The New 52: Red Lanterns

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Aquaman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, the Flash, and more!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

When it comes to DC, I am a Green Lantern fan. I've gone all the way back to issue 1 and loved every second. One of my favorite things to come out of GL mythos in the past years has been the other corps, based on the colors of the spectrum, each representing an emotion. Loved this concept, LOVE the corps, with a severe bias toward Star Sapphires ;). (I sincerely love Carol Ferris)

I was curious when I saw this book. Red Lanterns were never my favorite, but the stories of Atrocitus and his home sector were intriguing, so I decided to give this book a whirl. I have to say, I am interested enough to pick it up again, but overall not sure. This is the most non-review ever. It could be Peter Milligan's writing, who hasn't done much for me recently. But I didn't get the purpose of the two stories, the one of the Red corps and the one about the guy on Earth. Clearly, we will see something unfold, but I wish there was a bit more direction.

But one awesome note: BLEEZ! I LOVE BLEEZ! I know she's barely a developed character and has done next to nothing in most books, but her story in Tales of the Corps was one of my FAVORITES. So, honestly, I am willing to give this book a read for Bleez alone. And she seems to have a nice role in it.

So, I'm in. For now!

"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I know not much about Green Lantern... stuff. But I did like this issue I thought it did a decent job of getting all the basics out there that I needed to understand what was to follow, and some of the characters seem like they could be a lot of fun.

As for the events on Earth, i am guessing that Ray will become a POV character for new readers to learn about the Red Lanterns through.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

It was all right. I'm not a huge GL fan and haven't kept up with the mythos, so I was happy that Milligan gave us a full run down of what was going on and what had been happening and the role of this particular core. It introduced the conflict, but didn't do much with it.

Honestly, this kind of felt like a "0" issue, a prologue, the introduction before the story really starts. Which is fine, I guess, given that it's an introduction for new readers into a very thick and developed mythos. I just would've liked the information to be folded into a story, rather than being just flat out told to us.

However, I'll be giving it a few more issues. I have read a lot of Milligan and I suspect that he's done with introducing and will leap into a crazy story with the next issue. I plan to be along for the ride.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I liked everything about this, which surprised me after seeing Milligan's name on the cover. The vicious costumed kitty at the beginning set the tone. I don't really have much to say about it, but it was one of my favorites for the week. Interesting set-up and I want to see where it's going.

I didn't know there were any Lanterns other than Green before reading this. The books are surprising me with how good they are and then I read the reviews with all the references to convoluted backstory and I remember why I haven't read very much DC.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir