already sampled such delights?” Kurt retorted, his voice muffled by the curve of cow by his cheek.
“KURT!” Johannes admonished. “You swore her virtue was intact!”
“It is.” Kurt assured his father. “That doesn’t mean we haven’t canoodled up a storm…”
“He gets it from thee, thou knowest…” Andrei smirked before Johannes could protest. “I have seen thee with thy lovely wife…”
“As long as he doesn’t get too much before the wedding!”

~~~~~~

Rogue looked up from her polishing as she heard raucous laughter drift in from outside. “Wonder what they’re up to…”
“I doubt we wish to know…” Katja said from her spot on the couch. She delicately plucked a single piece of popcorn from a bowl on the table in front of her and threaded it onto the every growing string curled in her lap. Anja was painting walnuts gold while Erika twisted tiny pieces of wire around the stalks of Rogue’s brightly polished apples.
“The tree will look lovely this year.” Erika smiled.
“We have two extra sisters to help with the decorating.” Anja added.
“I only hope Amanda can bake as well as Mama.” Katja frowned.
“It makes no difference.” Erika snorted. “Kurti will eat it all the same.”
“Too true.” Rogue nodded. “That boy’ll eat just about anything…”
The girls laughed. "Ja, he'd eat dirty dishwater if thee put oats in it," giggled Erika.
"Liebe, he'd eat dirty dishwater if thee cooked it up as a stew." Katja said, spearing another piece of popcorn.
More laughter. "Do two pieces of meat and a potato count as a stew?" Anja laughed, blowing on her latest walnut.
"I know ONE thing he won't eat," said Rogue. "Kitty's cooking."
"Ach! Katzchen the poisoner," Erika rolled her eyes. "She's a devil on the internet, but she's pants in a kitchen."
"Y'all know about her?" Rogue boggled as the heavy scent of peppermint pervaded the air.
"Nee, we got email," said Anja. "She was askin' us about our cookin' secrets. Poor girl don't know pots from pans."
"We had to send her PICTURES," Erika rolled her eyes. "Gott, what was her mother DOING?"
"I think she's a school counsellor, near as I can figure. Kitty don't say all that much." Rogue shrugged. "I always reckoned Kitty never got near a kitchen before she came to the institute."
"Poor dear," tisked Katja. "We'll have to take her under our wings."
"Ach, I can see it now," Anja laughed. "Liebe, this is a MEASURING SPOON..."
Cackles, now.
"Nee!" Astrid called. "No speakin' ill of those that can't defend themselves! Thy tongues'll turn black."
Three fists rapped the table. "Ward it not happen," the Wagner sisters chorused.

“Something smells GOOOOODDDDDD…” Kurt purred when he entered sometime later, heading immediately for the kitchen. Several small sisters lunged for him but he was too fast.
“You’re not allowed to eat any of this…” Amanda protested as Kurt began sniffling around her shoulder, trying to see what she had in the enormous bowl she was stirring.
“Did I say anything about the FOOD smelling good?” He asked as he began nuzzling her neck. “And you are so much sweeter…”
Astrid whacked him with a wooden spoon.
“Ow!” Kurt rubbed his shoulder.
“You know the rules…” She said.
“But I’m not flinching anything.” He held up his hands to show they were both empty. His mother continued to glare at him. He sheepishly held up his tail which was clasping several candy canes. “They are for my sisters…” He began. “They have been working so hard…” His arms closed around Amanda. “I have all the sweet I’ll ever need right here…”
“Is he going to outgrow this?” Amanda asked Astrid as she attempted to escape Kurt’s attempt to blow raspberries against her neck.
“If he is anything like his father…” Astrid sighed. “No.”
Johannes, too, entered the kitchen with a cheery, "Something smells GOOOOOOOOD..." and immediately wrapped himself around his wife, nuzzling at her neck.
"That's it!" Astrid declared. "Too many men in the kitchen! Raus, raus, raus... Off with thee." {Bap, bap, bap} went the spoon, swatting at arms, tails and rumps until the male population of the house was thoroughly out of the kitchen.
"Oooohhh... Zuckerplatzchen..."
"RAUS!" {SWAT!} Astrid collected her breath and her normally patient demeanour. "Thou'rt in for th' long haul, madchen."
"Maybe I should make him peel vegetables," said Amanda.
"Na THAT is a PLAN..."

Meanwhile, at a certain mutant mansion.

"...twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five." Scott scrubbed his hands through his hair. "We're going to have to take some people on the Velocity, or there isn't going to be BREATHING room."
