Summer 2016: Cecilia and Fabian

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Summer 2016: Cecilia and Fabian

Post by PanicSwitch »

There are No Exits at 30,000 Feet...

<Cecilia> Cecilia's eyes moved unsettlingly beneath her eyelids, her hands and lips twitching as the seat-beat sign came on. The fight might've been over with Kraven, Rott and Quent. But that didn't mean the last four months had left Cecilia, or ever would.

<Fabian> Fabian was eyeing the plane with a terrible suspicion but for different reasons.  "So...Florida to Puerto Rico...they sure have small planes for this."  Small rickety planes that he could possibly reach both sides if he were to stand up and put his arms out.

<Cecilia> Cecilia's body jerked suddenly and she woke with a startled gasp - hands flying to her chest - when
Fabian spoke to her. "No lo hagas!" She nearly shouted, startling the people sitting across from them. She panted, one hand over her heart, confused as to where she was for a moment. "Lo siento," she said quietly to them a minute later.

<Cecilia> "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She said it twice, one for them in case they didn't speak English and one for Fabian.

<Fabian> "Are you okay?"  Fabian asked, frowning and worming around to slide an arm around her.  He ducked his head apologizing to the others on the plane and hoped that they hadn't given the uncomfortably close pilot a heart attack in his cockpit.

<Cecilia> <"I'm fine,"> she said in Catalan, wiping the sweat off her forehead. She frowned as she saw the water below them. "God, where the fuck are we - the Bermuda Triangle?"

<Fabian> "Crec que estem una mica fora de curs per això." Fabian chuckled quietly, rubbing her back.  "I think we're just about there though so that's good news, yes?"

<Fabian> ((Catalan: I think we're a bit off course for that.))

<Cecilia> "Yeah, yeah." Cecilia nodded distractedly. "It'll be great. Change of scenery and all that." She smiled, threading her cold fingers in his. "Thank you for this, Fab. I really needed it."

<Fabian> "Definitely, I'm looking forward to just floating about in the ocean for a while, bonelessly bobbing and all that."  The exhaustion of the past year wasn't lost on him, after all.  He smiled, squeezing her hand.  "I can't wait to see everything you care to show me."

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed. "I...I remember so many things about the island, but they're small things, just oddities and quirks to the place. I was only three when I left...now I wonder if it'll be anything like I remember," she admitted.

<Cecilia> "...you don't actually want to see La Perla?" She asked dubiously.

<Fabian> "Why wouldn't I?"  Fabian asked, frowning at the question. "Just because I'm spoiled as hell now doesn't mean I don't go see places that aren't and this one is important to you."

<Fabian> He shrugged.  "I figured I'd be seeing as much of everything as I could but we can avoid it if you like."

<Cecilia> "No, no...I wanna go," she admitted. "I missed it...strangely enough. It's more than home, it's where I was born. I wanna see it again and I'll show you it, we just gotta be careful, it's dangerous there."

<Cecilia> <"Though guns and knives have no real effect on me,"> she said, switching to Catalan again.

<Fabian> "Sí, mantindrà fora de perill. Et prometo que aniré amb compte de totes maneres."  Fabian put his free hand over his heart, smirking just a little bit.  "I can't wait to see it, and I don't think it's strange at all, either."

<Fabian> ((Catalan: Yes, you'll keep me safe.  I'll promise I'll be careful anyway.))

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled at him but this quickly faded as the plane rattled. "I can't make any promises here though!" She laughed. "If we die I just want you to know you're the best friend I ever had!"

<Cecilia> "...that and I always hated your taste in clothing," she teased.

<Fabian> "I love you too and I love my awesome shirts and plaid pants and red shoes...and also we'll be fine, we cheat."  They may be banged up but shields had to come in handy during a crash and they could float in one until rescue was in sight.

<Fabian> "We'll not die anytime soon, and neither will my clothes."

<Cecilia> "No, we won't!" Cecilia laughed. "With you here to give me some extra juice I doubt much could harm us and what -" she turned to Fabian, surprise etched on her face. "You've never said that to me before..."

<Fabian> "Said what?"  Fabian asked, not even aware that he hadn't done so before.

<Cecilia> "You've never said 'I love you' to me," Cecilia said, vaguely wondering if she should be calling attention to this. She swore as they hit a particularly rough bump. "Never unprompted or before I said it first, never sober and never with the word 'I' in front of the last two words."

<Fabian> "You're...really surprisingly particular about keeping track of how I say it."  Fabian grinned wider at that.  "I take it to mean that it meets with approval?"  He certainly hoped it did anyway or else this vacation was going to be an exercise in polite awkwardness and that didn't sound like a good time at all.

<Cecilia> Cecilia just grabbed the front of his shirt and kissed him fiercely (and probably slightly inappropriately for the small quarters they were in). "I've wanted to hear it for ages," she admitted, once she'd pulled away.

<Fabian> "...I really wish I had said that on a bigger plane but I think my suggestions would have been inappropriate."

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed and squeezed his hand. "We'll have to wait, but that's not so bad is it? Something to look forward to." She startled a little as the plane shook a bit again. "And live for!"

<Fabian> "And more to look forward to, I think we're just about to land and I am looking forward to getting out of this rinky assed thing.  Did I tell you what the flight attendant said to me while we boarded?"

<Cecilia> "'Have a nice trip'?" Cecilia guessed. "'You're all gonna die'? 'The pilot's a drunk'?" She laughed. "No, what?"

<Fabian> "Spread out, this plane has weight and balance issues -  I don't trust American flights now."

<Cecilia> "Oh fuck me," Cecilia said, laughing slightly hysterically. "Is that why you were crossing yourself on take-off? I thought that was a bit odd. Well, thank you for not telling me before we got off the ground. Otherwise there might've been headlines about some crazy black woman freaking out and opening the emergency doors at Miami airport!"

<Fabian> That was an interesting image and Fabian could really imagine Cecilia doing just that.  "Well, we made it in any case."  The plane was now banking and making its descent and Fabian happily peered out the window.  "So, what's the first thing you want to do?"

<Cecilia> "You mean besides getting down on my knees and kissing the asphalt?" Cecilia said wryly. "Getting settled in the hotel, maybe grabbing a few drinks and checking out the pool. Getting up at dawn was a bit of a strain...well, actually it'd be more accurate to say I just never slept," she admitted.

<Fabian> "That sounds like a good, good plan.  I could use a drink and something soothing, exploring can wait until tomorrow, just have a nice day in."  Fabian admitted, stretching and waiting impatiently for the plane to sit down.  Freedom was going to taste really quite sweet after this flight.

<Cecilia> "I figured you'd be up for that," she said. "It'll be late afternoon once we get settled, after a couple drinks and a swim I'd say we'll both feel much more refreshed."

<Cecilia> She gripped the arm-rests as the plane landed jarringly. "And less jagged," she said tightly.

<Fabian> "...I feel like I've been violated by my very own tailbone."  Fabian complained in a slightly strained voice.  Soon enough they were coasting up to the gate and everyone started to stand up even though they had no place to go.  "This is another thing I don't understand about flying this way.  Where do the people think we're going to go until the gate is set up?"

<Cecilia> "I never thought I'd say this, but thank God my ass is huge. At least when I'm dropped on it I have some cushioning. She regarded the crowd. "I don't either but it's annoying as hell. People don't let you outta your seat. It'd make more sense to wait in line and proceed in an orderly fashion," she said pointedly at a fat couple with Hawaiian shirts who she knew had been in the back by the washrooms.

<Fabian> "There is no order to be had, this is plane-apocalypse, freedom can only be had by clawing over the moving mountain of people under you...yeah, I'm not meant to fly the cheap flights, I get morbid."

<Cecilia> "Fuck that. I'm imposing order," Cecilia said as they came to the gate, shoving her foot out into the aisle and butting into the line. "I'm not being pushed around and waiting till the whole plane clears just to get outta my seat. We're sitting at the front, we get out first."

<Cecilia> She began opening the overhead and removing their bags, taking her sweet time as she did so.

<Fabian> Ah, it was fun to be bitches sometimes.  Fabian stood up leisurely and swung his bag over his shoulder and gripped hers.  "Do you wonder what goes on in people's minds when we're around to ruin their day?"

<Cecilia> "Thank you, mi heroe, and I can imagine," she smirked, making her way to the gate. "No doubt I'm a cruel and heartless button-pusher who exists only to make other's lives miserable."

<Cecilia> "The question is do I care what other people think of me?"

<Fabian> "Oh, it wouldn't change anything, I just like imagining the thoughts, they're quite funny in my mind."  Fabian chuckled, falling into place behind her.  "I get a strange sense of accomplishment."

<Cecilia> "Why - what do you think they think?" Cecilia laughed, wrapping an arm around him once they were in the airport and headed towards immigration.

<Fabian> "I always figure for me people go with the usual snobby bastard.  I don't think most people are creative."  And now they were moving, thank God!

<Cecilia> <"You know the best part about that though?"> Cecilia asked in Catalan once again. <"They underestimate us both. We're much more than that and they'll never even know.">

<Cecilia> <"I like to think that one day all the people who told me I'd amount to nothing will see me and they'll know they were wrong,"> she admitted. <"It's childish, but whenever I was angry or hurt when I was young, I used to say that. 'I'll show them.' Stupid, yeah?">

<Fabian> "T'adones que pràcticament viuen fora de rancor, no?"  Fabian grinned even wider as he admitted this tendency of his.  "M'agrada pensar que és més divertit del infantil. Has d'aconseguir que la vostra alegria on es pot."

<Fabian> ((Catalan: You realize I practically live off of spite, no?  I like to think that it is more fun than childish.  You have to get your joy where you can.))

<Cecilia> <"I do and it's one of the things I like about you,"> Cecilia admitted. <"I'm not above being petty and I appreciate it when I'm not made to feel like an asshole about it all the time. It's not in my nature to be selfless all the time or to turn the other cheek. It's nice to have someone who is the same.">

<Fabian> Fabian just chuckled, stealing a kiss once they were through the gate.  "Too true, lets go get our luggage, load it up, and soon we can sleep off the semester, yes?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia grinned, squeezing his side a little. "I could use the rest. It's been a long hard road through hell. I can't claim I came outta that completely intact," she admitted. "If I … if I do anything strange or I seem moody at times, I apologize. I try not to take it out on others but sometimes," she sighed, "shit just seeps through."

<Fabian> "Cee, I've known you for a while now, I think I know, don't worry.  This is a vacation, it's not for worry."  He lead her on towards the luggage, ready to get into a pool where he could just sit.

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled, "Thanks, Fab. Just...know that if you ever need some time away then...well, I would understand. You can be honest with me, I won't be hurt." She took her bag. "I like to think I'm reasonable anyway."

<Fabian> Fabian just shook his head.  "You don't need to start that mindset now.  You know you're fine, we're fine."

<Cecilia> "Of course we are," Cecilia said. Until we're not . She hoped and prayed she didn't have a flashback in front of him...but she couldn't worry about that. If it was gonna happen, it was gonna happen. They'd just have to deal with it when - and if - it did happen. "Things should be fine anyways."
Last edited by PanicSwitch on Sat May 04, 2013 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Magneto: "That was really Xorn's twin brother possessed by the sentient mould, Sublime, pretending to be me, pretending to be Xorn."
Beast: "That defies all logic."
Magneto: "Ohhh like none of you have ever died before!"
-Death Becomes Them, Floating Hands Studios

The Thing: "Didn't they come up with a cure for your kind?"
Wolverine: "You gotta problem with mutants?"
The Thing: "I meant Canadians."
-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Re: Summer 2016: Cecilia and Fabian

Post by PanicSwitch »

Get to the Chopper!

<Cecilia> "You hear that?" Cecilia said, raising her head off the foot of the bed where she currently lay sprawled out, freshly showered and watching Fabian wander about. "I remember that. Those are tiny tree frogs making that sound."

<Cecilia> She rolled onto her back and listening to the haunting chirps. Coquí, coquí. "They're called coquí. They sing all night from dusk to dawn."

<Fabian> Fabian came to a stop at the entry way to their balcony, giving the outside an eye for tree-frogs but it was pretty much all ocean in the view and just slightly too dark to make any of them out if they were nearby.  "I think I can get used to them, nice croaky background noise and all that."

<Fabian> He turned from the doorway, making his way back towards her and bonelessly flopping into bed.  "I will admit, it'll be a bit disappointing when your family is down and I've got to have this room by myself."

<Cecilia> "My family used to call me that when I was young. What the frogs are called, I mean. It was sort of a childhood nickname," she mused, turning her head to face him as he flopped onto the bed. "I've toyed with the idea of just staying here and seeing if they say anything."

<Fabian> Fabian rolled over to face her, not looking overly sure about the idea.  "You think your mother wouldn't notice and just sort of keep it to herself and give me the disapproving looks?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia sighed. "She'd notice - they all would, but I doubt they'd be so bold as to say anything - at least not to you directly while on vacation. My family's... less confrontational then yours in some ways, but in some ways they're more candid. It's probably better for you if we don't...it's a bit silly but it may be best."

<Fabian> Fabian gave a nod, pulling himself up to slide beside her properly at the foot of the bed.  "I think so as well...I do want your family to keep liking me for as long as I can, after all."

<Cecilia> She laid her head down on her arms. "I get that and they do like you, y'know. I know you sorta doubt it with my mother sometimes, but she doesn't hate you, trust me. She's just..." she made a helpless motion with her hands. "..."

<Fabian> "What?  Knows I'm after your delicate virtue?"  Fabian smirked a little bit.  "I hope it's that anyway, that would be normal parental distrust I imagine."

<Cecilia> "After it?" Cecilia said, raising an eyebrow. "More like you took it - not that she knows." She shuffled a little closer and put her head on his shoulder. "She's...it really has very little to do with you. I think she's upset that I'm not six years old anymore or something. I'm her only living daughter and I was her last child. Losing me means that chapter of her life is over and she's just going through some sort of early mid-life crisis at forty-two."

<Fabian> "Well, I suppose that's a relief anyway...I just want to make sure I'm still at a decent start when they eventually find out things they won't like about me."  It was something Fabian was quite willing to put off forever but he didn't have any illusions her family would never find out a few unsavoury things in particular.

<Cecilia> "There's nothing to dislike," Cecilia said firmly. "You're a good person. Two questionable years of your life in the grand scheme of things amounts to very little. You've atoned for that, you don't owe anyone anything anymore." She kissed him on the temple. "What matters is who you are now."

<Fabian> "I'm well aware of that, I still want your family to like me, though."  Fabian sighed, flopping an arm around her.  "So, what would you like to do now?"

<Cecilia> "Mm, maybe watch something?" Cecilia said, smiling at the arm around her, gesturing to the TV. "Bet they got some shit pay-per-view thing that we can count the bullets in."

<Fabian> "Are you willing to put up with that from me your first day of vacation?"  Fabian teased but reached for the remote nevertheless.  "Lets see what business they have to offer.  We may even get something good."

<Cecilia> "Who did you think I thought I was going on vacation with?" Cecilia chuckled back, crawling towards the head of the bed and propping up the pillows. "You like to do it to rile me up."

<Fabian> "I'm glad you accept the fact my ire is raised so easily and I must share it with the world."  He laughed, flipping through the movies before settling on one and looking to her for approval.  "Sure?"

<Cecilia> She patted the space beside her and grinned. "Get the hell up here before I change my mind."

<Fabian> Fabian rolled on over to the spot, selecting the movie and settling in for mindless entertainment.  "Now if we really wanted to wake up feeling horrible we'd raid the minibar and take a drink each time they mess up."

<Cecilia> "I like to wake up with no regrets," Cecilia teased, grabbing some pretzels and soda and other snacks from said minibar. "We're exploring tomorrow. I don't really wanna be hungover for that," she said, scattering her finds across the bed and laying her head on Fabian's thigh.

<Cecilia> She tore open one of the pretzel bags and began nibbling on one.

<Fabian> "We can be hungover the day before your family arrives then.  Definitely don't want to be hungover the day they actually come." No, that wouldn't make the best impression although maybe they wouldn't realize it either.  He stole a pretzel and lazily stroked her hair.

<Fabian> "We're definitely exploring, though, don't be surprised if I go on a quest to see every nook and cranny of this place."

<Cecilia> "Kinky," she laughed, licking her fingers. "Hey, I don't mind. I haven't been back since I left. This is mostly new to me too." She patted his leg warmly. "You say that like I haven't been on vacation with you before."

<Fabian> "Well yeah, but that was a vacation to my home where I was playing tour guide pulling you this way or that.  This time I won't have any idea where I'm going or if I'm even allowed in wherever I'm going.  We run a risk of accidentally trespassing and being run off...which I guess isn't that different from when we have free-time at school, actually..."

<Cecilia> Cecilia chuckled. "Fab, if you think the threat of being arrested is gonna stop me from hanging out with you, you don't know me that well." She looked up at him and smiled. "I don't know where I'm going anymore than you do really. We'll just get lost together, yeah?"

<Fabian> "At least here we both speak the language.  You really should have seen the horror that was the Cortez family South Asian vacation, wonderful places, horrible tourists and Anne-Marie and I were almost actively trying to get the other in trouble.  You and I will have a great time getting lost together."

<Cecilia> "This the one where you ditched her?" Cecilia asked, smirking at a little at the crazy amount of gunfire and no reloading that was going on. "What'd she ever do to you to deserve that?"

<Fabian> "...chased me through the marketplace with water beetles until I actually cried?  She got what she deserved!"  Fabian was going to stand by this until the day he died.

<Cecilia> "Jesus Christ!" Cecilia exclaimed, sitting up a little. "What for?" She scowled. "I'm sorry, Fab, but your sister sounds like a real bitch. Miguel's teased me and he's hurt me by accident but he was never deliberately cruel...when was this?"

<Fabian> Fabian just laughed.  "While we were in Laos, same vacation."

<Cecilia> "No, I meant how old were you? I know it's the same vacation."

<Fabian> "...sixteen."

<Cecilia> "Oh Fabi..." she said, grabbing him and giving him a hug before she thought better of it. That was no doubt embarrassing, his father had probably been a real shit about it too, knowing him. His own son's unhappiness never failed to amuse him, it seemed.

<Fabian> Fabian gave another laugh, returning the hug.  "Like I said, I had my sweet, sweet revenge.  It's really a wonder Jacinta didn't kill both of us on that trip."

<Cecilia> Hm, this was nice. "Why did you fight so much?" She asked, positioning herself so that she was sitting between both his legs, taking both his arms and wrapping them around herself while she lay her head on his shoulder, slumping a little so he could see over her hair. "Me and Miguel fought more when we were younger. We were really tight once we were teenagers but even before we were still close."

<Fabian> "We got along when we were younger and only really started fighting a lot when we were around thirteen.  It just got to be how it was but we could still get along once in a while, just depended on what mood we were in that day I suppose."

<Cecilia> "What did puberty make you both crazy?" Cecilia teased, eyes on the screen but listening intently.

<Fabian> "...yeah, pretty much.  I mean, I don't think I went particularly crazy but I suppose we just grew into differing opinions on things."

