Iceman's Problem

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
E.M.S
Lubber
Lubber

Iceman's Problem

Post by E.M.S »

Iceman has always been my favorite X-Man, followed closely by Nightcrawler. He’s been pretty much ignored for forty years, the lovable underdog. Most writers wrote him as the baby of the group but he has had some truly great moments. The best Iceman tales have to be during Scott Lobdells’ era. Bobby was respected by his team-mates; he was sent on an important under-cover mission, made peace with his dad and looked out for his friends. Then there was OZT. Bobby was in control and VERY mature. X-Men Forever came out and he gained even more control over his powers. Iceman fans rejoiced.

I’ll admit I didn’t get far into Caseys’ run as my subscription was up, but I was a little disappointed. I didn’t get to see the Kurt/Bobby inaction I was hoping for and Bobbys’ power developments were forgotten. But he was still my fave X-Man. The Iceman limited series came out with more character development. Bobby was actually going to give up being an X-Man to be with Opal and raise a child he knew wasn’t his. This is serious stuff people, and if my memory services me right even Scott wasn’t ready to give up the X-men when his son was born.

Bobby has had a power crisis or two before this but now he was acting like a jerk. Even through he never acted like this before I accepted it. He yells at Warren and Kurt. I don’t like it but I could see why. Warren has a history of people betraying him (i.e. his own uncle, Cameron Hodge) and trying to take his wealth away from him. Yet Warren isn’t taking the right steps to protect himself. As his friend and an accountant it really irks him (especially since Warren doesn’t seem to be listening to him.) Kurt hasn’t been the best leader up to that point and Iceman feels annoyed that their team has to keep picking up the slack for him. Yet during ‘Holy War’ Kurt wants to keep the bodies up for evidence and Bobby backs him up. I think he only does so because he feels he needs to support Kurt. But to be honest I wouldn’t have thought either of them would have wanted things that way. Both of them almost died at the hands of angry mobs after all.

Bobby wants Lorna? Didn’t he get over her? Only months ago (comic time) he was willing to leave his friends and the dream to settle down with Opal in Hong Kong. And he still loves Lorna?

None of his closet friends, even the telepaths have noticed he isn’t himself and he doesn’t tell anyone. Why? I haven’t the slightest idea for this one. Bobby has gone for help in the past, he even asked Emma Frost for help. A woman he knew would give him nothing but grief. Yet he can’t even tell Warren or Hank, his closet friends? When the secret is out no one even asked if he was okay, just why he didn’t inform the team. (I’m still not sure why he was in a freezer in the first place since he was trying to keep the whole thing a secret.) Bobby gets sent to a mission even though no ones’ sure what’s happening to him. He gets decapitated, stuck under Warrens’ underarm, threatened by Alex by means of urine and finally kills for the first time. Does he actually kill the woman? If he does he seems really happy about it. I don’t mean to bash Austen or anything but I’m sorry but I just don’t understand his portrayal of Bobby. This is my understanding of it and if anyone can help me understand this better I would appreciate it.
Iceman: "Cold hands, Warm heart."
Nik
Lubber
Lubber

Iceman's Problem

Post by Nik »

Aw crud, I went and lost my whole post! Lessee if I can remember what I wrote!!

I agree with most of what E.M.S said, but I can see why Bobby has behaving the way he has lately, even though it's not like him. In his view, everything is going wrong for him and there's not a thing he can do about it. (E.M.S, the rest of this is just my general rant, not replying to anything you said okay?)

When Stan Lee created Iceman, he said that Bobby and FF's Johnny Storm were the same. Immature, jokers who have a thing for the ladies. Now, I haven't been reading FF for a long time but I'd think that where Johnny hasn't been maturing Bobby has, despite not showing it to his teammates.

He's still a joker, but he's starting to realise that he wants to settle down and have a family. It's probably the reason he was willing to marry Opal. With Alex and Lorna coming back, it brings back a lot of bad memories for him, and with them getting engaged he feels like Alex is getting exactly what he wants and he's stuck turning into ice. That's why I got the impression that he's not in love with Lorna, nor was he that emotionally invested with Annie. He just wants a relationship for the sake of having a relationship.

As for not talking to anyone about his problem, I think that's already been explained in this thread :?. If he'd talk to anyone about this, it'd probably be Hank. He'd be able to understand what was going on with Bobby, both emotionally and scientifically. Beast has been through these types of changes himself and Bobby and Hank were always pretty close. Bobby isn't what I'd call a person who's quick to blame all his problems on everyone else, he just can't deal with his problems. He hasn't fully grown up yet, and wishes things were how they used to be. (Don't we all wish that sometimes?). As for being snappy to Kurt, personally I think he does/would get on great with Kurt because they're both really great guys. I just think of that moment in GXM#1 as CC doesn't like Iceman. (Just my opinion, I'm not saying it's fact!).

When all's said and done, if he deals with his problem, Bobby will probably come out a better person for it. Then, the Nighty/Icey humour shall commence! I mean, these two making witty jokes would be enough to make Spidey bust a gut! :D
Aragorn: "I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fail... when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
E.M.S
Lubber
Lubber

Iceman's Problem

Post by E.M.S »

Originally posted by Nik

When Stan Lee created Iceman, he said that Bobby and FFs Johnny Storm were the same. Immature, jokers who have a thing for the ladies. Now, I havent been reading FF for a long time but Id think that where Johnny hasnt been maturing Bobby has, despite not showing it to his teammates.

Stan Lee said that? Im not doubting you, I just wondering where you read/heard that. I never heard about Stan Lee mentioning Bobby before. I agree with you on Bobby maturing more than Johnny though. I read FF every once and awhile, and Johnny shows no signs of wanting to settle down.

You make a good point that he (Bobby) doesnt really want to be with Lorna or Annie, just what they repersent. Didnt he basically say that to Annie before he kissed her? That he wanted someone. Not her. Still I never liked the whole Lorna/Alex/Bobby thing. So when you add Annie to the mix it makes things worse. Everytime Alex and Bobby fight over a girl Alex always win and Bobby gets treated like dirt.

I dont think CC really understands the character. At least at the beginning. I thought he did a good job when Bobby was involved in the :arcade plot. And I heard he did a great Iceman in Black Sun (still havent read that.) He claimed over at Comicxfan that he liked all the characters, even Bobby and Warren. Still he does seem to ignore Iceman--a lot.

Yeah, I’ve always thought that Kurt and Bobby would make a great team…
Nik
Lubber
Lubber

Iceman's Problem

Post by Nik »

Originally posted by E.M.S
Stan Lee said that? Im not doubting you, I just wondering where you read/heard that. I never heard about Stan Lee mentioning Bobby before. I agree with you on Bobby maturing more than Johnny though. I read FF every once and awhile, and Johnny shows no signs of wanting to settle down.

You make a good point that he (Bobby) doesnt really want to be with Lorna or Annie, just what they repersent. Didnt he basically say that to Annie before he kissed her? That he wanted someone. Not her. Still I never liked the whole Lorna/Alex/Bobby thing. So when you add Annie to the mix it makes things worse. Everytime Alex and Bobby fight over a girl Alex always win and Bobby gets treated like dirt.

I dont think CC really understands the character. At least at the beginning. I thought he did a good job when Bobby was involved in the :arcade plot. And I heard he did a great Iceman in Black Sun (still havent read that.) He claimed over at Comicxfan that he liked all the characters, even Bobby and Warren. Still he does seem to ignore Iceman--a lot.

Yeah, I’ve always thought that Kurt and Bobby would make a great team…
Dude, I seriously cannot remember where I heard that. I read it somewhere but my memorys not too good. Knowing me, I read it somewhere on here and just cant remember. Ive read way too many things today. I guess itd be good for me now to say dont quote me on that!! Gotta remember where I saw it first.

Yeah, I guess Icemans character can be easily misinterpreted.
Aragorn: "I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fail... when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
E.M.S
Lubber
Lubber

Iceman's Problem

Post by E.M.S »

Originally posted by Nik
Bobby isnt what Id call a person whos quick to blame all his problems on everyone else, he just cant deal with his problems. He hasnt fully grown up yet, and wishes things were how they used to be. (Dont we all wish that sometimes?)
Except for the Alex/Lorna thing I cant recall Bobby ever blaming his problems on anyone else. (And as I dislike Alex I dont blame him.) I do however find it funny that Alex in the shadow of my brother Summers would say that to Bobby. It reminds me when Annie called Bobby a bigot when shes really the one with a problem.

Bobby DID grow up though. He was written as a mature man who joked around and who was trying to figure out how to deal with his problems. Bobby also took on a lot of responsibilities. He took care of his injured father, at one point was a mentor, he wanted a family and took control of his group during OZT. Thats what my main beef with his current portrayal is. He has gone through all these issues but he comes off as an immature jerk. It felt like a leap backwards instead of a step forwards in his character development. I may understand why he was mad but he was (in my opinion) a bit over the top. The fact that NO ONE notices or finds this odd behavior strange for such a long period (was it suppose to be a few months?) is just sad. What ever happen to the family feel of the X-Men?

Bobby goes through this secondary mutation that brings out this horrible side of him. He has never acted like this before. Not during the X-Factor period where his powers were out of control. He didn’t lash out at his friends, instead he focused on helping Hank (when his intelligence was slipping) or trying not using his powers at all. Emma Frost took over his body and he was humiliated then he left to go on a road trip to look after Rogue. And no matter how out of control she got (or how much Emma screwed with his head) he never lost his cool with her.

I’ve asked people at Comixfan if anyone could explain to me what Bobbys’ secondary mutation is but no one knows. It can’t be regeneration because he could already do that. Does any one here know?