WE'RE BACK!

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Crawler »

As you may have noticed, we were gone for nearly a week, and now that we're back the board seems to have gone back in time to February.

Well, the server was hacked. Someone broke into the computer where Nightscrawlers, BronzePig, CStuck, and X-Sprites (along with 93 others) are stored and did some playing around.

We have no idea who it was or why they did it, but we don't believe that Nightscrawlers was the true target of the hack, if there was a target at all.

Basically, the hacker went in and destroyed the SQL database for the entire server. What that means is they demolished the system that forms the foundation of the board, effectively destroying the board as it existed.

Our host quickly transferred all the non-corrupted files to a new, more secure server...but it took several days for the DNS to update (meaning that the downtime most people experienced was because their computers were looking for Scrawlers in the wrong place).

So, basically, we had everything but the board. Which really isn't a whole lot, considering. Luckily, everyone's favorite Bamfette had a backup copy of the boards...but the most recent backup was in February. Hence the huge number of missing posts and missing members. If you're wondering why you had to reregister or why certain threads are missing, that's why.

If it didn't happen before February 4, it's gone and we can't get it back...except for the FAQ section, which was graciously saved from certain doom by INTERNUTTER!

So I worked for a good while with our host, restoring access for us and trying to figure out if we could scavenge any of the old board. Much yelling and fanagling later, and we had no more board, but we were able to get in and rebuild.

Bamfette literally rebuilt Nightscrawlers today, reinstalling the boards and using the backup, as well as reinstalling the chat. She has single-handedly restored Nightscrawlers to working order and deserves all the credit.

She, MabusRex, and I are working hard to get Scrawlers back to working order and back to being the Scrawlers we know and love.

We are also taking this opportunity to tweak the rules, as well as do a bit of cosmetic redesign over the next week or so.

Coming Soon: NIGHTSCRAWLERS v2.0!
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Nightfollower »

oh thank god its back! congrats to the four of you, great job :D

now, lets hope this doesn't happen again *hugz everyone*

oo, cant wait for v 2.0 :D
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

To all the Admin Team,

Words can’t begin to express the pain you all must feel :(

Take heart, we love you guys!

* sends them all cyber hugs *

I just wish I had the computer savvy to help you.

Oh great, now I'm a newbie?
Ach, I hate that word
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Fuzzy_Jr.
Lubber
Lubber

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Fuzzy_Jr. »

Hey you guys rock... great job getting Nightscrawlers back up! And just in time for my birthday! :D
N-No Season Five? *Wince* *Whimper* WAHAHAHAHA! *Twitch*
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Mad With Power »

I'm so glad you guys are in good spirits. Something like this has to be a total downer. I'm glad to use my (snort) first post to celebrate all ya'll. Hugs!
fishstic
Lubber
Lubber

WE'RE BACK!

Post by fishstic »

Yay Bamfette! You rock. :)

Like a lot of people around here, I don't care about my post counts. (Hey, I get to be a Bamf Doll again. My favorite of the level names, honestly.) I just wanted the site back up and running. Thank you Jill. :) The only thing I was even halfway worried about was my avatar, which we can all see was still around for whatever reason ... now, I'm looking forwards to everyone talking up a storm again.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

WE'RE BACK!

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by Crawler
Bamfette literally rebuilt Nightscrawlers today, reinstalling the boards and using the backup, as well as reinstalling the chat. She has single-handedly restored Nightscrawlers to working order and deserves all the credit.

She, MabusRex, and I are working hard to get Scrawlers back to working order and back to being the Scrawlers we know and love.
*hugs Bamfette* Jill is teh roXx0r. Is there anything the rest of us can do? Scour google's cache of threads we can remember, in case you can um.. reinstall them? (I found my sig in one of said threads...)
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Maelstrom »

Hey, I'm just glad this thing is back up at all. Since I had to re-register, I changed my register name. I kind of screwed up the first time, put in adickins as a default (I'm so used to logging on on work computers and using parts of my real name). I thing Maelstrom sounds cooler, anyway.

