10/1 Issue: Cheesy Apologies

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

10/1 Issue: Cheesy Apologies

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined for immediately after [Issue]Boiling Over.

<Jean> Jean could of course use her powers to generate heat and dry off, but she didn't trust herself right now. She got a little rough with the towel, making her hair stand on end as she sat naked on the locker room bench. It was cold, but she didn't really feel it.

<Jamie> Jamie frowned and sat down in his desk chair, dropping his keys next to the computer. Talk to me. He could feel how off she was right now and that was making him just as worried as her panic. Baby...

<Jean> She sighed, wrapping herself up in another towel and pulling her feet up onto the bench. We were just playing. Me and Carol. With powers. We were showing off for Miriam, in the pool.

<Jamie> Well that sounds like fun, right? His frown deepened and Breathless hopped up into his lap, startling him. "Just chatting with your mom." Breathless says hi. She didn't feel like she'd had fun. Jamie wrapped her in a mental embrace while he stroked their pup.

<Jean> She dunked me and I freaked out. Jean wrapped her arms around her legs and laid her head down on her knees. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the hug. If she focused enough she could almost see the doggie through his eyes. Give her snuggles for me.

<Jamie> Oh. Lots of things started falling into place and he hugged her tighter. You're safe, babe. Arcade is gone and he won't hurt you ever again. Jamie grinned and projected (as well as he could) while he leaned down and nuzzled Breathless.

<Jean> He was better at it than he thought and she smiled, forcing herself to relax while she took a back seat in his head. I phoenixed out and scared Miriam. She was screaming and Carol was lost and, like, asking wtf was wrong with me...

<Jamie> Carol. Jamie grunted his disapproval. She should know wtf was wrong with her. Jeannie, it's not your fault. The kid okay? Breathless sensed his frustration and whined at him. "I'm fine. Just a little mad at one of mommy's friends. I'll talk you on a w-a-l-k later." At least it makes sense why you phoenixed now.

<Jean> I know, but also I don't know, because, like I should be able to control the bird no matter what. Jean nearly heard that whine, and smiled a little. She loves her w-a-l-ks. She raised her head to look for her dry clothes. Ugh. Later. Then Jess came running because Miriam... she's okay, but I feel terrible, and they think I'm nuts, which is pretty fair, but uuuuugh...

<Jamie> You're not nuts. That made him frown more and Breathless hopped off his lap when he stiffened in his anger. You're grieving. You're healing from mental, emotional, and physical trauma. And if they think you're nuts, I'm coming over there anyway and I'll tell them otherwise to their damned faces.

<Jessica> Jess peered into the locker room and cleared her throat to alert Jean to her presence, "Just grabbing Miriam's things...."

<Jean> Jean jumped at the sudden voice and looked at the door. "Oh, Jess..." She swallowed at Jamie's words and his anger. "I'm really sorry about what happened..." Jess just came in. She huddled into a smaller space on the bench.

<Jessica> "It's alright. Miriam's fine," she gave Jean a reassuring smile, "I'm definitely not going to hold a powers mishap against anyone - I've had my fair share.... just don't tell Sebastian I used my powers on Miriam." She picked up Miriam's clothes and put them in her little backpack.

<Jean> "Our secret," she said quietly. Jean licked her lips. "Jessie... can we, um, talk... if you have time?"

<Jamie> Jamie rolled his shoulders and slumped in his chair. Want me to go or stay? I can be your mental passenger for as long as you need, babe.

<Jessica> Jess nodded, "Of course. I took the day off to bring Miriam here to play with Carol so I have nothing to rush off to." She zipped up the backpack, "I'll just bring this to Carol so Miriam can get dressed and then come back."

<Jean> I always want you with me. Especially right now. But if you have things you need to do, I get it. "Okay, thanks. I'll get dressed too then." She tried to give Jess a smile.

<Jessica> Jess returned the smile before heading back out to the pool to give Carol the backpack and tell her to watch Miriam for a while... and maybe track Tandy down to let her know everything was okay.

<Jamie> Nope. He kicked his feet up onto the desk and leaned back. Don't fall, don't fall. Perfect. You're my priority. Everything else can fuck off. I'll just be here, humming soft tunes in your head and sending loving nudges unless I need to butt in. Or you tell me to cut it out and shoo. Jamie sent her an image of his big cheesy grin.

<Jean> This time, Jean did smile, forcing herself to uncurl and set her feet on the floor. I wish you could send some body heat right now. It's cold and I'm naked. She slowly stood and stretched, then went to find her clothes. So I get a free concert? Sweet.

<Jamie> Naked? NICE. His grin broadened and was a bit more wolfy than cheesy. Um. I can try? Jamie thought warm thoughts really hard at her. How's that?

<Jessica> Jess returned, stopping at the doorway but not going in or moving to a spot where she could see in, "I'm just outside. Let me know when you're decent."

<Jean> She laughed, totally able to see that grin. His warm thoughts were adorable, and more than a little horny. She loved it. Thanks, she told him, pulling on her shirt. "I'm never decent, but you can come in whenever you want."

<Jessica> "I thought you were at least a decent purveyor of the devil's lettuce," she teased playfully as she moved into the locker room.

<Jamie> That's how we got pregnant, babe, he tried to joke. Oh. Not me. I knew that...

<Jean> "I am that!" Jean smiled, feeling it a little bit more when Jess came in. "I've got a Jamie in my head. Want me to say hi?"

<Jessica> "Sure," she smiled, "He doing okay since you got home?"

<Jean> Jess says hi, she told him, then sighed as she struggled into her tight pants. She had still been a little wet after all. "He's... dealing with it. All of it. We're together, so we're doing... okayish?"

<Jessica> "Okayish is good," Jess nodded, "You could definitely be forgiven for being a lot worse after everything..."

<Jamie> Hiii? He settled in and started humming and trying to not eavesdrop.

<Jean> "He says hi." Jean smiled and since she was still mostly clothed went to hug her. "He does appreciate you helping his dupe while we were... um, gone..." His strong presence in her mind was nice, and so was the humming.

<Jessica> Jess returned the hugs, sharing her calming vibes. "Well, mostly we went to feed the animals... the surprise bathroom Jamie was a bonus... It was nice talking to him again instead of getting the stinkeye..."

<Jean> "I'm sorry he gives you stinkeye," she pouted. "Viper just freaks him out. He reabsorbed that dupe, so maybe that'll be a good reminder that he can trust you." Jean totally knew she was getting pheromoned. She totally didn't care. All the good vibes, please.

<Jessica> Jess winced at the mention of Viper, "Um... yeah... about Viper.... she went on her mission to take out the Hive while you were gone.... and clearly expected not to come back... and we haven't heard from her since..." she sighed, "All we know is there was a massive explosion on Hydra Island off the coast of Greece. Which... if they had a base there of all places is kind of darkly hilarious."

<Jean> She shouldn't be relieved, but she sort of was, and she knew Jamie would be. He must really be holding to his promise to lurk since she didn't feel a reaction from him. "So... you think she's dead? I know you, um, were sorta close to her... so I'm sorry?"

<Jessica> "She was the last real connection I had to my parents... promised my dad to look after me..." Jess shrugged a shoulder, "It's weird thinking she's not out there anymore.... I guess she took her promise seriously though, she left a lot of stuff for Miriam..."

<Jean> "That's... good then?" Jean didn't want to be happy about Viper's death, not right in front of Jess anyway. She stepped back and ran her hands through her hair to try to untangle it.

<Jessica> Jess nodded, "Yeah... it's just an adjustment... she was oddly reassuring to have around... I know you don't understand, but that's how it was..." she swallowed, looking away for a moment, "Anyway, enough of my nonsense. This is about you and yours. That, I can help you with."

<Jean> "My nonsense sucks." Jean went to sit on one of the dry benches. "Did you hear what I told Carol? Out there?" She flailed a hand at the pool.

<Jessica> "Yeah... kind of can't help it... stupid super ears," Jess moved to take a seat on the same bench but on the opposite side.

<Jean> "I figured..." She gave Jess a bit of a smile and brought her feet up to hug her knees again. "Um... how much do you know? Like, about what happened to us... there..."

<Jessica> Jess smoothed the top of her pants with her palms before turning her head to look at Jean, "I only know what I've been told by the other survivors that wanted to talk to me."

<Jean> "Who did you talk to?" She frowned.

<Jessica> "Some of the people SHIELD were taking care of when they brought everyone here. Carol called and said their SHIELD on call therapist was way out of their depth so I came right over to help on the intake interviews..."

<Jean> "Oh." She'd been so focused on their personal situation she'd forgotten there were more people. "Um... are those people okay?" Shit, Jean. Some hero you are.

<Jamie> Psst. What did you tell Carol that was different than before? Jamie couldn't help it. He was curious... And it might make him feel a little less guilty for telling Bobby about the baby...

<Jean> She closed her eyes, fiddling with her ring. I told her Arcade drowned me.

<Jessica> "They've got a long road ahead of them.... most have been taken home now so I've set them up with someone local to talk to when they're ready. Tandy's been visiting the ones still here in the infirmary to check up on them. Doing her hope thing - she told me about it... then I came running to the pool."

<Jean> "She did it for me," she said quietly. "It helps." Jean filed away the news that Tandy was here.

<Jessica> "She was doing 'dance combat' practise in the gym - I followed the sound of the music." She offered Jean a small smile, "Offered to train with her..."

<Jamie> That was all? Damn. Not that that bit of information wasn't huge... But... Damn.

<Jean> "I like her," she nodded, swallowing hard.

