6/14 Issue: Commiseration Express

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

6/14 Issue: Commiseration Express

Post by Slarti »

Timelined a couple of days after Bad Call.

Rogue: Rogue slowed to a stop in front of the run down building and leaned down to look out the window at it. It had seen better days, but it seemed to be in the process of being refurbished. Of course, when you can create as many versions of yourself to help work on it, why wouldn't it be? Rogue stared at her hands on the wheel and her eyes slid to her bracelet. If she needed to take it off, she could, she supposed, since Hank had said it would be fine, but still.

Rogue: Although, going into a building with potential mold and asbestos without some sort of invulnerability also made her anxious. And it wasn't like Bobby was talking to her anymore, so she couldn't borrow his powers for a quick heal. And what would that do to the baby? She swiped at one eye as she felt the tears start to form, then pushed the car door open with purpose. She had to talk to Jean. Now more than ever.

Jean: Inside said run-down building, Jean was decorating. Well, she was cleaning, but she hated cleaning, so she called it decorating. Weed also helped with the dreaded cleaning. It helped much more than the furry residents of the tenement, who were shedding all that fur that she had to clean.

Rogue: Rogue took the stairs up to the door and knocked. She wasn't sure if she should just open the door, even though it was technically also a business. If Jean wasn't home, maybe Jamie could point her in the right direction. So long as it wasn't the weed store. Even a whiff of the stuff made her nervous for the baby.

Jean: Singing to herself and possibly even dancing, Jean looked up from her vacuuming at the knock from downstairs. Great! Another job! Although Jamie wasn't here. Not great! Breathless boofed and bounded down the stairs and Jean turned off the machine to follow her.

Rogue: Maybe they were both out? She heard a dog, but not much else. Rogue tried knocking one more time, just in case, apologizing mentally to the pooch.

Jean: Breathless was barking her head off and her tail was helicoptering so hard she might take off. Jean was floating down the stairs and prodded the brain outdoors, surprised when she knew it. Ooo, pokeable! Rogue! Hi! Be there in a minute! Don't mind Breathless, she's excited.

Rogue: Rogue startled at the voice in her head and stepped back from the door. "What th' fuck?!"

Jean: Jean felt the flail and giggled, setting down on the floor and skipping to the door. The lock clicked open and it swung open as Jean held Breathless back with invisible arms. It's just me, miss weird brain. Feels less weird today.

Rogue: The explanation didn't make her feel any better, but she held up her wrist. "Inhibitor. C'n y' not poke in mah head, please? It's... not great. An' Ah have secrets that don't b'long t' me."

Rogue: Rogue looked from Jean to the dog, arched an eyebrow, and looked back at Jean. "Okay, Rae. Put y' dog down."

Jean: Her eyes fell to the bracelet - not too bad - then back up to Rogue's eyes. "I'm not digging, just talking. You can totes save that warning for Beth. She's the digger." Jean looked at Breathless and her Scooby-Dooing feet stopped floating and hit the floor at a dead run, headed straight for Rogue. "Rae?! Nuh-uh!"

Rogue: She laughed and squatted down to catch all of the kisses to the face, glad she was wearing her inhibitor now. "Rae used t' levitate things she didn't want movin'. Yes-huh." Rogue gave the dog so many pets and scritches, happy for the affection. "Hello t' you, too!"

Jean: "Like, all telekinetics do that," she said, nose wrinkling up. "That's Breathless. She's a Swiss shepherd, and she loooooves you."

Rogue: "She's very sweet. Ah'm glad t' be loved," Rogue smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes as she fought with her emotions. "Ah, um... Ah'm here b'cause y' were at th' rally that th' senator crashed. Where Beth got th' blow-up vesion o' Tony?"

Jean: "Oh! Yeah. That sucked ass." Jean made kissy noises at Breathless and she bounded inside. "Come on in. We have air conditioning! And beer! Or wine. Want anything? Gummies? Oooo, I could make my special brew! It's sativa and cold brew!"

Rogue: "Uhh... No, Ah'm not allowed anythin' like that right now." Rogue remembered about Jean losing her baby at about the same stage of pregnancy she was at and she bit her lip as she followed them both in. She shut the door behind herself and looked around. It looked way better in here than outside. "It did suck ass... In more ways'n y' know... Tony an' Rhodey suggested Ah come talk t' you."

Jean: Jean stopped floating toward the stairs and flipped around, her long red braid whipping. "The freaking president and vice president wanted you to talk to me?! Weed's totally legal! He should know, he legalized it! I did aaaaaall the paperwork!"

Rogue: That made her laugh and she shook her head, "'Bout th' rally, crazy! Tony's fine with y'r shop. Ah mentioned that gettin' close t' th' senator made me feel strange an' when Tony read th' reports he said that th' telepaths who were there said her brain felt weird. But since nobody's really talkin' t' me on th' team much at th' moment, Ah didn't know any o' that."

Jean: "Oh." Whew. Jean turned back around and kept floating, feeling her heart rate return to normal. "You want coffee? Normal coffee?" She led the way upstairs to the living area, until Breathless bounced past her. "That woman had a weird brain." Wait. She turned back around but kept floating up the stairs. "She made you feel weird, too?"

