How should nightcrawler return?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

"Sorry, folks. We can't "get over it" like that.
For a lot of posters here, Nightcrawler is really, really special."

For me, I'm not even a reader of comics, so I don't care what other stuff is out there, good or bad, Marvel or otherwise. I ran across Kurt in X-2 and was fascinated by him. From there, I went to the comics to find out more about the character. I also went to the fanfiction websites, where I found, and am still finding, a good number of stories about him that far exceed the quality displayed in many of the comics and give deeper insights not only into Kurt, but into many of the other X-Men as well. (Sorry to say that I found a lot of amateurish and poorly-written stories there also, but that's only to be expected.)
While I'd be more than happy to see Kurt resurrected someday in the mainstream comic series, especially if he is written very well, until then, or until I lose interest entirely, I'll be getting most of my enjoyment of this unique character from reading fan fiction.
Mistress_D
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Mistress_D »

Sorry guys, I never intended to insult anyone or comic book creators. I have a lot of respect for artists of the medium throughout the world, it's just a little hard to find comics where I live in general because of a lack of stores. I go to general bookstores like Barnes and Noble and there they have many mainstream comics from all the major American studios, but that's about it. And with the X-Men, I made a vow long ago that it's "in with Nightcrawler, out with Nightcrawler", but if the new Wolverine series continues with the supernatural edge, I may pick it up. But the manga section is so much larger and with my interest with horror and supernatural, I have found more stories in this genre here than the American comics. Though per your suggestion, I'll look at Jonah Hex and check again to see if they have Hellboy. I never meant to imply that manga was superior so I apologize.

And while having Nightcrawler in Hell isn't the best solution, it could be a possibility. My way of thinking was that Mephisto had stolen him away. But you know me, that's the kind of story I'm looking for!

[Edited on 12/7/10 by Mistress_D]
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

While in that glorious state of half-sleep before totally waking, I had a fantastically bad idea (in that it acknowledges the Draco arc) for bringing Kurt back.

Due to all the rushing and lack of medical examination, Kurt was still alive when stuffed into the coffin. When it was stuck up on the funeral pyre, his body instinctively teleported through an act of self-preservation. Due to his weakened state, he landed in the Brimstone dimension rather than passing through it. Azazel senses his presence and goes to investigate, finding Kurt near death. He does some elaborate magical thing to get out any bits of the arm left behind and piece Kurt's pieces back together, but he'll still need time to naturally finish the healing process. Azazel, knowing Kurt won't exactly be inclined to hang around after he wakes, returns Kurt to Earth and leaves him somewhere away from the X-Men. Azazel figures he'll be able to make Kurt do some favor for him in the future for saving his butt.

Some random friendly-to-mutants or mutant person-with-good-intentions finds Kurt unconscious and takes him in to care for him until he'll be OK on his own again. Kurt awakens with amnesia, and the story writes itself in its happy soap-opera fashion from there. :toothy

[Edited on 14/7/10 by Wahnsinn]
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I don't see that as necessarily acknowledging the Draco arc - except the whole "Brimstone" thing being Limbo. But there's nothing to indicate that Kurt is Azazel son -- it's just another one of Azazel's tricks to get Kurt to THINK he is.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

I was kind of considering any mention of the Brimstone dimension and Azazel as acknowledgment of the Draco. I'd rather pretend it was a bad shared dream brought on by food poisoning. ;)
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'd like Kurt's death to be a bad shared dream brought on by food poisoning. (And when you consider how most if not all the food has to be shipped onto Utopia before being served in the cafeteria, is that too far-fetched?)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
fuzzybluelogic
Lubber
Lubber

Post by fuzzybluelogic »

Other than Kurt dying as awesomely as he lived, I think Marvel really screwed up with this one. I haven't followed the comics in months but wouldn't Kurt's death have utterly crippled Logan for awhile?
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

You guys are a *bad* influence :D

Post by kladyelf »

Randomly skimming through the thread....
Angelique:
I'd like Kurt's death to be a bad shared dream brought on by food poisoning. (And when you consider how most if not all the food has to be shipped onto Utopia before being served in the cafeteria, is that too far-fetched?)
And my brain comes up with this:

:) : Hi guys! boy, that was a close one wasn't it?

:logan : I miss Kurt *sniffle*

:? : er, was?

