New X-Men #146...The revelation! (SPOILERS)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by MabusRex »

Alright. With the "rumors" running around, I thought it'd be smart to make a discussion thread just for this issue. So discuss the Xorn thingy here.

Oh, and to make spoiler text, type in [spoiler]blahblahblah[/spoiler]
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by anthomaniac1023 »

I've been waiting for this storyline for months and it's almost finally here. Yay! ^_^ Well, from the sounds of those spoilers its getting off to a big start and I bet there's even more coming(I wonder how Phoenix figures into everything). I guess Rich Johnston's comments were justified. I personally think this is a neat twist, although I'll have to read the issues to make a complete judgement. I can understand how some people would be unhappy about it though.

http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews/cr ... n146.shtml

http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews/sn ... n146.shtml

Hmm, usually don't see them split like this, at least not for the books I'm interested in. Well, from what the reviews say, it sounds like it will be a fun story, although againk, I can understand how some people won't like it.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Holy Toledo!
[spoiler] Grant is saying that Xorn is actually Magneto??????[/spoiler]
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TheSpike »

Hey, [spoiler]Now that we know Mags can use his powers to heal people, that explains how can he "die"and always come back... And also, wasn't Xorn supposed to be inside Room X for years? I know Mags can use his powers to simulate telepathy, but at this level????(I mean, the power of altering people's memories and stuff. Isn't that kinda advanced? [/spoiler]
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power, Green Lantern's light! "
--Green Lantern's Oath

Inferno (on TV): "BUUUURRRRRRRRN!"
Butt-head: "Hey, Beavis, he said 'burn'."
Beavis: "Yeah! Yeah! 'Burn' is cool! Fire, fire, fire!"
Elektra
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Elektra »

I'll repost what I posted in the Uncanny thread.

Has [spoiler]Xorn always been Magneto[/spoiler]? And if so, was there ever a [spoiler]Xorn[/spoiler] to begin with?

I mean [spoiler]Xorn was supposedly locked up for a few years. Way before Genosha happened.[/spoiler]
Nightcrawler: If someone has some extra clothes they're not using, I'm feeling a bit modest here.
Jubilee: Woah...! Why?

http://www.geocities.com/elektraspage

Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Originally posted by Elektra
I mean [spoiler]Xorn was supposedly locked up for a few years. Way before Genosha happened.[/spoiler]
[spoiler] Has he really? The Xorn powers seem to show Magneto using his Magnetic abilities in new ways, showing great control. Would he not, then, be able to return to using the telepathic applications of his powers that he used in the Lee/Kirby days? He probably just edited the memories of a few key Chinese government officials, and it's not like he doesn't have the resources to create a false paper trail. After all, he had his own COUNTRY [/spoiler]
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Panz »

Paty is gonna have a catfish :surprise

Run Grant, run!!!!:P
Panz

Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Melylott »

You stole my words Panz. Paty? Care to share your thoughts? *braces for rant* ^^
:abyss Abyss's Number Two Fan! I Love Nils!!! :abyss
:austen
"The Shire is THAT way!"
---Frodo, One Ring to Rule Them All 2 (Greatest Flash EVAH!11)
#1 Fan of Blue!Jill. Sorry Bamfette. ^_^ :jillian
I love Wither!
TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TheSpike »

OK, I've got another question!

[spoiler]OK about the telepathy thingy... But what about the fact that XORN DOES NOT HAVE A FRICKEN HEAD????????[/spoiler]
--Green Lantern's Oath

Nightchamber
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightchamber »

whaaaa???? :eek

mind you i dont even read New, but I know who Xorn is...
again, whaaaaaa????

Next I suppose [spoiler]Chamber is really Psyloke[/spoiler]
:P
...I am the ELLIPSES Queen...

:chamber POPTOPIA FAN :stacy
TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TheSpike »

Or

[spoiler]Sammy the Squidboy is actually Colossus in disguise[/spoiler]
--Green Lantern's Oath

kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

so... [spoiler] Xorn is Magneto?!
Hang on a minute! now i may only be getting bits of X-men comics but that doesn't make sense - one of the last x-men books i saw in my newsagent was the one where Genosha was bombed - and Mags was in a _wheelchair_ recovering from wolverine's injuries, (watching the sentinels just outside his window might i add)

Also mags leaves a 'dying' message for the people who survived Genosha/came after the blowing up, on the very sentinels that did the destroying and through it all somehow Xorn turns up and *is* Magneto!

This implying that he is able to rescue himself - without rescuing anyone else might i add (i think Emma will be peeved with him) which is a little out of character with the "mutant saviour" thing.
- it certainly would put a crimp on his being a figurehead for mutants being superior - characters could see it as every one for themselves or something? - and he probably would be more effective as a martyr.

Its also suprising that no one noticed the whole "hey i'm magneto and i only just got a handle on this new power cos' i'm old and de-aged and re-aged and cloned and stuff" what with all the powerful tepes/cosmic entities running around (not just X-men) no one would have noticed?!?!

how on earth did he save himself anyway? what does he do? does he have a secondary mutation which means he can turn into energy? (explains why he has no head i suppose)

augh! its too complicated (and therefore typically X-mennish) what next? there's going to be some relation to Kurt and Magneto??

"Kurt, i am your brother.... 's cousin's dentist"

"nooooooooo!"

*rolls eyes* [/spoiler]
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Panz »

Good gravy! I don't know.....its just making my butt ache thinking about it :smirk
Panz

TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TheSpike »

I just wanna see how Morrison is gonna explain it...

Man, I really liked Xorn...

