What are Nightcrawler's powers?

Community created Nightcrawler knowledge base to answer all your questions in one place!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Nightcrawler is a mutant of many powers due to the fact that he is a second generation mutant. Here is a brief rundown of Kurt's powers:
  • Teleportation
  • Ability to stick to walls
  • Limited invisibility in shadows
  • Enhanced night vision
  • Enhanced agility and flexibility (there is some debate if this is due in part to his mutant physiology or strictly training, however)
Well, up above is really about all you need to know to follow the stories, but here's how each of those powers work, and thier limitations to the best of our knowledge.

Teleportation

Nightcrawler opens a portal or wormhole through a dimension adjacent to his own. Kurt passes through this dimension for a fraction of a second, and another opening is created up to 4 miles from his point of departure, Kurt travels between these two points near instantaneously. Upon his departure and arrival, a puff of smoke, flash of fire and the stench of brimstone accompanies him with a customary BAMF sound. This is atmosphere from the dimension he passes through escaping while the portal is open, and the BAMF sound is caused by the opening and closing of the portal.

On a couple of occasions, he has teleported considerably farther than his usual limitations. The most noteable examples of this are Uncanny #406/7 and Exiles #29/30. The Uncanny 'port was from just outside Paris France, to the Bavarian Alps, with the extreme fortune to land on an old friend's doorstep. In Exiles, he traveled from near Xavier's mansion to Central Park, NY. Both instances well exceeding his normal range. Both 'ports had two things in common. One, they were life or death situations that he was escaping from. In Uncanny #406, a bomb was rigged to go off in mere seconds, and he had to get away FAST, along with the unconsious Chamber. In Exiles, they were being attacked by Lobo's wolves, who had proven themselves extremely formidable foes before, and Kurt had to save Annie and the unconsious and badly wounded Carter, and get them to a hospital. Two, they were BLIND teleports. As in, Kurt teleported, but did not have a destination in his head when he did so. He just ported and hoped to end up somewhere. In both cases, he was extremely lucky with his destination. A bit TOO lucky for it to be mere chance, don't you think? Perhaps there is an explanation. One we can look to the issue #428 of Uncanny for precidence for. In that issue, Kurt was hurled over a waterfall as a mere baby, and before he reached the bottom, he was teleported away. Was this Kurt's doing? Not likely. Even ignoring that mutant powers do not normally develop until puberty, it is highly unlikely that an hours old infant would have the sense of mind to teleport himself to safety. No, it was his father, Azazel, who had saved him that day. Azazel, who has the same power of teleportation as Kurt, and happens to live in the very same dimension that Kurt teleports through. Azazel NEEDED Kurt (and all of Kurt's siblings) to live. Period. These teleporting mutants were the key to him escaping back to our dimension permanently, so he will do anything in his power to save any of thier lives. Kurt did a blind teleport. ended up in the dimension he teleports through because he had no destination in mind. Azazel opens an exit elsewhere, somewhere beneficial to Kurt.

There are a few side effects to his teleportation powers. Kurt has an infallible spatial awareness to help him gauge distances with uncanny accuracy, and guide him from one location to another. Kurt is capable of carrying passengers on his travels, but the ride is not plesant for them, and effects range from feelings of nausea to being knocked unconsious depending on the distance traveled. Kurt has learned to use this side effect to his advantage, grabbing foes in battle and 'porting around with them until they are unconsious. This is unforunately a drain on him as well, making him quite weak afterwards for a short while. But the effects on the opponent usually far outweigh any temporary weakness on his part afterwards.

Limitations: Kurt can teleport up to 3 miles north to south, and 2 miles east to west or straight up under normal conditions, but has been shown to go as far as 4 miles if he pushes himself to his limits.

The ammount of additional mass he can cary with him is limited, it started out that one person strained him to his limits, but through practice he has increased the additional mass he can take with him. It is now shown usually as up to 2 average sized adults, 3 if he pushes himself to his limits.

Kurt has to know precicely where he is going before he can teleport, either by being able to see it, or knowing the location he is going to very, very well. otherwise he could cripple or kill himself. The act of teleporting automatically displaces any gasses or liquids in his immediate area, but if he were to teleport into something solid, any part of him (or something he is holding) in the area of that object would become permanently materialized/merged in that object, which could cripple or kill him.

The velocity at which he was traveling upon departure form point A will remain constant upon his arrival at point B. So he can not reduce the speed at which he is falling, for instance. He can, however, change direction. So if he were falling at a great speed, he can teleport, change directions so that he is in effect 'falling' upwards, slowing himself to a safe speed with the help of gravity.

Ability to Stick to Walls

There are 2 popular theories going about to describe this ability, tiny hooks/suction cups, or connection to the dimension he passes through.

The first explanation to come out of Marvel was tiny little suction cups on his hands and feet which allowed him to stick to surfaces, much like gecko does. Personally, this never made much sense to me since he wore gloves and boots most of the time back then. but whatever.

The second explanation to come out of Marvel was that the dimensional wormhole, opening, whatever you want to call it, which surrounds him allows him to cling to surfaces. How exactly this works is a bit... well they never really said how it works, just that the connection to this dimension allowed him to do it, end of story. Some say he is able to affect bonding of surfaces on a molecular level. Others say he shifts gravity, manipulating the portal surrounding him so that the 'down' of that dimension corresponds to whatever surface he is sticking to, so that the walls or ceiling is pulling on him.

Limitations: in Uncanny 135, Nightcrawler could not stick to a frictionless surface because 'his fingers and toes couldn't get a grip'. Seems to me Claremont was writing with the suction cups theory in mind, but this was later changed. As of right now, I don't know if the frictionless surface limitation still applies.

Limited Invisibility

Ah, the forgotten power. The invisibility power comes and goes based on Marvel editorial of the time. In the early days, Kurt was able to do it until it was decided he had too many powers, and one had to go, and the invisibility fell to the wayside. Later, it made a comeback after editors had changed, most notably in Excalibur. It appears the current editorial has decided this power is to make a comeback (again). he mentions it and uses it (tho not shown on panel) in Unlimited #49, and uses it in Uncanny #429, where it was clear he was not merely blending into deep shadows, but actually going invisible.

Just as with the wall-crawling, this has 2 explanations, one from early Marvel, one from later which connects the power to the dimension he teleports through.

The first explanation is that the colouriation of his fur is so dark that he tends to blend in with shadows, and that's that.

The second explanation is that the dimension he passes through when teleporting is always partially open, and it distorts, absorbs and/or bends light which makes it so that Kurt always appears in shadow even when in direct sunlight, and when in shadows it can allow him some degree of invisibility. This one seems to be the explanation adopted officially by Marvel, as more than once he has been shown to not merely blend into shadows but to actually become transparent.

Limitations: The degree of invisibility Kurt can acheive is directly related to how dark the shadows are. He can not go invisible at all in direct light, and can only go totally invisible in nearly complete darkness (which no one would be able to see anyway) so it is usually shown as about halfway invisible in medium-dark shadow.

Ability to See in the Dark

This was not stated as a power early on, but it makes sense and it came to be accepted as one of his powers later on. The explanation seems quite simple, his eyes are simply different than everyone elses. It's plain to see just looking at him, they are luminous yellow, sometimes even glowing. So, just like a cat or an owl's eyes, Kurt's eyes are simply better able to take in light and amplify it in low-light situations.

Limitations: While Kurt can see in very dark situations, he does need SOME light to be able to see and can not see in pitch blackness.

Enhanced Agility and Flexibility

Nightcrawler has been stated many times to have an extra flexible spine, allowing him to preform contortionist like feats and maintain a hunched over posture without damaging his back. So yes, his mutant phyiology DOES grant him additional flexibility. The jury is out, however, on enhanced agility. It is no secret Kurt is a superb gymnast and could do feats of acrobatics that would make your head spin. No one is doubting he is extremely agile. But is this agility due to training, or his mutant physiology? He grew up in a circus, he trained to be an acrobat from a young age, it wasn't like he woke up and could do these things overnight. But does his being a mutant help him with these feats? No one is really sure... I tend to think of it as intensive training for the skills, but aided by his enhanced flexibility, the additional balance granted by his tail, and perhaps slightly enhanced strength (which allows him to do much greater than average jumps)

The Dimension he is Connected to

Many people assume it is the Darkforce Dimension, which mutants such as the Vanisher, Darkstar, and Cloak use. But this fact has never been proven, and is mostly fan speculation. There was one fairly obscure bio of Nightcrawler published (one bio among several that call it an 'unknown dimension') that named the DF as the dimension he goes through. There was also one story a long time ago, Bizarre Adventures #27 which could MAYBE connect him to the Darkforce Dimension, but that could as easily be explained as the Vanisher's doing... I don't see a bio as proof, bios have been wrong before, and BA was very vague on the point of exactly which dimension they were in, though getting there involved Darkforce.

In the comics the dimension was until recently completley un-named, though it had been seen on a few rare occasions. Before Uncanny #430, It was shown most clearly in Excalibur #83, where it was shown as being filled with purple smoke and lightning, but that was only a brief glimpse and was likely only the upper atmosphere.