<Jessica> "Yeah? She seems like a good one..."

<Jean> Jean took a deep breath. "Okay, so... Arcade drowned me, and Jamie and Anna saved me, but that's... the end of the story. Um, it started with... something else."

<Jessica> "If you're ready to talk about it, I'm here to listen," Jess offered Jean her hand if she wanted a more physical show of support.

<Jamie> Jamie smirked when he heard her say that. Reminded him of a radio talk show his dad used to listen to out in the barn when he was fiddling with his equipment. I'm Paul Harvey... And now you know the rest of the story.

<Jean> Jean took Jess' hand, then laughed despite herself at Jamie and gave Jess an apologetic look. "Sorry, that wasn't a fit of crazy. Promise. Jamie's trying to cheer me up." It worked, of course, and she gave him a mental hug. "Okay. So... Arcade took us out of my bedroom and dropped us in this blank white room. I dunno how long we were there, but we couldn't find a way out..."

<Jean> "Eventually, we fell asleep, but I woke up alone. I was freaking the fuck out, but then Anna was there. She had no idea who'd taken her. Never even saw the asshole."

<Jamie> Oh, we're telling the story from beginning to end? Eep. Jamie returned the hug and sent her a kiss for good measure. I love you, Jeannie. I'm right here.

<Jessica> "She's still around too," Jess filled Jean in, "In the evenings when she's not at her practice in the city... if you wanted to stop by and say hi, or just watch her boss the SHIELD medics around... but, if you do that, bring popcorn."

<Jean> Jean giggled a little, but clung to Jamie's mental voice. I love you. "A-Arcade had Jamie. It was just me and Anna when he dropped Jamie in... out of nowhere. He was..." She swallowed. "He was dying. I didn't know it was a dupe. He couldn't talk... he died," she sniffled, raising her free hand to wipe her eyes. "He died right there, right in my lap, and I thought it was him..."

<Jean> She sucked in a fast breath. "Turns out Arcade was making Jamie watch this. Trapped him in another room where he could see us, but couldn't do anything."

<Jessica> Jess gave Jean's hand a squeeze, "I'm sorry, that must have been awful..."

<Jean> She could just nod, still wiping the dripping tears. "Then Arcade took me. He put me in this twisted fucking funhouse thing. It was a maze, with traps and murdery bullshit. Jamie was in there too. We... found each other, but two more dupes died... horribly." And of course, she'd promised herself that one would survive. "Anna was in there too. Jamie would have died for real this time if she hadn't been."

<Jean> "He liked to turn our powers off and on at random to fuck around with us."

<Jamie> Jamie's shoulders rolled in his jacket and he cleared his throat, trying to unsee the memories her story was pulling to the surface.

<Jessica> Jess closed her eyes for a moment, "Thank goodness for Anna's powers then..."

<Jean> Jean felt his discomfort and sent him a burst of her love for him. "He kept doing shit like that... but then Arcade took me alone, a-and he got... he wanted to keep me." Her voice dropped to a whisper. "He tried to-" She couldn't say it. "H-he didn't... but he made me miscarry..."

<Jamie> Shit. Jamie wrapped her in his love. I'm right here, Jeannie.

<Jessica> "Oh, Jean I'm so sorry...." she knew what that felt like too. She wrapped her arms around the other woman. "I'm sorry you had to go through that..."

<Jean> At that, Jean broke down, letting Jess hug her while she sobbed. "W-we didn't even know! Arcade killed our baby before we even knew we were pregnant!" I know, she sent, returning the feeling.

<Jessica> Jess held her tightly and waited for her to calm down. Sorry wasn't a strong enough word so she shared her feelings instead.

<Jean> She appreciated it, Jess and Jamie's thoughts and emotions both washing over her.

<Jessica> After a long silence, Jess took a deep breath to calm her own self down before she spoke, "I think I need a cup of tea and some biscuits. How about you?"

<Jean> "Definitely... but I... um, I haven't told Carol about the baby. She already feels so bad for leading Arcade here. Jamie thinks I should, but..." Jean shrugged.

<Jessica> She nodded, "While that decision is ultimately yours... I would recommend against telling her... she's not in a good place right now... hasn't been for a while."

<Jamie> Jamie rolled his eyes so hard they felt like they might roll away.

<Jean> Jean felt Jamie's reaction. Don't hurt yourself there. "Yeah... I could feel it."

<Jessica> "She's great at helping other people with their shit... not so good at her own." She gave a helpless shrug, "All you can do is wait for her to be ready to talk and give her the opportunity... scotch helps but we're trying to get her to stop that."

<Jean> She nodded, trying to control her sniffles. "Well after the... baby... um. Arcade fucked around with us more. He killed more dupes. He tried to make me torture a dupe. Choose between the dupe and Jamie. Then I think he got bored and just wanted to kill me..."