Rogue: "As much as Ah'd like t' say yes, do y' have any decaf?" Rogue made a face, "Yeah... Ah basically had a panic attack just from bein' near th' stage when she was talkin'. Basically." She could bring up the things she felt in her brain after she had something that she could pretend had caffeine.

Jean: "Yeah! Jamie keeps some for clients." She even knew where it was! Point for Jean! "She was just annoying until Beth poked her brain and then told me not to, so I totally immediately did. Her head's... dark. Deep and dark." Jean made a face and set down on the floor to rummage in the cabinet for the decaf.

Rogue: Rogue looked around the kitchen and smiled. It was cute. One she could see herself and Bobby cooking together in. Her smile fell and she sat down at the table. "Deep an' dark? What does that mean?"

Jean: "Like she's got layers upon layers of terrible secrets." Jean made a happy noise at finding the decaf and started a pot. Once it was making the proper coffee noises she went to the table and sat, patting Breathless, who was circling around them both looking for love.

Rogue: "Ah think most o' us do at this point..." Rogue watched the dog, but her mind was elsewhere. "Whaddya call her f'r short?"

Jean: "Fluffy Baby!" The puppy perked up, her ears pricking forward. "Well yeah, but our terrible secrets are like... super hero-y."

Rogue: That brought a small smile back to Rogue's face as she watched the dog get excited. "She's really cute, Jean." Rogue licked her lips and looked back at the girl across from her. "Ah felt like... This is gonna sound dumb, but Ah felt like bein' near her crippled me. Like there was a monster sinkin' its claws int' mah brain."

Jean: "Thanks!" Jean blink-blinked, then narrowed her eyes. "You're not a telepath. Are you? Like a super double secret telepath?" She started playing with the end of her braid and frowned. "And what do you mean nobody on the team is talking to you? I'm talking to you right now!"

Rogue: Rogue shook her head with a little laugh. "No. An' Ah don't plan on ever pickin' up that power. Got enough problems with th' psyches. Don't need t' add other people's thoughts, too." She reached down to pet Breathless as she came over to inspect her again.

Rogue: "Ah threatened Carol 'cause she threatened mah family. Nobody's really talked t' me much since 'cept Bobby." Who wasn't talking to her anymore. Her heart felt suddenly heavy and she turned to face the dog, petting her with both hands as a welcome distraction.

Jean: "That's crazy you reacted that way to her then. Everybody else in that crowd seemed to love the bullshit she was saying." Jean made a face. Oh, they were diving right into The Drama?! Neat! "Yeah? Jamie hangs out with Bobby sometimes."

Rogue: "Yeah, Ah'm glad f'r that. Jamie's a good guy." Rogue looked up to see where the coffee was in the process of making. "T' be honest, Ah don't remember a word she said. Ah was kinda tryin' not t' collapse."

Jean: "He is," she agreed, sounding a little gushy over her love. Oh well! She got up to get the coffee and snorted. "Lucky you! I mean, not lucky, but lucky because she was talking about Osborn cleansing things."

Rogue: The gushy made her swallow and she focused on the dog again. "Ah guess y' could look at it like that, sure. Y're th' exact opposite o' Rae. It's kinda weird."

Jean: Jean gasped, pausing in pouring the coffee and turned back to face Rogue, her braid swinging. She put her hand over her heart. "Thank you."

Rogue: "Ha! Y' welcome!" She shook her head at Jean's excited nature, still grinning at her. "So, th' senator didn't make either o' y'all feel like how Ah described? She just felt bad t' poke at?"

Jean: She gave her a bright grin and finished pouring the coffee before she returned to the table, handing her a cup. "We have sugar, and milk, and some fancy syrup if you want!" Jean thought about it, ruffling Breathless' ears. "Not like that no, her brain was just... sharp. Like it was full of daggers or broken glass or other... sharp things." She shook herself. "Not insane, just... dangerous."

Rogue: "No thanks, Ah drink it black." Even though she hated decaf and it belonged in the trash. "'Preciate th' cup." Rogue had learned by now that with her inhibitor, she needed to blow on the liquid before ingesting, so she used that time to put her thoughts together. "Claws?"

Jean: "Claws! Yup! That works too!" Jean hooked her fingers into claws as she sat down and giggled. "Like the old theater teacher. Only less gay."

Rogue: Rogue smiled at the memory of Howlett, then got a little teary at the thought of Sam. "He married Sam an' me." She stared into the black abyss of the mug for a moment, then took a drink. That thought then led her to the thought of Tony down on one knee, which then led her to Bobby yelling at her on the phone. She sniffed and forced her voice to work. "Yeah, like his claws. 'Cept... They gripped mah brain. Not just stuck in straight. Do y' know why that coulda happened?"

Jean: Jean had been picking up a general sadness from Rogue ever since she'd gotten here, but now? Wow. "Are you okay?"

Rogue: "That's not an answer," she gave a weak laugh and took a drink. Rogue made a face. "Sorry, Ah just hate decaf." She worried her lip and shrugged one shoulder, deciding to give her a little bit. "Ah miss Sam. An' Bobby ain't exactly speakin' t' me right now. An' Hank took away mah chicory."