Mystique had kept the truce since her arrival. She was even disguised as a vaguely-Italian woman of indeterminate age. Right now, she was doing nothing more threatening than sipping eggnog and chatting amiably with the Seftons.
"Certainly crowded in here," said James Sefton. "Er. If you don't mind me asking--"
"I'm the birth-mother of the groom." Another sip. "Frankly, I'm surprised he invited this many people... myself included."
"Oh?" James' eyebrows raised.
"Ever since we reunited, relationships have been - strained, to say the least," she allowed. "The last time we met, I thought he'd never talk to me again."
"Ouch," James winced. "Sounds exactly like me and Amanda."
"Perhaps this event is an opportunity for reconciliation," said Hank. "Hors d'euvres?"
"Eeek!" said Margali Sefton.
“No.” Mystique said even before Margali turned wide eyes on her.
“No?” She frowned.
“HE…” She gestured towards Hank. “Is NOT Kurt’s father.”
“But I didn’t…”
“But you were going to.” Mystique arched a brow.
“My hirsute epidermal pigmentation is a fairly recent occurrence.” Hank told her, offering her a selection of bite-size nibbles on the silver tray in his massive paw-like hand. “Brought about by my own reliance on experimental treatments to keep my less socially acceptable traits contained.”
“Wha?” James goggled.
“He concocted a potion to calm the nasty side of his mutation.” Logan said. “It worked…but made him blue and hairy…”
“That IS what I said.” Hank turned to the smaller, but only slightly less hairy man.
“Yeah…but most people need a translator to understand what the hell yer sayin’.” Logan grumbled. “And they got enough on their minds right now…”
“How DO you feel about what our children are about to do?” Mystique asked.
“Well…” James began. “At first I thought she was doing it to spite us…but then Margali told me it’s customary for his people to marry young…and stay married…but…I don’t know…it’s still…”
“I see no problems with their devotion to each other…” The so far silent Irene spoke up. “Their challenges lie in how others view them…” She smiled. “But both have a fighting spirit…they won’t give in…”
Margali blinked at her…she sounded so damn sure. “You know my daughter?”
“Never met her…or Raven’s son for that matter…” Irene said. “My power is to see what will come…”
“You’re a mutant clairvoyant?” James asked with a frown.
“Essentially…” She confirmed.
“They’re not getting married because they HAVE to…are they?” James asked. It was something he’d been fearing for a while.
“No.” Irene shook her head. “As far as I can see they haven’t been that intimate…”
“Kurt’s an honourable and very spiritual boy.” Hank said. “Raised as a Catholic…I doubt he’d do anything outside the sanctity of marriage…”
“He’s Catholic?” James goggled. “There’s another problem…”
“It is also traditional for Romani to have their families early…” Margali sighed.
“I wanted to show people pictures of my grandchildren…” James said softly.
“What’s THAT supposed to mean?” Mystique bristled rising to her feet, hands fisted.
{Snikt!} "Flag of truce, Blue," Logan growled.
At the very same time, Hank was saying, "Calm down, calm down, calm down... I'm fairly certain that the previous statement was not intended to be as bad as it sounded..."
Mystique was barely keeping herself restrained. "Are you telling me you would be ASHAMED?" she growled. Her skin rippled and warped.
Margali Sefton was staring at Logan's claws.
"Blue..." said Logan. "Elf wouldn't appreciate it if you terrorized th' bride's family."
Mystique deflated a little - but only a little. "I still have half a mind to--"
"Stow it," said Logan.
"I think I need some fresh air," Mystique said through gritted teeth. The things she was mumbling to herself were best not repeated, physically impossible, and doubtless painful.
"Would anyone like some dip?" said Hank.
Logan withdrew his claws with a distinct {Snakt!}. "It may be just me," said Logan, "but I reckon you hit a raw nerve, there."
"But it's true," said James. "I WOULD like to--"
"Don't make me finish what Blue started," rumbled Logan. "Elf's one o' th' best people I've met. Anyone who DON'T like 'im ain't lookin' too good."
Margali Sefton swallowed noisily. "Maybe you should go apologise, dear," she suggested.
“I didn’t mean it like that.” James protested. “He seemed a very nice boy when he had dinner with us…”
“After which you refused to let your daughter see him…” Hank muttered.
“That wasn’t because he was a mutant.” James countered. “It was because he lied to us…he hid what he was…it was like he was lying to us…”
“Kurt’s always been afraid of how people will react to him…” Hank said. “He would have told you, shown you, when he was sure you could handle it…”
“All I’m saying is that I don’t care that he’s a mutant.” James continued. “But there are far too many people who will…I’m worried about what other people will do to them…”
“Have you seen the elf lately?” Logan asked.