<Cecilia> "You strike me as bookish with a wild streak," Cecilia said. "I don't think you'd have done well in a traditional high school, no-one would've known which clique to invite you into. Your sister, from what I've seen from her stuff and what you told me about her sounds like a sports person. Can't say why though it might've been her golf set.  So what opinions were those?"

<Fabian> Fabian gave her an incredulous look.  "Cee, please, I would make the cliques!"  He grinned wide and teasingly.  "I don't know, she just started to get all buddy-buddy with father and friction just started from there."

<Cecilia> Cecilia made a face. "Why? Didn't he hate you both equally?"

<Fabian> "His approval is up for grabs if you readily agree with him and I never went for it and she did."

<Cecilia> "Yeah and I bet getting any approval means completely assimilating yourself and being an extension of him. I just don't know why anyone would ever want that." She sighed, feeling Fabian's heartbeat on the back of her skull where her head was resting. "My father was so different."

<Fabian> "You don't usually tell me what he was like."  Fabian observed, looking down at her just a bit curiously, stroking her hair again.

<Cecilia> Cecilia shrugged. "You never asked," she pointed out. "I could tell you if you like."

<Fabian> "I'd like to hear anything you'd like to tell me."  He assured her, settling back down with her again.

<Cecilia> Cecilia hummed a little, thinking. "He was smart, knowledgeable about a lot of things, though he only had a GED. He liked to read -  used to take me to the library every Saturday when I was young - he insisted on that. He was an all or nothing guy. Either he really loved something or he couldn't care less about it - there was very little in-between."

<Cecilia> "He was a good writer," Cecilia noted. "But not in English, just Spanish, his English was...not bad, but not great either, he spoke with a distinct accent. He used to write small stories about things he'd seen or stuff that happened that he wanted to remember."

<Cecilia> Cecilia frowned. "He was tired a lot of the time, he used to do shift work as a custodian...and sometimes he seemed sad. I think he felt a lot of guilt that me and Miguel didn't have a lot of things growing up...he got really depressed at Christmas, every year. And he hated to lose things," she shrugged.

<Fabian> "He sounds great."  Fabian decided once Cecilia was done.  He rubbed her back in soft circles, smiling at the way she described the man.  "I would have been glad to meet him, sounds like you take after him in a lot of ways, too."

<Cecilia> "I think he would've been a bit distrustful of you at first," Cecilia admitted, chuckling. "Mostly 'cause you're some strange white guy that has a lot of money that's dating his daughter...he'd have been very clear that you weren't to distract me from my work...but I think he'd have liked you with time."

<Fabian> "Like I said, sounds like you take after him in a lot of ways."  Fabian gave another teasing smirk and gently tugged a coil of hair.

<Cecilia> "Hey now," Cecilia chuckled scratching lightly at his arms. "I only wanted to be clear with you at first. I heard all about you when I first arrived and just wanted to make sure you knew where you stood."

<Fabian> "Exactly, and that's what he would have been doing as well."  Fabian chuckled, deciding to pull the pillows on down to them so they could watch in comfort.

<Cecilia> Cecilia hummed happily. "I could show you the journals sometime...you can read Spanish so I think you'd appreciate them. Even though he could speak and write in English my father refused to translate them. He said the meanings would be lost if he did...it's a shame how they're just in my mother's closet collecting dust. He meant for us to read them."

<Fabian> "Maybe sometime."  Fabian assured her.  "I'm sure your mother will be okay with it one day."  He tucked in around her, glancing briefly to the television.  "And that six shooter is officially magic."

<Cecilia> Cecilia was pretty sure she wouldn't, but she didn't contradict him. "I think we should start making puns whenever we knock someone out...Oh my God! We missed the perfect opportunity to use the 'knuckle sandwich' one when we busted the cannibals!"

<Fabian> "...I am so disappointed we missed it but so happy you thought of it now.  I'm not sure I should really think along those lines but yes, more bad puns are necessary."

<Cecilia> "Jesus, we're never gonna have another opportunity to use it now. I never think of the right thing to say at the time..." Cecilia grumbled. "...at least I hope we don't have another opportunity." She laughed. "Fuck, you don't think that could happen again? I mean, what're the chances?"

<Fabian> "I never question the crazy assed things other people can do."  Fabian frowned but shrugged.  "I'd highly doubt it, though.  That's just...pretty special."

<Cecilia> "I'm so glad you're here..." Cecilia admitted "...and that this bed is much bigger. I don't wanna backhand you or something while I flail."

<Fabian> "I had no idea you were so kinky."  The opening was there and he had to take it.  There was simply no other way.

<Cecilia> Cecilia raised an eyebrow as she craned her neck. "I meant when I wake up screaming - oh Christ..." she face-palmed "...I can't win here can I?"

<Fabian> "You can win if I make you scream and flail."  Fabian pointed out helpfully.

<Cecilia> Cecilia reddened a little. "I'll consider it a victory when I do that to you," she countered.

<Fabian> "Then by all means!"

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled slowly, reaching for the remote and pausing the film. "I can try," she said, crawling to the head of the bed again and starting to remove her shirt. "C'mere..."
Last edited by PanicSwitch on Sat May 04, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magneto: "That was really Xorn's twin brother possessed by the sentient mould, Sublime, pretending to be me, pretending to be Xorn."

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

It's Not Easy Being Green

<Cecilia> Cecilia sighed and lifted her face to the setting sun as they walked on San Juan's shoreline. "Know what I like best about restaurants with a patio on the beach?"

<Fabian> "What's that?"  Fabian asked, walking along beside her and looking out on the ocean.  "Shade?"  Luckily he had bonded well with his sun screen so far.

<Cecilia> "That I can wear no shoes or shirt and still get service," Cecilia laughed, indicating her bikini top, shorts and currently shoeless feet. "You gotta admit it's pretty nice. A summer of this and I may never want to go back to the states...why did I leave this place again?" she teased.

<Fabian> "I'll admit, that's one of my favourite things as well." Fabian had to admit, indeed, that it was pretty damned nice.  "Well, as lovely as this is I have to say our current place can be pretty great as well.  It's never fun to just stay in the same place, though, is it?"

<Cecilia> "I never really had much choice before," she admitted. "But now that I've gotten a taste of the world I can't say I'm willing to go back to where I was before, being poor wasn't - isn't - fun." She thought about it. "It matters less to me where I am than who I'm with. I like XU, but it wouldn't be the same without my friends."

<Fabian> "Good company always makes a place better, yes, but I have to admit I rather like seeing different places, this is a great trip so far."  He offered her a smile.  "So, how shall we kill this lovely day?"

<Cecilia> "Of course it has! You did get to see me half-naked for most of the day didn't you?" she teased, wrapping an arm around his waist as they walked. "Hm...I suppose we could wander a little down the beach, there's supposed to be a cove around that bend there," she said, pointing to a cliff face with foliage on it. "I saw people in kayaks there the other day. That might be worth checking out."

<Fabian> "Wandering is one of my favourite things, not quite as much as seeing you run around half-naked, though.  That's always a treat."  Fabian smugly straightened up, looking ahead of them now.  "Well, that does sound like a good time, we may as well."

<Cecilia> "What do you think this is - 'Bay-Watch'?" she laughed before a sly look came over her face. "You might get your wish. We could race."

<Fabian> "We absolutely must.  You realize I'm letting you win, yes?"  Fabian wanted to be sure Cecilia realized this so he could enjoy himself freely.

<Cecilia> Cecilia just kicked some water from an incoming wave at him in response. "C'mon, give me a challenge, don't just let me win! That's no fun!" she laughed, jogging ahead of him and grinning over her shoulder.

<Fabian> "You just don't want me ogling you as you run!"  Fabian accused, kicking water back and laughing.  "Right then, a challenge you shall have!"  He took off after her.

<Cecilia> "Why should you have all the fun?" Cecilia fired back, taking off. The sand made it much harder to run but she was in good shape from all the X-Men stuff. She laughed as she leapt over a wave. "Haha! Nothing can stop, Reyes! She'll take the gold for USA!"

<Fabian> "What if the Spanish runner cheats horribly and tackles her into the water?"  Fabian called back teasingly, starting to catch up some.

<Cecilia> "AH!" Cecilia exclaimed, desperately trying to run faster, now sprinting in earnest. "Fabian - I'll murder you!"

<Fabian> "But then who would be here to run with you?"  He replied, trying to make grabs for her.

<Cecilia> "Noooo!" She squealed as he grabbed her as she turned to attempt to defend herself from grabby hands. "If I'm doing down, you're going down with me!" She declared, wrapping her legs and arms around his torso and making herself a dead weight in his arms.

<Fabian> "I'm completely okay with this!"  Fabian flopped willingly into the ocean, laughing as he went, taking Cecilia right along with him.

<Cecilia> "Argh!" Cecilia cried, before being submerged into the shallow water. She surfaced a few seconds later, spitting out saltwater and laughing. "I should shove seaweed down your swimsuit for that!"

<Fabian> Fabian sat up, shaking himself off, and simply laughed.  "You know you had fun and don't bait me with things that might get eaten unless it's back at the hotel."

<Cecilia> "I'm just being," she defended herself, crossing her arms and grinning, her afro now wet and hanging slightly around her shoulders. "Not trying to be a tease or anything if that's what you're getting at." She pressed a kiss to his lips and stood up, offering a hand. "Come on, we can get wet again later. I wanna see what these kayaks are about." They were pretty close now.

<Fabian> "No, I was getting at don't tempt things with pinchers near me with any treats.  Literally, don't bait me."  Fabian pulled himself up with the offered hand and turned to head for the kayaks.  "Have you ever done this before?"

<Cecilia> "What kayaked? Not exactly," she admitted. "But my father used to take me and my brother out sometimes. How hard can it be?" She eyed the boats, probably not too hard. They were even the type you could sit on top of instead of inside, so there was no chance of drowning.

<Fabian> Fabian was of the mind they were going to spend a good deal of this trip getting wet but he decided to not say anything and simply let Cecilia be surprised.  "First time for everything, yes?"

<Cecilia> "Most things," Cecilia agreed, smiling and trotting up to the person in charge of these boats. "Why're you kayaking at night?" She grinned as the owner of the boats told them the bay in this area was bioluminescent bay that glowed green at night due to single-celled organisms called dinoflagellates.

<Cecilia> "There are only three bays like this on the island," the owner said, "this is one of them."

<Fabian> "Well, now we can tip the boat over and come out glowing green, now we have to do it."  Fabian nodded, quite sure of this as he glanced over at the boats.  They seemed sturdy enough at least.  "How much?"

<Cecilia> The price was pretty reasonable. "We gotta do it, Fab. How often will we get to glow green?" Cecilia said excitedly.

<Fabian> Fabian gladly paid up and grabbed an oar. "You're right, lets do this things!"

<Cecilia> "...how did the money not get wet?" Who cared, there were kayaks! Cecilia quickly grabbed a two seated kayak and began dragging it towards the water. "This is gonna be great! So glad I suggested this!"

<Fabian> "I think the better question would be where did I keep the wallet."  Fabian laughed though he slid it right back in place.  "And just because it's wet doesn't mean it's not money."  He took to the other side, dragging on until the kayak was clear.

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled as they waded into the water, the sun was nearly gone, in a few minutes the bay would be green. "I'll take front," she said, sitting and taking one of the oars. "I can see better that way."

<Fabian> "And I'll make sure we don't flip over back here."  Fabian laughed, taking his seat and grabbing one of the oars.  "This is pretty great, yes?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia touched the top of her afro, pressing it down a little...maybe there wasn't much difference with Fabian behind her. Her hair was pretty wild, longer than it was when they'd met even. "You can say that again," she said. Soon enough as the sky grew darker the bay began to grow a bright acid green. "Hey look!" She lifted the paddle, now glowing bright green from where it had touched the water.

<Fabian> He had to laugh as she pushed her hair down.  "Don't worry, there's plenty of things to look at that aren't behind your hair, Cee."  He smiled, clacking his glowing oar with hers with a mock fencing attack.  "Absolutely fantastic, this is exactly what we needed."

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed as she fended off an oar. "I know, right? Finally, a nice day with nothing weird or terrible or anything. I'm actually a little nervous when something isn't going wrong," she admitted, a little sad this was what her life had come to in the past few months.

<Cecilia> She smiled the next second though as an idea struck her. Quickly she turned around in her seat, dipped her fingers into the water and drew a line on Fabian's chest, laughing as it left a bright green trail from his navel to his throat.

<Fabian> "We have plenty of normal days, we're just in a mindset where the bad started to outweigh the good for a while there.  Just let yourself enjoy it."  Fabian laughed though as she drew her line on this.  "What is this?  Are you painting me up now?  You know I can play at that game right now, right?"

<Cecilia> "I'm counting on it," she smirked, making palm prints on him with both hands. "Well, the good outweighs the bad here easy. It's been a pretty great day, very relaxing."

<Fabian> "Oh, are you?"  Fabian laughed and reached his hand into the water as well until he had a good bit of green to spread around, leaning up and trying his hand at drawing on her.  "Any requests?"

<Cecilia> "Nothing phallic," Cecilia said, wondering if that was too much to hope for. She lay the oar across her lap as they drifted. "Or any names, basically nothing I wouldn't tattoo on."

<Fabian> Fabian decided to both push the line on phallic and being a smart-ass, crafting a lovely green flower on her stomach.

<Cecilia> "Hehe! That tickles!" Cecilia flailed a little, laughing as she was adorned with a flower. She smirked down at it. "What're you - some kinda hippy?" For that she drew a peace sign on him.

<Fabian> "Oh you know me, I am all about peace!  And you know what I say about flowers so it's two-fold."

<Cecilia> Cecilia smirked. "I also know you're incredibly sarcastic when you wanna be," she said, submerging both her hands in the water. "Look at me! I'm Lukas! I can do magic and I know drinking songs in Finnish!" She joked, wiggling her glowing green hands and waving them about.

<Fabian> "I can summon boobs with my hands with merely a thought and a second!"  Fabian gave Cecilia jazz-hands and cackled.  "I like hats with horns and shiny sparkly sticks because they make me look cool but have no actual practical purpose!"

<Cecilia> "I sexually confuse everyone that I interact with and mentally undress Lehnsherr every day instead of paying attention to the actual lesson!" She laughed, making her hand motions more and more elaborate "Ah, God...who else can we make fun of? Anyone else gotta green power?"

<Cecilia> "Oh! I know!" She said a moment later. "Guess who I am, Fab?" She pointed her hands at him. "Zzzzap! Zzzzap!"

<Fabian> Fabian just laughed, shaking his head.   "There's Professor Drake, I suppose Jolen counts and any other plant-ish people.  Mel's all kinds of green, of course."

<Cecilia> "I think I'd have to jump in the water to imitate any of them," Cecilia laughing, drawing some stripes all the way up her arms. "Maybe at the end - so it's not too long before I can jump in the shower."

<Fabian> "You mean you don't want to be covered in green?"  Fabian asked, very tempted to start splashing at that.

<Cecilia> "You mean you wanna be pushed into the bay?" Cecilia asked, raising an eyebrow and opening her arms in a 'come at me bro' posture.

<Fabian> Fabian just grinned and very carefully stood up, motioning for her to join him.

<Cecilia> Cecilia raised the other eyebrow as well. "You shouldn't stand in a boat," she said, getting up very carefully as the kayak swayed warningly.

<Fabian> "Of course, but that's how you get pushed into the bay now, isn't it?"  He teased, holding his hands out.  "I propose a contest, whoever can get the other in the water faster wins."

<Cecilia> Cecilia grinned widely. "You sure you wanna do that?" Oh this was going to be fun. Here was the perfect opportunity for her to test out an aspect of her powers that she hadn't had the opportunity to do before. "I'm stronger than I look, you might be the one that gets drenched."

<Fabian> "You say this like you expect me to be a complete pushover!" Fabian laughed as he protested, reaching for her hands again.  "Ready?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia clasped his hands. "Ready."

<Fabian> Fabian just smirked as he worked on shifting his weight from side to side.

<Cecilia> Now this was gonna be difficult, Cecilia thought as Fabian began rocking the boat. Although Fabian wasn't particularly tall he was still taller than her and he easily had thirty-five to forty pounds on her. She began to push at his frame but without resorting to low blows (as she would in a fight) she was easily overpowered.

<Fabian> As Cecilia went in Fabian went right ahead and dove in after her, popping up a moment later and shaking water from his hair.  "Worth it?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia smirked at him, putting her arms behind her head as she seemingly lay on top of the waves. "I dunno, you tell me!" She laughed.

<Fabian> "Absolutely, when else are we going to walk back to our hotel covered in green?  And what on earth are you doing there?"  He asked.  "Cheaaating!"

<Cecilia> "As if you wouldn't cheat if you had the opportunity!" Cecilia laughed. She raised a hand and knocked on the shield platform below her. "My powers," she explained, offering a hand for him to climb on top of it. "I've never had the opportunity to test them out while swimming, now seems as good a time as any."

<Fabian> "Yes but the whole point was to get green.  Now you realize I will have to have my vengeance."  His vengeance came as a hug, a sopping wet hug as he climbed on as well.

<Cecilia> Cecilia squealed as she was embraced in a glowing green hug. "You're just mad I got the better of you!" She said, tickling him to make him let go. "I tricked you!"

<Fabian> "Nooo, I'm grouchy because you didn't join me in awesome diving joy.  But you're still green so I'm appeased."

<Cecilia> "Ah, I see. Well, we can't have you grouchy now can we, mi amor?" Cecilia said, leaning over to give him a kiss. "That won't do...so how 'bout we fix that right now?" She smirked as she pulled away, wrapping her arms around him and dropping the shield below them, sending them both sinking into the bay.

<Fabian> Fabian let out a squeak as he found himself in the water again, glad that he had sense to close his mouth before he was under.

<Cecilia> Cecilia surfaced, laughing and shaking her now seaweed green hair as she treaded water. "Hey look, now we're the same colour," she said, showing Fabian. "Well, maybe I'm a little more forest green than acid green but we're both still green!"

<Fabian> "Now the only question is how do we get back into the boat without making complete fools of ourselves?"  Fabian chuckled, reaching out to ruffle up the now greened up hair.

<Cecilia> "I could always make another platform," Cecilia offered. "Or a ramp, whichever you like." She smiled. "I don't think you could ever make a fool of yourself in my eyes," she said truthfully.

<Fabian> "This clearly proves that I have been far, far too sober around you."  Fabian was all ready attempting to board the boat, laughing and scheming all sorts of things, now.  "Of course, this will stay the same while your family is here when they arrive."

<Cecilia> Cecilia made a small ramp and began crawling up it and back into the kayak. "You've been drunk and high around me tons of times - you can try all you like but it doesn't matter what you do. I wouldn't think less of you."

<Fabian> "Oh no, you shouldn't think less of me, but a fool?  Sure, once in a while...it's only for special people."

<Cecilia> "I'll try...but it's hard to when I'm struggling to get back in the boat and look like Rob Zombie too," she chuckled, picking up her paddle again. "You good?"

<Fabian> "As always!"  Fabian assured her, picking up his own oar.  "...though lets never compare you to Rob Zombie again."