Jean: "No, but I felt all that." She waved a hand in Rogue's general direction. "I'm sorry about Sam," she said, even though she'd never met him. Bobby isn't speaking to her and Dr. McCoy took away her what now? "What's chicory?"

Rogue: "Cajun coffee. Remy got me hooked on it." She took another drink, forcing her face to behave this time. "Hank didn't take it away, really, just said Ah shouldn't have caffeine. Got some, um," her mind went blank as she searched for the word she wanted. "What's that word that means worry, but not worry?"

Jean: "Concerned?" Jean was feeling that herself right now, since Rogue was terrible at hiding her sad. "Aren't you, like, invulnerable?" She gave the bracelet a quizzical look.

Rogue: "Concerns! Health concerns," she finally finished. Rogue followed Jean's eyes to her bracelet, "Not while wearin' this. An' Ah may be invulnerable, but Ah don't have a healin' factor." Thank goodness for that. Who knows what that would do to their baby. "So, do y' or don't y' know why that coulda happened?"

Jean: "Oh." Something wasn't adding up. Jean wasn't great at math, but she could add by God. "I don't know, unless she is some kinda really specific telepath, but I didn't get that sense from her."

Rogue: Rogue frowned. "Oh." She set the mug down, unable to drink anymore. "Well, Ah guess that makes sense since she's sidin' with anti-mutant Osborn."

Jean: "There were so many people there that my empathy was overwhelmed, so I didn't get anything from her. Her brain though... she's bad news, whatever she is." Jean took a sip of the coffee and made a face, hopping up to get some of that syrup.

Rogue: "Yeah, Ah'd figured that much out." She turned the mug by the handle aimlessly. "Y' know, Ah'd met her once b'fore an' didn't have that reaction. Ah'm not sure why it suddenly was different at th' rally."

Jean: "You sure you don't want some of that syrup? I have caramel?" Jean debated adding a squirt of her special sauce to hers. "Was she being all crazy and culty and threatening when you met her before?"

Rogue: "Ah guess it cain't hurt t' try it." She slid the mug towards Jean. "Culty? Sure, we were at th' Hellfire Club. Crazy, definitely. She kept fawnin' on Tony even though Ah was right there. But not threatenin' really."

Jean: She decided against it since she'd have to go get it from her purse. Heavy sigh. After finishing doctoring her own, she grabbed another spoon and added a squirt to Rogue's mug. "There! Like, at least ten percent better!" Jean brought her mug back to the table and sat, thinking about this.

Jean: "Maybe she is a mutant, and has, like, some reverse empathy or projective telepathy? But it's weird it only worked on you if it's aimed at people who don't agree with her..."

Rogue: "Thanks," she gave her a smile and stirred in the syrup, hoping it wouldn't make her sick. "Do y' think that was it? Since Ah don't agree with her? Maybe Ah was closest?"

Jean: "Yeah, that might do it. If it was aimed directly at the crowd and she knew we weren't on her side so she didn't bother extending to the sidelines? I don't know, I'm just guessing. It seems possible though? Like, I could do it, Beth could probably do it... it'd take pretty strong powers."

Rogue: "Strong enough t' get through mah shields. Which makes it even more scary, if y' ask me." Rogue shook her head, "Ah dunno, gal. Somethin' 'bout her is just... Wrong."

Jean: "I agree with you there," she said with a decisive nod, taking another sip of coffee. "Mmm, it's better! Not Starbucks, but it's an improvement."

Rogue: "Ah'm sorry Ah had y' make a whole pot o' decaf when y' don't wanna drink it." She picked it up and took a careful sip. So far, so good. "Yeah, it's alright." Rogue watched Breathless pace in a circle and lie down under the table near Jean's feet. "So... um. Since Ah'm here... Has Bobby been around lately?"

Jean: "It's fiiiiine. If I really wanted to I could make it a special brew and then it's all good." She gave her a bright grin, which flickered a little when she caught another wave of mixed emotions from Rogue. "Nope, we haven't seen him." She tapped her nails against the cup and then decided to ask. "Not to be nosy, but I'm totes nosy... are you okay?"

Rogue: "No? Ah mean, Ah'm fine, but it's... Hard right now." She shrugged one shoulder and cleared her throat. "Bobby an' Ah had a fight. It'll be fine, Ah hope. But right now, Ah kinda needed mah best friend an' he's mad at me. Understandably, Ah guess, given th' fight. But, it'll be fine."

Jean: Jean took a sip of her coffee. Fine. Mmmhmm, sure. "Everybody forgets I'm an empath. Even Jamie, and we share brains. But aaaanyway, I can feel you're upset, so I just thought I'd ask. In case you, you know, want to talk to somebody?"

Rogue: "'Course Ah do. But it's prob'ly better if Ah don't. Sensitive stuff that maybe Ah should talk t'," anybody else but Jean, "well, Ah cain't talk t' Tony, but... Hell, maybe y're mah best bet. No offense!"

Jean: Can't talk to Tony about it either. Hmmm. Definitely drama. "Um, none taken." She reached for her braid and started playing with the end again, this time out of nerves. "You know... Bobby and Jamie talk about stuff... aaaaand we share brains, soooo..." She wriggled in the seat, tilting her head from side to side. "I know stuff."