“We haven’t seen him since that night at dinner.” James admitted. “Why?”
“Amanda told you he’d been through something, right?” Logan enquired.
“Yes…but she didn’t go into any real details…”
“Okay…I’ll lay it down for ya…” Logan sighed. “Elf was kidnapped by a guy…a mutant…an old FRIEND of mine. He was looking to make me suffer by hurtin’ somethin’ I care about…these kids mean a lot to me. He hacked the kid to pieces…sent the pieces back to us…”
“If he was…dismembered…” Margali began. “How…?”
“This guy had been experimented on…given some of my power…”
“And what IS your power?” James asked.
“Healin’ factor.” Logan explained. “I can come back from just about anything…so this guy…”
“Repeated the experiment on Kurt.” Margali surmised.
“Yeah…” Logan nodded. “Only thing is, Kurt not only got my powers he got his kidnapper’s as well…”
“Which are?”
“Enhanced strength and ferocity…Kurt can control it though, yer girl’s safe…but if anyone crossed him…”
“They wouldn’t do it again.” Hank finished.
“He said in his letter that his love for Amanda was one of the things that got him through it…” Margali whispered.
“I wouldn’t doubt it. He was a mess when he got back…he’d retreated into his head…” Logan nodded. “Yer girl was really the one that brought him back…”

Rogue rolled her eyes as Kurt and Amanda, a giggling mess of tickles and kisses, tumbled off the sofa and onto the floor with a thud neither of them seemed to notice. It was all very innocent…what with Kurt’s little sisters in the room, all of whom were now giggling and whispering to each other at their brother’s amorous antics…and the sprig of mistletoe in his tail’s grip which he waved over Amanda.
“THAT belongs up there.” Astrid said firmly pointing to the doorframe as she snatched the mistletoe from her son’s tail.

Kurt smiled sheepishly at his mother then bounded up the wall with hammer and nail to fasten the plant in pace.
“Is the eggnog ready?” He asked, hanging upside down in the doorframe.
“Ja…” Johannes said as he entered carrying a large container full of sugar cookies. “But if thou dost not behave thyself thy won’t be getting any…” Kurt pulled a face at the back of his father’s head that made his sisters giggle. He climbed along the ceiling towards the tree, his tail looping down to steal a cookie.
“What did thy father say about behaving?” Astrid warned.
“I’m decorating the tree!” Kurt protested.
“You know we start with the garlands.” She said as Johannes pulled the cookies away from the errant appendage. She passed one end of Katja’s popcorn string to him.
“He was born to do this…” Rogue smiled as Kurt attached his end to the top of the tree. Erika, the smallest, took the other end and danced around the tree with it, draping it elegantly through the branches. The rest of the family joined in, hanging apples and cookies from the lower branches as Kurt dealt with those higher up. When he was done he joined his father on the couch where he was working on an ancient string of Christmas lights.
“Why is there always a blown bulb?” Johannes muttered.
“We’ll find it, Papa…” Kurt beamed, though his attention was mostly drawn to his beloved as she hung cookies on the tree. Johannes just smirked knowingly when he noticed.
“Methinks you need no eggnog, boy…” He whispered. “Thou art already drunk enough…” Kurt smiled shyly. “Ahh! There’s the culprit.” He handed one end of the lights to Kurt and jerked his head at the ceiling.
“Who’s turn is it for the star?” Anja asked.
“I think that honour should go to the newest member of our family.” Astrid said as she pulled a thickly wrapped package from an ornate wooden box. What she unwrapped was a thing of beauty. Delicate spun glass entwined with fine filaments of gold. She smiled as she rose gracefully and offered it to Rogue.
“I can’t…” She said. “That thing looks expensive…”
“It is a family heirloom…” Astrid admitted. “Been in the family for generations…”
“Aren’t you afraid it’s gonna get broken?” Rogue asked. The thing looked extremely fragile.
“What is the point of having it is no one ever sees it?” Kurt shrugged from his position on the ceiling. “Never seeing it would be the same as losing it…”
“You all have the strangest logic…” Rogue said as she took it gingerly in her fingers and approached the tree. She looked up. It was too high for her to reach and there was no ladder.
“How am I supposed to get it up there?” She asked.
“With a little trust in your brother.” Johannes smiled as two furry hands hooked her under the arms. She gasped in surprise as Kurt lifted her easily, drawing her upwards to a more suitable elevation.
“You better not drop me, Fuzzy.” She growled at him as she held out trembling hands towards the top of the tree.
