Online when I'm not?

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Online when I'm not?

Post by bluefooted »

Hello,
Just a sort of weird little problem I noticed. The little notation at the end of my posts and the little box at the bottom of the main Forum page indicates that I'm online when I'm not. Doesn't really bother me - probably just another bug in the system. But, I was just worried it might be a problem with my computer. Does this happen a lot? Thanks
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Online when I'm not?

Post by Bamfette »

if you don't log out, and were active on the forum a little while ago, it shows you as being online for quite some time after you are no longer browsing the site. one time i was browsing the forums here, then went to dinner with my family then went to their computer where i am not logged in as my username, to show them the forum, and... i was still listed under 'users online' :p
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Online when I'm not?

Post by Bamf Bunny »

A webserver can't really know if you're online or not - it knows when it's sent you a page, but not whether you're spending the next ten minutes reading it, or whether you immediately closed it to do something else. With basic webpages (like on Scrawlers), your computer doesn't send any information back to the webserver once the page is loaded.

The XMB Message Board software the forum uses timestamps the "Last active" time whenever you're logged in and retrieve a page. This timestamp is used to determine who's online. If you never log out, like Bamfette said, you'll stay in the Online list for a while.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Online when I'm not?

Post by bluefooted »

That makes absolutely, perfect sense and all my confusion has been completely obliterated. Thanks!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Online when I'm not?

Post by Siona »

I have a question concerning my being online when I'm not too; I have two places I use the internet on, the local library and my mother's computer. I usually log out on my mother's comp, but sometimes I don't on the library's; would this mean I would still be online?

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Online when I'm not?

Post by Bamfette »

it might show you online for some time after you've stopped looking at the site, but it doesn't affect anything. being shown online when your not really isn't anything to worry about, it's harmless. I never log out, so that i don't have to log in all the time, and i am sure it shows me online for much more time than i really am, but eh. no biggie.

though that is on my personal computer which only I use. on a public computer such as at a Library i STRONGLY suggest you log out every time, as the site creates cookies with your login info which are stored on the computer, and will automatically show you as logged in when you access the site next from that workstation. if someone else were to access NS from that computer and you have not logged out, they could access your account.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Online when I'm not?

Post by Warbird »

I have a similar question. I only use my personal computer on this site so I guess it doesn't matter too much, but it still bothers me. I always log out but when I come back to the site It always says I'm logged in. I don't have any automatic password savers turned on in my computer either. Any ideas why it's doing that?
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy