RESPECT in chat

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

RESPECT in chat

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I don't exactly know where to post this, so here it is. I feel like even posting this is ridiculous, but obviously we need to be reminded of the importance of RESPECT when dealing with our friends and new people who join our midst.

In chat recently, a new person joined who seemed to be quite well mannered and interesting. A chatter went on to playfully lambast this person, and did not stop even after the newbie told this chatter that they were offended. This caused the newbie to leave chat.

True, we do all make fun of each other in chat, and sometimes say offensive things that we know are not meant to be. But new chatters are not familiar with us and our ways, so we have to be careful when chatting with them. If someone asks you to STOP then STOP. ESPECIALLY if this is reiterated by a mod.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
sapphirescimitar
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

RESPECT in chat

Post by sapphirescimitar »

Respect. This is sounding like an essay topic and I shall treat it so.

I hardly show it, yet I expect it. Before I go down the road, I will explain it. I could just as easily ignore this thread, but I try not to be... Him...

So here goes it:

Absolutely, dreadfully sorry, and if I disrespect one more time, don't tolerate it. I'm a stupid child that needs to learn to grow up. What better way than to jam hatred into my throat, eh? I've found that is the best way to punish. Softness and love just makes one thirst to troll, as much as I hate to admit it. I'm a cold, prickly little thing, so I work just as anyone else.

If one cannot or refuses to show respect, kick their asses. I would. I have. Yet I have stopped. Some people are idiotic and insane to the point that nothing helps, guilt or otherwise.

The only thing I am hoping for now is that I am making sense, for I am procrastinating things that need to be done at the moment. However, this is important, also.

I f**ck up bad a lot, and most of you know that. Use me as an example of what NOT to do. If you can sink as low as I, then you know you need to stop. Now. I'm such a little b!tch that I don't know when to stop until it be too late.

Well, that's my dumb-@ssed self, huh? So don't be like me, how I was, how I am now... So stupid and out of my mind that I take things too seriously... Such a stupid, stupid person.

Being respectful is just as hard as being respected. I am slowly learning both. The latter one will probably never happen, thanks to my idiocy. The former I can do, for it isn't too late in reality, but too late in my sh!t hole of a mind... But I can still do it.

See? Watch... I shall.
Cocnuts.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RESPECT in chat

Post by kurtlover »

Thanks for starting this thread Lisa!
Yes i guess the respect is obviously dissapearing in chat, and the staff wouldn't like to be more drastic to fix the problem but if we have to be this way, then we will.

And that involves PERMANENT BANNING from chat.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

RESPECT in chat

Post by Panz »

I don't come to chat often, I tend to wallflower up and not be able to get into the conversations very easily. I agree that we should do what we can to welcome newbies and help them get acquainted

Thank you, Lisa, good topic.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RESPECT in chat

Post by SheCat »

Yes, good topic. I realize that I have been disrespectful at times, and that we can get rowdy in chat. We do need respect, and if someone is out of hand, then we should tell them.

And sapphie, I've never seen you disrespectful, but then again, I don't chat much. ;)
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

RESPECT in chat

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

venom:)] Wee hee?

[venom:)] you all love the cock

[venom:)] fuckin mong shit pie arses

well thats not respect.. im sure of that one :mad
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RESPECT in chat

Post by kurtlover »

Venom was banned from chat this morning, he only enters to bash people, specially Americans and to curse, plus he's underage.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

RESPECT in chat

Post by Gaz »

Oy! Where do some of these trolls come from?! I hope you mean permanently banned and not just kicked, Armi. I couldn't stand five seconds of that...
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

RESPECT in chat

Post by sevati »

I'm making a list, things you can do to get kicked in chat.

