Java chat is busted again...Java 7 update 7 the cause?

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Java chat is busted again...Java 7 update 7 the cause?

Post by Elwing »

Hello,
I'm having problems with the Java chat again. It's difficult to log in, and when logged in it is no longer possible to paste text in the text entry bar, and it is not possible to click links. I have tried to roll back java to an earlier version, but this is impossible.
I'm not sure if I am the only one experiencing these problems.
Thanks for your time.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Java chat is busted again...Java 7 update 7 the cause?

Post by Elwing »

Halp?
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

I haven't tested the chat with Java 7 update 7 but it's possible that caused the problem. Can you try in another browser that might have a different version? I can test this when I get home from work.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

I have tried installing earlier versions, but Firefox won't have anything to do with them. So I'm stuck with 7.7. For now I'm using pidgin. I will try chrome and explorer, if you have a moment.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

okay, in Chrome I have no luck at all. I enter nick/pass/email, then I am asked to confirm the use of java, and after that I get a white screen. Tried refreshing a few times, no luck I'm afraid.

In IEXP even logging in is hard, because the white boxes for nick and password show up, but the box for email adress is invisible. But you still have to enter an email adress to use it. The java module shows it's loading graphic, and then I get a white screen. Tried refreshing, no luck.

In Firefox I am not asked for a mail adress. I do again get a white screen. Though I found that yesterday after several refreshings and a lot of waiting I did get on the chat eventually. But with many functions missing.

This computer, by the way, runs windows 7 home premium, version 6.1.

Please let me know if you need more information, and as always, thank you for the effort you put into this.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

I found that after a long wait I was logged in in IEXP. And now also in Firefox, but kicked out because of too many connections.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

I'm glad you were able to get in using Internet Explorer and Firefox; I'm still baffled by what Chrome could be doing that would just cause a blank white screen. Maybe I'll catch you in chat sometime and we can do some more in-depth debugging.

Edit: Also, I have not been able to reproduce the problem with e-mail addresses under Internet Explorer. An e-mail address is only required if you're registering a new username and password, in which case it appears correctly. What version of Internet Explorer are you using?
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Anyone who can't load Java chat, I have created http://chat.nightscrawlers.com/iris. I'm going to mark this issue as resolved.

Thanks, all! Feel free to open another topic if there's any issue with Iris.

-HoodedMan
Technical Administrator