<Cecilia> "I actually like 'Dragula'...but yeah, I get what you mean. He's creepy and his movies are creepy too," she said, paddling along and shivering slightly. "It's a bit cold when the sun goes down and you're all wet!"

<Fabian> "I'm okay with him being creepy and all that, noooot really okay with imagining you as Rob Zombie."  If his mind went on that train for much longer he was going to be permanently scarred.  "Should we go try to warm up?"

<Cecilia> "Yeah, I need a shower," Cecilia said as they approached shore. She clasped one of her currently green curls, "I don't even wanna think about what this shit would do to white sheets..."

<Fabian> "I like to think of it as art but yeah, we probably shouldn't find out.  We'll get looks enough going back in the hotel, I imagine."

<Cecilia> "How do green smears that look vaguely like shit remind you of art?" Cecilia snorted. "Never-mind, I've been to the Met, I know why." She thought a moment. "Well, I would say I'd make a ramp up to our room but I don't think I know which one it is from the outside. That and I'm scared we'll scare the shit outta some poor tourist who thinks we're floating zombies."

<Fabian> "Yeah, it's best probably not to do that too often...and we still need to make a slide down to the pool."

<Cecilia> "I'd like that," she said, stepping into the shallow water and dragging the kayak back to its proper spot. "We'll have to wait till it's late to do that though...you know how it is. You think nobody's watching so you use your powers and then the next thing you know people are writing threatening messages on your door and giving you dirty looks at the breakfast buffet..."

<Cecilia> "...Wait, never-mind," she said, remembering you couldn't actually see Fabian's powers.

<Fabian> "It's one of the benefits of having telepaths around, but nobody is here to make people forget they've seen anything."  Fabian pouted mostly jokingly, rolling on out once they were near shore to drag along with her.  "Though if anything like that happens we'll simply switch accommodations and I'll have fun making someone feel a bit like a toe-rag...I suppose I shouldn't."

<Cecilia> "Are you kidding? If someone gives us shit for that or anything else even remotely prejudiced in nature I don't actively encourage you make a scene - I insist." Cecilia said, dusting off her hands and making her way down the beach back towards the hotel. "If you didn't, I would. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I am not being pushed around, period."

<Fabian> "We should partner up.  We'd make one hell of a scene-making team, you know?  We just make one hell of a team in general but especially for that."

<Cecilia> "We make a good team in general," Cecilia said. "Hell, your powers even compliment mine!"

<Fabian> "Now that's cheating, my powers sort of compliment everyone's.  That's basically all they do until I decide to go further."

<Cecilia> "Not what I meant," Cecilia said, gesturing as she explained. "I mean your powers effect mine a little more-so than most I'd expect 'cause my powers rely entirely on my energy levels. The more energy I have the stronger my shields are. You see?"

<Fabian> Fabian nodded, admitting that.  "I suppose."  Now that the boat was safely beached he offered his arm to her.  "Shall we then?"

<Cecilia> "We shall," Cecilia said, taking his arm. "Greenly!"
Last edited by PanicSwitch on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

The Last Crusade

<Fabian> "You know what I love?  A place that is actually called Ponce.  How much poncier can you get than a place that is actually called Ponce?"  Fabian teased as he slowed down their rental car, looking over the place in question.

<Cecilia> "Well, technically we're a bit north of Ponce," Cecilia remarked, pointing to the sign that read 'Tibes Indigenous Ceremonial Center.' "Close enough though."

<Cecilia> She got out as soon as they were parked and grabbed her backpack out of the backseat that contained everything she'd need throughout the day exploring ancient Taino ruins as well as something extra for Fabian's birthday. "This should be interesting," she said. "I'm actually part Taino somewhere back there, so I guess this is sort of a homecoming, yeah?"

<Fabian> "When we're done here can we go make a photo album of 'A Ponce in Ponce'?  I imagine people'll find it fitting.  And you're going to have to tell me all about this place."  He was actually quite giddy to get out among the ruins, a perfect birthday treat for him all ready.

<Cecilia> "Well the car is in your name and if I want a ride back to San Juan I suppose I don't have much choice but to go with you if you do go," she teased, putting on her sunglasses and fluffing out her hair. "Of course we can. Oh! Before we set out though I have something for you."

<Fabian> "I get presents?"  Fabian asked hopefully.  "I even brought my compass for the excursion, figured it might as well get a maiden voyage out here after all."

<Cecilia> "Well, it is your birthday, isn't it?" Cecilia laughed, pulling out a package wrapped in brown paper and string. "Happy Birthday, mi amor." She gave him a quick kiss before handing him the gift. "For you."

<Fabian> "It is."  Fabian agreed, giving her a kiss back and tearing right into the gift, blinking as he realized what he now had in his hands.  "You are the best girlfriend."  He pulled his whip out, rolling the handle over in his hands.

<Cecilia> "Can I get that in writing?" Cecilia laughed, leaning against the car and crossing her arms. "I take it you like it. Good, it took me a lot of time and a very interesting trip to an Amish leather shop to find that thing."

<Fabian> He put his hat on and grinned.  "Of course I like it, there can't have been any doubt in your mind that this was the most perfect gift you could have gotten me now."

<Cecilia> "For a guy that loves history and exploring abandoned buildings? No, there was no doubt that nothing less than a whip and an Indiana Jones hat would do," she smiled. "Remind me to show you this move the Amish crafter showed me. It's called 'The Tasmanian Crack Back.'"

<Fabian> "...I want to hear an Amish man say this."  Fabian snorted as he picked up the last bit of his present.  "Yo-Yo Rodriguez now has his own fake ID...it's a proud day for my alter ego."

<Cecilia> Cecilia gathered up the paper, smiling. "Good birthday so far, then? I know it's not a big party or anything with just me around but I'm sure we'll find something to make up for that." Fabian seemed the type to like a lot of attention and a big celebration on his birthday.

<Fabian> "This is the perfect birthday.  Big parties are fake and full of people who don't want to be there."  He waved the idea away as he tucked his new ID into his wallet.  "Now, shall we then?"

<Cecilia> "Let's hit it," she said, shouldering her backpack and setting off towards the pathway into the site. "One of the most important archaeological finds in the Caribbean islands, the Tibes Ceremonial Center traces the lives of indigenous tribes in Puerto Rico to approximately 25 A.D.," she read off the sign at the entrance.  

<Cecilia> "To date, excavations at Tibes have uncovered ball courts, skeletons and ceremonial plazas. Please do not litter or disturb the wildlife. Take only pictures, not artefacts so others may enjoy the site in the future...right, as if I could stuff a ceremonial plaza in my backpack," she snorted.

<Fabian> "I'm more concerned with the wildlife...luckily, I'm armed!"  Fabian had looped the whip carefully through one of his belt-loops, quite liking the effect.  "I suppose with some willpower and a lot of time someone might be able to get one of the stones but I've no interest in breaking my back today."

<Cecilia> "When have you ever broken your back working in your life?" Cecilia teased, taking a deep breath of fresh air. "You don't know how hard work is Mr. Moneybags!"

<Fabian> "You know very well you've seen me work hard plenty of times, it's just not for money."

<Cecilia> "I was thinking more physical labour," she clarified. It was so green out here. "It's not your work ethic I'm questioning."

<Fabian> Fabian decided not to point out that patrols, fights, and training absolutely counted.  Now was not the time to revisit those things.  "I do precisely what I need to."

<Cecilia> "No action wasted, I like that." Cecilia said, pushing a drape of Spanish moss hanging from a tree aside. "...Hey, lookit this." She trotted up to a rock with a series of carvings on it on the side of the path. "Do you think it's like a warning?"

<Fabian> "Only way to find out is to charge forward wantonly as Indiana Jones, World's Worst Archaeologist, would have done.  Shall we?"

<Cecilia> "Well, don't just stand there asking me, charge!" Cecilia laughed, raising a fist in the air and jogging down the path. "Hahaha! They might've lined this pathway with statues that shoot darts at you but they didn't count on my mutation!" She said, spreading her arms and shielding up since she couldn't see anyone else on the path.

<Fabian> Fabian was definitely up for a good ridiculous charge, pelting ahead and cackling, turning and stopping to wait for Cecilia after a while.  "You truly saved my life back there.  Just keep me from snakes."

<Cecilia> Cecilia shuddered, coming to a stop. "Ugh, don't remind me! I fucking hate snakes...and I think your kryptonite is insects as opposed to most reptiles...please don't tell anyone I hate snakes. Everybody always puts fake ones around for me to find when they hear about it...the last person that did that got a slap."

<Fabian> "You've nothing to worry about from me. It's funny when people try to get me with fake bugs, it's just obvious and annoying."  He slung his arm around her.  "Now come on, we'll brave bugs and snakes for glorious purpose."

<Cecilia> "I knew I could trust you," she said, eyes widening as they came upon a large stone plaza. "So do you think they cut people's heads off here? Or just played some B-ball? Hell, maybe both. The Aztecs were badass like that weren't they? I'm sorry, I'm probably the worst tour guide," she laughed. "I don't really know that much about Taino culture and stuff. I just know I have some heritage there..."

<Cecilia> She thought a moment. "Actually, I don't know. I've just been told I do...I don't actually know much about my ethnic background beyond vague stories...I do know some Taino stories though, but they're probably not that scientific."

<Fabian> "Culture isn't strictly scientific, tell away."  Fabian assured her.  "And we can always find out together now, can't we?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled and sat down on the plaza. "I'm sure it wouldn't be so interesting. No fucking way I'm lucky enough be the long lost heir to a great fortune," she chuckled. She patted the space beside her. "How 'bout I tell you about the Taino chief Anacaona - 'The Golden Flower'?"

<Cecilia> "I could also tell you about Yuiza - 'The Last Taino Queen.'"

<Fabian> "Money's not really all that interesting to begin with so that won't hinder your story one way or another."  Fabian made himself comfortable and nodded to her suggestions.  "Whichever you want, I'm your audience."

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled and started in on the story of Anacaona.

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

Our Nation

<Cecilia> "You can keep drinking if you like," Cecilia said, pouring the last of the wine into Fabian's glass. They'd stopped in a very lovely restaurant in Ponce for some Caribbean dinner and it was getting pretty late. "It's your birthday, the least I can do is be the designated driver."

<Fabian> "You've said a dangerous, dangerous thing."  Fabian made sure Cecilia knew as he drank right up.  "This just tempts me into drinking more and seeing what level of an ass I can make of myself but I won't."  To tell the truth he was always paranoid he'd run into some distant relative of Cecilia's here so drinking in moderation was key right now.

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed. "Should I be more strict with you? Make more ultimatums? Compromise less? Attempt to domesticate you?" She shook her head, smiling. She was sure some thought she let him away with murder and it was possible that she did. She doubted she'd ever be so lax with someone else.

<Cecilia> "Guess I like living dangerously," she teased, raising an eyebrow and polishing off her glass.

<Fabian> "...yeah, you're not a parent of mine so that's just weird and it didn't exactly work well for Father anyway.  I am perfectly domesticated, as well, thank you.  It's been ages since I've attacked anyone or dirtied the carpets."

<Cecilia> It was probably a good thing she'd cut herself off when she did, Cecilia thought. She was already pretty giddy and this joking around was just sending her over the edge. "Paige didn't think it was weird. Rachel quit doing acid and pot 'cause she told her not to," she managed to snort out. "Nice to know you're past that though."

<Fabian> "You've met Professor Guthrie, haven't you?  Are you trying to propose a scenario that she's normal?  I still wouldn't be surprised if she started to fly via spewing rainbows."

<Cecilia> "I think one of the professors can already do that," she pointed out. She shrugged, nibbling on her vegetables. "I'm not a good judge of 'normal.' I've lived an unusual life by most standards - at least in the western world. I only have my own experiences and the experiences of others as a reference."

<Cecilia> "There are some things I'd draw the line on but acid and pot aren't one of them."

<Fabian> "So I'd best stay on the straight and narrow as far as the plundering and pillaging go, yes?"  Fabian asked, chuckling a little bit as he finished up his own plate.

<Cecilia> "Well, I dunno 'bout that now," she chuckled, sitting back from her empty plate. "If I get to be the queen of a village or two I suppose I could live with that, conquistador." She sighed contentedly, studying the other diners for a moment. "How do you feel about cake?"

<Fabian> "I am pleased by cake."  Fabian nodded after some serious consideration.  "And I'm sure we could probably take over a village or so just for that purpose.  Maybe we can even just forget school and go on to create a micro-nation.  We could take over Sealand."

<Cecilia> "Every time we leave the school you suggest we run off or start some sort of revolution," Cecilia pointed out, laughing. "One of these days you're gonna have to put your money where your mouth is, Fab...that being said we could totally take Sealand, for the record."

<Cecilia> She motioned a waiter over and whispered something into his ear that made him scurry off. "Cake first though, we'll run away or take over an island nation after cake."

<Fabian> "Of course we can, all we need is to rent a speedboat and you can bubble everyone off into the ocean and float us up...can we do this or will we get arrested?  I guess it's international waters since Sealand's not the most recognized place in the world..."

<Fabian> "Cake always comes first."  Fabian nodded, quite sure in this.

<Cecilia> "...do you think there could ever be an mutant nation?" Cecilia asked thoughtfully. "Like Genosha except, y'know, officially governed by us..." she sighed "...even as I say it it sounds impossible. No doubt some country or other would bomb the crap out of it. Hell, I bet they'd even say that having so many mutants in one area counts as having weapons of mass destruction."

<Fabian> "...it'd be a bit racist, too.  Don't say you're starting to come around to my old ideals now."  He chuckled at the very idea of Cee coming along to that.  "I mean, I may hold to some of it but I always figured you'd frown on it more."

<Cecilia> "Are we inviting humans to come study with us at Xavier's?" Cecilia asked, raising an eyebrow. She laughed a little at Fabian, "Did I say I wanted to exclude humans? I don't want that, I like humans just fine. I just want us to have more say in how things are run and not have to worry about being run down in the streets."

<Cecilia> She studied him for a moment. "I'm not a supremacist but that being said if push came to shove don't think for a second I wouldn't shove back."

<Fabian> "Well yes, I'd hope you would."  Fabian thought better of Cecilia than to think that she wouldn't push back when it came to such things.  "It's a nice thing to think about, but yes, it'd turn out badly more than likely."

<Cecilia> "Did I surprise you?" Cecilia asked, a little curious. "It sorta seems like I did."

<Fabian> Fabian just looked a little confused.  "I wouldn't say surprised, just wasn't expecting you to start your own mutant-only nation considering things.  Xavier's is a completely different thing and it gets blown up enough as it is."

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed. "Well, I'm not starting right now, here, sitting at this table having dinner with you. That's a tad ambitious even for me. Right now I'm more focused on getting into medical school - among other things."

<Cecilia> "The greatest accomplishments are always controversial," Cecilia shrugged. "No matter what you do there'll always be someone bitching about it. I'm not as concerned about controversy so much as I am about making an measurable change in the quality of this world."

<Fabian> "Still though, making a nation for a people, never the best idea or you end up with Israel/Palestine or Liberia...sadly, we haven't managed to take over the world yet but who knows."  He teased her a bit as the cake arrived.  "You're not going to make the staff sing at me, are you?"

<Cecilia> "I don't have to make them do anything," she said, grinning as they burst into a chorus of feliz cumpleaños. "You see?"

<Cecilia> She waited until they had finished and filed away before saying her piece. "Who said we have to force the issue? You saw Nur's ideas implemented. Look how that turned out. No, no. Brute force isn't the way, I don't think. There's gotta be a subtler way...but that's for someone greater than me to decide!" She said after a moment. "So, do you have a wish in mind then?"

<Fabian> Fabian did have to give Cecilia a bit of a weird look as he wondered what on earth Cecilia was on about.  "Oh, I'm sure we'll fulfil any wishes I could come up with as they come."  He chuckled, blowing the candles out.

<Cecilia> She was a little worried at the strange look. Oh yes, it had definitely been a good idea to stop drinking. "Any ones we could do today?" She looked at the street, it was getting dark.

<Fabian> "Anything we damned well please, I suppose. What would you like to do?"

<Cecilia> "I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of Ponce, maybe get lost for awhile. There's some trolleys by Parque de Bombas I saw while we were driving in. That might be worth taking a ride on."

<Fabian> Cecilia had essentially suggested one of Fabian's favourite things to do so he saluted the suggestion with his glass.  "Done!"

<Cecilia> She grinned. "I think we're far more compatible vacationers than even you believed. I told you there was nothing to worry about," she said, reaching out with her fork. "Now gimme some cake."

<Fabian> "Why would I have worried?  We've not done anything completely unadvised yet."  He pretended to hoard the cake though, taking a giant bite.

<Cecilia> "And people used to call me a tease," Cecilia said, amused, sneaking her fork in and wheedling out a little piece for herself. "You're terrible!"

<Fabian> He just snorted and slid the cake over to her.  "Of course I am!"

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

Surfacing

Cecilia flinched as she opened her eyes - Fabian's head was on her pillow, his face inches from hers and the entire right side of his body draped over her as he lay spread out to all corners of the bed, starfish-like. A king-sized bed all to themselves here and still she had no space.

"Zoquete," she grumbled affectionately, petting his hair. It spoke to how frequent an occurrence her nightmares were that Fabian didn't wake anymore.

She sat up a little, studying him. He always slept so peacefully - no nightmares, no wakeful nights, no restlessness - though by all rights he had enough to keep him awake for the rest of his life.

Compartmentalization, it had to be, she thought. He'd probably neatly sealed away that part of his life, cut all ties and just didn't think about the shit that'd happened anymore. At least, she thought that was what it was. The other possibility - that he didn't care - was too troubling a prospect to consider.

Carefully, she shuffled out of bed, filling the space she'd left behind with one of the pillows and wandered out the French doors onto the balcony of their suite.

So many people had died…so many had suffered and despite all the assurances to the contrary a part of her still felt responsible. She gripped the railing tightly, the cold metal biting into her palms. It wasn't just the guilt that was bothering her though or the violent re-emergence of her PTSD symptoms or even that they'd mostly failed in regards to handling the cult of Galactus.

No, what was eating her away was how angry she felt. Angry at being betrayed, at the cult for the damage that'd done, at those who'd flaked out when the team had been at its weakest, at being persecuted and blamed when she was trying to help.

She sighed irritably, running her hands through her hair. It was pointless to dwell on this, there would always be bastards to grind her down and most of the achievements she'd make in her lifetime would be discredited or ignored. The only thing to do really was keep reminding herself that she had done enough and hope that someday she'd believe it wholeheartedly.

Until then though she needed something to do so she'd quit brooding and maybe have another shot at falling asleep again. Her gaze settled onto the aquamarine water of the pool on the grounds below.

Cecilia went back into the room, closing the patio doors and scribbled a note onto a pad of paper and left it on her pillow. If Fabian woke up and she was still gone she didn't want him worrying.

Swimming in the pool, the cannibals didn't get me. - C.

Technically the pool was closed at this hour but as far as Cecilia was concerned if she wasn't disturbing anyone and nobody ever found out breaking the rules didn't matter much.