<Jessica> It was sounding like a really good thing this guy wasn't around anymore.

<Jean> "I almost got him with the phoenix, like he couldn't control my powers anymore..." She sniffled. "So he drowned me. Jamie got free and, um, he killed him... by duping inside him..." She made a face, because ew. But also because Jamie wasn't gonna like her telling Jess.

<Jessica> Her eyes widened. Wow. Ew. Wow. "I can't imagine that was very pleasant from either side of the experience...."

<Jamie> Jamie groaned and tried to disappear into his coat. "Euarrrrgghhhh" Jeaaaaaanniiiiiiieeeeeeeee...

<Jean> "Yeaaah, it's -" She cleared her throat. "I'm worried about him, because he's not okay. I'm not okay either, so even though I want to help him, I don't know what I can do." I know, but I have to talk to somebody. Jess knows me, just like you do. She knows us. She understands.

<Jessica> "I know he won't talk to me... but I can recommend someone if he wants... As for you... the more time you spend doing usual things and getting into a routine again the better you'll feel. Sometimes there'll be setbacks so don't rush... find a pace that works for you."

<Jean> "Like blowing up the pool?" She gave Jess a sheepish smile.

<Jamie> That's not a usual thing for you?

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Yes. Like that. Or, in my case, venom blasting your husband out of bed in your sleep. I'm lucky he likes it so much."

<Jean> "I'm having trouble sleeping. Weed helps." She laughed just a little, then sighed. "I have nightmares. He's having nightmares again, too, and he thinks I don't know." Jean rolled her eyes.

<Jamie> Jamie sat up a bit straighter. Wha- Buh- Hpmh. He slumped back down and crossed his arms.

<Jessica> "I think nightmares are an occupational hazard of being associated with the X-men. Don't self medicate too much... but I'm glad you've got something that helps.... and someone that loves you. You can help each other through this... just communicate with each other."

<Jean> She knew Jamie was listening in, and his reaction made her lips twitch. Yep. Just communicate. "I am the queen of weed, soooo..." Jean sighed and lifted her left hand to show off her little ring with a real smile. "The only good thing to come of this is we're engaged. Like, for real engaged."

<Jamie> Not counting that as the real proposal though. Because that is a horrible story to tell our grandchildren.

<Jessica> Jess' smile was genuine, "That's wonderful news. I'm happy for both of you, congratulations." She leaned to give Jean another hug, "Took you long enough."

<Jean> "Thanks!" She happily returned the hug this time. "I knoooow. But we're finally back where we belong. He just said we're not counting it as his real proposal because it's a terrible story for our grandkids." It made her laugh and sniffle at the same time as she thought about their conversation the other day.

<Jean> "If we were going to die there, we were going to die together, so he proposed..."

<Jessica> "Oh I know about terrible proposal stories. Remind me to tell you the story of the night Sebastian proposed sometime. At least you have a good reason for a terrible proposal story," She gave Jean a squeeze.

<Jean> "You'd think he'd be all smooth," she giggled. "Jamie swears the third time will be the charm. We're engaged, but he wants to get me a new ring and do everything over. It's sweet."

<Jessica> "Oh, he was - I was the hot mess." Jess confessed, "I hope the third proposal is everything you two hope it'll be."

<Jean> "As long as there's no pig shit or death pacts we're coming out ahead." She smiled. "You were the hot mess? I mean... I was a bitch when he proposed the first time. It was just... the timing was awful. It wasn't that I didn't love him, but it was outside in the cold snowy slushy muddy snow, and a pig tripped him, and I was just like... OMG."

<Jessica> "Have you forgotten what I was like in college?" Jess replied with an amused smile, "Just don't let him propose on a farm this time."

<Jean> "We were all kinda crazy....er in college." That made her giggle and she felt Jamie getting a little surly on his side of the link. "No, he sold the farm, which is kinda sad, but no pig shit."

<Jessica> "Then the outlook is good for future proposals," Jess nodded and gave Jean a grin, "Shall we get that caffeine and forage for snacks now? I'm fairly sure Carol can handle Miriam for a while."

<Jean> "Caffeine and snacks are always welcome." Jean got up and went to gather her stuff.

<Jessica> Jess waited for her to collect her things then turned to hold the door open for her, "Might bake or make some lunch..."

<Jean> "Ooo, fancy!" She found her coffee cup and even though her milky, chocolatey creation was now cold, she shrugged and downed it.

<Jessica> "Fancy? I don't know about that. I make lunch every day," she shrugged, "Though usually it's just for me and the guinea pigs."

<Jean> "I buy lunch every day," she said with a nod, deciding to float and test out her teke to see if it wanted to behave.

<Jessica> "I could do that but I like to do it myself... Helps to break up the day."

<Jean> "I'm not great with the cooking thing, which I guess I should totes work on since I'm, like, for realsies engaged."

