12/30 Announcement: Nightscrawlers's New Year!

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

The Nightscrawlers staff and administration is very pleased to announce that for this new year, we're going to be able to do what we've wanted to do for a very long time: move the forum to a new platform!

There's a lot to be said for Nightscrawler's current platform (XMB), but its development has been somewhat stagnant of late, and we're no longer getting exciting, cutting-edge features. Our new platform (phpBB) is the most actively developedforum platform on the Internet. For an idea of some of the features it has to offer, please see here.

We obviously want to make this transition as easy as possible; we've spent literally months testing the data conversion necessary and making sure everything down to the last avatar, post icon, and smiley is transferred to the new forum. We've designed a theme for the new forum that's as familiar as possible yet accommodates all of its functionality.

And now we'd like you to take a look! The preview is available here! It is fully functional, but please be aware that any changes and posts you make will not be transferred over to this forum and they may be overwritten at any time. Please feel free to post any comments, questions, or concerns here; we invite nitpicking. We want the new platform to be as great an experience going forward as possible. :)

Happy New Year!

-HoodedMan
on behalf of the Nightscrawlers staff and administration
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Giving you the reminder since you told me to in chat. :P

tears: I find the avatar/username/etc thing to be strange on the right as well. I'm thinking it's mainly because you generally read from left to right, and it's a bit distracting on the right.
tears: otherwise, I don't really have anything that sticks out to me
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Using this thread as an example, I'm gonna say that perhaps there might need to be a bigger difference between the shades of blue in the text box and the quote box?

Also, reading left to right is great and normal and wonderful and the user info on the right really just throws me for a loop.

I think the only other site I've seen that on was [adultswim]. And it bothered me like heck over there.

Other than that, love it!
GOOD JOB!

[Edited on 31/12/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Per user input, I have removed limits on private messages; we may institute them again later, but for now there's no real reason to do so at the moment.

I have also changed the profile to be on the left and body on the right for posts, as consensus was quite clear on that. :P

Known Issues: (I will keep this updated)
Custom titles were transferred as... interests. Well, that's cute.

[Edited on 12/31/11 by HoodedMan]
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Woohoo! You never cease to be amazing, HM! :bounce

I really love the new design; it looks quite a bit more modern. Almost Star Treky... *nerds*
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

It's stunning. I love phpBB's features so I'm so excited to see us on the move.

-e
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Post by Svartfreja »

On behalf of El who wants to send yummies for all the hard work and can't remember her login:

:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

okay, only saw now this thread, hope this isn't too late.

the section's links and their descriptions, it's just too much the same colour in my opinion, for a second I was unsure where to cliick.

for example,

Nightcrawler
All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!

the link you have to click is Nightcrawler, but on my screen its colour is the same as the description part, and the size is very similiar. Just a little confusing at first glance. Maybe just make the topic/thread/section links a different colour from the descriptions?

edit:spelling

[Edited on 1/1/2012 by steyn]
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

steyn wrote:the section's links and their descriptions, it's just too much the same colour in my opinion, for a second I was unsure where to cliick.
You're right; "Nightcrawler" should be the same yellow color all the other links are (both on XMB and phpBB). I'll try to do this tonight and see what people think.

Thanks!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

I have finally gotten off my ass and fixed the above issue.

I have at least one report that users are unable to get past the login screen in Safari. Can anyone reproduce this?

Thanks,
-HM
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'm using Chrome but lemme bring up Safari and try it out.

==Edit==

Logged in, had no problems whatsoever. Used both this account and the Game Admin to test it.

[Edited on 4/1/12 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

I'm using firefox and I must say you did a great job setting it up to look exactly like the old forum. The only thing that strikes me is the smaller size of the letters used. I find them slightly (just slightly, no biggie) harder to read. Also, some of the posting options offered (flash, glow, shadow) do not seem to work, but it is debatable if we actually need these.
Otherwise fantastic job!

[Edited on 4-1-2012 by Elwing]
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

I'm using safari and I had no troubles. I do get logged out every time I close the window, which is annoying.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

@JSherlock: When you log in, are you selecting "Log me on automatically each visit"?
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Update

Post by HoodedMan »

Hey all,

I suppose we've gotten as much input as we're going to get at this point. So I'm going to tentatively schedule moving to the new platform a week from now, or we're never going to move at all. The forum will be down from 9:30 p.m. EST - 10:30 p.m. EST on Monday, January 23rd, 2012, after which the new platform will be the one in use at http://www.nightscrawlers.com/forum/.

It's currently planned that all URLs that worked under the old platform (viewthread.php?tid=xxx, etc.) will be redirected to work under the new platform, even though topic IDs will be different. We'll be continuing to solicit input on how everything is working after we have moved.

Cheers!
-HM
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Thank you for all your work, HM!

I agree -- we may as well go ahead and then do the clean-up from the moving crew. I'm sure we'll lose a box or two. ;)
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Slarti wrote:I agree -- we may as well go ahead and then do the clean-up from the moving crew. I'm sure we'll lose a box or two. ;)
Well, hopefully not. That's what I've been trying to prevent with all the preparation. :)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: 12/30 Announcement: Nightscrawlers's New Year!

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Not sure if this is related, but I'm assuming it is.

Chat appears to be down. This could also just be me. If it is, feel free to u2u me.

Am trying to connect from school if that means anything, but it's never (and I mean never) been a problem before. Used to be for Marvelus chat though. Different PORT however.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

It's not related. Are you connecting using Java? java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused indicates either the server's completely down (which it's not; there are six people online currently) or your local network is blocking you from accessing the server.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Strange, 'cause that has never been a problem here before. I'll check and see if I can make it work. Thanks HM.