A few minutes later she was sitting at the bottom of the pool, completely submerged in the aquamarine water. It was quiet down there - the only sound the rhythmic echo of her heartbeat in her ears - and with her eyes closed it became possible for her mind to achieve a peace she was usually incapable of.

She stayed there - suspended - for a very long time.
Last edited by PanicSwitch on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

Love in the Time of Traveller's Diarrhea

<Cecilia> Cecilia sighed heavily, wiping the sweat off her face. It was a balmy 95 fahrenheit in San Juan today and she was already out of water. "Hold up for a sec," she panted to Fabian, flopping bonelessly onto a nearby bench. "Just gimme a minute."

<Fabian> Fabian let out a sigh, leaning back against the wall behind her and melting himself.  "Not a problem, I could use a minute, too."  He laughed, giving in and getting more sunblock before it all sweat off.

<Cecilia> Cecilia was quiet for awhile. "I'd forgotten how hot it can get here," she admitted. "You could fry an egg on the sidewalk..." She began looking around for someplace that might sell bottled water. "I also forgot about the fucking siesta - we're not gonna find anyplace to buy water for at least an hour." Dammit!

<Fabian> "I've still got some water."  Fabian held his bottle out for her temptingly, wriggling it back and forth.  "I imagine back at the hotel we'll be able to get things if that'll help."

<Fabian> "We just...need to get back there."

<Cecilia> Cecilia eyed the tiny amount of water still inside the bottle. "I'm not just gonna take your water, you need as much as I do..." she perked up as she caught sight of a fountain/sink sort of thing situated on a stucco wall.

<Cecilia> She got up and wandered over to it. The tap had an ornate lion head carved around it and it looked clean enough. Plus, there was a sign in Spanish saying people could use the water for their dogs. Well, if a dog could drink it, why couldn't she? "Jackpot," she said.

<Fabian> "You're kidding, right?"  Fabian asked, seeing what she was looking at and following along behind her.  "You're going to get yourself sick drinking out of random faucets."

<Cecilia> "Pfftttt," Cecilia said, waving a hand. "Maybe that'd happen to you - but it won't happen to me. I was born in La Perla! I've drank sketchier water than this tons of times." She turned the faucet and took a long drink out of the tap.

<Cecilia> "See?" She said, looking up and grinning. "Nothing to worry about."

<Fabian> "You've also been used to New York water since you were three."  Fabian pointed out, then just sighed.  It was too late so he hoped things went well at least.  "If you shit yourself mad though don't go blaming me."

<Cecilia> Cecilia stuck her head under the tap to cool herself down before turning off the water again. "I'm not gonna shit myself," she said, shaking her hair a little at him. "God, that feels so much better!"

<Fabian> "I hope not anyway, so, do you feel well enough to continue?"  He carefully sipped at his own water, wanting to make sure it lasted.

<Cecilia> "Yeah, I do." Cecilia said, enjoying the feeling of the water in her hair. "Let's wander back, maybe we can get some late lunch, yeah?"

<Fabian> Fabian nodded, offering his arm.  "I do enjoy wandering and lunch."

<Cecilia> ((Time Passes))

<Cecilia> Cecilia sighed very audibly as the hotel came into sight. "Thank Christ..." she muttered. She was feeling really nauseated and she was sweating something terrible - much to her embarrassment - she needed to get out of the sun fast.

<Fabian> "Oh the frosty cold girly drinks I am going to have!"  Fabian cried out quite happily as he walked alongside her.

<Cecilia> Cecilia pressed a hand to her stomach as it made a very loud gurgling sound. "Yeah, me too..." she said, grimacing. What the fuck was going on - ? Oh shit. She began walking at a much quicker pace.

<Fabian> As a matter of fact, Fabian was going to stop at the outside bar right now.  "What would you recommend that is freezing cold and will make me forget sweating everywhere?"  he asked the bartender and was soon enough handed what looked to be epically boozy frosties.

<Cecilia> Cecilia balked as Fabian stopped at the outdoor bar. "Gimme the room key," she demanded, eyes darting around frantically.

<Fabian> "I'm coming, don't worry."  Fabian assured her, scooping up their drinks.  "Right behind you."

<Cecilia> "Fine, fine - just hurry up!" Cecilia said, striding off into the lobby ahead of him. Shitshitshit! Literally! She pressed the elevator button once...then again...then she jammed it a few times before giving up and making a run for the stairs. "Dammit!"

<Fabian> Fabian looked quite bewildered as she took off.  Soon enough he was stepping onto the elevator though, still damned bewildered.

<Cecilia> Cecilia snarled as she tripped at the top of the stairs but was back up in a flash and running down the hall the next second. "Fuck!"

<Cecilia> Oh God she hoped she made it in time. She'd die of embarrassment if she shit herself in front of Fabian. What's worse, he'd probably never let her live it down and eventually - one day - when they weren't together or something he'd look back on this and remember her as the girl who shit herself on vacation with him forever.

<Fabian> Fabian was soon opening the door though.  He had a feeling about what was going on and he had a feeling also that tonight was going to be a long, long night.  He just stepped in, leaving the door open and went on to the bathroom to open it up as well.

<Cecilia> Cecilia rushed through the door seconds later. "Move!" She said, making a beeline for the bathroom and slamming the door behind her.

<Fabian> "...y'okay?"  Fabian asked a bit lamely from the other side of the door.  "Can I get you anything?"

<Cecilia> She was fucking mortified. Even the ceiling fan wasn't enough to muffle the sound that was her completely unloading her bowels. Can I get you anything?! "Stop standing by the door!" She cried, wishing lighting would come down and strike her dead.

<Fabian> "Sorry, sorry."  Fabian decided...just in case...she might want different clothes and went to get just that.

<Cecilia> Cecilia opened the door awhile later - after she'd used a liberal amount of air freshener - face completely red. "...why're my clothes lying on the floor?" She said, distracted for a moment. A new pair of pants and underwear were lying on the floor outside the bathroom door.

<Fabian> "...in case?"  Fabian looked a bit sheepish now as she questioned the presence of pants.

<Cecilia> Cecilia grabbed the clothes - hiding the pair of underwear in the sweatpants - humiliated that he'd rifled through her drawers. "Oh for fuck's sake - I didn't shit myself!" She exclaimed, not able to appreciate the consideration while her pride was more than a little stung.  

<Fabian> "I didn't say you did."  Fabian crossed his arms over his chest at that.  "Just attempting to be helpful."

<Cecilia> "Well I didn't ask for your help!" Cecilia snapped, throwing the clothes on the bed. "And don't rifle through my underwear again! That's private!"

<Fabian> "I didn't realize you had to ask."  Fabian sighed, going to their kitchen and rifling through to see if they had juice for the occasion.

<Cecilia> "Well you realized wrong! You do have to ask 'cause you can't just do things that relate to me without my permission! You aren't the authority on what's best for me - contrary to your belief, perhaps!" Cecilia said, flailing her arms. "So you don't just-" she stopped as her stomach growled, then lurched.

<Cecilia> "Oh fuck!" She cried, sounding close to tears as she darted back into the bathroom and slammed the door.

<Fabian> "...yeah, that one is karma coming out of your ass for the word vomit you just spewed."  Fabian informed her.  "And I'm getting you some juice whether you like it or not because your electrolytes are going to be absolutely fucked."

<Cecilia> "Oh shut-" Cecilia started to yell out the door before realizing karma wasn't going to restrict itself to just her ass. She seized the trashcan and vomited into it loudly. "Fuck! SHIT!" She coughed into the metal container.

<Fabian> Mints, they were going to need some mints for after juice and an extra cup of water just to rinse the taste out.  Fabian simply gave up and grabbed a tray, setting it up for her when she could manage it.

<Cecilia> Once Cecilia was damn sure that was the last of the uncontrollable crapping she cleaned up and left the bathroom, not even bothering to use the air freshener this time, there was no saving face now. She was a vomiting shitty mess.

<Cecilia> "...are there anymore trashcans?" She said, trying hard not to cry as she slunk over to the clean pants and underwear, stripping off the shirt that didn't quite make it through the last round of throwing up.

<Fabian> "I've got the kitchen one, we can start a rotation so just pass that one over and I'll clean it out in the sink."

<Cecilia> Clean clothes now on, Cecilia slunk over to the tray and put a mint in her mouth. "No, I'm the one that made the mess, I'll clean-" she didn't manage to get the rest of that out before she was running for the bathroom for the third time and vomiting into the sink "- it up.."

<Fabian> "Yeah, no, cleaning it up'll just set you off more."  Fabian replied, sneaking up to steal the trashcan and replace it with the other.

<Cecilia> Cecilia sat down on the bathroom mat since it was obvious she was going to be spending the rest of the day in there and covered her face to hide the tears, sniffing miserably. "Dammit!"

<Fabian> Fabian, looking at the all ready puked in trashcan and sink, decided he might as well just work in here.  "It'll be okay, soon you'll run out and can lay down."

<Cecilia> "No, it won't!" Cecilia bawled. "I made a really stupid decision, look like an ass and acted like a total bitch!"

<Cecilia> "What's worse though is now I'll always be that stupid chick you dated in college that shit herself on vacation! I'll be the laughingstock of all girlfriends to come!" She buried her face in her knees, humiliation complete. "Don't help me, I don't deserve it."

<Fabian> "...I feel like I should give you a daytime Emmy or something."  Fabian retorted, cleaning away.  "I suppose since you're passing on into this stage of the conversation it'll be over soon and we won't have to have wallowing melodrama?" He dug in the drawer until he found hair-clips, passing them over just in case.

<Cecilia> Cecilia snivelled, taking the hair-clips without protest and sitting quietly while Fabian cleaned up her vomit. "...I'm sorry," she said suddenly, after a long while. "You were just trying to help, I shouldn't have bitten your head off."

<Fabian> "It's all right, Cee, I don't exactly expect you to be at your best when things are basically retreating from you in all directions."  Fabian laughed, finishing up the clean-up job.  "The rest are going in the shower though, much easier."

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed a little, despite herself. "Don't make me laugh, I crapped up the bathroom, I'm trying to be humiliated...." she frowned at her right leg, it was beginning to tremor "...maybe I better have something to drink."

<Fabian> The tray was soon by her side.  "I figured orange juice is a classic and we all ready had it for a mixer so there we go there."

<Cecilia> Cecilia took the orange juice and began sipping at it. "...do you still love me even when I'm shitty?"

<Fabian> "Would I brave shitty you if I didn't?  Of course I do."

<Cecilia> Cecilia sniffed loudly and wrapped her arms around him. "Thank you. You're a good boyfriend, Fab... Jesus Christ, I'm sorry, I'm sweating like a goddamn pig." She was...she probably smelled bad too, to make things worse.

<Fabian> "We were all ready sweating up a storm as it is, don't worry about that."  He reminded her, setting the basket down and giving her a hug, a careful one.  "Anything else you need?"

<Cecilia> "A rock to hide under...if that's not available though a bed to lie in. I think its stopped now...but I'll keep a trashcan by just in case."

<Fabian> "It's best to keep them near....really best."  Fabian laughed just a bit though as he rubbed her back.

<Cecilia> Cecilia sighed, leaning into the back-rub. "Alright...enough feeling sorry for myself," she said, hauling herself up and making her way to the bed unsteadily. "Time to lie down and die."

<Fabian> "When you've mastered that for a while I recommend a bath as well. I know I'm plenty gamey as it is."

<Cecilia> Cecilia nodded and collapsed face first onto the bed. "C'mere for a minute and be gross with me?" She asked, beckoning him over with one arm.

<Fabian> Fabian nodded, crawling into bed with her once he had made his way on over.  "How's that?"

<Cecilia> "Gross but nice," Cecilia said, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "...this isn't a free pass to fart around me all the time though, just so you know, there's comfortable and then there's too comfortable."

<Fabian> "...you mean that's been off the table?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia thought a moment. "...well, I guess if you're discreet..." she snorted. "I can't believe I'm talking about this."

<Fabian> "I know, don't worry, announcing anything like that is something that happens in marriages only."

<Cecilia> "Not in any marriage I'm in!" Cecilia said, scandalized. "God, TMI much?" She turned over, grumbling. "No wonder the divorce rate's so high, there is such a thing as keeping the romance alive!"

<Fabian> "If romance depended on complete ignorance of some of the uglier sides of being around a person I would hate to think about our romance."

<Cecilia> Cecilia thought about that for a minute. "Mm, I guess so...we've never really had the luxury of illusions...or been particularly interested in hiding who we were. If I had to choose between too much truth or none at all - I'd pick too much truth. I hate lies."

<Cecilia> She smiled brightly. "Heh, I never thought I'd have a romance...I'm glad I was wrong."
Last edited by PanicSwitch on Wed May 15, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

The Fortress

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled as Fabian drove up Norzagaray Street, past the trolleys heading up from the piers packed full of tourists, up to El Morro fortress. "So between this and our trip to Tibes this has turned out to be just your sort of vacation hasn't it, mi amor?" She said, reaching over and giving his shoulder a squeeze.

<Fabian> "Well, I've not run away for a day to join a monastery to get drunk with monks yet but I'd say so far so good!"  Fabian laughed.  "You're sure you're feeling up for this today though, right?  We can always do this with your family, too, if you need a rest day."

<Cecilia> Cecilia shook her head. "I'm fine, really, that pepto bismol really does wonders...besides, I sorta just want this one to be just you and me." She eyed the large field in front of the fort where people were flying kites. Oh, she knew what she wanted to do on the way out.

<Fabian> "You want to have all my flaily historical obsessing all to yourself, hmm?"  He teased, poking her in the side.  "I suppose that's a sign that I've not started to annoy you with such things then, yes?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia squirmed a little at the poke, batting at his hand. "Why would that be annoying? It's interesting and I like hearing you talk about something you're so into - you look really happy." She wraggled her eyebrows at him. "That and you're really sexy when you talk about history. I've told you that before."

<Fabian> "Even when I rant I look happy?"  Fabian found that surprisingly hilarious.  "Well, I'm glad I know what works for me then, I wish I had brought my whip now but I imagine people would have thought it a bit strange and probably eye me through the whole thing."

<Cecilia> "I just mean that you can tell your passionate about it," she said as they pulled into a parking spot. "It's nice to see that in someone. I don't like people that have no passions, nothing they care to devote their time to. It's a sign of a dull mind my father would've said."

<Fabian> Fabian took the flattery well, puffing right up and grinning as he shut down the engine.  "Well, I like to think the last thing I am is dull even though I imagine not everyone else is as crazy about hearing me go on about this passion as you; makes it more fun, too."

<Cecilia> Cecilia chuckled at his puffing up. "For a guy with so much confidence you sure love flattery," she teased, poking him gently in the stomach before getting out of the car. "You're never dull and most people aren't bright enough to appreciate anything academic. Also, I've always had a soft spot for you." She smiled warmly.

<Fabian> "What?  I don't have too many sources for flattery so I eat it up when people realize how truly awesome I can be."  He laughed and slid out as well, offering his arm once he was around the front of it.  "A soft spot, you say?  I'm glad I can take advantage of that now as well.  I'll admit to a soft spot for you as well."

<Cecilia> Cecilia slid her arm into his, smiling shyly. "I noticed, it's not every girl you've invited to spend the summer with you, now has it?" No it was not, indeed.

<Fabian> "Not in this way, no."  Fabian answered quite truthfully.  "You are a category of your own, what can I say?"  He looked over the fort and the expanse of green they had just arrived at.  "This is pretty fantastic."

<Cecilia> "It is, isn't it?" Cecilia said, actually really interested in the structure. "Its sister fortress Castillo San Cristóbal is pretty impressive too...it's amazing to think my these places have been standing here for as long as my ancestors have been here...I wonder if any of them ever came here?" Doubtful, she wasn't anyone important.

<Fabian> "I don't see why not, your family's been here for some time."  Fabian offered , heading for the wall with her.  "I'm afraid I don't know too much about this place, only that it's been taken just once, Cumberland I think, so you're going to have to tell me if you know anything."

<Cecilia> "If I remember anything I was told," Cecilia remarked taking in the imposing stone walls. "I was very little when I left." She thought for awhile, brow furrowed in concentration. "I think this place is the oldest European constructs in the US National Parks Service..."

<Cecilia> She studied one of the sentry stations up on the ramparts and pointed. "Those are called garitas," she said. "And the last time this place saw any action was during the Spanish-American War, I think..."

<Fabian> "Yeah, sentry checkpoints."  Fabian nodded, looking up at the spot.  "Shall we?  Should have a good view."

<Cecilia> "Of course!" Cecilia said, steering them over to the steps and climbing up to the top of the wall. She raised a hand to block the sun from her eyes, staring out at the ocean. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" She called over the wind, the breeze blowing her hair every which way.

<Fabian> Once they were up there the first thing Fabian naturally did was lean out the window to almost unadvisable lengths.  "It's fantastic!  It makes me want to take up cliff-diving!"

<Cecilia> Cecilia subtlety wound her arm around Fabian's waist, holding onto him firmly. "If you're not careful you're going to take it up right now, mi heroe!" She laughed, amused at how enthusiastic he was.

<Fabian> "I've not fallen out of a window yet, I promise."  He ducked back in though, not wanting to push his luck either.  "I promise any time I'm going to fly out a window I'll do it on purpose and land gracefully."

<Cecilia> Cecilia snorted. "Good to know," she said, wandering down ramparts, running her hands along the stone. "Makes me feel a little better at least."

<Fabian> "That I'm not going to randomly fly out of a window going 'oh crap'?  I think it makes me feel better, too."  He hurried along with her, laughing. "Only if you promise the same."

<Cecilia> Cecilia laughed. "I'll try not to, I tend to piss people off though so I can't guarantee anything but even if that happens I have my shields. Most things don't keep me down for long...even though some things hurt like a bitch," she teased.

<Fabian> "I don't think anyone's going to throw you out of a window any time soon...but if that's part of the scenario then we've got to count that as a possibility for myself because we all know I piss people off as well."

<Cecilia> "Someone already threw me down the stairs," Cecilia pointed out, shrugging as she began to trot down the stairs leading down to the courtyard. "Granted, I did throw her down first, but still..." she smirked devilishly at that. "What we should do now is piss people off together. I could shield you from impacts and you could power me up. Now that'd be something."

<Fabian> "That sets a dangerous precedent for when we accidentally piss one another off, though."  Fabian teased but laughed at her suggestion.  "We'd be horrible.  It's no fun to set out to piss people off though, we'll just let them naturally come to us."

<Cecilia> "Well, I don't go looking for it," Cecilia said, raising an eyebrow. "I just call things as I see 'em. The only reason we get shit is 'cause we're actually brave enough to call people on the carpet and truth hurts." She reached for Fabian's hand. "You're right, y'know. Some things need to be said, no matter how terrible they are."

<Fabian> "Well now, sometimes I'm a shit for the sake of being a shit.  It's more a warning for me than you."  He laughed at himself at that point.  "I don't promise that'll ever change, though, because it's fun."