<Jamie> I'm not gonna force you to be June Cleaver, babe. Jamie hung up Breathless' leash and gave her ears a ruffle. Doing okay, still?

<Jessica> Jess glanced at her as they walked, "You ever seen Sebastian try to cook anything?"

<Jean> "That bad, huh?" Jean giggled. "I can follow directions, but I'm not like... June Cleaver!" I appreciate that. I'm okay. Did you and the baby have a good walk? "Jamie said I don't have to be, but we're putting real kitchens in his buiding, so we may as well use them, right?"

<Jessica> "Or just invite friends over that know how to cook and ply them with wine until they cook dinner for you." Sometimes she wondered if that was Sebastian's plan when he invited her to move in.

<Jamie> She did a very good job! She peed and pooped, but not in our neighbor's yards! Speaking of... Treat time! Training dogs was fun when they got so excited about cute things like cookies.

<Jean> "Yeah, we have Beth over and order pizza. Sooo that doesn't work so well." She snickered. "Bobby Drake was over too, but he just ate our Doritos and smoked my weed... high Jamie is a treat, btw." Good girl! Did you pee in the neighbor's yard for her?

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "I would pay good money to see that.... or cook for you. I love to cook.... and Beth can cook, she's just lazy. She's all self sufficient to upset her mother. It's her number one goal in life. You should hear the bitching from mama Braddock when we go to the London club."

<Jamie> Jamie feigned shock, I would NEVER! He gave the good girl her cookies. When they're home.

<Jean> Jean was developing a plan. She was very proud of it. Baaaaaabe, how about we have Jess come over sometime?

<Jamie> That was suspicious... ...Whyyyyy?

<Jean> To hang out? She wants to get to know you again, babe. She felt that suspicion and gave him a mental pet, just like soothing Breathless!

<Jamie> I'm me? Jamie frowned. Go play with your friend. This focus on his feelings was not fun.

<Jean> You and me both know you're not the same guy from school... and she misses you, like I did. Jean pouted and glanced at Jess. They were to the kitchen now, so she could only hope she hadn't noticed the telepathic bickering.

<Jessica> Jess went to the kettle and found a picture on the counter with a looooooot of orange. Miriam's handiwork. "I think this is for you...." she offered the picture to Jean.

<Jamie> No way in hell she misses me like you did or she needs to reevaluate her marriage.

<Jean> Jean giggled and turned the paper one way, then the other. Oh! "Aww, that's cute! It's meee!" She let her grumpy fiance see it. You know what I mean.

<Jessica> "Obviously she forgives you if she's drawing you such beautiful portraits," Jess tossed her a grin before going to the fridge to see what was in to make a lunch out of.

<Jean> "Well I'm glad. I'll have to thank her later." Jean was grinning now and she went to the counter to be nosy about what she was doing.

<Jamie> Totes adorbs, babe.

<Jean> She totally felt that he didn't want to continue their conversation, so she didn't. Jean dampened the link to ignore his sour attitude. "What're we making?"

<Jessica> "Don't know yet. What do you feel like eating?" Jess peeked over the fridge door at her.

<Jean> "Chocolate," she answered without a moment's hesitation, then giggled, covering her mouth with her hand.

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Hate to break it to you, but chocolate does not a nutritious meal make. Try again... We can do chocolate cake for dessert though."

<Jean> "Nutrition? We don't know her." She shook her head until her hair swished, putting on her most vapid expression.

<Jessica> She laughed again and shook her head, "I'll think of something."

<Jean> "I can make mac and cheese!" She floated up onto the cabinet and let her legs swing.

<Jessica> "That is a side dish!" Jess' voice spoke from the fridge.

<Jean> "Not if you put hot dogs in it!" Jean checked to see if Jamie was paying attention, then sighed. "So, Jamie agreed to meet my parents. Finally."

<Jessica> Oh lord. Jess shook her head at the counter argument then peered out at Jean again, "He did? That's great!"

<Jean> "Yeah! It's great, but now I'm nervous..."

<Jessica> "Why?" She ducked back down to pick up some salad items. If they were going to eat mac and cheese with hot dogs in there was going to be something green accompanying it, by God.

<Jean> "Not because of him, because he's... they'll be shocked I found anybody at all..." She looked down at her ring and straightened it, along with her other rings.

<Jessica> "Well, they shouldn't be. You're smart, funny and beautiful. You're a catch. And you own your own business." Jess set the items on the counter next to the sink, "And you should remind them of that if they start in on you."

<Jean> She grinned at the praise. "Now I remember why I like you!"

<Jessica> "You sure its not the free cake and all the guinea pig cuddles?" she challenged with a small smirk of amusement.

<Jean> "That doesn't hurt either." She wrinkled her nose at Jess. "I guess... it's more like... they're surprised I want to settle down, and they so don't get the whole mutant and superhero thing."

