Uncanny X-force Thread

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Re: Uncanny X-force Thread

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I didn't get into it in the beginning, and I don't feel like throwing down 100 bucks to catch up. I know it's off topic, but how are the bamfs in that series?
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Haven't been too relevant in the last couple issues, but Aaron promises their relevance is going to be illuminated soon.

Thus far though? They've been outstandingly hilarious. I would say it's well worth the "$100 bucks" (it's actually roughly $45.00 in three combined trades, if the 3rd is even out yet).
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

What makes it so good? I don't get the appeal... Another Wolverine centric title... whoop dee doo.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Dazy wrote:I second that. WatXM is my favorite title out there right now.
Even if #18 nearly made me cry for several reasons.
Seconded on both counts. I was really starting to like that character, too. Dammit. Why is it always the ones I like?! :cry
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

May I third Wolvie & the X-men? That shit is awesome. As for X-force, bought it for a while, gave up...Sorry.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Dazy
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dazy »

WatXM isn't really even about Wolverine. It's a lot like New X-Men (from what I've heard, I never read New X-Men so I can't comment much) but it focuses most on the main kids, Quentin Quire, Idie, Broo, Kubark, Evan, though the last several issues have been more on the teachers because of AvX.

Also, friggin Kindergarten Hellfire Club. (Okay so they're probably in like, 6th grade, but I'm keeping that name for them. xD) Terrifying little brats.

As for the Bamfs, they're apparently not actual Bamfs, as commented on by giant alien guy in issue 6 or 7, I think, but close enough. What are they? We just don' know. But yeah, they're pretty awesome. I love everything about that title.

also, if you don't want to spend money, there's always thepiratebay if you don't mind pirating things. I'd definitely suggest getting the trades though.

OKAY my plug is done, back to UXF. x__x
Last edited by Dazy on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I had to hold my hand over the screen or look down while typing this.

Please warn others if you're going to mention spoilers, please? Others may not have read the issue yet.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Hey guys, let's keep the WatXM talk to that thread, and definitely keep anything potentially spoilery to that thread and marked as such.

Thanks.
Dazy
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dazy »

Nothing was actually spoiled but I edited that sentence out anyway. Yeah, back to UXF...

So apparently the Fantobabe's name is Cluster, so I've heard. Well last name, anyway. It being a clone isn't ruled out, since I think Weapon XIV was also a Cluster. Though I can't remember if that was even a clone, it's been a while since I've read New X-Men.

Anyone hear any juicy rumors or anything about the Cable and X-Force title? I haven't heard anything about that.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Yeah, we know Fantomex was referred to as Uncle Cluster by Evan on several occasions, so we can assume EVA (or whatever she is) is also a Cluster.

UXF 33: Why has no one come on here and discussed the badassery of Darkholme in his revenge against the Blob?! I don't want to spoil it if you haven't picked up the book yet, but Ahhh! So kick ass! Alot goes down in the comic, and I think they are going to go out with a bang.

UXF 34: Saw the preview. A very shocking turn of events for Kurt, but not completely unexpected. Also, Daken is trying to Kill Wolverine and we find out the state of Betsy's mind. All in a three page sneak peek!

Now, about Cable and X-Force: I know really nothing about it. But Colossus on the team is a nice twist, considering his recent trip to the dark side as part of the Pheonix Five. I have never been a huge X-Force fan. Not sure if I want to pick up this title or not... Although (side note) Rob Liefeld said when I come to SDCC in July, he will definately sign my copy of X-Force 1 (And maybe 2).
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:
UXF 33: Why has no one come on here and discussed the badassery of Darkholme in his revenge against the Blob?! I don't want to spoil it if you haven't picked up the book yet, but Ahhh! So kick ass! Alot goes down in the comic, and I think they are going to go out with a bang.

UXF 34: Saw the preview. A very shocking turn of events for Kurt, but not completely unexpected. Also, Daken is trying to Kill Wolverine and we find out the state of Betsy's mind. All in a three page sneak peek!
I'll mark it and leave lots of space before I put anything spoiler-ish.Yes, Kurt was bad ass in UXF 33. It would've been nice if the scene got more than two pages, as it's been building for months, but otherwise good.

UXF 34 preview

POTENTIAL SPOILER !!!!!!!!!

It seems if EVA kills him they wouldn't show it in the preview. He appeared to teleport away bleeding and, in comics, that seems kind of an invitation into limbo if nothing further is shown. I also would rather see the character have to live with what he's become rather than throw in a death that doesn't add to the story.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I agree that he should have gotten more than two pages. The struggle to attack Blob could have been drawn out, but really, with the way he pulled it off, it doesn't need a ton of elaboration.

In regards to the 34 preview [SPOILER ALERT], Killing off the character is the easy way out. They could do so much more with him! Honestly, I think he will survive, but that chest wound is pretty gnarly. I think, with the Age of Apocalype ongoing, Kurt's return may be a big plot point and my boost sales of that particular book, even though I am not a huge fan of that title. Kurt should live with it and grow from it, but hey... only time will tell.
Dazy
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dazy »

Am I the only one who thought his revenge was REALLY lame in 33?

SPOILERS

Yeah, uhg, no. He didn't even kill Blob himself.
First of all, a shark wouldn't just start eating, it'd probably be flopping around wondering what the fuck is going on, and ultimately die because it can't move or breathe.
Why didn't he just go inside Blob HIMSELF and stab him?
There was no flashback to Linda, no further diving into that relationship besides some boxes that had his thoughts, which sounded pretty damn flat to be honest, for someone who's been chasing Blob for how many years?
Maybe it's the art, because the expressions are seriously so...weird. Neutral. Unnatural. Straight-on. It was just all really unsatisfying. All this buildup for what, maybe twelve panels? Seriously?
I am disappoint.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

SPOILERS

It seems like Remender dropped the ball on the character, in favour of focusing on Wolverine/Daken -- not a real surprise. All the "development" Darkholme received was done via internal dialogue or a tell type of story-telling, rather than showing anything. It, to me anyway, would have brought the point home more just to have maybe one panel of Darkholme remembering putting the ring on her finger or something, rather than just stating it. The shark seemed just a horror touch. I mean, I kind of knew, as soon as it was said that Blob ate his wife, that Darkholme would eventually kill Blob from the inside out, but I'd pictured swords or maybe that trick from the old Amazing Spiderman issue of a teleporter exploding someone by teleporting inside them (interesting issue, btw, if you've never read it -- Kurt W helped them investigate the crime.
Anyway, Darkholme has effectively hit rock bottom and become like that which he hates, or professed to hate -- AoA Bobby. From here, I'd really like to see someone explore things with Mystique or do a follow up, and see if the character can come to terms with the decisions he's made and why he made them. I don't know that I can see him being redeemed effectively, but maybe he shouldn't be. Darkholme -- to me anyway -- has been presented as a very Mystique like character from the original AoA arc. Maybe that's the route to go. It also wouldn't interfere should Marvel ever decide to return the original (as if). Beast and Dark Beast co-existed in the main U for a long time.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well at least it's something new.
Newsarama spoke with Age of Apocalypse writer David Lapham about his role in the upcoming Marvel crossover X-Termination, and the other writers involved — Astonishing X-Men's Marjorie Liu and X-Treme X-Men's Greg Pak — have also gone on record about the story, which details the Age of Apocalypse's Nightcrawler's quest to flee the classic Marvel Universe and return to his home reality. Over at CBR, Liu discussed the central roles Wolverine and AoA Nightcrawler (recently seen in Uncanny X-Force) play in the story, saying, "These are two very passionate individuals who once they set their mind on something, that's it. That is it. The conflict between them, because their motives are very different — they're not bad guys individually — but their motives are so different that resolving this is going to require, I think especially on Nightcrawler's part, a real journey of self, self-exploration and conscience."

Liu also hinted that X-Termination will have major repercussions on Astonishing X-Men, "for one character in particular."

... Interesting...
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So UXF is over. At least Remender's UXF is over. The last issue is very good. It ties up some loose ends. Explains where Lady Fantomex comes from. Closure for most main characters. However, AoA Nightcrawler makes no appearance, leading me to believe it is not time for closure for the character. The last time we see him in this series is when he saves Mystique from Evan and says they are not needed in that place anymore. Where did they go? We will find out soon...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have to say, the lines from Deadpool were really just...

tremendous. I have never liked Deadpool more than at that moment.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Yes, he was still himself, but wow... goofy and vulgar are fun, but those three pages were outstanding. Major kudos to Remender for including a deep Deadpool moment.
Dazy
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dazy »

SPOILERS in case anyone hasn't read yet--

I personally don't like that Fantomex is split. He loses his reaction time and he's a lot more vulnerable now. It's interesting, but I'm afraid he might lose some of his flavor. I dunno, guess we'll have to find out.
But given that Cluster/Fantobabe is the part of him that drove Fantomex (if Fantobabe is Cluster, the dark one is Jean-Phillipe, does that mean regular Fant is Charlie?) then does that mean the next X-Force will be more...heroic, I suppose? Given that Betsy left her sword on Genosha in the last one and Storm doesn't kill, I can't imagine it's going to be another assassin squad.
If it is, I'm stomping my hat into the ground in frustration.

Given the title of the issue, it begs the question as to how much of it was real, and how much was a misdirection. Personally, I think Fantomama (Mother? I don't know her actual name. Mamma Cluster) was an illusion. Then again, one really has to wonder if she was ever real at all, and is perhaps what Fant uses for comfort. A coping mechanism, if you will. Fantomex is always going to be a mystery.
Where did Jean-Phillipe go? Are they going to chase after him next? I friggin hope so, because Jean vs Fants sounds like a great fight right there.

But....they never did tell us what happened to Ultimaton.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Concur, 100%, with all of the above statements.

The last few panels threw me for a loop. I hate when a story ends like that. But... this time it made sense to do it that way.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

The whole thing with Fantomex leaves me with one question: What about EVA? o.O
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »