Jean Grey: anybody else don't like her much?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I actually liked Emma better as a bad guy...or maybe I just don't like what Morrison did with her...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Nandireya
I actually liked Emma better as a bad guy...or maybe I just don't like what Morrison did with her...

I do too! I loved her in the issues leading up to the Dark Phoenix saga. UC #129-131. I loved the scene with her and then:phoenix fighting. But I don't dislike Jean. She's just sort of BLAH...
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

That's the usual problem with "perfect" characters. There's just nothing interesting to latch onto. Even Christ Himself had a temper (something about getting pissed off and tearing a church apart....).

This "curse of perfection" has given Superman a lot of trouble over the years. He was so perfect, so nice, so flawless, so much a boy scout, that people started to lose interest with him, and his popularity shot to hell for a while. They created the whole "Doomsday" fiasco, and then four "new" Supermen, just to try and breathe life back into things (that is, increase sales).

This isn't to say that a character has to be a hopeless alcoholic mysogynist to be interesting. The tragic hero concept can easily be taken way too far, leaving the reader with a case of "compassion fatigue" at best, and irritation at worst. ("Jeez, why am I even reading about this whiny bastard? I don't care if your power separates you from humanity! Stop moping, dammit!" ) A balance needs to be struck.

This said, I'm not surprised that Jean and Scott have all the personality depth of a saucer in Xmen Evolution. This is a show designed for children, even if it hits on a few heavy subjects from time to time. Everything the writers do has to be broad so it won't be missed. Charles is the ultimate, patient father. Kurt is constantly terrified about his appearance and covers for it by being a goofball. Spike is resentful and rebellious, a tough, inner-city kid for other inner-city kids to ID with. Scott and Jean are the white-bread, "Leave-It-to-Beaver" types to give the show stability and maturity, and to prove to the grownups watching their kids watch the show that there are good influences in the team, even if that means making them nauseatingly good.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Nightcat_took
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Nightcat_took »

ACK! ACK! HISS! Jean Grey! *Shudder* :eek :yech I HATE HER! Well, she's pretty cool in the movie, but that's where it ends! Oh, and when she's Phoenix, BUT THAT'S IT! Her and Scott... *Shiver*
May our Blue God Live Forever!
Mmmm...remylicious!:gambit

ELF!!! How many times do I have to say it?! Ask and it will get passed to yeah!~Logan
Sorry, I didn't vant to interrupt!
~Kurt :pokejoke
:nodyes:bamf Follower of the religion "Kurtism" Are you? lol...:bamf:nodyes
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Her and Scotty-boy are MADE for each other: they're both boring, both are total stiffs, and both have gone temporarily INSANE!! :cracked

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
Scott and Jean are the white-bread, "Leave-It-to-Beaver" types to give the show stability and maturity, and to prove to the grownups watching their kids watch the show that there are good influences in the team, even if that means making them nauseatingly good.
Yeah, that pretty much covers it. All the characters in evo are pretty much stereotypes shoved into x-men uniforms. Although I do have a problem with Jean's little Ms. Perfect image thing - boy did they make her shallow. Ms. popularity and star athlete dating stupid jock Duncan Matthews and ignoring nice guy Scott. Of course Scott is supremely boring as well and it provides *some* romantic/dramatic tension for the show - Jean and Scott together would be even more boring.

It is primarily geared to appeal to the pre-teen set and their parents, so most of the weak points in it for the older crowd were put there on purpose and I gotta tell you it worked. My 4, 6 and 9 year old girls all love it. They think Scott and Jean are weenie goody two shoes but still think Jean should dump Duncan for Scott, can't understand why Kitty likes Lance and not Kurt, etc....

On the other hand, I gotta admit that Jean leaves me cold. Don't really hate her I suppose, but she has zero appeal.

TKD
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

Originally posted by Nandireya
got to agree with you there-i like Emma when she was in the Hellfire Club- i dont like her new x-men costume

anyway i like Evo Jean- shes ok,
shes not perfect- about Scott & Duncan- Scott never asked her out but i think Duncan may have- & the thing about Jean should have KNOWN how Scott felt for her- her being able to read minds- 1st Jean was trained by prof x in the use of her powers- the prof probily taught her to respect peoples privaty (another reason why Emma is cool-cuz she'll use her powers how she'd however she wants)- so she wont use them on Scott.
I think the prof kindof uses her as his "recruiter"- we see this with Kitty,Spyke,etc- she tried to reach out to Kitty (but i think Lance was more succusful-until he tried to bury kitty,her folks & jean), she talked to rouge- she understood what she was going through-about hearing "voices" (but rouge was scared away when she saw storm), she also tried to help Magma. i spoke to someone who hated jean because of the way she treated the brohood- lets see why she wouldnt like them- there was Lance's 1st app- where he threathen her & nearly buried her( hes tried to do that several times), blob- tried to kidnap her & tied her up,toad has attacked her too
:shifty :whistle :whistle
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
lonewolf
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by lonewolf »

GASP!!! :eek how could you. :gean is wicked. 'sniff' :cry :bawl. Your making me :yell you wont like me when im :yell. They are not the words from the :hulk btw. Lol me likes :) :content.

Ok 'sigh' I suppose that i can let you off for this one. Ive got my eye on you :eek or maybe two then. :D
Today i didn't fell like crying because i realised that life is just to short.

People got killed. Bad things happened. But at the end of the day, life was only another ride, like it or not, I'd been given a ticket, so what else could I do but hang on and enjoy it and save the tears for when it was time to get off.

Both quotes from 'Sex and the City'.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

lonewolf!! SETTLE! If you knew that this was a thread to diss on Jean, then don't read it!!

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

yeah im gonna go with siona on that one...even though im not really sure what lonewolf said.. :?

although i did like evo -jean when she went into semi phoenix mode and went all crazy like!
Call me King!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

When did she do this, TATU, 'cause I've watched all the episodes and can't remember seeing this...

~Siona

-- SheCat.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

er...has any one here ever been unconcious?, or at least remeberd what it was like?...................................................
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. I've been conked pretty hard. I lost five minutes and den when I woke up I was t'inkin' about Calvin and Hobbes. You don't remember anyt'in'.

As for Jean, I hate her. She reminds me of dis real stuckup girl at school. I want to bash her flamin' face in! But dat's jus' me, I t'ink.

Sorry if de quotes comin' out weird, first time tryin' dis.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

there was one episode, i dont remember it all exactly, where jeans telekinetic powers kinda went haywire and everything went flying around the room, so that no one could get close too her, i think rogue was the one that stopped it?

something like that..it wasnt phoenix..it just seemed ver Phoenix-esque to me :)

if i remember the episode name i'll post it...
Originally posted by Siona
When did she do this, TATU, 'cause I've watched all the episodes and can't remember seeing this...

~Siona
Call me King!
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by TATU2005
there was one episode, i dont remember it all exactly, where jeans telekinetic powers kinda went haywire and everything went flying around the room, so that no one could get close too her, i think rogue was the one that stopped it?

something like that..it wasnt phoenix..it just seemed ver Phoenix-esque to me :)

if i remember the episode name i'll post it...

Power Surge, the episode was. Second episode of the second season.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

yup, thats it! Thanks alot LadyErin! you saved me some time!

:kiss :gambit
Call me King!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Ah, yes, I remember that! But I never thought of it as her going Psycho-Bird, more like her powers increasing but not the point of Phoenix.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

No problem TATU, anything to help a fellow nightscrawler. :)
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Venom
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Venom »

What the heck is your problem?! I like jean grey a lot!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Its ok if you or lonewolf or somebody else likes Jean, i like Jean too, but not all the people think the same as you , everybody have a different opinion and all of them should be respected.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

It's not so much that I loathe and despise Jean. There's nothing really to hate or love about her, in my opinion. She's kind of like wallpaper. I admit, I like my characters to have quirks and idiosyncracies. She doesn't really have anything like that. She's just like any other popular, but nice, beauty queen we've ever seen in High School.

Not a raving bitch, not overly shallow or hypocritical, just nice and kind of... "there".
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
elvenenchantress
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by elvenenchantress »

Jean is not a bad character, but a lot of the time she seems to be generic. She seems like the most typical type of character. She almost seems like a cookie cutter cut out of your typical stereotype beauty queen from high school. She's not one of my favorite characters but I don't dislike her either.
They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.

:bunny Bunny Warrior # 6 :bunny *rawr*

My deviantart gallery :browse
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
I admit, I like my characters to have quirks and idiosyncracies. She doesn't really have anything like that. She's just like any other popular, but nice, beauty queen we've ever seen in High School.

Not a raving bitch, not overly shallow or hypocritical, just nice and kind of... "there".
Hit the nail on the head w/that one. She's the personality equivalent of white noise. Really not worth paying attention to for the most part, pleasant under the right circumstances and a real pain in the ass if you have to focus on it too much.

TKD
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Amen to that, broder! :nodyes

~Siona

-- SheCat.
TheNightcrawler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by TheNightcrawler »

I don't like her at all!

:yell :mags :bamf :phoenix
I am the Nightcrawler
Snicket
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Snicket »

I'm in the indifferent camp. I don't really like her, but I can't seem to muster any hate for her, either. There's not much to her that you can really hate. I think if I knew her in a real life, though, I might get kind of annoyed with her being so perfect all the time. But she's not real.

I'm kind of apathetic towards a lot of the original X-Men. Jean and Scott are pretty white bread and boring. I don't find Angel to be very exciting, either. (Oh, wait. It's Archangel now, isn't it?) Bobby's okay. At least he has a sense of humor. Beast is probably the only original I could say I really like. I think that the characters that were created later on are much more interesting. I'd rather read a book about Storm than Jean any day.
I have a website... I also have an art blog...