In Uncanny X-Men #430, we finally got a good look at this dimension, and it's inhabitants. It is a dry, desert like climate, with a turbulant atmosphere, inhabited by a race of mutants who once inhabited the earth, but were banished to this dimension as a punishment. Kurt's father, Azazel, is the leader of these mutants. Time moves slower in this dimension, which accounts for Azazel's extreme longevety.

Members of his own bloodline seem to have powers connected to this dimension as well. A link, it would appear, is passed down from parent to child, powers manifesting that utilize this dimension in one way or another. Nightcrawler inherited it from his father, Azazel, and he continues to pass it on to his offspring. Hence, Nocturne from Exiles can tap into it to cast her 'hex bolts', Blue in Days of Future Past inherited teleportation powers similar to Kurt's, as well.
Yann Solo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Concerning the teleportation

Post by Yann Solo »

Do you think it is possible for Kurt to grab someone, teleport and let him go while inside the other dimension, so only him gets back to the normal dimension?

Maybe that would overpower him, or maybe he never thought about it...?

(I tried to look in the forums to find if this question had been already asked, but didn't found it)
"Faut pas prendre les gens pour des cons, mais faut pas perdre de vue qu'ils le sont." :gambit
"You mustn't tell people they're stupid, but never forget they are." :D
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

I've wondered about that myself, but I think there are two things getting in the way.

1) First, there's basically no time to do it. He disappears and reappears so fast that he'd have to have Quicksilver's reaction times to be able to let go of someone between entry and exit.

2) This would be tantamount to killing someone. How would they escape the dimension? What about food and water? Would they even be able to breathe in it?
Kurt doesn't kill. He's got a serious problem with it. If he was going to kill, he'd be like Apocalypse kurt, teleporting away with parts of people instead of the whole thing. It would be more certain than dropping them in the middle of nowhere.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

But he CAN kill with his 'porting; we all kinda saw in the deleted X2 scene (puking Artie! :*D) that the jaunt can make you sick.

I think I saw an issue where he grabbed someone and repeatedly 'ported them dozens of times and this killed the victim. But if Kurt 'ports too many times, he can have a massive heart attack! :shocked

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Siona, he's used that power to stun people or knock them out but I don't ever remember him killing anyone. He's also hesitated in porting someone who's already injured for fear of killing them.

As for leaving someone in the other dimension. He might be able to do that (he'd have to let go really fast). Or it could be that without Nightcrawler's power keeping him/her there the dimension would spit the person out and back into "our" dimension.
In all likelyhood this not something Kurt has ever wanted to try...
x3
Lubber
Lubber

Post by x3 »

Siona if you want a crazy curt the 1 on evo is prefect. :evokurt
darkness will rule,it is all i need,there is no happt outlook on life. Also find a cheer leader and saw her legs off.
nightcrawlers_faith
Lubber
Lubber

More then four miles?

Post by nightcrawlers_faith »

Okay I gots a question on Kurt's powers. As stated so beautifully here Kurt can only teleport roughly four miles.

I knew this already and so I was confused when in issue #30 of The Exiles Kurt appears to teleport farther than this.

Kurt, Juggernat, Annie, and Carter are all driving to the hospital in an attempt to save Carter's life. Kurt says that once they are within ten miles of the Hospital he will begin transporting himself, Carter, and Annie the rest of the way. At this point the Homo-superior Wolves attack the vehicle. (issue 29)

Kurt grabs onto Annie and Carter and teleports. When the port is over Annie, Carter, and Kurt all come out of the forest to the town and hospital supposedly over ten miles away. (issue #30)

So my question is....(as Kurt seemed surprised by this development)...is perhaps Kurt's teleporting ability improved?

Please help me out....
BAMF always. Sitting in one place to long is bad. :bamf

Chicks dig the blue fuzzy guy - Nightcrawler from Evo episode Bada Bing Bada Boom
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

uh... if you read the entry more carefully, i explain that, and the port form Paris to Germany as well, as clearly as i can. in short though, Azazel was helping him.
Nightcrawless
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Nightcrawless »

hey bamfette sry to go off tpoic but is ur avatar the killer rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I got the sprite itself from a computer game, Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness. which had Wyverns, Necrotaurs, Vampires, Zombies, mutants to fight, as welll as.... Vorpal Bunnies :p but i think they got it from Monty Python. there are a lot of pop-culture references in the GfG games, Monty Python and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, especially...
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

Originally posted by Nightcrawless
now i must mumble to fill up the post.
The fifty-character limit isn't there accidentally. If you're under the limit, think of something to say to contribute to the thread; don't pad.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

Granted that a mutant's powers don't usually come about until puberty, I was under the impression that Kurt, being a second generation mutant, might have the rules bent for him a little. So when he was thrown over the cliff in UXM 428, wouldn't instinct force him to 'port? At that age, human babies know enough to hold their breath when their face is submurged in water, couldn't this be an extention of the same instinct. Also, when instinct takes over, many people find themselves doing feats that they didn't think themselves capable of.
I guess I just don't like the idea of Azazel messing with Kurt's porting ability.
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
Gambit
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Gambit »

Originally posted by Tracker
Granted that a mutant's powers don't usually come about until puberty
Not in all cases. For example, Franklin Richards.
Family Tree
Now known as Metlord. >.>

Hello, everyone.
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

COOL STUFF!