<Jessica> "You grew up. What's so surprising about that?" She shrugged a shoulder as she rinsed the veggies, "As for the superhero thing... not going to pretend I understand it. But it's a personal choice..."

<Jean> "My sister totes convinced my mom that I made Jamie up for attention." She floated off the counter, deciding she'd make that mac and cheese for something to do while she had a panic attack.

<Jessica> "Well that sounds more like a her problem than a you problem."

<Jean> "I don't know, since he has a dupe who decided he wanted to get paid to be dramatic and he's, like, an actor in Canada. Soooo, that complicates things..."

<Jessica> "Easy enough to explain. Just smack him while you're visiting and proof he duplicates." Jess offered her a grin to show she was kidding.... mostly. "None of this is unsolvable. Don't let them scare you. You've come a long way - you earned this. Enjoy it."

<Jean> Jean located the box of cheesy goodness and was contemplating the label and Jess' words. "I couldn't... I didn't tell my mom what happened to us. They wouldn't get it."

<Jessica> Jess considered that and gave a sigh, "No, probably not.... but they'd understand part of it..."

<Jean> "I haven't told them about, um, the baby." She opened the package and gave the dry pasta a sniff for something to do. "They know we were part of the incident, because Fury had to call them, but no details."

<Jessica> "I'm not saying you should tell them... but losing a pregnancy is something they would understand." Veggies washed, Jess reached for knife and chopping board.

<Jean> "Yeah, I guess you're right, and it would also head off the hammering about grandkids." She frowned. "Maybe."

<Jessica> "I would hope so...." Jess glanced over at her, "But that's something you should feel out... tell them when the time is right... try not to blurt it out in anger."

<Jean> Jean looked up at Jess with a grin. "You say that like you know me or something!"

<Jessica> She laughed, "That's what I get paid for!"

<Jean> She tore open the powdery cheese and tried not to inhale, mulling over her next words. "They might be out of luck for grandkids anyway... I have to go back to the doctor..."

<Jessica> Jess set the knife down, reaching over to give Jean's shoulder a gentle squeeze, "There are always options. Don't dwell on the possibilities of bad things in the future, try to stay positive."

<Jean> Jean nodded, biting her lip. "I know, but I kinda dwell. It's a thing." She made sure Jamie wasn't paying attention and took a deep breath. "And then Jamie is all... 'don't sleep with my dupes, cause then the baby is a dupe, and oh shit maybe all I make is dupes anyway' and it was... a lot."

<Jessica> Jess blinked at Jean. That made no sense. "I'm sorry, what?"

<Jean> Jean blinked at Jess. "What?"

<Jessica> "How did he get to that? Please explain."

<Jean> "Oh." She checked the link again, trying not to let her anxiety bleed over into him. "Um. I may have had sex with a dupe, and it freaked him out?"

<Jessica> "And from this he got to dupe babies?" Jess rubbed her forehead with her fingers, "He needs to see a mutant geneticist before he lets that crazy breed in his brain too much."

<Jean> "Well not specifically from that, but we started talking and it's not like he's ever, like, fathered kids before..." She sniffed the cheese and sneezed.

<Jessica> "Then you need to get him to go and see someone about it - like McCoy or one of the Maximoffs. Otherwise you'll both be worrying about something that might not even be an issue. And neither of you need to worry about anything else ever."

<Jean> Jean folded over the paper packet until she could cook the mac, since snorting cheese was a bad idea. "Yeah... we talked about that, too... it might just be paranoia from blowing up Arcade." Her nose wrinkled. "He barely touches me without wearing an inhibitor, yet when I got him a SHIELD one he decided to take it apart..."

<Jessica> "Maybe get him one to wear and one to tinker with? Sebastian can't resist taking things apart either. Or, if it's a trusting SHIELD thing, I'm sure Sebastian would be more than happy to help him with an inhibitor if he insists on building one himself, or Beth, even." She reached up to take a pan down for the mac and cheese, offering it to Jean.

<Jean> She took the pan with a sheepish grin and went to get water. "Yeah, he wants to do it himself, from his dad's plans, because just turning his powers off is weird for him... I get it, I just... am tired of him wearing that trench coat all the time." She looked at Jess meaningfully. "All. The. Time." She sighed. "And I worry about him."

<Jessica> "Yeah... that's not healthy... but I know he's not going to take advice from me, which is why I'm offering Beth and my husband as willing sacrifices.... or maybe a nice friendly blue doctor or a Maximoff for bonus points. Give him options. Lots of options."

<Jean> She nodded. "A laundry list of them, yeah. Because he's stubborn." She turned on the burner and stared at the water, willing it to boil. "Maybe... if Viper's gone, he'll calm down, like, with you?"

<Jessica> "Maybe..." she picked up the knife again, "I won't hold my breath though," she offered Jean a small smile, "It wasn't Viper's presence so much that I was associated with her at all that bothered him. That's not going to change... even if she is gone."