Rogue: "Y' know... Stuff. What do y' know?" This made Rogue shift in her seat and her stomach started to get queasy from the nerves. "If y' know stuff that Ah'm needin' t' talk about... All th' better, Ah guess so long as y' don't spread it 'round."

Jean: "Um, I kinda sorta knoooow about you and Bobby aaaaaand that the president doesn't know, aaaaand maybe some other stuff. Like the plaaaans?" Jean was still wriggling a little, wondering if she was about to be bitch slapped through a wall.

Rogue: Rogue groaned and slumped in her chair, but that made her stomach feel worse, so she made a face and sat back up. "Th' plans that Ah still have plans f'r, though things just got extra complicated so it may hafta be pushed a bit. But Bobby doesn't believe me an' we got in a huge fight an' Ah'm fairly certain he never wants t' talk t' me again, an' Ah just..." And then there were tears. She put her elbows on the table and pressed the heels of her hands into her eyes to try and not cry, but it wasn't working, and that made her angry. Stupid hormones!

Jean: "I can't imagine that he never wants to talk to you again. Jamie believes him when he says he loves you... he's not so happy about Bobby's tendency to overshare, but hey. I'm good at keeping secrets. We both are. Just, like, not from each other." Oh no, now she was crying! Jean reached over the table to try for an awkward pat.

Rogue: "How did it get so messed up? Ah wasn't supposed to fall f' Tony. Ah didn't even think he loved me! Ah didn't know Bobby did, either! An' now..." Rogue hiccuped a sob and forced herself to sit up. "He's so mad at me, Jean. Ah just want him t' be happy f'r me."

Jean: Awkward pats weren't gonna cut it, so Jean got up and went around to go for the awkward side hug. "Love is crazy. I totes know that." She was so sad OMG. She mentally flailed at Jamie. "Happy for you for what? For being with Tony? I can't imagine he's thrilled about it..."

Rogue: Rogue stiffened, then leaned into the hug for a moment. "Ah love them both, Jean. So much. But now..." She took a shaky breath and looked Jean in the eyes, "Ah'm so sorry. Ah'm pregnant."

Jean: Jean froze. A thousand thoughts and feelings flashed through her mind and only some of them were her own. "Oh... wow." A lump formed in her throat but she managed to choke out a "Congratulations."

Rogue: "Jean..." Rogue winced and it was her turn to hug. "Don't do that. Y' don't hafta say that t' me."

Jean: "Yeah, I totes do! That's what people say!" She swallowed and returned the hug, fighting her own tears now and Jamie's worry in the back of her mind. "What happened to me isn't your fault, so it's fine." Her voice only cracked a little on the last word.

Rogue: "But it's okay if y' don't wanna feel happy f'r me. Ah cain't even imagine... Ah never thought Ah'd get pregnant in th' first place, so Ah'm tryin' t' be extra careful. Cain't stop mahself from runnin' int' a madman, but Ah c'n make sure t' take vitamins an' drink decaf." She gave Jean a sad smile when she pulled back. "Please don't be happy f'r me. It's okay f'r you t' not be."

Jean: "Dammit, let me be happy for you!" The words came out just below a wail and she started fanning her face to get the tears under control.

Rogue: Rogue pulled her back into a hug and held her tight. "Fine. But let me be sad f'r you," her voice was rough and shaky as she was losing control of her own tears again.

Jean: Rogue's tears fueled her own and she sobbed into the other woman. "I'll be fine," she cried.

Rogue: "But it's okay t' not be when y're not." Rogue held Jean and rubbed her back, trying to not lose her lunch because of the sick feeling she got when thinking about losing her baby. "Ah wouldn't be fine f'r a long time."

Jean: Jean sniffled and pulled herself together a little, assuring Jamie she was okay. "I didn't even know I was pregnant, so in a way it's still... surreal. Like it didn't happen. But it did."

Rogue: "That's horrible. Y' didn't even have time t' celebrate b'fore he ripped it away from y'. Ah'm so sorry, Jean." Rogue pulled back from the hug once she was sure they would both be okay.

Jean: "Thanks," she sniffled, brushing her knuckles under her eyes when she pulled back. Luckily she wasn't wearing mascara today, so she counted that as a win. "But seriously, I'm happy for you. So Bobby's mad? Is President Stark excited at least?"

Rogue: "Bobby's livid. We've never yelled at each other that much an' we're pretty good at fightin'," she gave a weak laugh and swiped under her own eyes, "We're over th' moon 'bout her. Ah never thought Ah could get pregnant without havin' it basically die on contact... Tony... He proposed."

Jean: "So he's pissed because the plan got messed up?" Jean rolled her eyes and then felt them bug a little. "He proposed! So are you getting married?" She looked for a ring, although she hadn't noticed one before.

Rogue: "He thinks Ah'm never gonna leave now. But it's not like Ah planned this! An' it's not like he really understands why Ah don't want a 'pre-baked' kid!" Rogue took another shaky breath, trying to not get angry. "No. Ah told him no. He asked right after Ah told him. No plannin', no thought, nothin'."