But now he´s just a headless Joseph...
--Green Lantern's Oath

MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by MabusRex »

[quote]Originally posted by TheSpike
But now he´s just a headless Joseph... [/quote]

Sadly, not even. Joseph was his own character with a shared history. Xorn is a two-year-long Erik The Red. *sigh*

Personally, since I haven't even read the story/arc yet, I have mixed feelings. The arc itself is probably going to be entertaining enough, even somewhat on the epic scale of E IS FOR EXTINCTION. Unfortunately, I just don't like what it does to all the previous stories and the impact they had during the majority of Morrison's run. It's almost a Dynasty-esk plot device of waking up and the past 2 years were all a dream. No true emotional payoff, y'know?

But hey, we'll see. I'll gladly take my words back if I read it and feel differently.

Oh, and here's a few more reviews:
http://www.fanboyreview.com/reviews/newx-men146.htm
http://www.comixtreme.com/forums/sh...p;threadid=5296
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

I think Morrison's big mistake was telling anybody in the first place. What's the point of having a major plot twist like that if you're going to tell everybody about it before the issue comes out? Now people are all drawing lines in the sand and taking sides like it's a street gang fight from a bad 80s movie. The main shock will be worn off by the time the issue actutally comes out reduceing people's reaction to it. I'm sure there's going to be more to it than just [spoiler] Xorn is Magneto [/spoiler] but still... I have to admit though, it's the first time in a long time that I've felt like picking up a copy of New so I guess Morrison has done what he set out to do and make people either curious or mad enough to buy the arc. Me, I reserve judgement until after I read it.
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Melylott »

*sighs* The phrase "better off dead" never felt more appropriate...I miss classic!Mags. A lot. And I never liked Xorn. I refuse to accept this! *is stubborn* Well, they say denial is the first step...:(
:abyss Abyss's Number Two Fan! I Love Nils!!! :abyss
:austen
"The Shire is THAT way!"
---Frodo, One Ring to Rule Them All 2 (Greatest Flash EVAH!11)
#1 Fan of Blue!Jill. Sorry Bamfette. ^_^ :jillian
I love Wither!
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by MabusRex »

Originally posted by Dracadancer
I think Morrison's big mistake was telling anybody in the first place.
It wasn't that Morrison told anyone. Though a few writers/artists/editors of course knew, they didn't tell anyone. The only reason everyone knows NOW is because #146 was released last week as a part of the retailer First Looks program, where they get a copy of next week's comics for review. These retailers both posted the news online and let other customers read/flip through the issue, thus making the rumors grow exponentially.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Panz »

Oh fer...he has NO HEAD???????????? this is bloody lame, just marvel-clone him and make him look like himself. This is some kind of hoax, at least I hope it is :rolleyes

Sorry but this is the biggest bucket of slobber that Marvel has dished out in a long time...I am bending all of my powers of patience on waiting to see what happens, but I am not a happy cracker.:mad

Besides, why couldn't Xorn have been his own character????
Panz

MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by MabusRex »

He has a head, as is CLEARLY shown in the last page of this issue (as I'm told). C'mon people. Just wait til the issue comes out before you start making those kinds of comments, please.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Panz »

Sorry Ryan, I won't be able to pick it up before Friday, because I live in the armpit of the world
I'll behave :P

But now that you think of it the headless X-Men has a certain ring to it :LOL ok Im just weird.
Panz

Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

[ The only reason everyone knows NOW is because #146 was released last week as a part of the retailer First Looks program, where they get a copy of next week's comics for review. These retailers both posted the news online and let other customers read/flip through the issue, thus making the rumors grow exponentially.
I thought retailers had to sign some kind of confidentially contract aginst doing that kind of stuff? Well my bad though then, I'd heard Morrison had said something online "somewhere." It's what I get for listening to rumors I guess. :rolleyes
Thanks for the clear-up though Ryan.
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Really, a weird idea. I don't see the point of this. But Ryan is right. Let's give Morrison a chance -although I doubt I'll like it. The last New X-Men story I enjoyed was "E for extinction". After that one... :
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by MabusRex »

Sorry to repost this from the Paty discussion, but not everyone reads Cockrum's forum. So...

I own the issue now. The final page has him revealed as [spoiler]Magneto[/spoiler] without the helmet on. It's definitely him. And he says it was a ruse from the start. He created Feng Tu prison to distract them. *sigh*

The issue itself was ok. Plenty of stilted dialogue and weird plot-driven convienences, such as Wolverine surviving the base explosion from last issue. The Xorn/Xavier confrontation was dramatic enough, but then again, it's REALLY hard to screw up a [spoiler]Magneto[/spoiler]/Charles scene.

I think, and I've expressed this before, my main beef with this is that it feels like Morrison is acting like the petty child who, instead of having to share his toys, breaks them before anyone can use them. As far as I can see, EVERYTHING Morrison did during his run is being reversed. [spoiler]Xavier crippled, Xorn no more, the Special Class being in league with Mags and thus won't be at the school when all is said and done, Cerebra destroyed, Magneto alive etc. etc. etc[/spoiler]. I think THAT'S what's aggrivating me the most. But, hey, there's still 4 more issues to the arc, lots can happen. I'm skeptical, but vaguely optimistic.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Panz »

I'm not amused...GM is pulling a Casey, gonna screw things up ( i.e. the whole priest thing) and laugh as he walks away...he is being a petulent child and you are right, Ryan, he would rather break his toys than share.

It will not surprise me in the least if he kills off most of his cast, either Charles, Magneto or both and gives the readers and the next writer a big "kiss my bum".

I'm afraid of what comes next.
Panz