"Where to start" Comics for a Nightcrawler fan?

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
ShinjiteFlorana
Lubber
Lubber

"Where to start" Comics for a Nightcrawler fan?

Post by ShinjiteFlorana »

So yeah, as the title says, I've grown up with the cartoons, seen the movie adaptations (ah-hem), read MULTIPLE wikis, and even poked around internet for random comic pages here and there, but this is my first time saying; Yes. Marvel. Comics. OTHER than Deadpool, gunna read em'! But jumping into the Marvel universe as a virtual comic virgin is...intimidating to say the least.

I've noticed this community doesn't seem to be very active lately, but I'm convinced I can find no truer bluer Kurt Wagner fans than here. So, where should I jump in?

I've heard that the old school Excalibur comics were pretty definitive of Nightcrawler, and have started them, but starting off with Kitty [spoilers] mourning the loss of the X-Men as DEAD [/spoiler] I couldn't help but feel like I was missing out on some important stuff.

So yeah. Nightcrawler recs for a comic book virgin? (and should I continue with Excalibur after Vol 1?)
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Re: "Where to start" Comics for a Nightcrawler fan?

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So, as a Nightcrawler fan, Excalibur is a great place to start. With a few exceptions, the last 50 issue are not very Nightcrawler- centric despite him being the team leader. Issue 16 is a great Nightcrawler spotlight, but really anything with Claremont or Davis on the creative team is good stuff... I also recommend anything by Dave Cockrum as he created the character and admits that Kurt was his favorite X-men member. You're pretty safe with any Uncanny X-Men issue prior to #160 or so, including X-Men Annual #4 which doesn't have a lot of Nightcrawler action, but provides great insight to his history. Lastly, Nightcrawler had 4 different solo series, two of which were minis. The second volume isn't great, but definitely check out the other three. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

P.S. I think its safe to say you don't need to call spoilers on comics from the eighties, but good looking out, nonetheless :)
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!