Nightcrawler #1 - #4 disscussion

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

These are beautiful! And so are the rest at that link - really amazing work.

And I enjoyed the interview as well. I'm looking forward to the story almost as much as I am to seeing the rest of the art.

-e
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I love the different points of view you choose. The fluidness of movement and action is superb. Few artists can capture that well. Bravo!

I just hope I can find a copy of this first issue.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

oooohhh... neat! he looks so... determined.... one thing i always liked about your work is that you can do action, but also character. it's rare to find an artist that can do both... either it's lame action but great character moments, or a grand total of 2 facial expressions, but fantastic and dynamic action.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Wow!! o_O That is...wow!:LOLWhat can I say that wouldn't be a repeat?!
I'm friggin' lovin' them custom shoes...*secretley wishes for a pair despite having three extra toe per foot*;)
Amanda looks...WoW...and...o0h! *wriggles in chair* I will get a copy of every issue...even if I have to walk for a whole day just to get to Goleta to get a copy!!!!

You make my adrenaline pump, Darick:bow

~emo
one name: Bruce Campbell
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Yeah, saw these at Millarworld. It has a nice sexy dark feel to it. :love

And I thought the girl looked more like Meggan than Amanda. I thought Amanda wasn't set to show up for a couple issues. Who is it?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

Gahhh... Guhhh... *drool drool* :o Must... Kidnap head of Borders.... And... Demand comics as randsom... o_O
"I am Phil, Prince of Insufficient light! I darn you to Heck!!" :devil

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

"It's just a flesh wound!"

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE. PUT ME INTO YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
And I thought the girl looked more like Meggan than Amanda. I thought Amanda wasn't set to show up for a couple issues. Who is it?
That's my take on Amanda. I'd make Meggan more inncoent looking, not as overtly seductive. Amanda's a supporting character in the first arc.

Like I said, I'm not the writer so when I posted that, I didn't know what Roberto had in mind, but he uses her well and it's appropriate that she fits into the story the way she does.
spinifex
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by spinifex »

Darick
Thanks for noticing. I've been talking to Roberto about Kurt's shoes, and hoping to get a line of dialogue and a panel or two about how he gets them and where they come from. Lord knows he can't just pop down to Payless. :LOL
I also love the shoes!

They almost look like they could be made of leather pretty easily; a hard leather for the heel area/bottom of the feet, and a softer leather for the toes and ankle area.

C-ko
"When are you people going to learn? It's not about right or wrong – it's a question of faith. It doesn't matter what you believe in – just that you believe. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brains gotta wake up!" -Dogma-
Ghost
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ghost »

as the others say wow. once in life i'm glad i got the flu so i could see that. let's have a look how long spain takes until we get to see that artwork. can't someone of ya just :bamf over whit an issue for me :puppy ? lol well anyway looks like i have to wait a bit longer than ya folks. but darick once again that drawings are W O W.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Darick
Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
That's my take on Amanda. I'd make Meggan more inncoent looking, not as overtly seductive. Amanda's a supporting character in the first arc.

Like I said, I'm not the writer so when I posted that, I didn't know what Roberto had in mind, but he uses her well and it's appropriate that she fits into the story the way she does.
It was the prominent widow's peak that made me think it was Meggan rather than Amanda.

I guess that no matter how much I would wish it were other wise, she's just got to show up in any book with Nightcrawler and magic. *sigh*
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

I didn't realize that hairstyles were that exclusive.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

I wouldn't think they were. Amanda and Meggan have both been drawn as blondes with long hair and a widow's peak. Amanda usually is colored with darker blonde hair than Meggan's, but I would imagine as ruler of Limbo she could get her hands on some hair dye. The expression definitely gives it away...I've always imagined Amanda to be both seductive and calculating.....you captured that well, Darick.
Ghost
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ghost »

darick the hairstyle of a girl changes most of the time when something in the life's changing. ;) and u make it look on the part i saw of amanda that she really calculates what she should say and what not. so as i said before u did it that well that i may have to swimm over to get an issue lol
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Sundown
I wouldn't think they were. Amanda and Meggan have both been drawn as blondes with long hair and a widow's peak.
Certainly from the most recent reference of Amanda I was provided. My strongest memory of her was from the Claremont/Smith years when Kurt showed up in her apartment with a Bamf doll.
Amanda usually is colored with darker blonde hair than Meggan's, but I would imagine as ruler of Limbo she could get her hands on some hair dye.
Hell, my wife doesn't rule limbo and she can get some. (and the color isn't my department...)
.....you captured that well, Darick.
Thanks!:)
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

The critics have spoken!
NIGHTCRAWLER #1
"The Devil Inside, Part One: The Locked Room"
Recommended (8/10)