Rogue: She made a face, "Well, that's not really true. We've been talkin' 'bout it. He wants t' marry me. But Ah want him t' wanna marry me b'cause o' us, not b'cause o' a baby." She scoffed a laugh and shook her head at herself, tears welling again. "Ah'm a horrible person. Ah wanna marry Tony. But Ah wanna be with Bobby, too. Ah hate all o' this an' Ah cain't talk t' anybody 'cause Ah don't have anybody who knows."

Jean: Jean's nose wrinkled at the whole pre-cooked thing, not sure what that was all about. "So... wait... you told him no but you want to marry him, but you still want to leave him for Bobby?" She cocked her head and returned to her seat and her coffee. "I totally told Jamie no the first time he asked but it was because he was covered in pig shit..." She perked up a little at the end. "Well now I know!"

Rogue: "Ah know! It's so messed up an' Ah'm th' worst person in th' world." At the mention of Jamie, she perked up a tiny bit. "Do y' think he'd let me borrow his powers so Ah could make a copy o' mahself f'r one o' 'em?”

Jean: She blinked. "That's such a terrible idea. For one thing, you never know what dupe you'll get and some of them are total dicks."

Rogue: "Ah know... Ah'm just at a loss. An' now there's a baby involved. So, maybe Ah should just choose Tony? Maybe she's a sign?" Rogue made a frustrated noise and turned back to her coffee. "But maybe Ah'd've gotten pregnant with Bobby, too, later on. Not that he wants a kid with me. Or even wants t' marry me. Or even understand me on th' same level. Not anymore."

Jean: "I think she's a giant blinking neon sign," she said, nodding so hard her braid flipped. As she went on, she just kept nodding, but at a slower rate. "So he doesn't want a kid, or to marry you, or understand you... so it sounds like an easy decision! Tony Stark is hot and rich and fun and he wants the baby and he wants to marry you!" Jean refrained from adding a 'duh' and congratulated herself for it.

Rogue: "But it's not," she almost wailed. "It's not easy at all! An' Ah feel like Ah'm dyin' inside when he won't talk t' me, which isn't good f'r th' baby..." Rogue laughed bitterly through the new tears. "Maybe that's what he wants. Maybe he wants me t' be so upset that Ah lose it."

Jean: "I don't know him that well, but I wouldn't think so? That seems, like, evil." She shook her head. At least Jean really hoped he wouldn't do it intentionally. Yikes on bikes! "So... you just want him to talk to you again, or you want to be with him and not Tony Stark?"

Rogue: "Both," Rogue said weakly, sniffling and wiping at her nose. "He's mah best friend. An' Ah love him. But... Ah love Tony, too. Ah wasn't supposed t' love him. It was just supposed t' be keepin' each other company. Enjoyin' each other." She looked up at Jean, "Tony's not been with anyone but me f'r three years. He kept up th' ruse that he was spendin' time with other women, even with me."

Jean: "Oh wow, so Tony is, like, really, really into you." Jean licked her lips and took another drink, trying to decide how to say this. "So you don't love Tony enough to marry him and all that? You love them both but you love Bobby more? No offense, but Bobby sounds like he's being an asshole."

Rogue: "Ah do wanna marry Tony," she admitted softly. "But Ah don't wanna lose mah best friend either." Rogue took a shaky breath, "Honestly? Ah don't know who Ah love more..."

Jean: "Soooo, if you didn't lose him as your best friend you'd marry Tony?" Jean could believe that, because she was picking up not just the sads but also hella confusion from Rogue.

Rogue: "Maybe? Ah'd want to... But if Bobby asked, Ah'd wanna say yes t' him, too." Rogue buried her hands in her hair, using the heels of her palms to rest her forehead as she stared down into the black abyss in her mug.

Rogue: "There's never been a time when it's worked f'r Bobby an' me... Ah didn't even think 'bout him that way 'till he started seein' Paige. Ah hated that. Tried t' get him t' run off with me an' leave her a couple o' times. But he never would... An' he didn't get why, either, apparently."

Jean: "Men are dumb." She nodded and took another sip of coffee, making a slight face. "I can't even imagine the situation you're in... I've only ever loved one person. I can feel how torn up you are over it though. What would you do if Bobby never talked to you again? Would you be able to get over him and move on with Tony?"

Rogue: Rogue was quiet while she rolled that around in her head, then brought a hand to her abdomen. "Ah don't know if Ah'd ever be able t' get over losin' Bobby. But if Ah gotta do it f'r mah baby, Ah'd have to." She lifted her head and looked at Jean. "Y' know anybody who's precog enough t' tell me what t' do?"

Jean: "I don't know any precogs," she frowned, thinking that over. Weird. "Okay, well, say Bobby gets over his man pain and he, like, wants you to run away with him? Would you just dump the president?"

Rogue: That gave Rogue pause and she just looked at Jean for a long moment. Would he actually want to do that? Was it even possible? "He'd never run away," she said sadly. "Not even f'r me."

Jean: "Well, then he's a shithead." Jean pouted, feeling another wave of The Sads from Rogue. "I bet the president would... once he's done with the presidenting and all. He seems hella impulsive."

Rogue: "He did tell me we could move t' wherever after he leaves office... But that's not really th' same as runnin' away." She licked her lips and thought about how to best describe the feeling of freedom it gave her. The utter contentment that everyone she loved was safe because she wasn't near them. Instead, she just projected those feelings because words never got anyone to understand.