<Cecilia> She leaned against him a little. "I don't want you to change...okay, well maybe in some ways I don't mind...but I don't want you to be a completely different person." She looked up at the kites out at the front. "You wanna fly a kite with me? Maybe after we can have a look at the dungeons, too?"

<Fabian> "How could anyone ever want me to change?  I'm too delightful."  Fabian would argue against that idea day and night.  He rubbed his hands together at her other suggestions, though.  "Yes and yes, no vacation is complete without some dungeons."

<Cecilia> "Who, indeed?" Cecilia said, stepping out into the enormous field. There was a small stand selling kites there. "Uno, por favor," she said, lifting a finger and taking the kite that was offered. "Have you flown a kite before?" She asked Fabian.

<Cecilia> ((Spanish: One, please.))

<Fabian> "Not successfully."  Fabian answered.  "Drunk, however, yes, but I wouldn't call it successfully."

<Cecilia> "My brother and I used to make them out of newspaper and fishing line when I was really little, but you had to keep running to keep them in the air. Oh well, I guess we'll learn as we go."

<Cecilia> She set up the kite, raising it to the wind. "Ready?"

<Fabian> Fabian took up the other end, feeding her a bit of string and backing up.  "Set, and this time I have no bushes to fall into or the roof to fall off of so I think I'm safe."

<Cecilia> "And you wonder why I worry about you falling outta the window?" Cecilia laughed, throwing the kite into the air. It took to the wind nicely and for a long minute she stood there, watching it soar. "Stavropaulos, the guy I used to work for, he once told me about a guy who flew too close to the sun. Icarus?"

<Fabian> "I don't think either of us are going to have to worry about our wings melting off."  Fabian assured her as she brought up Icarus.  "What did he used to say about him?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia grinned and cartwheeled slightly clumsily (she wasn't much of a gymnast) in Fabian's direction. "He used to say he was too ambitious and that the story was made to teach people something." She threw her arms out, letting the sun bathe over her, closing her eyes peacefully. "He wasn't very subtle, I knew he was talking about me when he said it."

<Fabian> "Well, we can look forward to telling Stavropaulos to shove it on that point because I'd say we're both Daedalus in this myth, smart enough to build the wings and not stupid enough to get them melted."

<Cecilia> Cecilia shook her head. "He died in my last year of high school, why else do you think I was working in McDonald's? He meant well...I took Rachel to his family's restaurant awhile ago. They closed the grocery but his relatives still run the cafe."

<Fabian> "We shall have to sometime, but dead or not I would still consider him wrong in the comparison."

<Cecilia> Cecilia nodded. "Don't worry, I only take my own assessments of things as valid for the most part," she teased. "Even though people close to me have mostly good intentions I don't think anyone can know what's best for a person except them...speaking of which, my family's gonna be here tomorrow!" She said, her tone indecipherable.

<Fabian> "Does that mean mine aren't valid?"  Fabian asked teasingly right back.  "And yes, they are.  I hope they have a better flight than the last leg of ours at least."

<Cecilia> "I take people's opinion into consideration if I think they have a good point," she said, sticking out her tongue. She looked up at the kite. "I hope so too..." she frowned "...I'm not really sure how I feel about them coming here."

<Fabian> "You don't think they'll enjoy it?"  Fabian asked, then smirked slyly.  "Or you just aren't ready to give up our own private room and time?"

<Cecilia> "No, I just...I wish they cared less sometimes," she said. "They ask a lot of questions I don't really know how to answer or don't want to answer. Seeing them on my birthday...I felt alienated from them." She sighed. "That and I don't want to stop sleeping with you. It'll be hard when you're not there."

<Fabian> He sighed a little bit.  "I know you don't want to answer but the reason you're feeling alienated probably is because you're not letting yourself answer those questions.  Your family's great, Cee."

<Cecilia> She shrugged. "I know and that's why I want to keep them away from that. They shouldn't have to deal with that...hell, I don't think my mother can deal with it," she said, swallowing the lump that'd appeared suddenly in her throat. "That's why I never talked to her about...well y'know."

<Cecilia>  She ran a hand through her hair. "Maybe I could talk to Miguel though. Maybe he'd get it," she admitted. Her brother had seen tons of combat in Iraq, he might be able to appreciate the gravity of the shit they'd been through in the X-Men.

<Fabian> "I think that's a start."  He replied honestly although he had to admit there was something wrongly nice about finding the one point where his family was more healthier than hers as he never even thought about keeping back that information.

<Cecilia> She leaned against Fabian. "I think I'll leave out the part where Ed ate Kraven's heart though," she said, clapping her hands against her mouth as soon as she said it. "Oh God. I'm sorry, I have no idea where that came from!"

<Fabian> "...why are you apologizing to me?"  Fabian laughed, oddly amused at it.

<Cecilia> Hetearshiminhalfandeatstheheartinfrontofus. "It was just weird," she said, troubled. "I couldn't remember that until I blurted it out...I know from the debriefs it happened but there was just this huge hole in my memory until now."

<Cecilia> "...thank God I didn't just blurt that shit out in front of my family."

<Fabian> Fabian just put his arm around her, patting her side and shaking his head.  "You'll talk to them eventually when you're ready for it...but yes, probably best not to blurt."

<Cecilia> "I try not to," Cecilia agreed. "Let's just hope there're no lettuce heads around when they're with us, yeah?" She laughed, ribbing Fabian a little. "I apologized to Sebastian for that, actually. He was pretty cool about it. Then we watched Popular Mechanics together."

<Fabian> "...that sounds really awesome...and I won't promise to not buy a random head of lettuce."

<Cecilia> "Hmph, lettuce… he hit on me too," Cecilia snorted. "It was sorta funny - he said you were a lucky man."

<Fabian> Fabian puffed up as it would probably be assumed he would. "I am."

<Cecilia> "You are," she said, stealing a kiss.

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

Pearls Before Swine

Miguel: "Sweet digs," Miguel said, looking around the restaurant as the party of six were led to their table.

Cecilia: Cecilia frowned as they were led in. Something was off about this place, but she couldn't put her finger on what. Bad feng-shui, perhaps?

Fabian: Fabian was immune to anything being off with the place; as a matter of fact he quite enjoyed it. "With any luck the food will live up to the place." He smiled, pulling out his and Cecilia's chair. "So, how was the flight in?"

Carmen: "Oooh, someone's a fancy lady now - getting her chair pulled out for her," Carmen teased across the table, grinning at Cecilia.

Miguel: Miguel shrugged. "Alright, little rocky towards the end though and the flight attendant nearly gave Ma a heart-attack. 'Spread out,' she tells us, 'this plane has balance issues.'" He snorted. "Yeah, thanks lady."

Vincente: "Well, we made it in any case," Vincente said, flipping through the menu. "Hyperventilating non-withstanding."

Fabian: "Oh so it's all the same flight into here, that's somewhat comforting." Fabian chuckled as he took his seat and glanced about the menu as well. "I made a point not to tell Cee here I had heard that because I liked my ribs where they were and didn't want her trying to climb out over me."

Vincente: Vincente snorted. "I can definitely see that happening! Imagine the shitstorm that'd 'cause! Isn't opening the emergency exits outside of a catastrophe some sorta felony?"

Carmen: "It is," Carmen said. "Though I've never actually arrested anybody for doing it."

Fabian: "Well, most of the time it'd result in untimely death so I doubt people are in much of a hurry to do it." Fabian shrugged. "Though I imagine if you ever do it'll be strangely hilarious."

Maria: "<I'm just glad we're here now,>" Maria said, reaching over and squeezing Fabian's hand briefly. "<It was very generous of you to invite us.>"

Miguel: "Watch out," Miguel laughed. "Mom's gonna adopt you if you're not careful!"

Fabian: "I can only imagine the fit my father would have if he decided I was trying to replace the family." Fabian chuckled and gave Maria a good grin. "And it's no problem at all, I just hope you enjoy it."

Carmen:"You see any of your family this summer?" Carmen asked, turning briefly to let the waiter take her order. "Hey, check it out, they have some sorta stove- fireplace thingamajig in the middle of the room there. Think they're gonna roast the meat in front of us?"

Cecilia: Cecilia stayed silent through all of this, eyes drifting nervously about the room before her gaze settled on a woman in a short red velvet dress. Redrobesallaroundsmellofrottingflesh.

Fabian: "No, I figured I'd want to spend some more time down here, really, so I let flying out to Barcelona out. Father and Jacinta are doing a bit of travelling as well at the moment anyway, Jacinta is with her sister and Father was going to do something in Majorca, wasn't really paying attention to what I'll admit."

Maria: Maria looked a bit sad at this. Didn't his parents want to see him? "<Well, we're happy to see you. I know we're not related by blood but still.>"

Vincente: "When did blood ever matter?" Vincente asked Maria. "I didn't stop seeing you once Alejandro died. Besides, being related to someone doesn't mean you like them. Hell, look at my mother."

Maria:"<That reminds me, I should probably see some of my family while I'm here...>" Maria said.

Fabian: "Jacinta also knew I was inviting all of you down and she figured that the pressure of families meeting was probably something to be avoided for now." Thank God for Jacinta's realizations, Fabian almost never had to explain why something was a poor idea. "But yes, my best family is no blood to me so have to say I agree with that."

Miguel: "Are we not gonna go over real well with your family or something - OW!" Miguel cried as he was swiftly kicked under the table. "What?! I was just asking!"

Vincente: "He just said it's an added pressure nobody needs right now," Vincente said firmly to his nephew. "This is meant to be a vacation."

Cecilia: Cecilia watched the fire-pit in the middle of the room - her eyes wide.

Fabian: "Well...my father just...doesn't socialize well beyond the people he knows." That was the best way Fabian could ever have put that.

Miguel: "Everybody's someone you don't know until you get to know them," Miguel said sagely.

Cecilia: Cecilia inhaled sharply as the kitchen staff brought out a roasted pig with an apple in it's mouth and set it on a spit on the fire-pit. It was then, in that moment, that all sense of the present left her and she began to see not diners in a Puerto Rican restaurant but cultists in red robes gathering around the charred corpses of Jamie Madrox's dupes.

Maria: Maria looked over at her daughter, brow furrowed. "<Are you alright, mi hija? You look pale.>"

Fabian: Fabian frowned, glancing over at Cecilia and noticed that she appeared to be making an attempt at his skin-tone. "Cee? What's wrong?"

Cecilia: Cecilia didn't respond, her eyes moving as though she was watching some invisible scene being played before her. "I will accept the lord's gift with humility and piety," she hissed rapidly, the words almost nonsensical.

Miguel: Miguel frowned and reached across the table, waving his hand in front of Cecilia's face. "Shit..." he muttered, he'd seen his sister do this only once before but there was no doubt in his mind what this was.

Fabian: Fabian, while taken by surprise, knew from what came out of her mouth what this was. He glanced towards Miguel. "How does she take being shocked out of this state or should we let it resolve naturally?"

Miguel: Miguel shrugged helplessly. "I don't know, I don't think we could bring her back if we wanted to. I've never heard of it being done, it'll probably stop on it's own just give it a-"

Cecilia: Cecilia leapt up suddenly, knocking back her seat, hands flying to the side of her head where she'd been bitten by the cultist before completely turning tail and sprinting out of the restaurant. Much to the surprise of all the patrons.

Fabian: That was more or less what he was afraid of happening. He looked back, worried that she was going to run off in too much of a state to know where she was going and get herself in trouble. "I'll be back." He told the table, getting up to follow.

Miguel: Miguel stood up as well, gesturing to stay where they were. "I'll come with," he said, following behind Fabian. "You'll need all the help you can get."

Fabian: Fabian didn't argue until they had stepped away a bit. "I'm not sure she's going to be completely open to talking about what this is about."

Miguel: "No shit," Miguel laughed. "She might though, if this is handled the right way. I'll warn you though, she's going to be particularly snappish, so just...don't take a lot of things she says personally."

Fabian: "We've learned how to handle one another. I was with her when what I think was bothering her at the moment happened though."

Miguel: "Mind filling me in on what that was?" Miguel said. "I know pretty much everything up until that body was found on the campus, after that she stopped returning my calls."

Fabian: "Which body?"

Miguel: Miguel eyed Fabian, not so sure if he was playing dumb or he was actually serious. "Officer Caleb Michaels, Cee says you guys found him in the woods...well, what was left of him."

Fabian: "Okay, after that we were dealing with police in and out of campus, keeping patrols up, someone basically punted what we thought was Sebastian Shaw's head at the door and Cee was one of the people who found it."

Fabian: "Soon enough we get a good lead on a location and we bust one of the cult's dinners and that's what she's remembering at the moment I think, we find Cassie's body, oh, and I forgot to mention Jamie and Johnny being taken separate from any of that."

Fabian: "She was on the final mission where Eddie and Hope also showed up and Eddie murdered Kraven and ate his heart."

Fabian: "Jamie was rescued, Cassie crashed her own funeral, and I think you're caught up."

Miguel: Miguel stopped in his tracks and stared. "...Are you fucking kidding me?! Jesus H. Christ! I mean..." he gesticulated helplessly, reminiscent of his sister. "Who the fuck was charge? Why did they have her on active duty?!"

Fabian: "Because she held it together as well as anyone else did." Fabian answered truthfully. "Three people taken, two people going AWOL, general security at the school especially since two of the cultists had good knowledge of the school layout? There wasn't much in the way of choice."

Miguel: Miguel sighed heavily. "This is why I hate the set-up your school has. There's only a loose chain of command and those that are in charge have little to enforce their authority. Going AWOL in the military? You're looking at court martial and time in prison."

Cecilia: "Anyways, that's just my inner army talking, don't mind me," Miguel said, looking around the street for his sister. "She shouldn't be far."

Cecilia: Cecilia wasn't that far. In fact she was only a block or so down the road, standing at a low stone wall that overlooked the shore. Hands on her knees and bend over, breathing heavily.

Fabian: Fabian just smirked as he tried to imagine the cluster-fuck that would have been putting a Stark in jail right now. Well, the less Miguel or anyone knows the better there. "Sometimes we have to use our best judgment." He decided to step out away from Miguel, circling around so he was coming where Cecilia could see him.

Miguel: Miguel waved. "Hey, sis! You back in the present? No more time warp or anything?"

Cecilia: Cecilia turned her face away. "Yeah, I'm fine now. I came outta of it maybe half-way down the goddamn street," she said bitterly.

Fabian: "The pig was too much, wasn't it?" Fabian asked, wrinkling his nose. "You want to head back to the hotel?"

Cecilia: "It wasn't the pig," Cecilia shot. "It started the second I walked in and now I know why: the set-up of the room was similar to the banquet hall. There was a fire-pit in the centre of the room there too."

Cecilia: "Then there was a woman in a red velvet dress..." she continued, shaking her head "...then the pig and I just...I completely lost it. I had no idea where I was anymore. That's only happened once before!"

Miguel: Miguel sat down on the stone wall a small distance away. "So it happened again, so what? It doesn't mean anything, sis. It's just your mind sorting things out. It's not a big deal."

Fabian: "That's what I was saying, the last straw. What happened happened though so there's no reason to get upset about the fact it did." Fabian hoped to nip the 'what did I just do' flailing in the bud. "So what do you say we at least change places, hmm? Give yourself a moment and we can just ask the others to meet us out of there."

Cecilia: "No, I don't want everyone to accommodate me and my problems!" Cecilia snapped. "It just makes me feel like a fuck-up and like I'm ruining everyone else's time! God, both of you just leave me alone!"

Miguel: "Okay, we won't make everyone else leave," Miguel said, raising his hands. "But we're not gonna just leave you here. We're not trying to make you feel worse. Do you really think either one of us would do that?"

Fabian: Miguel did a much softer version of what Fabian generally did. "I'm sorry, would you make me stay in a place if I got set off? You're not going to be happy in there and nobody else is because they're going to be worried about you."

Fabian: "There are things you know very well would have sent me out of a place and I would have hoped you wouldn't just roll me back in."

Miguel: Miguel leaned over. "Have I ever told you I like you?" He whispered. "'Cause I do, good job professin' professor."

Cecilia: "...no, I don't and no, I wouldn't." She said reluctantly, answering both their questions. She sighed, " I don't really wanna go back anyways. I probably embarrassed myself. People probably think I'm crazy."

Miguel: Miguel snorted. "They probably just think you left your keys in the car."

Fabian: "Yeah, I wouldn't worry about any 'scene' created. I know I've got a higher level of scene criteria but I wouldn't say it was a bad one." He smiled at that. "But no need to go back. We've got plenty of places we can go."

Miguel: Miguel looked over at Fabian. "We don't need to make the others leave even, right? Fabian and I can just go back in, bag our food and tell the others we're taking the party somewhere else. Right, man?"

Fabian: Fabian thought that would be a bit odd, actually and looked a bit confused at Miguel suggesting it "We could always just get our food and dine out, we've got an expanse of beach, after all."

Miguel: Miguel clapped his hands. "See? I love this guy, takes my ideas a step further and makes them seamless. I didn't even think of that."

Cecilia: Cecilia seemed to consider this. "…Alright, I guess that'd be okay." She got up. "I don't talk wanna about it anymore now."

Fabian: "Would you mind getting the others then, Miguel?" Fabian asked, standing up from his crouch.

Miguel: "Nope, I wouldn't." He said, starting up the road. "I'll be back in a sec."

Fabian: Fabian offered his arm once he was gone. "Ready to be up?"

Cecilia: Cecilia nodded, standing up and taking his arm. "I was afraid this would happen. So far it hasn't been that bad...though it's probably the change in location. If I were at the school I'd be running into a lot more reminders on a regular basis."

Fabian: "Which is part of the reason a vacation was most needed." Fabian agreed. "But we both knew something was going to happen so just let it happen and don't panic over the fact it did."

Cecilia: Cecilia nodded absently. "I just wish it'd been at a more convenient time...no, what I really wish is I was never effected by anything at all."

Cecilia: "It'll never go away, the best I can ever hope for is better coping skills," she sighed, exasperated. "Knowing that I just...sometimes I get really tired."

Fabian: "Then you'd be a psychopath." Fabian pointed out.

Cecilia: "At least they sleep at night," Cecilia pointed out, only half-jokingly.

Fabian: Fabian just gave her a look at that.

Cecilia: Cecilia didn't know what to do with that look, she had a feeling she was being judged. "What? It's true."

Fabian: "Seems a bit of a price for something you'll eventually get on your own or a dose of Ambien can get you."

Cecilia: She sighed and squeezed his arm a little. "Don't look so...I don't know...I'm not changing - not significantly at any rate - the Cecilia you have is the one were all stuck with. For better or worse..."

Fabian: "I wasn't thinking you were." Fabian just laughed, sure that she was always going to be as melodramatic as she was. "Lets just...not use that as a thing to be anymore."

Cecilia: Cecilia nodded. "Alright."

Miguel: Miguel wandered out the restaurant with the the rest of the family in tow. "Hey, ready to head out?" He asked, holding up a brown paper bag with food in it.

Fabian: "Definitely lets go." Fabian gladly led the way off to the shoreline.

Cecilia: Cecilia looked especially sour as everyone gathered around and started asking her if she was alright.