:storm : *wibble* I miss him too

:) : but I am right here! *waves arms* ... hello?

:emma : Scott and I miss him dreadfully, don't we darling?
*Cyclops nods mutely and continues txting*

:) : hey! I'm here *poings around the room randomly waving arms and :bamf - ing around the room, before slumping against the wall, panting*

:hank : we shall never see his like again, "goodnight sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

:huh (sourly): it was the bologna casserole wasn't it?

:logan (despondently) : I need a drink,

:storm : me too,

:) : me three, :hrumph :idea I think I shall go visit the mainland, let me know when you all stop hallucinating, ja? :bamf

You guys are such a bad influence...
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

kladyelf wrote:Randomly skimming through the thread....
Angelique:

:) : hey! I'm here *poings around the room randomly waving arms and :bamf - ing around the room, before slumping against the wall, panting*

:hank : we shall never see his like again, "goodnight sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

:) : me three, :hrumph :idea I think I shall go visit the mainland, let me know when you all stop hallucinating, ja? :bamf

If this is an example of me being a bad influence, I don't want to be good. ;)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

*gigglefit* Wibble. By Zod, that's a great word.

Oo! Oo! I know! There's this whole Fear event thing coming (because we totally need another massive event). Maybe a bunch of worst-case-scenario fear-based hallucinations were interwoven into actual events because Phobos was having Daddy issues (or some other perfectly reasonable explanation that would never happen in the real world). Of course, it doesn't do any good for the "dead" to be wandering around to kill the effect, so anyone who dies in the hallucinations gets swept off to some other realm and held captive (for whatever made-up purpose your mind prefers).

Cyclops becoming a craptacular strategist whose ideas mirror Magneto's on a bad day resulted in the order to send Kurt on that particular suicide mission. The whole thing carries hallucinatory potential! (Note the Cyclops teaser for the event having him in a Magneto outfit.) If Kurt ever went on the mission at all, he didn't die. The arm in his chest was never there; Bastion impaling him was the worst-case-scenario shared hallucination. What actually happened was that he teleported Hope to Utopia and passed out from the strain. He was magically whisked away shortly after being sealed in the coffin.

Somebody picks up on the MU reality being off, and by the end of the event, the Fear Effect is shut down and the captives released/rescued. Ta-da! Kurt's back.

Too much? Well, it's that or the Kurt who died was actually a Skrull that got stuck in his shape because of the tech in Bastion's arm. :P
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

hehehe

"The history of Wibble, from Blackadder to Pratchett" by Major Buflotttam-Smith-Smythe-Smith (Mrs) :cracked

Hey maybe while we're at it we can retcon BND into having MJ back (with Harry Osborn and son, because I do like their characters) and blame the same bologna casserole (from the last crossover) (goodness knows Peter's diet ain't that great unless his Aunt is around to feed him :D)

(maybe it was Skrull bologna....)
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Mmm, Skrull bologna …
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

kladyelf wrote:Randomly skimming through the thread....
Angelique:

That's how I feel about Takeshi (Brock from Pokémon).:love

Anyway, didn't Beast quit the X-Men?
Matary
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Matary »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:Finding out isn't difficult, but it isn't especially interesting ever. Given the choice between researching something really complicated and controversial and trying to work it into a story with a dozen other characters, or using a different character, what are most writers going to do? They have deadlines and lives.

I want the religion gone, not toned down, not minimized, GONE, and why shouldn't I say that? I'm not saying no one should be Catholic, I'm saying this character shouldn't be Catholic. It was a mistake to change the character and take him in that direction. Is it anti-religion to say that? I'm not sure actually. Certainly, the source of my disgust is not anything that was in the books. Even if they handled it "well", I would still be repulsed because it doesn't fit my idea of what the character should be like.

It may be anti-religion, but it's not like I picked a religious character just so I could complain and say he shouldn't be religious. He wasn't like that when I started reading, he shouldn't be like that now, and I can hope he won't be like that in the future.
He has always been portrayed as catholic, from the beginning.

The difference is the focus of writers over the years. His religious beliefs (an example, the fight against Selene, the vampire) was the basis of his morals and outlook, but he was not portrayed as religion being the totality of who he was. He was funny, flirtatious, outgoing, a good friend and a general well-rounded character. He had self-doubts and took the moral high ground, but was far from perfect in his actions. Catholicism was a defining point of who he was, like Kitty being Jewish, but it was not represented as ALL he was.