Smilie Spamming- this is when you use more than 3 smilies in a row. Screen Smilie Spamming is when upwards of 20 smilies are sent on one line of text. This f*cks up the chat for our dial-up modem users. Don't do it.
Shouting (using all caps)- people, this has been on the Net Ettiquette list for years as being rude. It's hard for some people (like me) with bad eyesight to follow the conversation. Would you shout constantly while talking to your friends In Real Life? No. Then don't do it here.
Disrespecting the Mods and Admins- you pick a fight with someone who is there to keep order? Bye bye. I've seen Mods cursed out, threatened with hacking of the site, and mocked for trying to enforce the rules. M&A are in charge. Respect them, and follow their advice.
Harassing other users- the most common is a user, mainly new, taking offense to regs giving them advice or instructions on how chat works (the /help command comes to mind) and then acting hostile. Also, constant unwanted private messaging, filled with insults and cursing. Admins can see these and take appropriate action.
Cybering- this is what IM programs are for. NS as a site has many underage users. Don't post sexually explicit stuff in chat during normal hours. There might be some sex-related stuff discussed from 11pm to the wee hours of the morning since we have older users, but since the younger users are sleeping then, it's tolerated.
Trying to hack the chat- We had a user do this and get their ass banned SO fast.

For all of these, if you do one and continue:
you'll get asked to stop
you'll get told to stop
you get kicked
you get kicked one or more times
BANNED. final. bye bye.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

RESPECT in chat

Post by Bamfette »

and if you take your harassing to PM's because you figure there will be no proof that way, (this goes for the board, too) oh the Admins CAN see private messages if we want to. if someone reports harassment via PM's we can eaily establish exactly what was said.

and if you ARE being harassed by PM's, tell us so we can look into it. we don't allow our site to be used for that kind of behaviour, even if it is kept out of public view.
Harlekein
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

RESPECT in chat

Post by Harlekein »

Originally posted by sevati
Cybering- this is what IM programs are for. NS as a site has many underage users. Don't post sexually explicit stuff in chat during normal hours. There might be some sex-related stuff discussed from 11pm to the wee hours of the morning since we have older users, but since the younger users are sleeping then, it's tolerated.
I haven't posted here in a long time, and just lurk (which I intend to continue doing), I just wanted to comment on this particular statement. What about different timezones? Daytime hours are an irrelevant concept when it comes to the internet.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RESPECT in chat

Post by kurtlover »

Actually cybering is not allowed at any hour, because of what you just said ;)
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

RESPECT in chat

And im still banned ;) :LOL

dont say why, i just wanted to type that for some odd reason. :/
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RESPECT in chat

Post by kurtlover »

I guess you know perfectly well why, cursing members over ims and general rudeness. and if you don't want me to say then why you are mentioning it in here?
What are you looking for?
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

RESPECT in chat

Nothing :P
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RESPECT in chat

Post by kurtlover »

Then please, knock it off, and change your sig, its too big, this is the second warning, Crawler already told you to change it in other thread.
Thanks
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

RESPECT in chat

Oh so that is still big?

if thats big then what a hell is small?...

should it be as large as my avatar ?

maybe you could tell me the recommended size in pixels.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

RESPECT in chat

Post by Bamfette »

... we DO reccomend the size in pixels, it has been in the rules for months and months the accepted size in pixels! and yes, it's still too big. read the fucking rules. http://nightscrawlers.com/forum/faq.php?page=forumrules

change it and stop being such a smart ass about this, or you're going to get a warning. and now, warnings stay forever.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RESPECT in chat

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by Bamfette

change it and stop being such a smart ass about this, or you're going to get a warning. and now, warnings stay forever.
I second that, instead of complaining, then change it, follow the rules, the rules are the law, broke them and you will be in trouble.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

RESPECT in chat

I have never read the rules :(

sorr -yu
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

RESPECT in chat

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Keichi
I have never read the rules :(

sorr -yu

I don't see how you could have not read the rules when you need to read them before you are taken to the registration page.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

RESPECT in chat

Well i usually press ok without reading anything, cause allmost every board have the same rules.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RESPECT in chat

Post by kurtlover »

Here, we take the rules very seriously, i don't know about other places but here we do.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

RESPECT in chat

is it still too big?

i made it 75x400 cause with height 60 the width would be only 350..
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

RESPECT in chat

Post by Crawler »

That's fine.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.