Barnell--May Challenge Entry

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Erg, creative title that, eh? I was going to call it "Ear Wax in the Fog," but then I realized the story had nothing to do with either, so I settled for "Barnell." :shrug Anyway, on to the standard Disclaimer: I do not own the X-Men. Please don’t sue me or steal my story.

NOTE: (1) through (4) are references to/quotes from the three part High Evolutionary story arc, in particular Uncanny X-Men #380: Heaven’s Shadow by Alan Davis (plot) and Terry Kavanagh (script).

Barnell
By Rowena

It was the first warm day of spring. Kurt Wagner was taking a stroll through the mansion’s grounds when he spotted a stranger lounging on the grass. Curious, Kurt changed direction and walked over to him.

“Good afternoon!” he smiled. “I don’t believe I’ve seen you here before. My name is Kur—“

“Kurt Wagner,” the man interrupted, jumping to his feet with a broad, amused grin. “Yeah, we’ve met.”

Kurt furrowed his brow, confused. “We have?”

”You bet.” The man chuckled. “I’m Barnell Bohusk! Though you might know me better as Beak.”

Kurt started. “Beak?” he blinked, unable to keep his jaw from falling as he stared at the man before him. From his hair to his shoes, he looked completely average—nothing at all like the awkward, feathered mutant he had seen around the mansion. Kurt shook his head in flabbergasted amazement. “Mein Gott…”

“It is pretty incredible, isn’t it,” Barnell grinned happily. “It’s the greatest thing that’s ever happened to us—that is, to me and my wife, Angel.”

“Incredible is hardly the word,” Kurt said, still working through his astonishment. “How did this happen? Don’t tell me it was—”

“M-Day?” Barnell interrupted, too eager to explain to wait for Kurt to finish his thought. “It sure was! When reality snapped back from wherever it’d gone, Angel and I found we’d lost our mutant powers! I mean, look at me!” he said, spreading out his arms and turning full circle. “Isn’t it great? No more molting on the furniture, no more clicking beak! For the first time since I was a little kid, I can actually sink my teeth into a hamburger, not to mention being able to kiss my wife and kids. It’s fantastic!”

Kurt nodded thoughtfully, unable to suppress a small smile at Barnell’s excitement. “Well, I’m happy for you, mein Freund,” he said, shaking the man’s hand.

“Yeah, thanks,” Barnell beamed. “But it is kind of a weird coincidence, don’t you think? That we’d lose our mutations just before that movie came out in theaters—the one about a ‘mutant cure’?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” Kurt shrugged. “People have been trying to find a so-called ‘cure’ since before the discovery of the X-Gene. It’s hardly a new idea.”

Barnell shot him a curious look. “Say, Kurt,” he said, “where would you stand?”

“How do you mean?”

”You know, like in the movie. If they really did find a cure for mutancy, would you take it?”

“Nein.” Kurt answered firmly and without hesitation. “I am content as I am.”

“But think about it for a minute—” Barnell pressed.

“I don’t have to,” Kurt said. “I lost my mutancy once, six years ago. It was the most miserable time of my life.”

“No way!” Barnell exclaimed. “I didn’t know that!”

“Ja, well,” Kurt shrugged. “It all started back in April of 2000. Herbert Edgar Wyndham, a brilliant geneticist who called himself the High Evolutionary, proclaimed that mutantkind represented ‘an unacceptable threat’ to ‘the genetic potential of the world and its people’ and that, as a consequence, we all had to be eliminated. Working together with Nathaniel Essex, better known as Sinister, he ‘de-evolved’ us into normal humans. Wyndham thought he was doing good, but in the end he realized he’d been duped by Essex. The change back was painful, but it was more than worth it to get back to normal.” (1).

“Normal?” Barnell repeated with an incredulous smirk.

“Ja, that’s right,” Kurt frowned. “Normal doesn’t necessarily mean conformity. The trauma of losing my mutations taught me that. You see, I long ago reconciled and accepted who I was. The biological conversion I underwent was nothing more than a superficial cosmetic change, and the cost of that change was far too high for me.” (2).

Barnell shook his head. “No, I don’t see it that way,” he said. “It’s way more than a cosmetic change. People look at me differently now. I look at myself differently. For the first time in a long, long time, I feel comfortable with who and what I am. Can you look in the mirror and honestly tell me you feel the same way?”

”I can now,” Kurt told him, “But at the time, I was ready to give up my ability to teleport, to accept the loss as a relatively minor inconvenience, sacrificed for the greater peace Wyndham had proposed. But the unique spatial awareness that came with it, as well as my mutant agility and stamina—my speed and strength—were all facets of my being that I had taken for granted. Without them, I was not the same man at all. That is what the High Evolutionary did not seem to understand—that it was our nature to be mutants. It is impossible to be ‘cured’ of what we were born to be.” (3).

Barnell snorted a little. “Hey, if you say so,” he said. “As for me, I’d rather lose my powers than look like an escapee from Darkwing Duck for the rest of my life. And even though Angel’s not a big talker, I know for sure she’s glad to be rid of those bug wings of hers.”

“If your transformation has made you happy, I am hardly one to argue,” Kurt said. “But I have to ask, now that you and your wife are no longer mutants, what do you plan to do?”

Barnell smiled. “We’re still figuring that out,” he said. “Right now, we’re looking for a bigger house, and we’re scoping out a few schools for the kids. Tito’s still going to be attending classes here, of course. He’s the only one of us who retained his powers after M-Day.”

”Ah, so that is why you were waiting here,” Kurt realized. “You are waiting for your son to get out of school.”

“Got it in one,” Barnell grinned. He checked his watch. “Oops—and I’ve got less than two minutes to get to the door before the bell rings!”

Kurt glanced over his shoulder to the broad expanse of grass lying between them and the mansion. “I could ‘port you there, if you like,” he offered.

“Oh, no—no thank you!” Barnell shook his head with a smile. “Since losing my mutant metabolism, I’ve found I get motion sickness really easily. (4) Thanks for the offer though, Kurt!”

“Well, I suppose I will see you around, then.”

“Yeah, that’d be great,” Barnell grinned, starting off across the grass with a wave. “And thanks for the chat, Kurt! I’m glad I finally got a chance to talk with you!”

Kurt waved back, then continued on his stroll through the grounds. After three or four steps, however, he stopped short, his tail twitching as a sudden shiver crept up his spine. So many mutants had lost their powers on M-Day, so many lives had been unalterably changed, and it was sheer luck that he had not been counted among them. Taking a few deep breaths to clear that disturbing thought from his mind, Kurt glanced over to the ball field, where a small group of students were gathering for a game now that classes were out for the day. Smiling mischievously to himself, Kurt focused on the pitcher’s mound and vanished in a BAMF of swirling smoke.

The End

:bamf

[Edited on 30/5/06 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Nice job, Rowena! Great to get the perspective of someone actually happy about losing his powers.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Very nice!! Gets you thinking for sure!! The only question I had was were the numbers supposed to refer to after notes?

It would be a choice that no doubt would be split down the middle.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Actually, the numbers refer to a beginning note I put in after the disclaimer thingy. I pretty much paraphrased all of Nightcrawler's speech from Uncanny X-Men #380: Heaven’s Shadow.

You know, I was so worried this story would seem as trite as the one I obliterated. It's wicked tough to come up with something that isn't cheezy when you're writing for a character you know next to nothing about. But I did a lot of reading up on Beak, and I'm hugely relieved you think it was interesting! Thank you!!! :D :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Rowena, I'm sorry i didn't get a chance to read this before, but its fantastic!! Great job!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Thanks!! :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

I didn't comment on this before either - but I really like it! The contrast between Beaks and Nightcrawlers acceptance of their mutations brought up some really interesting points that I hadn't thought of before.

I never read that issue with the Nightie speech - and I don't think I agree with all of it - but, the guy is entitled to his own opinion :shrug

[Edited on 7/6/06 by chicory]
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Thanks, chicory! :D

Please move to completed fics.
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Great story, Rowena! I read it a while back but never did get the chance to comment on it. I loved the portrayal of an alternative viewpoint very few readers think they or other mutants would understand. This story has been moved to Completed Nightcrawler Fiction as per your request.

Thanks!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.