It was not until so many more x-men were "born" and writers became overloaded with too many potentials to give face-time to, that almost all of the cast became very flat, not just nightcrawler. The exceptions were the popular ones, for example Wolverine, Rogue and Gambit (for a time).

The problem was solved during the early Excalibur run because it had a short roster, thus lots of face time for all the characters, and with it, good development. As soon as Kurt, Kitty and Rachel returned to the fold of the x-man main book, they were back on the sidelines.

Austen was a horror of a writer and took what little was left of Nightcrawler and ran him into the ground. Rather than his beliefs being part of who he was, it became the entirity of who he was. That does not make for interesting reading for most fans. Add to that the character's (now) ambiguous back story, and it takes a lot to dig him back out.

Darick Robertson made a magnificent effort at that, and if the market had not already been saturated with too many x-titles, he might have succeeded. Sadly, Nightcrawler has never had the pull to carry his own title. A better bet might have been to write him as a regular in the Wolverine title.

I would surmise that writers are attempting to cull the herd of the overflowing X-men, they've just, as usual, gone about it poorly. They are STILL trying to come up with a "new" Wolverine or some such, that will take the market by storm and rocket sales back up. They refuse to work with the material they have.

In my opinion, the best thing they can do is to drop the majority of the x-titles, wipe out all but a few core members -- preferably the ones with the most character development done over the years -- and perhaps set up two opposing purpose x-groups...a dark and a light, for lack of a better way ot put it.

Yes, it would seem sales would drop initially at dropped titles, but as the core characters improved and writing talent was more focused rather than dispersed, I think sales would pick up significantly.

As far as bringing Kurt back, I think there are myriad ways. Margali and Amanda are both witches, and Kurt was a vessel for the Soulsword for awhile -- that might be a possible angle.
I'm not opposed to Azazel playing a part, as at least that arc touched on the dimension he travels through when teleporting.
Time-travel, whilst overdone, could be a way to deal with it.
An alternate dimension Kurt (like Rachel) is a possibility and might clear up some of that bothersome retcon to his history.

Personally, I'd like to see a somewhat older, edgier Nightcrawler (he looked great in books with a touch of grey at the temples), who, whilst still on the moral highground, is hard-edged enough to defend his principles, harshly if necessary. Someone who would put Scott in his place and fight to maintain Xavier's dream on his own terms.
Matary
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Matary »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:
Angelique wrote:I cannot say I find anything Marvel or DC has put out lately to be "astounding." Red Robin's been the only book from the big companies lately to garner better than a tepid response from me.

See, Ult, you are not going to convince some of us because Nightcrawler is not, to us, just a character we like, but the best. The best X-Man. The best Marvel character. The best out of all Marvel and DC characters. Even the very reason why some read comic books at all. Can you honestly tell us we will find an equal substitute or find equal enjoyment in any of these books?

I cannot say I find anything Marvel or DC has put out lately to be "astounding." Red Robin's been the only book from the big companies lately to garner better than a tepid response from me.

That being said, Mistress D, there is much promise in the small press and American independent comics. Planetary, Walking Dead, and Jonah Hex (most definitely not the movie) are among the many indie or "imprint" books that have grabbed my interest.

And if Nightcrawler is in Hell, that will tick me off even more than killing him off did.
[Edited on 28/6/2010 by Angelique]

First off, to me that comes of as "You're not as good a Nightcrawler fan as us if you're not boycotting."
Which I'm sorry honey, but that's horse shit.

See, I have taste, and I know how to move on from one book to a new one. Also, I am differentiating between fantasy and real life, and while I'm sad Kurt's dead, he's not real and though he was my favorite character int he X-Men, I'm not going to go bawl and cry and close down shop because Kurt Wagner kicked the bucket.

Furthermore;
yeah I can tell you that. You know why?
'Cause I know you're not trying. 'Cause I know you and everyone else who's pissing in the wind about this is coming online and complete boycotting their new books and refusing to go to the store to look, let alone purchase, anything else. You talk about storyplots in other threads that you actually don't know anything about except the overviews you see on your CBR forums or Marvel forums, and to be quite frank, that's like critiquing a movie you haven't seen.
Or grading a paper you haven't read.
Or talking about a war that you haven't fought/studied.