Cecilia: "Let's go," she said, not responding to the questions. This was exactly what she didn't want. A lot of attention being focused on her for something so stupid.

Fabian: Fabian fought another eye-roll. "Everything's good, time for an environment change though, the beach'll be better anyway."

Miguel: Miguel slid up beside Fabian. "How dare we be concerned?!" He snorted jokingly. "Yeah, she's not too fond of asking for or receiving help. I'm sure you've noticed."

Fabian: "I have met her, Miguel." Fabian chuckled quietly. "Luckily I rarely listen to her."

Miguel: "It's a good thing you're around," he said. "Really, I don't know if you know how much we all appreciate it. It's nice to know somebody at the university really gets her."

Cecilia: "Oh ye of little faith," Cecilia deadpanned. "Also, Miguel? I think the bombs in Iraq might've effected your hearing 'cause you talk a lot louder than you think you do." She looked happier though, more in the mood for joking, so that was a good sign.

Fabian: "I, for one, likes the fact that he thinks I get you instead of me just being terribly overbearing."

Cecilia: "'Cause I know what a bossy little thing she is," Miguel said, laughing.

Vincente: The group came up to the wall by the beach and began passing out the food. "Who had the pasta with the shrimp in it?" Vincente asked.

Fabian: Fabian passed the bag to Vincente and glanced to Cecilia. "You mean you've not told them how I'm impossible to boss?"

Cecilia: Cecilia took the pasta with the shrimp in it. "I don't tell them many bad things about you," she said, sticking out her tongue. " Really though, I let you make your own impressions."

Carmen: "She tight-lipped," Carmen said, gesturing to Cecilia. "Good at keeping secrets. Anything she doesn't want us to know isn't gonna be known."

Fabian: "...I don't think it's a bad thing." Fabian jokingly pouted at that. "I like to think it's a good thing."

Cecilia: "Many a woman has tried to tame you," Cecilia said dramatically. "But none have succeeded!"

Miguel: "Speaking of being tamed," Miguel said, reaching in his pocket and offering the couple a slightly crumpled envelope. "I was gonna give you this at the restaurant but here's as good a place as any."

Fabian: "That's because the whole idea of taming is weird and wrong, neither of us are Siegfried or Roy and I'd be worried if we were." Fabian laughed and curiously opened the envelope. "...well well."

Cecilia: "Preaching to the choir," Cecilia said, peering over Fabian's shoulder. "HOLY SHIT!" She shouted at Miguel. "You're getting married?! To who?!"

Miguel: Miguel rubbed his ear. "Jesus, sis, it's not the bombs that're making me deaf, it's you shouting all the time!" He pointed to the invite. "Says right there - Lola."

Fabian: "Now if that were true there'd be more deafness at the school, especially poor Jimmy." Fabian deadpanned. "Well, congratulations!"

Carmen: "Better congratulate him again," Carmen snorted. "Guess why he's getting married."

Maria: Maria looked somewhat peeved at this. "<It's because he didn't listen to anything I said or anything they said in church!>"

Fabian: "Well, a baby is a baby, so yes, congratulations again."

Vincente: "C'mon Maria don't be so upset. It's not like you and Alejandro weren't a shotgun marriage either. People make mistakes," said Vincente.

Maria: Maria just muttered something about not wanting her children to end up like her.

Cecilia: Cecilia schooled her face into a nice neutral expression that said 'I am a sweet, virtuous angel that has never had an impure thought in her life and definitely hasn't had physical relations before my wedding day.' "When's the baby due?"

Miguel: "Early next year," Miguel said.

Fabian: Well this was a fun talk. Fabian decided it was best he simply didn't say too much about such things so he just put a smile on. "Talked names or anything yet?"

Miguel: Miguel shook his head. "Nah, little early for that. It's..." he counted on his fingers "...just under three months cooking."

Cecilia: "Y'know, you're two years older than mom when she had you," Cecilia pointed out, "and one year younger than when mom had me. Funny, huh?"
Maria: Maria didn't look like she thought it was very funny. "<Just make sure you're not the same age as I was,>" she said, shuffling over and putting her arm around Cecilia protectively. "<You're a smart girl. Get your medical degree first.>"

Fabian: "I don't think you have to worry about her finishing her degree and everything, Cecilia will do it all fine." Fabian assured her, smiling a bit wider for the occasion.

Cecilia: It was so hard not to start laughing nervously. "Of course I will....Mom, you can stop crushing my ribs now."

Miguel: "When I told her I didn't know if she was gonna hug me or slap me," Miguel muttered to Fabian. "Thankfully the hug won over, though it was a bit strangulating."

Fabian: "That's a bit better at least." Fabian had to laugh a little bit. "She'll be happier when there's a baby to coddle, yes?"

Miguel: "Oh yeah," Miguel nodded. "Since she doesn't have Cecilia to baby anymore she'll appreciate it."

Cecilia: "Can I babysit?" Cecilia said. "When it's born, I mean."

Fabian: Fabian couldn't even hide his mild alarm when he heard Cecilia ask that.

Miguel: "Course you can," Miguel laughed. "In fact, I insist."

Vincente: "Tia Cecilia and tio Fabian. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" Vincente said, grinning.

Fabian: Terrifying, it had a terrifying ring to it. Although by 'babysit' they could always just arrange play-dates with the kids all ready at school and consider him entertained. He relaxed and smiled now that he had a backup plan. "It does at that."

Cecilia: For her part, Cecilia was completely oblivious to any discomfort Fabian was experiencing, already too excited that she was going to be an aunt. "This has made my day!" She leaned on Fabian, grinning widely. "This'll be great."

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

BUGS!

Miguel: Miguel whooped as the guide drove the jeep through a very large and muddy pothole, sending water splashing on all sides. "Best idea ever!" He laughed, grinning at the lush scenery. "Where're the monkeys? I wanna see a monkey."

Cecilia: Cecilia grit her teeth as they hit another pothole, peering slightly fearfully at the bushes as though she expected some large carnivorous animal to burst out of them at any moment. "Worse idea ever. I've been bitten twice by mosquitos, I'm gonna get dengue fever...again," she muttered.

Fabian: Fabian had been pretty damned diligent with the bug-spray and the sunscreen today so, so far, he was actually having a decent day. "We'll be sure you make it through the day...and I'm not sure we want to see too many monkeys, I've a feeling they'll find me offensive and attack with shit."

Carmen: "Well now I really wanna see some monkeys," Carmen laughed.

Vincente: "You're not gonna get dengue fever from two mosquito bites," Vincente said, laughing and patting Cecilia on the shoulder. "I can't believe you even remember having it - you were only two."

Fabian: Fabian mock-pouted at Carmen. "Just for that I may have to come over and sit by you so you'll be in the line of fire." He teased.

Cecilia: Cecilia frowned as the jeep stopped. "Oh fuck...don't tell me we have to walk for the rest of the trip."

Maria: "<No, no. We're just stopping for lunch,>" Maria said, turning from where she was perched by the guide's seat speaking in rapid Spanish with him. "<It's a lovely spot. There's even a waterfall and rocks to sit on.>"

Fabian: A slightly worried look went across Fabian's face as he took to eyeing their surroundings in a new light. Sure, they were pretty but he wasn't sure he wanted to eat here. He decided to reserve judgment, though. Things weren't too jungley at this point anyway.

Maria: "<There are no monkeys native to the island, mi hijo,>" Maria said to Miguel as the group made their way down to a few rocks and began unpacking their lunch. "<The only ones here are escaped research monkeys in the south. Why did you think there were monkeys? You lived here until you were six.>"

Miguel: Miguel shrugged and rubbed his neck. "I guess I don't remember as much as I thought I did..."

Cecilia: "I guess that's good news for you, Fabi." Cecilia said, grabbing her sandwich and sitting down on a mossy stone. "Wouldn't want to get chased down by them like in Jumanji."

Fabian: "I can't say as I've actually watched that movie but now I'm just imagining a fleet of monkeys attacking the school next semester when I least expect it." He claimed his seat, looking around. "It is a pretty fantastic place."

Cecilia: Cecilia nodded, chewing thoughtfully on her sandwich. "It's kinda pretty, I guess..." she smiled as a butterfly with iridescent blue wings the size of her hands came to settle on a rock nearby. "Huh, guess we have a lunch guest."

Fabian: Fabian eyed the butterfly. They didn't move in ways Fabian found uncomfortably weird, at least, but it was still a reminder that things lurked in here that he wouldn't appreciate. He tucked his legs up under him just in case.

Cecilia: Cecilia laughed as the butterfly fluttered up and settled on her afro. "I guess it likes me. Hey, Fabian, can you take a picture?"

Maria: Maria smiled. "<It knows you're a borinqueña, mi hija. That's why it likes you.>"

Cecilia: ((Spanish: native daughter of the island))

Fabian: "Of course," Fabian dug for his camera, taking a few pictures before the butterfly would have a chance to make an escape.

Cecilia: Something was lurking alright. Just inches away from Fabian's right foot was a very large brown tarantula, annoyed that these intruders were disturbing its nest nearby. Sensing danger, the butterfly flew away.

Cecilia: Miguel caught sight of it first - his 'spider sense' acting up. "Aw hell - not this again!" He whined, getting up and moving to a rock a good distance away.

Cecilia: Cecilia stared at her brother, puzzled until she too caught sight of the spider. "...Fabian," she said, forcing her voice to remain even. "Why don't you come over here for a sec?"

Fabian: That trick wasn't going to work on him. Jacinta had tried it too many times for him not to know that there was something creeping around him so his eyes automatically went to the ground. Of course, Miguel's reaction was a pretty big hint as well.

Fabian: He looked at the tarantula for a moment with almost a look of disinterest, watching as it slowly picked it's way around. The next moment colour seemed to drain away from his face as he just stared.

Cecilia: Cecilia glanced at the tour guide, she couldn't use her shields here. She grabbed a long stick and in the manner of her idol - Steve Irwin - began trying to poke it away.

Vincente: Vincente stood up. "Alright nobody panic! Fabian just walk away slowly, it won't hurt you if you leave it - Cecilia what the hell are you doing?"

Fabian: "…Please don't piss it off." Fabian's voice was high and distant, not quite to his flight levels of fear but getting there.

Cecilia: It was a bit late for that though, with the first poke the spider reared back, displaying its fangs and spreading it's legs out to appear much larger before attacking the stick with no fear. "Ai!" Cecilia cried as the giant spider forced her back.

Miguel: Miguel clutched his afro. "Argh, Cee! You're making it worse! Just leave it alone!"

Fabian: And with that Fabian was gone booking it out of there as quickly as he could without flat out running.

Guide:"<Where are you going?>" The guide cried. "<Don't leave the group - there are feral dogs out here and poisonous snakes!>"

Cecilia: Cecilia dropped the stick and backed away from the now furious tarantula. "Shit..."

Fabian: Fabian did not stop for anything, finding the road with a surprising quickness.

Miguel: "Hey!" Miguel shouted. "Come back! Shit..." he muttered, getting up. "What the hell does he think he's doing? Is he planning on walking back?"

Cecilia: "Just stay where you are," Cecilia said, marching past her brother. "I'll get him, you guys stay here and finish your lunch, I'll be back in a minute." Before anyone could protest she broke into a jog to catch up with her boyfriend. "Fab! Wait up!"

Fabian: Walking back was his actual intention as he hadn't exactly thought things through but...then again...there were bugs to be had there which was why he was trying to get back into the van.

Cecilia: Cecilia climbed up onto the side of the muddy car. "Fabian, it's alright, the spider's all the way over there."

Fabian: "There are more of them - many, many more."

Cecilia: Cecilia put her hand on his shoulder. "Well...yes. There's almost no place on earth that doesn't have spiders. They're just a fact of life - like germs."

Fabian: He automatically flinched away at the touch, turning to face her as he definitely wasn't in the frame of mind conducive to carrying on a conversation without seeing her. "Jungle, Cee, middle of the jungle."

Cecilia: Cecilia looked slightly hurt at the flinch but didn't say anything. "Yeah, El Yunique jungle." She sighed. "We shouldn't have brought you here. There was no fucking way we wouldn't see a spider of some sort." Or scorpions, or giant wasps, or fire-ants. "You're gonna be fine, mi amor. I won't let it come near you again."

Fabian: Fabian gave her a bit of a look as he didn't really need her to tell him where he was right now. He just sighed, slumping against the van. "Just...was counting on staying inside during the tour."

Cecilia: Cecilia mirrored his position, standing beside him. "Well, you did fine for someone who's pretty terrified of spiders. You didn't start bawling or anything - it's not so bad."

Fabian: "I had to get used to Cinnamon." Fabian pointed out. "If it had been one of those giant millipedes or something like that I would have been gone."

Cecilia: "...Well, don't get too used to him. Mayday might think he's 'de-fanged' but that's total bullshit." She smiled and nudged him a little. "Is it the number of legs or how they move?"

Fabian: "There is no need for choice in that question."

Cecilia: Everything then, it seemed. "If you wanna come back and finish your lunch I'll sit next to you and watch your back while you eat...but if you wanna stay here I can just bring it to you."

Fabian: "I can go back." He answered quickly, not about to admit defeat so readily.

Cecilia: She nodded and offered her hand. Well, if he said he could she wasn't going to second guess him. "I knew you could."

Fabian: He took the hand, holding it tighter than he would normally but trying not to squeeze it to death.

Cecilia: Cecilia just gave his hand what she hoped was a reassuring squeeze back. "You'll be fine. You have me."

Miguel: Miguel looked up from his sandwich as they approached. "Mmph." He frowned then swallowed and tried again. "I saved your lunch," he said, pointing to the pail next to Maria. "Spider's gone back into his hiding hole."

Fabian: "Thanks." Fabian said as he reclaimed his lunch, keeping a wary and distrustful eye where the tarantula had been.

Cecilia: Cecilia sat down next to Fabian, keeping an eye out for any more unwelcome visitors.

Maria: Maria came over, settling on a rock nearby and patting Fabian's shoulder soothingly. "<It's just a spider, Fabian. You can hurt it more than it can ever hurt you.>"

Cecilia: "Don't count on it," Miguel said flatly, tapping his neck where he'd been bitten so many years ago. "It stings like a bitch when you're bitten."

Fabian: "I'm sorry, I just don't do bugs." Fabian shrugged, not sure what other kind of explanation to give.

Carmen: "Just bugs, man." Carmen said, shrugging. "They're everywhere. You can't avoid 'em forever."

Cecilia: "Alright, that's enough." Cecilia said, a little annoyed that everyone seemed to think this was an especially girly fear or something. "He's doesn't like them, he's fine now, can we all just eat our lunch and forget about this?"

Fabian: "I've noticed. Hell, one of our friends turned into a giant spider for a while. They'll come when you least expect it."

Miguel: "I've always wanted powers ever since Cecilia manifested," Miguel said, keeping his back to the tour guide and his voice down. "But I've sorta reconsidered it after I heard that."

Cecilia: "Bug mutations are fascinating," Cecilia mused. "Gross...but fascinating."

Fabian: Fabian eyed his lunch, now questioning whether or not it was actually a good idea.

Cecilia: Cecilia happily chowed down her meal, completely unfazed by any of this. She had an exceptionally strong stomach when it came to gross things.

Vincente: "Maybe snorkelling will be less traumatic," Vincente suggested. "There're manatees here and fish." He just hoped Fabian wasn't also afraid of fish.

Fabian: Fabian decided to simply save most of it for later, eating for the sake of appearance at the moment. "Lukas will be terribly upset he's missing manatees."

Cecilia: "I think you're thinking of mantarays, Fab." Cecilia pointed out. "Those are the ones that look like blankets. Manatees look like grey cows with a paddle on their ass."

Fabian: "No, I meant manatees, they're hilarious. If it wasn't completely frowned upon the two of us would consider riding them."

Cecilia: "I think it's illegal to put more than one hand on them," Cecilia noted. "But I'm sure we can get close."

Miguel: "We could spearfish too," Miguel said. "You can do that snorkelling. You just gotta watch for barracuda."

Cecilia: Cecilia shrugged. "I guess we could do that...so long as we don't stab the fish that mate for life though."

Fabian: "It is, I remember looking up the laws a while back...and are you sure you trust me with anything spear or harpoon related? I did harpoon a car once."

Cecilia: "When you were ten," Cecilia pointed out, polishing off her sandwich. "Hell, if everyone judged everyone else by what they did when they were ten then I...well, they wouldn't be completely wrong assuming I was the same 'cause I haven't changed much...but that's not the point!"

Cecilia: "I'd rather you harpoon a car or a boat than a person," Cecilia said. "Besides, why the hell did the von Strucker's have a harpoon that was so easily accessible? I think that incident speaks more to their negligence than your lack of aim."

Fabian: "...what do you mean lack of aim. Are you suggesting ten year old me didn't put it exactly where he wanted to?" Fabian just grinned wickedly, coming out of his mood. "You should know I've got pretty good aim as it is."

Cecilia: "Everyone misses the mark sometimes," Cecilia teased, happy that he seemed well enough to joke around now.

Fabian: Fabian puffed up a bit and gave her a fake huffy look. "That may be so."

Miguel: "Except for you, huh?" Miguel said, laughing. He'd learned by now that the other guy was pretty confident in his abilities.

Carmen: "100% accuracy is impossible," Carmen said. "Unless you're some sorta mutant...hmm...maybe I should ask the rookie in my department if he is. Kid's the best shot I've seen."

Fabian: "I wish that was my mutation. Can you imagine the levels of showing off I would do if that were the case?" Fabian laughed though he jokingly nodded to Miguel.

Cecilia: "He is really good though," Cecilia remarked to Carmen and Miguel. "That's not just him blowing his own horn. He's easily the best shot on the team - at least from what I've seen."

Miguel: "If you could trade your mutation for another one what would you pick?" Miguel asked.

Fabian: "Well, one of the best non-augmented anyway." Fabian admitted to that much. "Lets face it, pretty much everyone at the school is pretty talented." Fabian frowned, thinking over the question. "I think I'd have to change with Lukas or some of the telepaths."

Cecilia: "I'd rather glow in the dark than read minds," Cecilia said, making a face. "Listening to stupid people is bad enough but listening to their thoughts? That's my idea of hell. I still say teleportation's a really useful one...but my new favourite is magnetic manipulation."

Fabian: "See, I like the planting thoughts more than the reading thoughts. I suppose I watched Inception one too many times." Fabian shrugged. "It's the ultimate troll power. I could get any annoying song stuck in anyone's head I please."

Miguel: Miguel stared off into space dreamily. "I'd want to be indestructible and have super-strength."

Cecilia: "Well, I've already got you beat in the indestructible department Superman," Cecilia teased, smirking widely.

Fabian: Fabian decided he had best not argue the indestructible part. "Now I'm just imagining Miguel as a mutant. As long as you're not the insect summoner I'd be okay with it."

Miguel: "Miles had an insect mutation," Miguel pointed out. "If he had that kind of mutation isn't it likely I'd have something similar?"

Cecilia: "No, it's not, 'cause he's only a third cousin," Cecilia said, gesturing animatedly. "You'd be more likely to have a mutation that's nervous system based - like mine or Fabian's."