<Jean> Jean sighed. "I think a lot of it is totes Viper, because, like, of her working with Rott, but if she's - you know - and Rott is dead soon, too, he'll be out of excuses."

<Jessica> "Maybe... we'll see. I'm not going to push it with him... I feel like if I didn't make any progress by feeding the poor left behind dupe and your furbabies, it might be a lost cause."

<Jean> "I think you did, but remember I said stubborn? He's still the same Jamie at heart, just... he doesn't trust easily anymore." She knew it was partially her fault, and even though he didn't want her to feel bad about it, she always would.

<Jessica> "I don't trust easily either.... but I don't stop trusting people I used to trust in the past unless they did something bad to me. I don't know what I did wrong..."

<Jean> "I knooow, and I fucked him over, like, literally. I broke his heart, but he forgave me..." She looked down at her little ring and sniffled. "So, I don't know."

<Jessica> "I've done what I can to repair my relationship with him... its up to him now," she shrugged a shoulder, "I'm not going to let it affect our relationship, but it's exhausting being on the defensive all the time. I went through that with Hope and I refuse to do it again."

<Jean> "I think he gave up on trying to get me to find another therapist, so small victories, yay?" She shrugged, but more dramatically, and decided waiting for water to boil sucked, so she went to get more coffee.

<Jessica> "Has he considered getting a therapist for himself?"

<Jean> She laughed, then turned back around to give Jess a pained look. "...I think technically he is a therapist."

<Jessica> "You can't give yourself therapy! It's one of the first things they teach you in therapist school."

<Jean> "Dupe?" She shrugged. "He's got some really random skills and certifications and... languages and things." Jean gestured at her own head. "His head's a busy place."

<Jessica> "The dupes are still him. He'd still be treating himself... which is a dangerous echo chamber of craziness. The point is to get an objective opinion."

<Jean> "You try telling him that," she snorted, pouring herself some lukewarm coffee. "Maybe I should tell a dupe and then run."

<Jessica> She laughed, "If he's qualified as a therapist he already knows. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to remind him."

<Jean> Jean went for the fridge to repeat her milk and chocolate sauce treatment for the coffee. "It might hurt me," she laughed. "He'll either get defensive or give me the big sad eyes." She sampled some sauce from the bottle. "Or both!"

<Jessica> "So tell him from afar over the link where you can't see him."

<Jean> "That only works until I have to go home." She mixed up her latest concoction and prodded the link to see if he was paying attention.

<Jamie> Jamie flailed at the mental poke and nearly dropped the knife on his hand. Baaaaabe. I'm cooking! ...I was cooking.

<Jessica> "Yeah but in the mean time he's thinking about it while not looking at you. All you have to do is float the idea and let his brain do the rest of the work."

<Jean> Sorry! "Okay, but I might have poked too hard just now and almost made him maim himself, sooo..."

<Jessica> She laughed, "I didn't mean do it right now... but I guess I should have been more specific...."

<Jean> "I was just seeing what he was up to... testing the waters. But I think I made the pot boil over, unlike this pot, which I'm ngl thinking about setting on fire."

<Jessica> "Why didn't you just use water from the kettle?" Jess decided to point this out now.

<Jean> She frowned at the kettle, the pot, then Jess. "Well, shit." You're okay, right? She'd glimpsed the knife, and gave him a mental caress. Focusing, she stole the energy from the stove's slow-ass burner and made the water boil. "Or, like... that."

<Jamie> Yeah, I'm okay. Just startled me. I thought you wanted privacy, so I was cutting up some chicken to cook for me and the babies.

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Good thing you can cheat, huh? I wish I could do that instead of waiting for the kettle sometimes."

<Jean> "It's super handy, but of course I gotta watch the fire around Jamie." She smiled to herself at his response. I'm cooking too! Sort of. I'm watching Jess cook while we talk. About you.

<Jessica> "I suppose if you worked at it you could probably heat the water without the fire anyway..." Jess tossed some greens in the water to get mixed with the mac and cheese.

<Jamie> Jamie grinned at that thought. There's the June Cleaver wannabe I know and love.

<Jean> "Yep, I can, it just takes more effort." She dumped the macaroni in and gave it a stir with her teke, then floated her coffee to her hand and took a sip. "That's part of what was so scary about Arcade. It was like... no effort. He just created this world, and everything in it, and fucked with our bodies..." She shivered a bit, then calmed at Jamie's voice. Working on it!

<Jessica> "Maybe he was doing it a long time... practise makes perfect and everything...."

<Jamie> Babe, I love you how you are. No June Cleaver necessary. He made a face at nothing. And slightly terrifying, actually.

<Jean> "Well, we proved he wasn't immortal..." She made a face, too, but had a very good reason. Don't worry, it's just mac and cheese. He was being all sweet. Dammit, it was harder to tell him he needed a therapist now!

<Jamie> Ooo. We want some!

<Jessica> "Thank God," Jess added, "But I mean it's like any power... the more you use it, the better you get at it... the more refined the ability... except, apparently, Beth's teke."

<Jean> She giggled. "Except Beth's teke," she agreed. Jean was having no problems keeping the water boiling, the pasta spinning, and her own butt in the air while talking to Jamie, so control was a good thing. I dunno, we're feeding a ravenous small child... who I traumatized earlier, sooo, cheese bribes!

<Jessica> "Maybe you should try training her - it could be fun. Stream it on the internet and get some X-men fanboys."

<Jamie> Oh. That's fair. She gets all the cheese. A grin slid onto his face. I can make my own cheese sauce to have ready when you come home.

<Jean> "We could put it on OnlyFans!" Jean could see that grin and she loved it. Pretty sure I should be grossed out by you calling it cheese sauce, but yet I'm still not turned off...

<Jamie> Ew! Babe! No... Literal cheese sauce! I would just lick it off of you instead of eating it with macaroni...

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Get Beth a boyfriend... or a girlfriend... or a harem. Whatever she's into. Girl needs a hobby." Jess took down a salad bowl to put her chopped salad items into.

<Jean> "That's what Jamie said!" She giggled, flailing a hand. "OMG you should have seen her faaaace. He asked if I turned her on, or if it was him, or both of us!" OH. Well, I went pervier than you. Wow. That sounds like a plaaaan, so long as I can play toooo.

<Jamie> Yeah, no way am I gonna lick that off of you. Jamie nearly gagged. The real cheese, though, yes. You can play too.

<Jean> Hey now! I've licked it! And you made it! So no gagging!

<Jessica> That made her laugh harder, "I can imagine. Especially with that question coming from him," she shook her head in amusement, "Okay. I'm going to text Carol to bring Miriam down so... we should shift the conversation to more kid friendly topics..."

<Jamie> Jamie's mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water and he was sure his head-self was doing something similar for Jean. Nothing. No comeback. C'mon, Madrox! Be smart! Do you wanna taste what you make?! HA!

<Jean> "I'm the kid friendliest!" She gave Jess a grin. I'm delicious and you know it. Jean bit down on her lower lip and reminded him of the last time they'd sampled each other. Take that.

<Jessica> "Uh-huh," Jess said, as she hit send. No sarcasm. At all. Cough.

<Jamie> Jamie felt his blood heat up and start to move south and he slammed the knife down onto the counter, taking care of that problem by duping. Take that.

<Jean> Jean jumped just a little, but it was enough to make her forget to stir her pasta, which promptly boiled over. "Shit!"

<Jessica> "Jeanie said a bad word!" Miriam announced from the doorway.

<Jean> "When you're older, I'll teach you all the bad words and you can make your mom's head explode!" She gave them both a twitchy grin as she drained the pasta and tried to clean up her mess.

<Jessica> "Please let's not do that...." Jess' nose wrinkled. She set the knife down and crouched to pick Miriam up.

<Carol> Why did all the small children she knew have to run everywhere at high speed? Carol finally caught up to Miriam and gave the others a wave. "You get your picture?"

<Jamie> Jamie did a little dance to the victory tune in his head as he reabsorbed his dupe. Love youuuuuuuu.

<Jean> "I did! I'm beautiful! Thank you Miriam!" Her smile was less forced this time as she was getting herself and the cheese sauce together. Mmmhmm. I'll remember that.

<Jamie> Uh oh. Not good. Jamie grabbed Breathless and projected her cute self to Jean. Don't poke the icy bear, but also? Don't. Poke. The fire. Bear.

<Jessica> Miriam smiled at Jean, "I'm not scared!" she proclaimed.

<Jean> "I'm glad!" She used her teke to stir the mac and cheese, letting Miriam see the magic at work. "Still, I'm sorry I startled you. Do you forgive me?" Jean giggled at the sudden dog on the brain. He knew he was in for it.

<Jessica> "Yeah!" Miriam told her, then launched herself forward for a cuddle attack.

<Jean> "Yay!" She caught the flying child and kept her away from the hot pan, letting her brain partner see her cuddly small creature.

<Carol> Carol decided to help herself to some coffee. Was there green in the cheese? If that wasn't green pasta there were going to be words.

<Jamie> It's a cute! Jamie waved Breathless in the air as if the child could see the dog.

<Jessica> Jess pretended she hadn't seen the look Carol was giving her.

<Jean> Jean grinned. She is! "Let's eat some cheesy carbs!" And I'll find something to eat at home later...

<Jamie> Jamie was half-terrified, half-turned on. Cheese?
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 10/1 Issue: Cheesy Apologies

Post by Esynthia »

Cheese?