“You are not that delicate…” He smiled, but he held her steady until the star was securely attached. He lowered her gently then dropped down soundlessly beside her.
“Erika…?” Johannes arched a brow and his youngest daughter dipped behind the tree to flick the switch to set the lights ablaze.
The family gazed in wonder at the seasonal beauty they’d created for several long moments. Snow fell past the windows and the fire cracked. It was the stereotypical Christmas scene.
“Now…” Said Johannes rubbing his hands together. “Who’s for eggnog?”

====================================

New part by me coming soon!
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All in the Family

Post by Beboots »

Oooh... I was waiting for this! I was worried it'd been deleted, or something, along with the Nutboard when it went down... :(

...I'm glad it's here. :D You guys did a wonderfull job...
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All in the Family

Post by InterNutter »

"Wake up, liebchen..."
"...mrgh..." Amanda moaned. Too much eggnog plus too much carolling, plus *way* too many laughs plus midnight mas equalled a very grumpy future bride. "Can't it wait?" she mumbled.
Kurt merely turned down the covers and helped her upright. "Gekommen sie... up, up, up... Thou'll miss the whole thing."
"Mph. Soun'slikeagoodidea..." she attempted to return to her coma.
Then a four-sister grenade exploded into the room. Such shrieking and laughter couldn't be denied, especially when they whisked Amanda away to get dressed. All she remembered was being hauled around like a puppet by giggling Wagners - and Rogue - while several arguments went on about the house.
And then she was thrust into the freezing darkness of Heirelgart's winter streets, which woke her up in a hurry.
"Guten morgen," cheered Kurt. "Almost technically."
"Urgh," Amanda managed. "What sadistic soul thought up midnight mass as a Christmas tradition anyway?"
"Don't blame us, we stole it from the pagans," Kurt handed her a white candle, and lit it from his own. "But look - isn't it beautiful?"
The only lights in the entire town were the candles held by the worshippers. They twinkled like stars as they flocked towards the church.
And with one throat, Heirelgart began to sing. Amanda recognised it as _O Holy Night_, and hoped she didn't spoil everything by joining along in English.
She couldn't deny it, it *was* beautiful.
The church, too, was warm and welcome after freezing her ankles with the walk. So much accumulated body heat meant that no braziers were needed to defrost the parishoners, and the candles only made the whole scene more like the imaginings of Norman Rockwell.
When the village's hymn came to an end, a tiny altar boy stood in front of the pulpit and sang _Ave Maria_.
"It's tradition, now," Erika whispered. "But Kurti started it."
Father Heigl rose to take the floor, and Amanda could swear the entire congregation sat to attention.
"Another season turns," the old man began. "Another year passes... and change, our perpetual friend, welcomes us again. We welcome new faces and hearts to village, we celebrate new life," he winked while the entire town did its utmost to pretend ignorance of the meaning behind his words, "and we mourn loss. Such is the eternal circle of life." Father Heigl grinned. "But Christmas is a time of celebration and renewal. Let us forget the darkness and bring light into our lives. Let us sing and be merry, be joyful. Soon, we will have another wedding to decorate my walls, ne?"
They laughed.
"And if there's anything to be said, my friends, it's this: Let's sing!"
Father Gottfried let the old priest sit, and lead the others in song. Such harmony and peace could never be bought. Such joy could only be made by so many souls together.
Amanda forgot all about being tired or grumpy. There just wasn't room for it, any more. Not with a heart full of happiness and her fiancee by her side... and a whole village she could count as her family.

===========

Tags Nandi and runs like heck :D
Yma
Lubber
Lubber

All in the Family

Post by Yma »

Nutter... how can you keep up with all these interfics? I'm glad to see this one up and running again, it's pretty good. Can't wait to see where it goes...
I currently lack a witty signature. Isn't it tragic?
kiki
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

All in the Family

Post by kiki »

Good lord. You never cease to amase me, you know that? Such an abundance of *quality* fanfic is just what I've been needing. This story is so sweet and well thought out and I can't believe it all sprouted from one challenge entry!!

You know, I discovered this and decided to just read a few paragraphs befroe bed, but low and behold, here I am well past 2am having read the whole thing. Not that I'm complaining. Far from it. But yes, good foction tends to take me hostage until I finish reading it.
Slackers unite..... tomorrow!!

I'm like a super hero.... without powers or motivation.

She does art too: http://geocities.com/kikisart
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

All in the Family

Post by Nightmare »

Hehehehe... I even know where you "borrowed" the centaurs from. I have a graphic novel that has several issues about a centaur stallion in Germany around WW1...