Fabian: "My sister's and mine don't have much in common, after all, there's really not much telling when it all comes down to it."

Cecilia: "Well, that might not be entirely true," Cecilia noted. "But psychic based powers are where things start getting really shaky scientifically...and I can't explain it all in just a few minutes...I need to write a paper or something."

Carmen: "...Jesus, kid. You gotta get out more," Carmen said teasingly.

Miguel: Miguel just blinked, dumbfounded. "Okay...some of that went right over my head," he admitted. "A simple 'no' would've sufficed."

Fabian: "In any case, you're not promised some sort of bug mutation so I don't have to give you any side-eye."

Cecilia: "At least it's in the jungle," Cecilia pointed out. "Wouldn't wanna have an infestation of cockroaches. You picked a good hotel, Fab." Though Cecilia was more than a little frustrated at the current room situation.

Fabian: "...don't talk about cockroaches. They make me think of the Beetles."

Cecilia: "Well stop thinking about that and start thinking about the Rolling Stones squishing them," Cecilia said helpfully, packing away the remains of her lunch as the guide gestured for them to get back in the truck.

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

When Grandmother's Attack

Cecilia: Cecilia eyed Fabian as the group walked along the street towards the old market her father and uncle had used to frequent when they were growing up on the island, unsure if holding hands would be too much PDA for her family. She glanced at her mother...probably. Hell, just looking at Fabian the wrong way at dinner might earn her some sort of birds and bees talk. She suppressed a sigh and resigned herself to sexual frustration.

Fabian: Fabian at least was having a good time looking around the old family area, stopping at a few stands and just taking everything in and messing around with the locals as he bought some snacks for the group. "So, how much has it changed?"

Vincente: "Not very much," Vincente laughed. "It's pretty much the same, all that's different is the stands and the faces...I can't believe it's been sixteen years since I've been here...time just slipped away from me."

Miguel: "I think it's smaller," Miguel said skeptically. "I remember covering a lot more ground."

Vincente: "You were smaller then," Vincente pointed out. "It's not smaller, if anything it's bigger."

Fabian: "Everything usually looks smaller when you're older." He agreed, munching on some of the fare and holding out some of it to the others.

Carmen: Carmen helped herself to some of the offered food. "I couldn't tell you if it's changed. I was born and raised in New Jersey. Nuyorican all the way, baby."

Vincente: "There's something interesting about this market though," Vincente said, motioning to Maria. "This is where my brother first met his wife."

Fabian: "Oh yeah?" Fabian looked to Maria. "Where abouts?"

Maria: Maria nodded. "<Over there somewhere,>" she said, gesturing vaguely, seemingly uninterested in this topic. "<I think I get some oranges.>" She said quickly, moving away from the group to talk to the vendor.

Cecilia: Cecilia looked up from where she was standing at a jewellery vendor studying an eye evil bracelet and frowned at her mother. "Oh for God's sake..."

Fabian: "What's wrong?" Fabian looked back to Cecilia as he heard her, completely missing the bracelet.

Miguel: "Mom doesn't really talk about Dad," Miguel said around a mouthful of food. "It was somewhere near the entrance, he was leaving and she was just arriving. Basically, she knocked him off his bike somehow and while she was helping him pick his stuff up they started talking."

Cecilia: "She didn't knock him off - he swerved to avoid her," Cecilia said. "They were married three months later but Dad broke some engagement he was already in before the week was over."

Fabian: "Her decision not to talk about him." Fabian wasn't overly bothered about it for his part, anyway. "Have to admit, that's impressively quick there."

Vincente: "Alba Vasquez was her name…Christ, I haven't thought about her in years," Vincente said. "Well, yeah it was. Alejandro knew what he wanted and Alba… wasn't it. She was...well, let's just say she was far more enthusiastic about my brother than he was about her."

Fabian: "Well, better for both of them in the long run I would imagine. Being unequal in something like that seems like a pretty bad idea overall."

Cecilia: "Abuela didn't think so," Cecilia said. "She threw him out for that."

Vincente: Vincente shook his head. "No, she didn't - not for that. Hell, she didn't even throw him out when she figured out who he was seeing (though she protested loudly). It was only when she found out he was getting married without their blessing and that your parents were having Miguel that they slammed the door in his face."

Fabian: "In any case it hardly matters anymore, yes?" He looked around to the others in the family to see if they were of the same mind.

Vincente: Everyone except for Carmen just stared back. "Maybe not to an outsider like yourself," Vincente said. "On the island though? Grudges last a long time and the whole thing was something of a scandal in our community. Nobody's forgotten anything here."

Cecilia: "Just be glad we're not calling on any family here," Cecilia said, frowning. "Even Mom's side weren't that fond of Dad… and his family..."

Vincente: "Let's not get into that," Vincente said quickly. "We're not gonna see my family so we're safe."

Fabian: "I more meant amongst ourselves here." Fabian pointed out with a bit of a smirk. "Other people can stay mad I'd imagine, their own choice on that." It was how he intended to live if things went badly, anyway.

Miguel: Miguel chuckled. "I think the attitude in our family is if they hate us then we hate them too. We're not as actively bitter but that doesn't mean we've forgotten anything."

Cecilia: Across the street from the market a church was emptying out and among the crowd there was an elderly hispanic couple watching the group intently - gesturing wildly and shouting amongst themselves.

Fabian: "Oh, never forget." Fabian laughed. "I know my family has never forgotten a slight in their existence but I think we take some kind of joy in it."

Vincente: "You'll fit in perfectly then!" Vincente laughed, clapping Fabian on the shoulder.

Maria: "<Does anyone want an orange?>" Maria asked, sliding back up to the group. "<They're perfect right...now.>" She said, the words dying on her lips as she caught sight of the elderly couple, who were now making their way over to them. <"Oh God.>"

Fabian: "Well, that's always good to hear. I'm not sure that can be said of many families."Now that was something he was never going to expect to hear from Maria. He looked over to where Maria seemed to be looking, seeing the people coming from the church. "Someone you know?"

Cecilia: Cecilia looked over. "Oh fuck," she said. "Yeah, that's-"

Isabella: Before Cecilia could finish her sentence though the elderly woman closed the gap between the two groups and began a wild assault with her prayer fan on Maria's head, cursing terribly in Spanish."<YOU WHORE! HOW DARE YOU SHOW YOUR FACE HERE!>"

Cecilia: "- my abuela, Isabella."

Fabian: It wasn't especially good to look like Christmas and his birthday had just come while Maria was getting hit with a prayer fan but Fabian was having a hard time not looking like that as he cleared his throat, speaking louder. "It would seem that someone missed some of the messages in that church of theirs."

Carmen: Carmen blinked. "Holy shit...that's your mom, babe?" She said to Vincente. "Daaamn, so glad we didn't invite her to the wedding."

Cecilia: "Get your hands off my mother!" Cecilia hollered, helping both Miguel and Vincente hold her back while Maria ran for cover behind a stand.

Isabella: "<That's right - run you filthy skank!>" Isabella cried before turning to Vincente. "<You should be ashamed of yourself, defending the Jezebel that seduced your brother away - I hope you die in a fire!>" She cried, hitting all three of the Reyes holding her with one swoop of her fan.

Fabian: Fabian glanced over to Carmen and gave her the biggest, broadest smirk he could give, silently asking if she were with him on what he was probably about to start.

Carmen: Carmen nodded and wandered over to the struggle, putting her hand firmly on the woman's shoulder. "Lady, I understand that you're upset but you need to take it down a notch."

Isabella: Isabella gave Carmen and Fabian a dirty look. "<Who the fuck are these people?>" She demanded to Vincente.

Fabian: "People with a little dignity when it comes to our interactions in public places. However, since it seems to be a local custom to forget such manners I suppose we'll do as the locals do."

Vincente: "My wife and my niece's boyfriend," Vincente said flatly, letting go of his mother as she calmed down a little.

Isabella: "<You got married and you didn't tell me?!>" Isabella scowled. "<Her neck is thick - she looks like a dyke. And that one...>" She stared at the white boy. "<All the white in the world won't get rid of the black in her - >" She said, pointing to Cecilia. "<She's a morena - just like her mother. I don't think either of them are Alejandro's. That black bitch lied to trap him into a marriage!>"

Fabian: "Why Carmen, I don't think your neck is thick at all. Of course, I didn't think I was trying to get any black out of anyone but maybe I'm just magic." Fabian gave the most insulting jazz-hands he could muster for the word. "And, while I obviously didn't know you when you and Vincente were married, I have to admit you did overlook this one at the wedding. Just imagine the entertainment!"

Carmen: "I know!" Carmen laughed. "We could've put her in a cage match against my old man. It'd been a riot." She turned to the old woman. "Lady, you take bat-shit to a whole new level - you're lucky I'm amused by you. Now piss off and leave us be."

Isabella: Isabella wasn't done yet though. "<You're sick,>" she said to Fabian, jabbing him hard in the chest. "<To have such an obsession with colour.>"

Fabian: "Is obsessed the right word?" Fabian looked to the others as if he were actually asking them. "I mean, I can't say as that's any of my particular reasoning for being with someone so I'd think you're taking a much greater notice of it than I am."

Fabian: "But I suppose the elderly just are set in their ways with all sorts of backwards thinking. You realize Jesus wasn't white, right? Just want to make sure we're clear on that considering where you just came out of."

Isabella: The old woman went red with fury from this. "<Don't you dare disrespect the lord, you amante de los negros!>"

Cecilia: "What the fuck did you just say?" Cecilia said dangerously. "I think you should repeat yourself 'cause I know you did not just call my boyfriend a racial slur."

Fabian: "…Oh my God, I never thought this day would come!" Fabian clapped his hands and fake wept, wiping an eye. "I thought I was too white for it but no, my day has come. Cee, you've more experience in this, who do I thank? Thanking my parents doesn't seem accurate."

Isabella: "<Shut up! Your brother is a bastard and you're an even bigger whore than your whore mother!>" Isabella barked to Cecilia. "<You should've died at birth and been thrown in a garbage scow!>" She turned to Fabian. "<You'll burn in hell for your sins! I hope you suffer for eternity!>"

Fabian: Fabian's face turned dark. "Shall I look you up while I'm down there…may I ask your address, Isabella?"

Miguel: Miguel looked confused. "I was conceived outside a marriage not born outside of one - how the hell does that make me a bastard?"

Cecilia: If looks could kill Isabella would be dead a thousand times over from the glare Cecilia was giving her. "If you weren't an old lady, I'd pound you into the fucking ground," Cecilia said, her voice raw. "But since I can't cave your face in I'll just have to be satisfied with this: Fuck you. Fuck you and fuck your mother!"

Cecilia: "It's no wonder why my father hated you so much! You're an emotional fucking cripple, senselessly cruel and intolerant of everything that isn't exactly like you. You may be right, I might be garbage but I'm a fucking diamond compared to you. So, while I'd love to stand around and listen to you insult my family all day, I got better things to do. Sayonara!"

Isabella: If Cecilia thought she was going to walk away from this though she could think again. Almost as soon as she'd finished Isabella reached out and belted her granddaughter across the face.

Fabian: Fabian, meanwhile, had been fiddling with his phone all through that, stopping the recording and dialling the cops. "Back here, Astaroth, back here." He passed his phone to Carmen. "If you're going to be flinging bastard and slaps around you may as well stick with talking to the one person here who actually fits the description."

Isabella: If this blanquito was volunteering Isabella saw no reason to disappoint him...after she'd dealt with this little bitch. <"I'll deal with you when I''m finished with this whore.>" She yanked Cecilia's hair hard, actually snapping off a curl. "<That's for cursing me out you little bitch!>"

Cecilia: Cecilia screamed loudly, hands flying to her head. "Oh my God! Are you fucking insane!?"

Fabian: Fabian decided to simply step between the two of them. "The Cortez family does not wait for an audience with people such as yourself. When we wish to address you we simply do so. Your daughter-in-law? She has my phone. It's calling the police right now and they will not only be treated to samples of your little scene and assault but will also be hearing numerous complaints from myself and suggestions that a court sees to you receiving psychiatric help and perhaps a guardian as you are clearly insane and a menace to society."

Fabian: "If Carmen agrees not to hold it against me bribing a cop I may also see to it that you're held in the general holding cell along with all the local drunks and petty criminals so you can spend a night pissing in a toilet in a room full of people. Once I get the information on where you live from your son I'll also look into buying the house next door and opening a hostel for drunk tourists to throw up on your lawn."

Isabella: Isabella just laughed. "<Who the hell do you think you are gringo?>" She said, advancing on him and shoving him back. "<If you're oh so powerful and oh so rich why don't you use the money to fix your face? You're bug-eyed, pig-nosed and chubby! Your threats lose their venom when you look like you do!>"

Fabian: "Because making you miserable is so much more fun. Plus, I'm all ready considerably handsome, anymore would just be sort of grotesque. And who on earth would call these threats? I'm just informing you of my intentions. We're beyond threats at this point."

Vincente: "Mother," Vincente said through gritted teeth. "You're only making this harder on yourself. Now just - "

Isabella: Isabella lashed out and slapped Fabian across the face. "<Fuck you, you bastard! I spit on your name!>" She said, spitting at the red haired devil's feet. "<I curse your children!>"

Fabian: "Oh-ho." Fabian rubbed his hands together. "What are you going to do? Give me the evil-eye? The only people you can actually manage to curse are the people who have to put up with your existence on a day-to-day basis. Hold me, Miguel, I may swoon from her powerful curse which also seems highly ridiculous in conjunction to her holier-than-thou Jesus routine."

Isabella: The assault on Fabian's head from Isabella's purse was timed just as the cops pulled up to witness it.

Cecilia: Cecilia grabbed her grandmother and turned her around. "Then I curse YOU! I curse you and everyone that believes in all of your bullshit!" She released the old crone and let the cops take her. "Have fun rotting in jail!"

Yunior: Isabella screamed and cursed and managed to push several cops on their ass before they finally got her into the car at which time her husband had made it to the small group. He stood there, silent for awhile. "<You'll pay for that,>" he said to Cecilia and Fabian. "<You don't disrespect my wife and get away with it.>"

Fabian: "I intend to pay for it." Fabian just smiled and went right on ahead to bribe said cops for maybe a little extra more time.

Carmen: The cops gladly took the money while Carmen suddenly became very interested in her nails.

Miguel: Miguel's eyes widened. "Holy shit, man. Did you actually just throw a couple hundred down the drain just to piss her off?"

Fabian: "I may have talked one into making sure something in her food had laxatives." Fabian admitted as he came back to the group, then looked to Carmen. "Shall we pretend I didn't say that in front of you?"

Carmen: Carmen just stared blankly. "Say what in front of me? I wasn't listening to a word you just said, man."

Cecilia: "Fuck her," Cecilia said, wiping her eyes a bit desperately and sniffing. "It's worth every penny to me to piss her off." She eyed her grandfather scowling at her. "What the fuck are you staring at old man? Get outta my face!"

Yunior: The old man grumped and grumbled as he gave the group one last glare before hobbling on home on his gout ridden feet. This wasn't the first time his wife had been arrested.

Fabian: "So, I don't really have any intentions on buying up a lot next to hers because I'm sure she'd just drive people away but where is it so I can stand in a yard and look like I'm thinking about it?" Fabian stopped for a moment, thinking about what had just transpired. "…Oh lord, I just went full asshole in front of you all."

Miguel: "Maybe five blocks from here?" Miguel said gleefully. "Me and Cee could take you there, show you the corner where Abuela hit me in the head with an orange and the porch where Abuelo called Cecilia a limb of Satan. Good times, man!"

Carmen: Carmen just laughed. "Full asshole, huh? I like it - I wanna see more of asshole you."

Cecilia: Cecilia sniffed. "Even at your worst you're nowhere near as ugly a person as she is, I wouldn't worry about it. You showed her who was boss in ways we couldn't have...and we should put a 'for sale' sign on her front lawn. Make her think you bought the place out from under her." She was more than a little hurt by this woman and wanted to see her suffer.

Fabian: "…Can I rent a bulldozer? Is that something people do?" Fabian glanced to Vincente and Maria, though, more worried about their opinion.

Vincente: Vincente shrugged, looking monumentally unhappy. "You do whatever you want. She's no family to me, I made my choice years ago." He smiled as Carmen came over and squeezed his hand a little. "Now you see why I didn't invite her to the wedding."

Maria: Maria peered around from a nearby stand, looking exceptionally pale. "<...Is she gone?>" She didn't seem to have an opinion on any of this.

Fabian: Fabian would put the possibility of a bulldozer as a maybe. "Yes, they've both taken off. He doesn't say much, does he?"

Vincente: "No, he doesn't." Vincente said. "It's probably best though. Most of what he says isn't especially nice. He's not as hellfire and brimstone as my mother but he's cutting...I think he's gone a bit senile since I last saw him."

Carmen: Carmen raised an eyebrow. "Didn't he used to call your brother maricón all the time?"

Vincente: Vincente nodded. "He called him that so much Alejandro actually asked him once if that was his real name."

Fabian: Fabian decided overall he didn't sound as much fun as Isabella had been for this afternoon's entertainment. "Anyway, now that little scene is over, where should we be off to?"

Maria: Maria hesitated for a moment. "<Maybe not today...but some other day. Cecilia said you wanted to see La Perla? If you still want that we'll take you.>" She offered, trying to thank Fabian in some way, though she had no idea why he'd be so interested in seeing a slum.

Fabian: Fabian was back to less vengeful smiles after that. "Sounds perfect, now I'd say we could probably all use a break from touring around, yes?"

Cecilia: Cecilia nodded. "Yeah...let's grab some lunch or something," she said, leading the way towards the street.

Maria: Maria hung back as the group drifted off and took Fabian's arm, pulling him back a little. "<Thank you... you're a brave boy,>" she said to him. "<If my husband were here he would've liked you. He was also brave like you.>"

Fabian: Surprised, Fabian actually didn't know how to take that for a moment. "Thank you, that means a lot."

Cecilia: She smiled slightly and gave him a small side hug. "<You're my family, it costs me nothing to make you happy.>"

Fabian: He gladly took the hug and returned it. "Well, consider the same from me."
Last edited by PanicSwitch on Thu May 16, 2013 2:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

-Astonishing X-Men #7
Chaos
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Mr. President
Nightscrawlearth Character: :venom :spidey etc.

Post by Chaos »

Cecilia: "It's no wonder why my father hated you so much! You're an emotional fucking cripple, senselessly cruel and intolerant of everything that isn't exactly like you. You may be right, I might be garbage but I'm a fucking diamond compared to you. So, while I'd love to stand around and listen to you insult my family all day, I got better things to do. Sayonara!"

D-D-D-DAYUM
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

Slumdogs

Maria: Maria led the way down the steps by San Juan's old city wall down into a tiny district filled with brightly coloured concrete houses with tin roofs shining brightly in the afternoon sun. "<It hasn't changed at all,>" she said, smiling. "<I think even our old house is still standing.>"

Cecilia: Cecilia looked at Fabian. "Stay close," she said, giving him a small smile. "You'll stand out a lot here - even more than the hood in New Jersey."

Fabian: "I stand out everywhere." Fabian reminded Cecilia with a cheeky grin. "Have you ever known me to not stand out somewhere? Because if so, you should tell me and I should make a point of it to rectify the situation."

Cecilia: Cecilia glanced at her family to make sure nobody was watching before giving his hand a small squeeze. "No, you the spotlight's on you wherever you go," she chuckled quietly. It was true, he had a certain presence. "Not that you're complaining."

Cecilia: She couldn't really identify the things she felt walking these streets again. The ancient wall that surrounded San Juan to her right, the ocean to her left, a brightly coloured mural in front and the cemetery behind her, the people in ragged clothes with feral eyes and hungry faces...nothing had changed.

Maria: "<This place was once a site for slaughterhouses,>" Maria said, turning around and gesturing to Fabian. "<The law required these places, as well as the homes of former slaves and cemeteries to be established away from the main community, in this case, outside the city walls.>"

Fabian: "Of course I'm not complaining. Who in their right mind would?" Fabian joked. He knew when to not pull attention to himself, however, but he wouldn't ever complain about a spotlight or two. "It seems that's how it usually is, put all the things you don't want to live by on out and then it's very own city emerges."

Vincente: "That's how it usually is," Vincente said, smiling widely. "Now imagine two lower-middle class latino guys choosing this over San Juan." He laughed. "Everyone must've thought Alejandro and I were crazy."

Maria: "<My brothers did,>" Maria remarked, giving a group of stray dogs a wide berth. "<They never really trusted either of you.>"

Fabian: Fabian didn't really see much in the way of insanity in it but he knew he was a bit off in comparison to the norm on topics like this. "I would imagine that was an interesting meeting there."

Vincente: "I didn't meet Maria's brothers until shortly before Miguel was born, that's when I left home and moved here," Vincente explained to Fabian, voice low. "Alejandro knew them from when he was sneaking out here to see Maria, they didn't talk to him till they were married, just stood there watching him, sometimes they'd follow him and Maria when they walked on the beach. My brother used to call them his shadows."

Fabian: Fabian smirked to himself as he imagined how that first night of sneaking down here probably went. The disaster in his mind was amusing and the addition of the two looming shadows added a certain something to it. "So do you still have family in this part of town, Maria?"

Maria: She nodded. "<My brother Javier and his family are still here.>"

Cecilia: "The other brother- my tio Enrique - is dead," Cecilia muttered to Fabian. "He stepped out in front of a bus in downtown San Juan when I was around two years old. Took them almost five blocks before they realized something was wrong. Just so you know..."

Fabian: Fabian had to admit on some level he expected this as there was always going to be something along those lines any time Cee's family was involved so that was taken in stride. "I hope an incidental running into him would go considerably better than the other side."

Vincente: "Javier would be happy to see Maria and her kids," Vincente said. "He never entirely trusted me though. I doubt he'd know what to make of you or Carmen but he wouldn't be hostile."

Cecilia: Cecilia eyed the houses, they were getting more and more familiar as they continued. "This is our street," she said to Fabian. She pointed to a yellow concrete house. "There, that's our house!" She ran ahead, unable to wait.

Fabian: "I've never met anyone who has known what to make of me." Fabian assured Vincente. "Which I've always found strange because I don't really hide that much." Mind, he hid plenty from Cecilia's family but that was beside the point. He had to laugh some as Cecilia charged ahead.

Vincente: "Maybe you're a complicated person," Vincente said. "People didn't really know what to make of my brother either but I never thought he was hard to understand. He just cared about something or he didn't - there was no ulterior motive."

Cecilia: Cecilia smiled brightly. "The hibiscus tree is still here!" Indeed it was and it was in bloom, the red flowers waving gently in the wind.

Miguel: Miguel wandered up and knocked on the door. "Lessee if anyone's home, maybe they'll let us see the place for a minute."

Fabian: "I certainly don't see myself as complicated; I'm plenty straightforward." Fabian shrugged, there would be no understanding some people though but they probably saw themselves as perfectly reasonable as well.He stopped by Cecilia as he caught up. "Glad we came down now?"

Cecilia: "I never intended on staying away," she said honestly, reaching up and taking one of the flowers, placing it behind her ear. "This tree was smaller when I last saw it. I used to wake up in the morning and see the flowers through the window. They're my favourite."

Fabian: "I think your family was a bit confused by the side-trip though." He explained, looking the place over. "I think I'll have to admit it's even more colourful than I thought it would be, even just from the view at Morro."

Cecilia: "You make the best with what you got," Cecilia said, crossing her arms as Miguel sweet-talked a young couple with a baby not much older than Cecilia and Fabian into letting them look at the house. "Just 'cause you live in a slum doesn't mean it can't be pretty."

Fabian: "You realize you don't have to remind me about such things, yes?" He asked with a bit of a smirk, glancing at the rest of the family settling in to have a glance around the place.

Cecilia: "I'm not reminding you so much as I'm reminding myself," Cecilia admitted. "I'm sorry if repeat myself though." She jerked her head towards the house. "Come on - let's see my old home."

Fabian: Fabian just nodded and followed Cecilia on, smiling the whole way.

Miguel: Miguel stood in the middle of the small house, his hair illuminated by the one bare lightbulb hanging from a wire in the ceiling. "Same place, just different stuff." He laughed, motioning to the deck chairs, the grungy mattress and a hot plate.

Cecilia: Cecilia smiled to the couple, thanking them quietly in Spanish before stepping inside. "So...this is where my brother and I were born...." she said, not sure what else to say about the place to Fabian.

Maria: Maria leaned in the doorway, an indecipherable expression on her face, taking in the room.

Fabian: Fabian didn't really need anything said, just taking a look around the place and thanking the owners. "Are you doing all right?"

Maria: Maria shrugged. "<I'm just wondering if we ever should've left here.>"

Carmen: "I'm glad you left," Carmen piped up, leaning against a wall and crossing her arms. "No offence, but this place isn't exactly a great place to raise a family. Besides, if you'd never left I'd never have met any of you. Would suck to be me then but it'd suck to be you guys even more," she teased.

Fabian: "Things might not be perfect...but at least you wouldn't have had to put your mother-in-law in jail at least once a week."

Vincente: "No shit," Vincente said, raising his eyebrows. "Actually, she's the main reason we left. We were all afraid she might take things a step further than just shunning us. Don't tell me you've forgotten how Isabella threatened to burn you alive?" He asked Maria. "I'm sure you do."

Miguel: "She didn't say she'd burn just Mom alive," Miguel remarked, studying the backyard through the window. "She was after all of us - she just had a special kind of hatred when it came to anyone too moreno for her."

Fabian: "In any case, I imagine it can be agreed that it was the better choice." Fabian asserted, taking a final look around the place.

Cecilia: "You can't go back," Cecilia said, thinking of the last semester. "All you can do is go forward and hope things work out for you." She look a long look around before straightening up suddenly, her posture ramrod straight. "We should go if we wanna make it to Javier's before dusk."

-Astonishing X-Men #7
PanicSwitch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by PanicSwitch »

Just Keep Swimming

Cecilia: Cecilia gazed out at the turquoise ocean from her spot on her tio Javier's rowing boat, letting her paddle go slack for a moment as she took everything in. Had it really been sixteen years since she'd last been out on the ocean like this? It seemed both a lot more and a lot less time all at once.

Miguel: "Hey! Don't slack off and leave me to paddle by myself!" Miguel protested, poking his sister's arm. "Keep going!"

Fabian: "Are we in a hurry?" Fabian teased Miguel from his spot at the front of the little boat. "Anyway, I think she's been taken by nostalgia, let her be and just enjoy." He reached in, flicking some of the ocean water back at both of them.

Cecilia: "I have not," Cecilia said churlishly, a little annoyed she was so transparent. "I'm just enjoying the scenery. It's a nice day - so sue me!"

Miguel: Miguel saw his opportunity and went for it. "Aw, you're having a Hallmark moment, sis! That's so adorable! It's moments like these you cherish for the rest of your life!" He cackled.

Cecilia: Cecilia scowled. "How 'bout I hold your head underwater for awhile?"

Fabian: "I wasn't making fun of it. I've accepted the fact you're sappier than me and I let you relish it so you save that tone for your brother, young lady." Fabian tsked at her, adjusting his sunglasses to look at both of them and laugh. "Do I have to turn this boat around?"

Cecilia: "I was talking to both of you," Cecilia said, but something else caught her attention. "Young lady ?" She snorted. "Fabian, I'm older than you!"

Miguel: Miguel snorted. "Cee, you cougar!"

Fabian: "Yeah, you did that one to yourself. And like I said, you keep that tone just to him." He teased her again and another bit of ocean water found itself splashed up. "Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves, eh? Good choice coming down here."

Carmen:"Alright all of you shut up before I come up there and push you all overboard," Carmen joked, picking her way to the front. "Yeah, it's been educational to say the least."

Vincente: "The things they don't tell you in Lonely Planet," Vincente said, grinning at the group in the front of the boat.

Fabian: "Are you trying to crowd me out of my spot?" Fabian jokingly asked Carmen, sliding over to allow her a spot. "That goes for most any place, have to go there to know it."

Carmen: "Honey, I'm flattered, but my ass isn't nearly that big," Carmen said, raising an eyebrow at the space Fabian left before plunking down beside him. "Well, you're also with locals and a trained police officer. Anyone who goes in there without one or the other is bound to get jumped I'm guessing."

Vincente: "Alejandro didn't," Vincente remarked. " I mean before he became a resident. I don't know if it was sheer dumb luck or paranoia or he just looked like someone you didn't fuck with but nobody jumped him and he went down there a lot."

Fabian: "Sometimes if you just act like you belong it changes all sorts of things." Fabian shrugged. "I figure every day someone's not at least slapped me is a day that should be considered a miracle."

Cecilia: "You don't get slapped that often," Cecilia said, raising an eyebrow. "I like to think people are less inclined to now that I'm around." They'd be right too, like hell some other bitch was going to get away with slapping her boyfriend.

Maria: Maria eyed Fabian. "<What're you doing to get slapped?>"

Fabian: "Yes, but how often do I deserve it?" Fabian pointed out laughing. "Oh, the shit I've done to people." He tried to look innocent to Maria. "I've a smart mouth a lot of times."

Cecilia: "Not as often as other people deserve to be told what they were told," Cecilia said flatly.

Javier: Javier stopped the boat and motioned to the water. "Here is a good spot. Plenty of fish," he said in a heavy accent. "There is a sandbank over there," he gestured. "Just be careful of Barracuda, don't bring anything shiny into the water." He directed this piece of advice to the white boy. The others didn't need to told this.

Fabian: "No worries, I'm good at not being eaten." Fabian assured Javier. "And I like to think I go above and beyond my duty."

Cecilia: Cecilia made a face at the mention of being eaten and unbidden to her mind came the images of victims of the Galactus cult. She grabbed the bag filled with snorkel equipment form the hotel. "<We'll be careful tio,>" she said to Javier, snapping on the goggles.

Fabian: "We always are." Fabian gave him a bit of a salute as he got ready as well and went on into the water.

Javier: Javier just stared flatly. He didn't like this one much - he'd seen too many tourists looking for some island fun. He just hoped his sister was keeping a close eye on her daughter.

Cecilia: Cecilia decided to forgo the silly looking flippers. "Are you sure you don't wanna come?" She said to her mother. When she got a head shake she wasn't surprised, her mother had never liked open water, but it never hurt to ask in her mind. "Suit yourself," she said, stepping off the boat and plunging into the water.

Fabian: "You know." Fabian observed half to himself as he headed on out. "It's hard to not look like an idiot in goggles."

Miguel: "Y'know, it's hard not to be sore when you stick your bare eyeballs in salt water," Miguel laughed as he swam by. "Lesser evil, man, lesser evil."

Cecilia: Cecilia squished seawater at Fabian from her hands. "Well, I could go without them, but you guys can't."

Fabian: "I think somehow that would really weird out your uncle." Fabian pointed out. "And are you saying you wouldn't make shield goggles for me? I'm disappointed."

Vincente: "Which uncle?" Vincente grinned, attempting to float on his back and failing miserably. "She's got more than one. Yeah...don't do anything around Javier. I don't know how he'll react to that."

Fabian: "I figured you knew well enough." Fabian teased. "And we'd best leave him with the impression that I'm the most questionable person here." Hey, it was true even!

Cecilia: "I don't think I can make goggles," Cecilia said. "That sounds a bit complex...I can make bubbles over people's heads though, like in those Harry Potter movies, I can also make straws that lead to the surface as I've discovered recently." All those late night visits to the pool were paying off. "Yeah...I don't think Javier knows what to do with you."

Vincente: "He's just wary," Vincente said. "He has some right to be. Lotta people come here and take advantage of islanders. Maybe not here so much as other places in the Antilles but it still happens."

Fabian: "Oh yes, you're one to be taken advantage of Cee." Fabian laughed as he tried to come up with a way to be taking advantage of her. "I'm using you to learn how to cook...and I still blew up the stove so get to it!"

Cecilia: Cecilia gave him a cat-like smile. She could be taken advantage of - there were just very few people who had the power to do it - but if Fabian thought she was incorruptible she wasn't going to disillusion him. "You're hopeless," she teased. "You're just lucky you have enough money to keep eating out. Wish I did."

Miguel: Miguel scratched his head. "Seriously, man - you can't cook? Well there goes my plan of spearing some fish here and getting you to roast 'em."

Fabian: "Hopeless? I'm inspiration to the masses!" Fabian tried to be convincing. "And no, well, I can do some passable food but it's still pretty questionable. I don't think we want me to roast the fish if everyone wants to finish our vacation on a good note."

Carmen: "Yeah, don't need another barf 'o rama," Carmen laughed. "Cee tells us she was sick from drinking the street water...Jesus, kid, that's what? The third or fourth time that's happened? You throw up a lot."

Cecilia: "I don't-" Cecilia began, but then she thought about it. "Okay, I do. But it really doesn't help when people dump a shit-load of milk in the stuff they make and forget to tell me about it." She toyed with a piece of seaweed. "It's not my fault! Everybody's gotta thing. Mine's throwing up. Other people got...I dunno, rashes or something."

Fabian: "You really should have seen it all in action. She was so very cranky that day; it's a wonder we both lived to tell the tale." Fabian was all smiles about it now, though.

Vincente: "That's how you know she's getting better," Vincente laughed, leading the pack towards the sand bar. "When she's feeling better she acts like a wounded tiger but when she's really sick she just lies there and doesn't move."

Miguel: "I've seen stuff like it before. She threw up on me when I was in high school," Miguel said, snorting. "Just so you know, if she ever says 'I don't feel so great' - run for cover."

Fabian: "No worries, I know how to ninja away from such things." Fabian chuckled. "Usually I'm the puker in that kind of a situation but that's not happened in a long time."

Cecilia: "Yeah, yeah. Everybody tell Fabian all of Cecilia's embarrassing stories. Ha, ha, ha." Cecilia deadpanned as she climbed up the sand bar. "You guys are such a riot. Just remember though, I have as many stories about you as you got about me. I'm a dangerous person."

Miguel: "But who will embarrass you if we don't?" Miguel chuckled, surveying the sea. "Damn, this must be what Jesus felt like." It did look like they were all walking in the middle of the ocean.

Carmen: "If Maria hears you say that…" Carmen warned. "Ah, who cares? She's way the hell over there."

Fabian: "Will it make you feel better I can always tell embarrassing stories about myself? Like how Rachel and I were after Mayday's birthday now that we're talking about Jesus."

Cecilia: "No, it won't make me feel better 'cause my story's a shit-load more embarrassing," Cecilia said, crossing her arms. Poor Sean...and poor her for that matter! "I hope to Christ your next roommate has a different hair colour."

Fabian: "I wasn't going to tell that! And anyway, you can go to a fast-food place near the school and people will still open the drive-through window for you. The waiters at sonic avoid my eyes and I was their possible saviour!"

Miguel: "How the hell is your pasty ass our saviour?" Miguel said, sniggering as he sat down on the sand bar, the water settling up to his chest. "Jesus wasn't white, you said so yourself. Where'd you get the idea that you're messiah material?"

Fabian: "It was a long, long night and it made little sense at the time either. To my credit I was not the one that tried to call the cops because there wasn't such a thing as a margarita McFlurry, that was Rachel."

Cecilia: "If I had a nickel for every-time someone threatened to call the cops 'cause we were outta chicken McNuggets…" Cecilia said, sloshing down onto the sand bar. "Guys like you were my hell when I worked in fast food," she half-teased. "That and people that aired all their martial problems in the line-up and the idiots that wanted to 'talk to the manager.' Bitch, I am the fucking manager!"

Fabian: "Did anyone ever claim that their middle name made them kind of Jesus and try to climb through the window to touch your hair?"

Cecilia: "Not exactly," Cecilia admitted, smirking. "I had a couple drunk guys hit on me though and one of 'em said I needed to pull off my hairnet and 'let my 'fro fly free.' God, you're weird."

Carmen: "What is your middle name anyways?" Carmen asked, curious.

Fabian: "Manuel." Fabian snorted. "I was stretching, it was worth it."

Carmen: Carmen studied him for a long moment, like she was trying to remember something, but shrugged and gazed out at the horizon a second later. If she couldn't remember it probably wasn't that important.

Miguel: "Manuel, huh?" Miguel said, looking thoughtful. Now there was a name he liked. He filed that away for later.

Cecilia: "Well, you are sorta Jesus-like with your healing powers," Cecilia joked as a brightly coloured fish darted past her. "But I think Cassandra and Shaw have you beat with the resurrection."

Fabian: He didn't really know what to do with Carmen's look so he was glad as Cecilia went on. "I can't heal myself anyway and considering how my healing always turns out I think it's best I don't try any miracles."

Vincente: "So I guess you won't be curing any lepers anytime soon then," Vincente laughed.

Cecilia: Cecilia shuddered a little. "Or raise the dead...that sounds so much better in theory than it actually works out to be." It seemed a lot of powers they came across were somewhat biblical. "I wish there were more cults that worshipped us instead the alternative."

Fabian: "Everything I heal comes back basically twice as worse...so only if that leper is a real asshole. I don't think I can manage to make anyone more dead though but, then again, I don't see me doing anything with dead people anyway. I'll leave that to Melody."

Vincente: "You guys only have a few weeks left," Vincente said. He eyed Cecilia to see her reaction. "Looking forward to going back?"

Fabian: "Yes, actually. Hopefully things in the city have calmed down more or less. Day to day life up there isn't so bad. Plus, now we'll both get to be the ones that make the new kids nervous."

Cecilia: Cecilia thought awhile. "Yeah," she said, surprising herself a little. "I'll be happy to get back and see everybody again...place kinda grows on you." It'd be difficult being back and having all those reminders, but New York was home. "Don't get too high on yourself, Fab. We're only sophomores."

Fabian: "I don't care about the level or whatever. I just want to troll people and tell them that Danger lives in the toilets or something."

Cecilia: Cecilia laughed. "Well, I can get on board with that." The freshmen needed to know their place after all.

-Astonishing X-Men #7