It's, quite frankly, talking out of your ass. I'm not sure if this is out of line or not Ange, but your reply really tested my patience there because it reads, quite clearly to me if no one else, that you think I'm less of an Elf fan than you or others.
This is absolute bologna and if you read my post in the "Do They Know You're A Crawler Fan" thread, you will see just how agitated and upset I was at his death.

I do think anyone who boycotts American comics altogether is being selfish, snobbish, and flat out ignorant, and I will go so far as to say, they're missing out on what is easily one of the best times to be a Mainstream Company comic-fan.

You challenge me being a fan to the elf, then I return the challenge and ask, why are you not a fan of comics? Don't you think these artists and writers, not much different from you and your attempts/successes in publishing your work, deserve at least some observance from you, if what they're writing is something enjoyable to you? Are you seriously telling me You have been collecting Kurt? Since ever? Just 'cause of Kurt? You have everything from the Austen run onwards, and that's all and only thing you read?

If that's the case, I hope it's a good long time until Kurt comes back because you need to realize as awesome as he was and as core a member as he is, there are other characters in that series, in that universe, in this genre, who are worth your penny and if you don't want to give it to them that's fine. But don't come toting your anti-comic huff in a comic forum and not expect resentment back. Sorry.

[Edited on 29/6/10 by Ult_Sm86]
I've bought the x-titles for 29 years (since 1981) and I dropped them all because of the death.

Do you know why? Because the books have been rubbish for years now. The ONLY things that kept me reading was occassional face time for Nightcrawler. I've spent too many years and too much money watching decent characters be ruined by lousy writers -- put on the sidelines in favour of the new flavour of the month storyarc.

Continuing to throw money at the Marvel franchise is only encourging them to continue with their lacklustre efforts at continuity and talent. If you don't mind giving your money to an industry that refuses to self-govern and attempt to set standards, more power to you. Buy that next cheap plot.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Sadly, Nightcrawler has never had the pull to carry his own title. A better bet might have been to write him as a regular in the Wolverine title.
Actually I'd buy that, as soon as I read that sentence my brain started waving its arms going "Ooooh!" and muttering: "a Buddy comic!!!"

Picture it: two friends fighting the evils of skrull bologna together! Girls! Action! Mystery Meat!

Matary
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Matary »

kladyelf wrote:
Sadly, Nightcrawler has never had the pull to carry his own title. A better bet might have been to write him as a regular in the Wolverine title.
Actually I'd buy that, as soon as I read that sentence my brain started waving its arms going "Ooooh!" and muttering: "a Buddy comic!!!"

Picture it: two friends fighting the evils of skrull bologna together! Girls! Action! Mystery Meat!
Part of the appeal of Nightcrawler has always been in a support role, or an interacting role. Wolverine is a flat, cynical killing machine -- until you pair him with Kurt. Brian Braddock was an egocentric drunk -- until he was cast opposite Kurt. Rachael was a "young Jean Grey" until she was became part of Excalibur --- and lets face it, Nightcrawler was the soul of that series.

For that matter, Nightcrawler himself was at his best when seen in relation to others. It isn't so much viewing him as only side-kick material as it is viewing him as a catalyst to give depth to other characters (and himself) and depth to storylines.

I think the success of the x-men has suffered because the writers no longer take the time to give individual characters any depth or meaning -- they just utilize one shock story after another.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Did any of us suggest the importation of an alternate reality version? A teaser for Marvel's next X-event:
deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Post by deadpixiedust »

^

I saw that too. And no I would not want him as a replacement. That is not Nightcrawler or Cockrum's creation. AoA version almost a totally different personality. His mindset and character was different from the anti-heros and thats why he's a fave. It might make an awesome temporary arrangement though just to see the 616 X-Men go WTF at this hardened Kurt.