Pah, can't find it right now... it's somewhere with my Nausica mangas...

But I seem to remember a Lowhard...
Don't hate me because I scare you...
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All in the Family

Post by InterNutter »

Yes, Donna Barr is one of my published Comic Goddesses :D I confess. Her Centaurs are irresistable ^_^

Stinz does periodically guest and cameo, since the Gieselthal is quite near Heirelgart, keep a weather eye out for the old fart :)
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All in the Family

Post by Beboots »

...'Scuze me for asking, but where might I get such books? I remember Stinz was in 'A Singular Day', but I didn't know he was a character from another book... :

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

All in the Family

Post by Nandireya »

Amanda had little recollection of the service. She remembered the singing, the smiles, the hugs from people who not so long ago had been strangers. She remembered the love. She remembered Kurt helping her into bed, the way he held her, the kiss that was not quite chaste, then blissful oblivion in his arms…
For a moment anyway.
She felt like she’d only just closed her eyes when she was rudely awoken by a self-propelled Erika. The littlest Wagner was jumping up and down on the bed yelling “PRESENTS!” over and over again at the top of her lungs until Kurt threw a pillow at her.
“I guess some things are universal.” Amanda giggled, giving him a good morning squeeze.

Rogue looked even more like death warmed up as she perched on the edge of an overly stuffed chair by the tree they’d all decorated the night before. She sipped rather daintily on the coffee in her already gloved hands.
Anya was sitting cross-legged on the floor, shaking gifts bearing her name in the time honoured tradition of children everywhere. Erika bounded into the room in an amazing imitation of an exited Kurt and skidded to a halt in front of the tree.
“I woke Kurti and Mandi.” She beamed happily.
“What about yer folks?” Rogue asked. The pair looked at her in astonishment.
“They’ve been up for ages.” Erika said. “Mama just has to have a big, proper, Christmas morning breakfast.”
“Aren’t we havin’ a big, proper Christmas lunch?” Rogue asked.
“Ja.” Anya nodded. “But not for hours.”
“Gawd.” Rogue moaned as she fell back in the chair. The way these people ate! She was going to return to Bayville a match for Blob.
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
InsanePenman
Lubber
Lubber

All in the Family

Post by InsanePenman »

Whee! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Do try and write more soon, as I think I may go mad without this to read. I loved every second of it. Made me wish I'd been born in Heirelgart. As stupid as that probably sounds. :)
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

All in the Family

Post by Nightmare »

Eureka!! Found it!

The GN: It's 'Horsebrush and Other Tales', by Donna Barr. It's got 15 stories of young Stinz. I also have a single issue of a 'Stinz' comic, which is a series of him during the war (the first world war).

I should probably look up more graphic novels by her. The comic was printed 1991, the GN was printed 1990.
Don't hate me because I scare you...
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All in the Family

Post by Beboots »

*nods* Thanks, Nightmare. :D

...Now I've got to work on where I can find 'em.... :

*is wapped by :offtopic smilie over the head*

Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

All in the Family

Post by Mad With Power »

Originally posted by Beboots
*is wapped by :offtopic smilie over the head*
Beboots, please listen carefully. If you are aware that what you are saying is off topic, do not post it. If I see further posts where you talk about off-topic smileys swatting you -- which you do, constantly -- I'll delete them.
SanFranGirl1982
Lubber
Lubber

All in the Family

Post by SanFranGirl1982 »

I love the Kurt/Amanda pairings!!!

Now I have this funny scenerio in my head of how Kurt would act after their first child is born.

[Amanda is in their bed breast-feeding their baby, who looks basically like a mini-version of Kurt. Kurt looks on with an odd expression upon his face]

Amanda: What?

Kurt: Nothing. I'm just jealous of my own son, aparently.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

All in the Family

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by SanFranGirl1982
I love the Kurt/Amanda pairings!!!

Now I have this funny scenerio in my head of how Kurt would act after their first child is born.

[Amanda is in their bed breast-feeding their baby, who looks basically like a mini-version of Kurt. Kurt looks on with an odd expression upon his face]

Amanda: What?

Kurt: Nothing. I'm just jealous of my own son, aparently.
:LOL That's great, SanFranGirl! :LOL
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
SanFranGirl1982
Lubber
Lubber

All in the Family

Post by SanFranGirl1982 »

I can't take credit for it. That situation is taken from one of the many (and I do mean many) various online web comics that I read, specifically this one----> http://www.sabrina-online.com