Uncanny X-Men General Discussion Reload

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Are you sure that's the cover? It doesn't seemed to be shaped right - especially since they tend to put advertisements on the back rather than continue the art.
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Well I think it's the cover and since it is the #475 issue maybe it's some sort of anniversary issue :shrug
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

It looks pretty big to be a cover, but I suppose they'll fit it somehow.. I like this lineup (even if Storm and Psylocke aren't there) and I heard that this lineup isn't really permanent and it'll change a bit in the future (as long as Kurt and Rachel stay on I'll be happy though):bamf
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I just got the last three issues of Uncanny in the mail and all I can say is :dance These two arcs have been great and have only furthered my newfound obsession for Rachel:shifty As long as Brubaker keeps her as a prominent part of his run, I think I'll be pleased with it..
Tyros
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tyros »

Here are some studies for the new lineup of Uncanny which I thought was pretty cool

And from the upcoming annual:
The Uncanny X-Men Annual in June, by Chris Claremont and Clayton Henry with a cover by Leinil Yu, will deal with some tough decisions Storm has to make
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I was pretty happy that Storm was at least included in the last issue and that Claremont somewhat explained why Wolverine wasn't around.. though I'm not sure how he was sanctioned by O*N*E to leave the mansion, let alone the country.. maybe it's an Avenger thing :rolleyes:bamf
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Tyros
And from the upcoming annual:
The Uncanny X-Men Annual in June, by Chris Claremont and Clayton Henry with a cover by Leinil Yu, will deal with some tough decisions Storm has to make
Kurt looks so sad :( And for a woman that's about to get married Storm doesn't look too thrilled either...in fact, NONE of them do...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I guess it could be that she announced she's officially leaving the team:( which will really suck, cause she's one of my favorite X-Men.. I guess Rachel is my favorite X-Lady now, if Storm really does quite..:bamf
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

that's so green my eyes are burning :o (Polaris)

Still doesn't explain how Logan got on the cover of a book he's not in :P
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

:LOL Wolverine has a knack of doing that doesn't he? Maybe the covers were drawn before the story was?? I think that's how it worked with the first four issues of Nightcrawler anyway.. I liked Lorna's purple oufit much better.. it kinda made her look like a witch (they could've called her the Lavender Witch if she somehow got Wanda's powers):LOL:shifty
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

So what did everyone think of Uncanny #470?

[spoiler]I think it's dragging along a bit...I mean we're pretty much setting up for the big fight at the end where Rachel goes Phoenix on the Shi'ar's asses. But I do hope that doctor has insurence, and ya know Kurt's goatee from #469 wasn't that bad....:smirk[/spoiler]
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Rachel is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters and aside from the way the story is actually being told, I'm enjoying it.. I think we could do without showing how perverted the O*N*E agents are in every issue, but I guess a man in a robot has to do something with his time;) Anyway, I don't understand why Rachel had to sneak out of the Mansion if Wolverine is allowed to come and go as he pleases (going to Africa, on missions with all his teams, in addition to his solo missions, and God knows what else he does that Claremont hasn't gotten into yet..) Anywho, I'm just hoping the next issue turns out to be more plausible than the last one (don't you think they would've contained Sega in an airtight chamber considering he's a mass of fog??):doh!:bamf
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

This just in due to the popularity of Marvel Girl, Uncanny shall be renamed "Marvel Girl and her Amazing Friends"
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

The book has become pretty Rachel-heavy lately, but I think it's just Claremont's way of assuring that all his ideas get put to good use before his run ends.. I can't wait to see what he does in the next arc (the truth behind Psylocke's resurrection!):D:D
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Now if we can get the art a bit better, Uncanny may be on the road to becoming a better book.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I honestly enjoy most of Bachalo's work (his Sentinels are dead sexy.. he just needs a bit of work with Nightcrawler and the backgrounds cause those are the only things I can't stand about his work) in fact, aside from Davis, I think his Rachel is the best.. again, Nightcrawler needs a bit of work
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

Wait a minute- sexy Sentinels? :eek (But then I haven't read the comic yet.)
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

:LOL I guess I should've explained.. I think just about every Marvel artist draws great Sentinels.. no clue why but they could be the crappiest artist ever but still manage to draw Sentinels perfectly.. oh yeah, and there was that issue of the Avengers when Vision was experimenting and got friendly with a Sentinel
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Well I do hope that the ressurection arc shows that people besides Psylocke and Rachel are useful and use their mutant powers more than once a comic.

edited due to me being an idiot

[Edited on 4/6/2006 by confusedelf]
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I read issue 472 in Waldenbooks today, and though there wasn't much to the story, I enjoyed it.. I especially liked seeing Jamie in all his insane glory:eek:bamf
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Alright I'm gonna lob this grenade into this thread and see what happens.

So Claremont's run is drawing to a close is it not from 444-474, with sales in the 70,000's I can see why they're bringing in Brubacker.

Anyway my problem with Claremonts run is that it is mostly rehashed from the 80's while it worked then but it doesn't work now.

Claremont used the Fury as the first villian in his run, but it failed it's real mission from the old Marvel Uk stories, it didn't kill anyone, you see this is why X-Men need Red Shirts like Star Trek that way someone can always die, well besides Jean. And we had that Kuroro moment :rolleyes and Kurt angsting,yah.

The End of History-
Nannites-Yup
"Put to Shame"- Yup

Then there was the Viper arc, which was odd since if Bishop was immune to nannites then why was he affected by Vipers? Courtney Ross/Sat-yr-9 makes a reapperance, yah.
Nannites-Yup

Uncanny #450 introduced X-23 to their buyers, and the first meeting of Wolvy and X was retconned by Kyle and Yost in NXM #20.

Then CC hits a stride of old X-Men stories, Hellfire Club, Savage Land, Mojo, and Psylocke was resurected, in her old British body, undoing everything that had been done to here in the past decade or so.

Then there was that awful HoM arc, which was a pre-NEX, and CC's attempt at adding the Omniverse to the HoM, with such rousing characters as Roma, Saturyne, several Captain Britans, and various others, but on the
hand Nocturne was shown using her powers, some that she has currently lacked in NEX. We also had Meggan jealous of Courtney, again....you think that several years of marrige would cull the jealously, possisive isn't she? and then Meg later sacrificies herself in a meaningless death.

As we march on to Decimation we get the "End of Greys" which meaningly slaughter rivals that of NXM, of course this one was approved by x-fan ;)

Then on to the revenge arc "Wandering Star" Which doesn't really accomplish anything besides saying that the Shi'ar are bastards and Rachel is too good to destroy them.

Then to the resurrection arc, with the insane Jamie, who's not as insane as his last apperance...:scratch, and we get the cheap anti Phoenix knockoff the Forsaken, and Jamie and his mates were called the FOURsaken clever isn't it.

So anyway to wind up my rant let me give you the main characters/focus points of each arc.

End of History:Sage
Viper arc: Sage
Cruelest Cut: Storm,Wolverine, X-23
Chasing Hellfire:Sage,Rachel, Storm, Emma
Savage land arc:Rachel, Psylocke
HoM: Rachel, Psylocke, NEX
End of Grey-Rachel
Wandering Star-Rachel
Resurrection Arc-Psylocke

Some of y'all may have not liked Austen but at least he gave Kurt some panel time, compared to the Marvel Girl/Sage/Psylocke show that Uncanny has been since CC came along.

[Edited on 5/16/2006 by confusedelf]
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Exactly...and this is why I'm actually looking forward to Brubacker...at least he used Kurt in Deadly Genesis...though the every third issue donated to Vulcan thing is gonna annoy…don’t give a flyin’ fig about him…guess I'll be doing with that issue what I've been doing with 99% of Unlimited...buy it, bag it, board it, draw it, but not read it...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Looks around for the kamikaze deer :shifty

I bought the Uncanny books starting with the Claremont/Davis return. I :love'd the baseball game but it got boring kinda fast. What with the nannites and the Fury and Viper buying Murder World off ebay..

As long as Davis was there, the art was AMAZING. (And hey - the Kuroro and the Rachel/Kurt in the Danger Room were the best parts!)

I gave up on it half-way through the dino-arc. Rachel turned into a dinosaur and Ororo was going to destroy the whole world (again) with a nuclear winter.

Reading Uncanny these days gives me an unescapeable feeling of deja-vu. And as much as I loved Claremont's work from the 80's - I'm kinda tired of the mind control, slavery, bondage, and such. Also, I have to agree that the focus is too much on too few characters.

I hope the next writer does better with the team. :smirk
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I thought the start of Claremont's run was pretty good (issues 450-459ish pretty interesting), but the HoM story was pretty crappy IMO. The following arc was pretty good, in that it gave me a good understanding of Rachel and has made her one of my favorite X-Men.. I'm not really looking forward to Brubaker's run, because I've only read one issue of Deadly Genesis, so I'm not sure what to expect from him, but I'll buy it anyway (as soon as my comicbook store has a sale that is.. I don't have that kind of money :LOL )
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

I did like the Cruelest Cut arc, and Chasing Hellfire had it's moments well most of his arcs had their moments, but those are my "favorite" arcs of CC's run.

I just found out that Brubackers first arc "The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" will be 12 issues long....damn.

[Edited on 5/16/2006 by confusedelf]