The Mighty Thor Film

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Thor film is happening!!

How do you guys feel about it??

Cast & Crew including Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Stellan Skargsård, Renee Russo, and Kat Dennings.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
JackSkulls
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Nightscrawlearth Character: :maverick :shaman

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by JackSkulls »

Weeeeeeeell there's been a LOT of Thor movies, but I'm curious to see a marvel Thor movie. I think It'll turn out pretty good :D I wanna see it. I've wanted to see it since I first found out about it. Thor is my favorite Norse god :D
:maverick (weapon-x) :shaman (alpha Fight)
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by steyn »

Well, if you want ot learn more about the Thor film, I suggest staying after the credits of Iron Man 2.

:D
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Check it out!

Set pics of Hopkins as Odin and Hemsworth as Thor!!

[Edited on 16/7/2010 by steyn]
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by BAMFCentralII »

i'm interested in the thor movie, but i was hopin for a more gritty norse lookin Thor. This one he has all that waaaaay to clean shiny armor going on. but that's my only reservation right now, waiting to see the first trailer and for the film before i decide if good or bad.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by steyn »

Maybe that's his shiny temple armor that he only wears on special occasions, his working weekday armor is probably gritty and norse looking
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I bet the armor changes at least once throughout the film.
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by BAMFCentralII »

or maybe Tony built it for him.. the Ulti comic version his was shield tech was it not?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Not when he went to Asgaard and he became the authentic, real deal, 100% Angus beef "THOR".
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by steyn »

Tony... or his father built it.

Look at it, it does have a bit of that old style atomic powered look kind of..um...yeah I don't know design that much.

BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by BAMFCentralII »

hmmm not digging the loki actor... adrian brody woulda made a good loki.

like hopkins casting, still not big on armor, but ty for image, i havnen't seen all these pix yet...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yeah, Loki looks weird.

I can see a lot of people as him though. Alan Cumming, Crispin Glover, Rick James...
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by BAMFCentralII »

Wait rick James? the singer... omg loki sayin "I'm Rick James B*****" and i digress....

eh alan is good actor, but not my top pick for that. And i am really not a fan of Adrian, but , to me, he has the look and has the acting chops to stand with hopkins...

But loki is picked so guess we'll see when it gets to trailer point how he does...
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by steyn »

Actually have you seen Alan Cumming in the show The Good Wife? Man he is brilliant as a conniving lawyer, which is basically what Loki is. I never really liked Alan that much until I saw him on that show.
here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGuAc0REbVM

Oh! And here's one of my favourite bits of him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhcKSdBQbKU

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The INFINITY GAUNTLET!?

Well now... This should be more than promising.

[Edited on 26/7/2010 by steyn]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Thor Trailer

Really long.

Not even a teaser. It's like... just... awesome.

Watch it now, it'll be pulled soon.
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by BAMFCentralII »

wow that was quick it's already pulled
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Jeremus »

Alan Cumming would have definitely made a good Loki.....I could see him as a seriously dangerous one.

(But then he did play Loki in Son of the Mask. lol)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Trailer for the Thor Video Game

NOT BAD!!

One more reason to get a PS3 >_> :shifty
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by BAMFCentralII »

God of War III better reason for PS3 :P

looked interesting, but gameplay can be such a different experience when you have it in you hands.

To me Plants vs zombies looked kinda blah... i had put off getting it for awhile finally tried it was a lot of fun. sooo guess you never know.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Speaking in terms of design thus far though, it looks pretty great.

Also, the helmets that will be worn in the film on display at SDCC.

NICE!!

[Edited on 7/8/10 by Ult_Sm86]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Mighty Thor Film

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Thor
Rated: PG-13
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins & Kat Dennings
Directed by Kenneth Branagh
Marvel Studios/Paramount Pictures
(3.5 Stars)

It has become increasingly difficult to make a super hero flick that is little more than just an action packed, 3D spectacle crammed with CGI visuals that are so impressive your eyes hurt. The absence of story is a constantly growing problem with these films. Thankfully, Marvel took one of their oldest and most respected characters and turned his story into an enjoyable film with enough story to slide by.

Thor pans out, by its end, to be little more than a decent story with incredible visuals, and fantastic acting. Had it not been for the talents of Hopkins, Portman, and the astounding Tom Hiddleston as Thor's chaotic brother Loki, the movie may have fallen flat. There is certainly character development (and lots of it to boot) a sizable amount of conflict, and plenty of action scenes to help fill the seats. Unfortunately the film (by its end) boils down to little more than a set-up for Marvel's 2012 Avengers release. In The Avengers Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and the Incredible Hulk (among others) will stand together to defend Earth against some unimaginable force that none of them could fight alone. Marvel has done a good job of setting up their dominos to fall into place for this movie, and so far none so well as Thor.

The question is, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Was Thor written, produced, and filmed purely for validation of using the character in The Avengers? One would hope not but the lack of resolution on some parts (and a bit of a cliff hanger - for lack of a better term), and with no promise of a sequel between now and next June (Avengers release date), it seems Marvel may have sold out. But at least they sold out in style.

Thor was great fun. The battles between Thor and his Frost Giant competitors was almost as entertaining as the (honestly) well written, witty, dialogue between the characters. Friendly banter between brothers in arms or flirtatious criticism between Thor and Jane Foster, the
dialogue was tight and entertaining.

The majority of the film revolves around Thor's hammer, Mjolnir. It is not only the source of his power but it is an extension of his "self image". In the way that some insecure men carry large guns, young Thor wields a hammer with brash intent and zero restraint. His father Odin(Hopkins), displeased with his actions in starting another war with the Frost Giants, bans Thor to Earth and casts a curse on Mjolnir that no one but the worthy can lift it.

For anyone worried about where the rest of the story is from there, it unfolds mostly into a story of redemption for Thor. A chance to prove his self worth. Meanwhile in Asgard (home of the Nordic Gods), Loki is on a mission of self-discovery of his own. As a power hungry, manipulative, spoiled brat, Loki has set the deck against his more arrogant brother and placed himself next in line. This crafty abuse of power does not go unnoticed, and the band of Thor's friends (and battle buddies) unite to bring Thor back.

The movie ends on a rather high note, but still with a sense of "this is not finished yet". Thankfully Marvel has plans to include at least majority of the cast in 2012's Avengers. The most intriguing part of this movie however is not the shock ending after the credits or even the overwhelmingly impressive use of 3D (which felt unnecessary for anything other than showing off they could do it). The best part of the film is that Shakespearian actor/director Kenneth Branagh actually directed this movie and it shows. With the same bravado that one would expect from Hamlet or Julius Caesar and the same romantic fates seen in Romeo & Juliet it's no wonder they needed someone as well versed in these themes as Branagh.

Anthony Hopkins puts on a fantastic performance as Thor's father Odin. He gives each of the characters he interacts with a great spring board and really ups their performances. His vigor and intensity is still not lost with his age and his appearance in the film is both intimidating and glamorous. The costume and set designers had their work cut out for them to make both a believable environment that was still respectful of the original canon. They not only accomplished this, they should probably get a few Oscars in their hands by years end.

Overall, Thor is worth the time. 3-D was a bit much but it is the current fad and it didn't do such disservice to the film that you could not enjoy it. It does a great job of paving the road to Marvel's The Avengers as well as setting a great story for slightly older kids (there is some violence in this), and a great fantasy/sci-fi story for the adults. Missing out on seeing this movie altogether would surely be a shame but make a point to catch it in theaters before it's gone, if you still can. This is one of the few summer movies that really deserves The Big Screen.