Anyone else think its strange Kurt doesn't appear in any of the other realities like AoX, or Dead X-Men? Only this version. Weird. :ooh:
*.*.*.deadpixiedust.*.*.*
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I don't think AoA Kurt would be a good permanent replacement unless time in 616 Earth and perhaps some knowledge about his counterpart from that reality changes him a bit.

deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Post by deadpixiedust »

Angelique wrote:I don't think AoA Kurt would be a good permanent replacement unless time in 616 Earth and perhaps some knowledge about his counterpart from that reality changes him a bit.
I was thinking if this was temporary, it may be a decent vessel for 616 Kurt to return, say Kurt isn't dead and thats why he doesn't show up in "Dead X-Men" because he really isn't dead just in another dimension because he is a creature of magic as well as a mutant, Kurt blends with AoA Kurt. That way Kurt Darkholme can receive Kurt's more zen personality and Kurt Wagner can draw off of Darkholmes' battle experience - maybe giving us something we've seen in the episode of 'WatX' "X-Calibre. What do you guys think? :ooh:
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

deadpixiedust wrote:I was thinking if this was temporary, it may be a decent vessel for 616 Kurt to return, say Kurt isn't dead and thats why he doesn't show up in "Dead X-Men" because he really isn't dead just in another dimension because he is a creature of magic as well as a mutant, Kurt blends with AoA Kurt. That way Kurt Darkholme can receive Kurt's more zen personality and Kurt Wagner can draw off of Darkholmes' battle experience - maybe giving us something we've seen in the episode of 'WatX' "X-Calibre. What do you guys think? :ooh:
I'll take it. I might be in the minority, but I like AoA Kurt. His goodness is still there, but he was hardened by the circumstances of that world. He's a badass with a heart. And hot. :lick

Ahem. When removed from the dystopian chaos of the AoA, it's entirely possible he would brighten up a bit and show the sense of humor hinted at when given a chance to relax. Sadly, 616 Kurt was shown moping or getting stabbed more often than doing much of anything else in the last few years. While I would love to see the merry flirtatious swashbuckler make a return, it just doesn't seem all that likely when they couldn't be bothered to get him back to that state before his death.

Would AoA Kurt be the same as 616 Kurt? No, but I don't think he has to be a one-note anti-hero if they do bring him into the fold without any merging.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I also enjoyed AoA Kurt... but I have a feeling that's not where this is going.

I also think Uncanny X-Men is a wildly overrated title. :/
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Post by deadpixiedust »

Wahnsinn wrote:
deadpixiedust wrote:I was thinking if this was temporary, it may be a decent vessel for 616 Kurt to return, say Kurt isn't dead and thats why he doesn't show up in "Dead X-Men" because he really isn't dead just in another dimension because he is a creature of magic as well as a mutant, Kurt blends with AoA Kurt. That way Kurt Darkholme can receive Kurt's more zen personality and Kurt Wagner can draw off of Darkholmes' battle experience - maybe giving us something we've seen in the episode of 'WatX' "X-Calibre. What do you guys think? :ooh:
I'll take it. I might be in the minority, but I like AoA Kurt. His goodness is still there, but he was hardened by the circumstances of that world. He's a badass with a heart. And hot. :lick

Ahem. When removed from the dystopian chaos of the AoA, it's entirely possible he would brighten up a bit and show the sense of humor hinted at when given a chance to relax. Sadly, 616 Kurt was shown moping or getting stabbed more often than doing much of anything else in the last few years. While I would love to see the merry flirtatious swashbuckler make a return, it just doesn't seem all that likely when they couldn't be bothered to get him back to that state before his death.

Would AoA Kurt be the same as 616 Kurt? No, but I don't think he has to be a one-note anti-hero if they do bring him into the fold without any merging.
I guess it partly has to do with how bad 616 Kurt's death and funeral was. I really would like to see him vindicated in some way. To me its like saying 616 Kurt could not survive so lets replace it with shiny badass AoA Kurt. Im not sure I want to see Kurt porting fingers off, thats why I like the idea of a merge. I think Darkholme came from a time where things were much different and 616 Kurt's knowledge would help him while Darkholme can help 616 Kurt battlewise. The laws in 616 are very different from AoA. They can benefit from each other I think.

[Edited on 1/3/11 by deadpixiedust]

[Edited on 1/3/11 by deadpixiedust]
deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Post by deadpixiedust »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I also enjoyed AoA Kurt... but I have a feeling that's not where this is going. :/
Why? Anyway, if it doesn't happen in that issue which is a very high possibility, it may happen later. They could just be testing the waters.