Marvel Comics
Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
Pencils: Darick Robertson
Inks: Wayne Faucher
Colors: Avalon Studio
Letters: Virtual Calligraphy
Editor: Mike Marts

Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

As other critics have noted, Marvel's story arcs are often characterized by their decompressed approach to storytelling. Why tell a story in four issues when you can stretch it out to six? Well, there are reasons for and against the approach. Aguirre-Sacasa takes the opposite tack here, though, as he really the gets the story going quickly, establishing who the bad guy is surprisingly early on. Still, he maintains a thoroughly mysterious tone throughout the issue. The overall feel of the issue is not unlike that one finds in Exorcist III, an underrated movie that combines supernatural horror with a detective mystery. Furthermore, Darick Robertson's art is a bit surprising as well, boasting a softer quality than what we've seen in his other recent efforts.

In a children's psychiatric ward in a New York hospital, a guard steps away from a locked door for a few minutes. Behind that door are 14 children, playing happily. At least, there were 14 children. Upon his return, the guard discovers only one child... and the bloody remains of the other 13. The X-Men become interesting and involved in the investigation because of the possibility of teleportation and mutants, so Nightcrawler is sent to check it out... in part due to his expertise in teleportation, but also because his peaceful demeanor might open doors for him.

Compare Robertson's art on this book and last week's Wolverine #19. There's a harsher quality to the linework in the latter that suits the title character. Here, the penciller's work takes on a softer touch and more realistic quality. I would imagine the shift in inkers helped with the change in tone as well. Robertson's style shines through, but one has to be impressed with how subtle differences can make for a completely different look at the same time. I like that the artist seems to have "cast" John C. Reilly in the role of the hospital guard.

Aguirre-Sacasa opens with a deliciously impossible scenario that's quite possible in the confines of the Marvel Universe. Nevertheless, by having the characters acknowledge those other possibilities, the writer maintains an entertaining level of mystery throughout the book. The detached tone of the narration in the opening two pages helps to draw the reader in until the horrific reveal hits on the third page.

By the end of the issue, it's entirely clear who's responsible for what happened to the children, and the antagonist's personality already had the reader champing at the bit for his comeuppance. The guard's emotional turmoil is incredibly compelling and -- given how convincing the combination of dialogue and art is -- quite unenviable. The writer also captures attractive qualities in the title character, such as modesty and intelligence, that make his foray into the world of humans easier to accept.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email Don MacPherson with your comments about this review.

http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews/cr ... ler1.shtml
NIGHTCRAWLER #1
"The Devil Inside Part One: The Locked Room"

by Randy Lander

Recommended (7/10)

Marvel Comics
Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
Pencils: Darick Robertson
Inks: Wayne Faucher
Colors: Matt Milla
Letters: Cory Petit
Editor: Mike Marts

Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

If I were reviewing this book in the context of whether it's necessary or what the existence of about 20 X-Books does to the diversity of the comics market, I might give it a lower grade, because really, there's absolutely no reason for this book to exist. However, examined not from an industry standpoint but just from the question of "did I like it," I have to admit that there is a lot to like about the first issue of Nightcrawler. Aguirre-Sacasa continues to have some erratic characterization and logic flaws in his plots, as in Marvel Knights 4, but he also writes some really great moments, and in general I like his take on the lead character. The real star of the show, though, is Darick Robertson, who does fantastic work on this book, far better than a B-list franchise spinoff deserves.

A mysterious murder, possibly involving a teleporter, takes place in a psychiatric ward for children, and the X-Men send in Nightcrawler to investigate. It's a little weird, to be honest, since this isn't the type of thing the X-Men tend to do, sending one member in like they're a police force rather than descending en masse like a superhero team, but it's not wildly implausible, especially with the (unmentioned here) XSE setup from Uncanny X-Men. Certainly Aguirre-Sacasa's notion that a mutant murdering human children could be a public relations nightmare as well as a tragedy fits right in with the more PR-aware X-Men we've had since Morrison's run on the book, and I can buy the notion of sending Nightcrawler in because he's a teleporter. I'm a little less sold that someone who looks like a demon is the best person to send on a case, especially one involving children, and when Nightcrawler traumatizes a child and isn't surprised that he's done so, I couldn't help wondering why he couldn't have maybe used the image inducer that was a part of his character for so long.