Everything's gone from Feb. on? Oy! :surprise And here I just joined in June! This is gonna be interesting....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

WE'RE BACK!

Post by anthomaniac1023 »

Thanks for all your hard work guys :).
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Slarti »

Once again, I bow down to the all-mighty Jill! Great job, guys!
gingco
Lubber
Lubber

WE'RE BACK!

Post by gingco »

I'm so happy that the site is back up. I thought my computer wasn't working right at first or something. Love ya all. :D
[img width=50px height=50px]http://wooptiewoop.50megs.com/images/wo ... rocess.gif[/img] BEAVER BOOGIE!!!
Nightchamber
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Nightchamber »

yeay! so glad you guys are back! And now I get to change my username...I was sick of X-Stitch.:P
...I am the ELLIPSES Queen...

:chamber POPTOPIA FAN :stacy
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Tatu »

see...not only does jill have cool hair, but she kicks ass too!

..i just wish i was clever enough to come up with a new username..oh well...

xxx
Stevie
Call me King!
*Bamf*
Lubber
Lubber

THANKS!

Post by *Bamf* »

Well, I had to re-register, but that's okay! At least one of my favorite sites is back up. THANKS A MILLION! :D
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

WE'RE BACK!

Post by littlebamf »

Bamfette, and indeed all admin, i salute you! That is some real dedication you have for this board! A round of cyber cuddles to the admin and everyone else on the board, along with beers, or indeed cherry cokes to all my fellow not-quite-legal-yet minions!
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Kaileighblue »

:surprise I thought I had done it for a while *giggle* Most of the pages I visit all went down the same day I thought I visited them to much *giggle*

yes I know that's probably not possible unless they use a free host thing I've downed many a geocities site.
Moongazer
Lubber
Lubber

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Moongazer »

I was going crazy for a bit. Didn't know what was going on. I'm so glad it's back on. Good job, admin and everyone, for salvaging what you could.

Lots of love to everyone who works so hard for this forum. :kiss
Snoogans.
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

i cant tell you how relieved i am that its back- i thought either something was wrong with my computer or that this website was closing
i'd also like to thank everyone who works on this site- your hard work is appreciated
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Garble »

Much thanks, Jill! This could NOT have been easy to fix.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

WE'RE BACK!

Post by kurtlover »

Jill, Christopher and Ryan..i love you guys!
you are my heroes now :)
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

WE'RE BACK!

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Hell yeah! Jill is cooler than school!

You guys kick ass.....hey, the iron maiden's almost done, so once we get that hacker :evil

Wow...I only have 13 posts according to this.......:cry I can only imagine what has been lost.......not the penis thread!!!!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
crow
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

SO GLAD TO SEE THE BOARD AGAIN

Post by crow »

I got really mad when I found that the site was distroyed!!!!!! But I am SOOOOOOO glad to see it again.
~CROW~
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

WE'RE BACK!

Post by Melylott »

I love yous guys. *hugs all*
I'm so glad th board is back up, Jill and Ryan and Chirs all rock, and this really made me appreciate how much I love it here and what a wonderful place this is to be. Plus, I dig my new avatar. Too lazy to get one before. :D
:abyss Abyss's Number Two Fan! I Love Nils!!! :abyss
:austen
"The Shire is THAT way!"
---Frodo, One Ring to Rule Them All 2 (Greatest Flash EVAH!11)
#1 Fan of Blue!Jill. Sorry Bamfette. ^_^ :jillian
I love Wither!
Blue Girl
Lubber
Lubber

Glad to see the site back

Post by Blue Girl »

Very glad to see the site has been restored. I had to re-register, but that's no big deal. Restoring the site must have been a pain in the neck. I hope this never happens again.
Live Faust, Die Jung
darkmillennia
Lubber
Lubber

WE'RE BACK!

Post by darkmillennia »

Does anyone know when that Caption Contest thing will be back up?
ShizNIT - We are the shiznatch, get out mah biznatch!

My Stupid Forums