Jean: "Well most people don't, like, run away run away..." She totally hadn't run away, she'd just gone back home when Jamie told her to fuck off. Totally reasonable reaction. Yup. Jean felt the sensation Rogue projected and wrinkled her nose. "Waaaait, so you really think that? I mean, like, I totes worry I might do a Rachel someday, but I can't run away from it."

Rogue: "If Ah'm not here, people're safer. Not only does trouble seem t' follow me, but mah powers ain't a danger if they aren't close enough t' touch." Rogue shrugged one shoulder. "Been that way f'r a long time."

Jean: "But... what about the good that you can do with your powers? Like protecting the president, and the X-Men, not just now, but for years? You're saying everyone would be better off without you?"

Rogue: "Th' powers that help me protect are Carol's. Th' powers that nearly got all o' y'all killed when Ah became Essex are mine. Y' have Carol now, y' don't need me when y' have her. An' she'd prob'ly love it if Ah left. Then she could fuck Bobby all she wanted."

Jean: "Your sucky powers are helpful too though. Like if you had my teke? ...I wonder if you'd get the bird too?!" Jean's eyes widened as her brain went into a full dive into that rabbit hole, then screeched to a halt. Her head whipped back to face Rogue so hard her hair nearly hit her in the face. "Carol fucked Bobby?!"

Rogue: "She decided t' ply him with alcohol since he was sad an' thought it wouldn't be so bad if she joined him." Rogue took a shuddering breath and clenched her jaw, trying to not let her emotions get the better of her.

Jean: "Oooooof." She sucked in her lower lip at the torrent of emotions radiating off her now. Rage, jealousy, sadness... it was a lot. She let her lip go with a pop. "That's messed up."

Rogue: Rogue nodded and swiped at her eye as an angry tear fell. "Fuck 'em both," she murmured through a tight throat. "She put me through a wall when Ah needed her t' be mah friend an' didn't even give me time t' think 'bout how t' tell Tony 'fore she was off tellin' his best friend t' come threaten me an' nearly ruined everything. An' Bobby..."

Rogue: Rogue took in a slow, shaky breath, fighting the tears still. "Bobby won't wanna have a family with me that ain't his."

Jean: "But... you're going to have a family? Right? With Tony Stark?" She reached across the table while a box of tissues floated from the counter to the table. "So, like you said, right? Fuck'em both."

Rogue: Her chest was tight and her heart felt like it was being squeezed in a vice. She took a tissue from the box and shook her head, failing at not crying this time. "But it's Bobby," she managed to get out. "Bugsy."

Jean: "Okay, so... what if he comes around, but says because of the baby or whatever that you can't be together. Would you just stay with Tony? Or run away and leave them both?"

Rogue: "Ah'd run," she said without hesitation, then clenched her hand over her stomach. "Ah'd take Tony with me. Ah couldn't be near Bobby anymore." Saying it made her feel sick and she took a slow breath to try and get past it.

Jean: "You'd really run- oh. Well, with Tony's money running would be easy." And fun! But she wasn't gonna say that when Rogue was so upset. "You'd quit the team and just go off somewhere with Tony and mini Tony?"

Rogue: Rogue shrugged and wiped her nose with the tissue. "No point t' stay at that point. An' it would just make Bobby hurt more every time we saw each other." Not to mention her.

Jean: "Well, I'd miss you," she said, lower lip popping out again. Jean sighed and then took another sip of her cooling coffee. "So are you going to try to talk to him? Bobby, I mean. I assume you're talking to Tony..."

Rogue: That surprised her and she blinked the drops from her lashes as she looked up at Jean. "Y' would? We don't hang out... Ever." Rogue twitched her nose and looked down again. "Ah dunno. Ain't sure what Ah'd say. 'Sorry Ah'm miraculously pregnant, which is somethin' Ah always wanted, with another man's baby, even though y' only want me t' help raise y' pre-baked ones'?"

Jean: "Okay, you keep saying pre-baked... and it's really fucking confusing." Jean's nose wrinkled up. "What in the world does that mean?" She tapped her nails on the cup, enjoying the sound. "And sure, I'd miss you. We never really got the chance to get to know each other much, but you always seemed cool, so maybe we should have."

Rogue: "That's what Bobby called Ripley an' Zachary when Ah asked if he'd wanna have kids with me... He said he had some that'd already been 'pre-baked'..." Rogue rubbed at her face and shook her head. "Y're prob'ly better off, sugah."

Jean: "Oh, ew, he called his kids pre-baked?" She wasn't sure how she felt about that, because she just pictured muffins. Mmm. Muffins. She was gonna have to ask Jess to teach her to make those! "Hey, you're not very nice to yourself, you know?"

Rogue: "That's his sense o' humor... Goes along with th' 'have a bun in th' oven' sayin'." Rogue arched an eyebrow. "It's th' truth. It's dangerous t' get too close t' me. Everybody gets hurt'r dies." Except Bobby.

Jean: "It can't be everybody," she frowned, then shrugged. "I'm picturing muffins and I wanna learn to bake them now." She took another sip and thought this over. "Did you ever think that maybe things just happen and instead of realizing it's circumstance you blame yourself?"

Rogue: "Cody, Remy, Vic, Lorna, Rachel, Sam, Carol." Rogue blinked at her. Muffins? "Ah c'n teach y', if y' want. Or y' c'n ask somebody else. Just don't ask Carol. She's as bad as Rae was with cookin'."

Jean: "Jess has been teaching me sometimes." She blinked at the blink. "Okay who is Remy? And Cody? And isn't Vic that evil cat guy who made me run an obstacle course at the old nuthouse? He seemed plenty alive and fine. I know Rachel died because of Hydra, so totes not your fault. And didn't Bobby's wife die in that attack too?"

Rogue: "Cody was th' first boy Ah ever kissed. He's still in a coma. Remy was mah best friend f'r a long time. So was Vic. They're both alive, but Ah hurt 'em pretty bad. Ah'm not sayin' Ah killed Rae an' Lorna. But they're dead just th' same."

Jean: "But their deaths had nothing to do with knowing you? Okay that Cody kid got a rough deal, but things happen when our powers first manifest. And Carol is alive and okay? Even though you have her powers, she's still got them too."

Rogue: "Except that she doesn't remember anythin' from b'fore Ah put her in a coma. Which isn't normally how mah powers work, but mah powers also don't let me keep others normally either." Rogue made a face. "Whose life did you ruin when y' first got y'rs?"

Jean: "Maybe because she's an alien?" Jean was still half convinced she might be an alien too. "I ruined my own. I got empathy first so I started feeling things that weren't my emotions and it nearly drove me crazy. My parents tried drugs and therapy and everything, and then I started hearing people's thoughts too..."

Rogue: "An' now y' happy, so at least that didn't turn out so bad." Rogue put her hands around the now room temperature mug and ran her thumb along the lip. "Ah know too much 'bout too many people 'cause o' mah powers. Mah shields work backwards it feels like."

Jean: "I learned to shield from Rachel. Telepaths without shields don't last long because we know everything about everyone within range. All those thoughts and feelings and secrets just flood you and you lose yourself." Jean shuddered.

Rogue: "Ah didn't learn how. They just came with th' whole package. They keep th' psyches in as much as they keep th' telepaths out." Rogue laughed, only a little bitterly. "Ah know all 'bout losin' y'self. Don't ever dive int' Essex's mind unless y' damn sure y' gonna get out safe."

Jean: "Well isn't he dead? So no problem there." She made a face. "I know Rachel was plenty freaked out by him and he fucked her up good." Jean shrugged. "Maybe that's the only difference between me and her? I never had to deal with anything like Essex. Just brainwashing."

Rogue: "Essex never dies. Ah only killed his body. B'cause he wanted me to." She arched an eyebrow, "Arcade was like a mini-Essex, just... less physical experiments."

Jean: Jean just blink-blinked at that, because when his body was dead he was dead, right? "Arcade turned our powers off and fucked around with our heads... he made me lose the baby because he wanted to keep me as his personal toy." Her hand fell to her stomach.

Rogue: It was Rogue's turn to reach across the table. "Ah'm so sorry... Nobody should hafta go through that pain, especially not at th' hands o' someone so evil."

Jean: She sniffled and reached to take Rogue's hand. "Thanks. I totes would have taken toddlerfication. Murder world was not fun."

Rogue: "Ah wish Ah could sayin' bein' a toddler was horrible, too, but Ah got snacks, naps, an' had th' president snuggle me an' Bobby t'gether." She gave a sad smile, "Think we c'n make that happen again?"

Jean: "By the way, there was an evil robot toddler version of you that attacked me and Tandy." She gave Rogue a watery grin and used her free hand to wipe at her cheeks again. "I'm afraid Jamie took care of Arcade for good."

Rogue: "There.... What?" Rogue blinked at her. "A robot toddler version o' me? Dang, Ah'm sorry f'r mah evil robot self." She squeezed Jean's hand, "Ah know. Ah know he did. Once y' do that with y' powers on accident, it's kinda hard t' get past. He doin' okay?"

Jean: "Yup, we were in a carnival ride and you and the other X-Men were the animatronics... aaaand then you tried to kill us." She giggled, then sighed and sobered. "He's... dealing. We both are. Kinda."

Rogue: "Ah've still not really come t' terms with mah doin' it on accident. It was Carol. Ah thought Ah'd killed her. Ah was a kid, Ah got scared, an' Ah ran." Rogue tried a small smile, "It'll get easier, though. An' Ah'd think it helps that he was tryin' t' keep you safe an' succeeded. Even if it wasn't how he wanted t' do it."

Jean: "Yeah... he's terrified he's gonna do it again, particularly to me, even though we've never ever had any problems before, so he's wearing an inhibitor all the time." Jean swallowed and sniffed again, this time thinking of Jamie and that coat.

Rogue: Rogue looked down at her own inhibitor and took a slow breath, then nodded. "Yeah. Ah've got those problems, too. F'r someone who has t' have as much security as Tony, he's sure lovin' livin' with someone who's more dangerous t' him on accident than somebody on purpose..."

Jean: Jean shrugged one shoulder. "Love makes it worth the risk." She was sure of that much for her and Jamie, and maybe it worked for the president too.

Rogue: "He talked me int' touchin' him recently." She smiled again. "He wanted t' prove he wasn't scared. An' a li'l bit wantin' t' see what happened." Rogue shrugged, "It didn't work out like he'd hoped. But at least he's okay."

Jean: Jean grinned at the smile. "Aawww, see? It's worth it for him, too, then. He loves you and he trusts you or he wouldn't have let you touch him at all."

Rogue: Rogue's cheeks flushed with the joy she felt in hearing that out loud from someone who knew the entire story, including Bobby. "Tony's somethin' else. He's accepted th' parts o' me that even Bobby struggles with. An' accepts other things that Ah struggle with. Ah don't understand it."

Jean: "D'aaawwww, you're totes blushing! That's adorable!" Jean clapped her hands lightly in excitement, then wrapped them back around the cooling mug. "That's love! It's crazy!" She thought about this for a moment.

Jean: "It sounds like, to me, that you should stick with Tony." Once she'd said it, she nodded. It sounded right. "Maybe the time never was going to be right with Bobby? Maybe that it's so hard is a red flag?"

Rogue: That made her frown, both from upset at the thought being vocalized and the sick feeling it gave her. "But it's always been Bobby... He's th' only one who's never left me. He's chased me when Ah've run. Nobody else has. ...Ever."

Jean: "So you don't think Tony would?" She cocked her head, confused. "And... didn't you say Bobby's having a wiggins? Maybe he's the one running now?"

Rogue: "Ah... Ah'm not sure. Ah think he'd probably do what Remy did an' think that Ah needed space an' would come home eventually." Rogue chewed on her lower lip and looked down at the table, eyes tracing the grain in the wood. "Y' really think he's runnin'?"

Jean: "I don't know, but he's not not running, from what you've said." Her nose wrinkled. "You really don't think Tony Stark would go after you? After he made you his official girlfriend and bought you a house and you said he wants to marry you?"

Rogue: "Now that Ah'm pregnant, sure. Ah've got his kid. B'fore, though? Ah ain't sure. Ah don't think he'd enjoy waitin', but Ah think he'd think Ah just needed space." She shrugged one shoulder. "He's not known me long 'nough t' know when Ah run, Ah plan t' stay gone." Not that it's ever worked out that way except when her powers first manifested, but it was always her goal.

Jean: Jean shook her head. "No offense, but I think that urge to run every time something goes wrong is therapy-worthy. I speak from total experience here."

Rogue: "It ain't every time somethin' goes wrong. It's..." Rogue stopped and frowned, trying to put it into words. "It's when things ain't safe. Or when things're goin' perfectly right f'r everybody around me. Ah don't wanna be th' other shoe that drops, so Ah take mahself outta th' equation."

Jean: "Wow." Jean was still shaking her head. "Like, I can relate, sort of, but, aaaas I already said, you are totally not nice to yourself. Maybe having you around is part of what's going perfectly right for everyone?"

Rogue: Rogue looked at Jean for a long moment, confused. She'd not thought of it that way before. But if that were the case... "If Ah weren't dumb 'nough t' kiss Bobby he'd still be married."

Jean: "From what I heard from Jamie that was a pretty rocky road before you came into the equation, but okay, still. I'm just saying I've spent all of an hour with you and I can totes tell you're waaaaay too rough on yourself."

Rogue: She shrugged again. "Maybe. Maybe not. Still doesn't help mah current situation any. Ah came here hopin' y'd have answers 'bout the senator an' we've turned it int' a drama session at th' hair salon."

Jean: "Yeah... that's all I've got on that senator. She's crazy, but not crazy, you know? Evil, maybe. Dark, for sure. Maaaaaybe a closet mutant, because that's an awful lot to have going on in a normal head."

Rogue: Rogue grumbled a little and made a face. "Nothin' in mah life c'n be easy right now, can it? Everythin' has t' happen all at once."

Jean: "Maybe just stay away from her? Of course you said you met her before and nothing weird happened other than her hitting on your man, so maybe it was a fluke?"

Rogue: "Maybe. Maybe it was somebody else, even? That could be a possibility, right?" Rogue knew it was a small one, but she hoped it would be true.

Jean: "I mean, sure, that's possible. Maybe she's the evil mastermind and she had a mutant flunkie with her who was doing the voodoo?"

Rogue: "'Course, why would y'all've felt th' weird stuff from her brain then, if that were th' case?"

Jean: "Evil mastermind? I don't know. I didn't sense any other active telepaths there, but sometimes if you're good you can mask yourself. I could." She shrugged.

Rogue: Rogue nodded and took a breath, accepting that for now. "So long as y' not abnormally worried. This is y' area o' expertise, so Ah'll leave it t' you.”

Jean: "Oh, she's scary as shit, but if she's just a normal human other than backing Osborn and voting for horrible shit there's not a lot she can do."

Rogue: "Good." Rogue put her hand on her abdomen and nodded again. "Good." She met Jean's eyes and gave her a small smile. "At least that's one problem taken care of. Now all Ah gotta worry 'bout is lovin' two men more'n life itself. No biggie, right?"