One thing that does set Nightcrawler apart from the same story told in a team book that Nightcrawler is part of is the spooky atmosphere that Aguirre-Sacasa and company are going for. There's definitely a touch of X-Files here, a sense of isolated locales and mental illness, a sense that danger could be lurking where no one suspects it, and it is kind of fun to see Nightcrawler tackle this kind of thing on his own. Certainly if he had Wolverine, Storm, etc. backing him up, the uneasy fear that settles over the book wouldn't be as pervasive. Of course, for all that Aguirre-Sacasa sets up a tone of suspense and mystery, he telegraphs his surprises, writing the villain of the piece (or at least, one of them) in such a way that you know within seconds that he is the bad guy. There are surprises to come, such as the nature and source of his power, not to mention his goals, but the surprise of this particular issue falls flat.

Darick Robertson is a fantastically-talented artist, and his work here is exceptional. Honestly, his careful crafting of facial expressions and subtle storytelling is more than the book needs, and the detailed, believable artwork raises the book up a few notches in terms of quality as a result. He can do the horrific, haunting scenes like the opening splash, or the "Spider-Man impression," but his real strengths lie in the way the characters interact with one another, with such small gestures and strong facial expressions that they just come to life off the page. Wayne Faucher's inks also really agree with Robertson's work, as do Milla's dark and moody colors. Honestly, while I love their work here, I think it's a crime that these artists are working on what amounts to just another superhero tale. If nothing else, Robertson is certainly of the caliber to be on a top ten book, not a spinoff of one of them.

On some levels, I'm just annoyed by Marvel's decision to roll out Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Nightcrawler, etc., because it reminds me of the efforts of Marvel in the '90s to push everyone else off the shelves. I am forced to grudgingly admit, however, that the work on these solo titles has generally been solid or better, and Nightcrawler vies with Jubilee as the most promising of these new solo titles.

http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews/sn ... ler1.shtml
Ghost
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ghost »

hey actually i liked exorcist 3 lol just been watching it on tv. and darick as mutch as i read out of that 2 chritics they liked what u did so they're clever otherwhise i get a fligth over and make then liking it. :p
both roberto and u did a good job so if there is a critik that says different ignore it. ;)
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkholme »

Considering how much Randy and Don have been dreading the X-Glut, to get 7s and 8s is stellar. I think the only Marvel books to get higher marks in recent memory have been Ultimate Spider-Man, The Pulse (both of which are by Bendis, and those two have a love of the Indy guy done good), Runaways and Mystique (both by Brian Vaughn, and a great deal of that love is from Y). I managed to read my store's preview copy a few days ago, and I'm STILL going to be at the store tomorrow when they open. :)

Between the good early reviews and this coming in at the tail end of the X-Glut, if you want a copy, I would strongly recommend hitting the stores early if you haven't already reserved a copy. And while you're there, tell the shopkeep to order the already solicited books too, since a lot of retailers will cut orders deeply after #1.
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

I was encouraged by the glowing review of my work, since I know that Roberto is still making a name for himself.

I think after a couple years of writing Nightcrawler (fingers crossed) we won't be worrying about that anymore.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts tomorrow after reading issue #1!
Azur
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Azur »

09/22, 18h09 heure locale
done ! :D
wow ! stunning
:love :clap :bow

i'm waiting impatiently for the next issue now :lick
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by SmoothBamf »

I just got it and I am happy to say that mine was the first coppy sold at my comic shop. I read it befor I even left the parking lot and let me tell you it was awesome the art the story it was all simply magnificent and for all of you that had doubts I say read it and thous doubts will surely be put to rest.

BTW: This is my new favorite comic

Thank you:bamf
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

Just finished reading it... very nice. Surprised they didn't put it under the Marvel Knights banner....

One question though whats going on with Cyc and Wolverine during the opening sequence were Storm and Kurt are talking....????
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

I was afraid that wouldn't read because it would be printed small.

They're having a argument over having to wear costumes. Wolvie complies, then slaps him. (which is what I believe he'd do. I can never see Logan volunteering to wear that silly outfit.)

Here it is enlarged, so maybe you can see it more clearly:

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Nope...thats hella blurry, but it could just be my computer, my sis installed the Sims2 so the computer has been sluggish lately.
one name: Bruce Campbell
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

ah that makes sense... It's nice to see xtra stuff going on in an issue so not all the action is in the foreground....

So the timeframe of this coincides with the relaunch of the x-books?

Thanks for the explanation by the by.
Originally posted by Darick
I can never see Logan volunteering to wear that silly outfit.)
Yeah, actually I kinda miss the leather... though I was happy to see a return to the spandex....
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Hahaha that's just amazing! Darick i so totally think that ;) i hardly see him agreeing in using it.

BAMFCentral: yes i feel the same way, i think the spandex was great during the time it was in, but not anymore.. i miss the leather too.

Can't wait for my copy! unfortunally since i live in mexico i will have to wait till my birthday so i can order my copy in an online story.. hehe my bday is in two months.. plus one more month of shipping.. that will make three... aaagggghh!