Teleportation
Wall-crawling
Agility
Invisibility in shadow
Ablility to see in near absolute darkness

Add to those his often understated and underestimated...

Martial/Fighting ability
and
Leadership skills

WoW!

What a kick a@@ group of powers and abilities! Looking over this it's no surprise that a few years ago... when WIZARD MAGAZINE put together a 7 member 'ultimate' team of superheroes (comprised of both DC and MARVEL characters)....NIGHTCRAWLER made the cut!

:)

B A M F !
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Hmm, I seem to remember from the earliest stories that Kurt was supposed to 'ride' the earth's magnetic lines. Anybody else remember that?
:?
Also, did the teleportation appear around puberty or earlier? Was it ever established? I think that the X-baby Nightcrawler can teleport but I don't think that counts as proof of anything involving the real Kurt.
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

BAMF!, those are certainly valuable skills Kurt has, but I don't know that they qualify as "powers" per say. If Kurt weren't a mutant, he would likely still have them.

Shadowscrawl, it's been said that his ability to teleport is effected by the earth's magnetic lines. And that this makes it easier to travel in certain directions than others. There was even an issue of Exacalibur in which Siena Blaze uses her electromagnetic powers to make Kurt teleport to a spot other than the one he was intending.

And if i recall, Kurt first used his teleportation powers during puberty in order to save a fellow circus performer from falling.
The "bamf" that takes place at the end of Kurt's birth issue was likely his father, Azazel, saving him.
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Thanks Garble...Just checked out your web site...
:LOL
Somebody beside me remembers the Visionaries!

Home of Lil' Kurt
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Garble
And if i recall, Kurt first used his teleportation powers during puberty in order to save a fellow circus performer from falling.
I believe that's correct though I'm not sure. I do recall this being in the Nightcrawler special that came with the X2 comic book.
Originally posted by Garble
The "bamf" that takes place at the end of Kurt's birth issue was likely his father, Azazel, saving him.
Hm, mhm. I haven't seen this issue; what's its number? I've seen rather fewer comic books than any decent Kurt fan should... ;x
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Kurt does teleport during the X2 special but it wasn't presented as the first time (and he's already past puberty). What is emphasized in that issue is the fact that he is a polyglot (including Swedish. Why Swedish? Anobody knows?)
...Maybe he likes to do Muppet impressions...
Okay, not a power but still an ability. I'm with BAMF! They count even if they're "human".
After all, mutants are people too!
:bamf

Home of Lil' Kurt
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Kurt does teleport during the X2 special but it wasn't presented as the first time (and he's already past puberty). What is emphasized in that issue is the fact that he is a polyglot (including Swedish. Why Swedish? Anobody knows?)
...Maybe he likes to do Muppet impressions...
Okay, not a power but still an ability. I'm with BAMF! They count even if they're "human".
After all, mutants are people too!
:bamf
Oh also, he has medical training!

Home of Lil' Kurt
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I was just checking out Kurt's bio at Marvel...and they've given him an Energy Projection of 5! How the frick is that? That's the same as Storm...Cyclops...Jean...

Do Marvel know something we don't? Is Claremont planning something? Did Kurt inherit some butt-kicking magical ability from his dad? Is he hiding something? Or was the guy who wrote the bio just high on newsprint?

*edit* They must have noticed it...they've dropped him back to 1.
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Sabin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Sabin »

So, I've noticed that y'all're pretty good about citing where you get information, but I noticed one thing that doesn't have a citing:
Originally posted by Bamfette
Limitations: Kurt can teleport up to 3 miles north to south, and 2 miles east to west or straight up under normal conditions, but has been shown to go as far as 4 miles if he pushes himself to his limits.

Where do you get the 2-3 mile, 4 max, limit?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

4 miles is from Uncanny 419. The quote is "Four miles.... Don't ever write me off as useless."
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Sabin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Sabin »

Thanks Angelique. I was suprised when I didn't see a quote for where Bamfette got the limits, since she had issues for every other thing she listed.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Also, it shows in Uncanny 428 Baby Kurt getting bamfed before he hits the water.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven