Anyone else think that the Decimation should be retconned?

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that the 98% of Mutants that lost their powers should get them back? And what if Millions of mutants did get powers, but not all of them were mutants before the Decimation in the first place?

I always hate it when comic book writers think that there are too many characters, and they decide to kill them off, or make them non-existant, or even in this case, act like they never existed.

Some of my favourite Mutants got de-powered, but that isn't the problem. The problem is that Marvel no longer cares for the characters that were once mutants. Non of the X-Men tried to comfort them, they just sent them home, living a boring, dull, human life, that no-one cares about, and we'll probably never see them again.

The only thing some de-powered guys got to do was New Warriors V4, but since then, what have they done? Are they Heroes, or do they just keep the Techno suits in storage?

[Edited on 22/6/10 by Blob55]

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I think it was a desperately needed attempt to downsize a way too-large breed of people. It's one thing to have a lot of super heroes at your disposal, but when a growing population of a planet is all supers? Gets a smidge ridiculous.

You actually will see quite a few over time, Jubilee for instance is returning very shortly. Fraction also mentioned to expect Jono soon.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, I happen to be one of those people that agree that there were WAY too many mutants. Part of the burden of being a mutant was suppose to be that they were different from the rest of humanity. That doesn't really apply when mutants are bursting out of every crevice. I preferred it when it I could list the only living mutants on a standard sheet of lined paper. As is stood before, I'd need at least a novel sized bundle of paper just to get everyone listed.

However, I think it's pretty crappy of one writer to suddenly decide that they have the right to completely scrap the hard work of other writers.

I think that with every writer that comes through, they have the temptation to add their own characters in the hopes that they will have a lasting effect on the X-universe. It's sort of like US politics. A president appoints federal judges that keep accordance with their own views, that way, even when that president is no longer in office, he still has influence. Haha, sorry that was so wordy, but I couldn't think of a better way to say it. :rolleyes

Ultimately we just need writers to stop adding characters all the time. I had a very hard time keeping up with everyone. Oftentimes, I'd find myself looking at a character and thinking "Who's that?"
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

However, I think it's pretty crappy of one writer to suddenly decide that they have the right to completely scrap the hard work of other writers.
That's now how this works.

Most of the time, it's an editor-team. At the least, a team of writers, who propose an idea.

I'm pretty sure this decision, specifically, may have been executive.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

Oh, haha. That was poorly worded on my part. I did know that, but what I was getting at was that I think it's bad form for them to let the character situation get so out of hand that they feel the need to destroy what could have ultimately just been prevented. :D
Blue_Collar_Nerd
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Blue_Collar_Nerd »

I for one fully support the idea of retconning the last decade. On the Comic Book Resources forums, I've already wrote at length about what a wreck the X-books have become.

I posted that they should just cut their losses, throw up their arms, say "We fucked up! Sorry! Let's try that again" and pull a Bobby Ewing.

I was half joking, but the more I catch up on what happened during my nearly decade long comic book sobriety, the more I think it's a good idea.

In fact, I don't even want to see them try to “explain it” using time travel, alternate dimensions, pocket universes, the Scarlet Witch, money consuming cross-overs or convoluted, tedious story lines involving the magical shit goblins of Alpha Centauri that even the writers of Lost would call, “BULLSHIT!” Nothing that would acknowledge these events as actually having occurred.

And NO MORE CROSSOVERS! Just because I like watching Burn Notice and Psyche! and they both happen to be on the USA Network, it doesn't mean I'd like to have to watch these shows back-to-back in order to follow the plot. And the fact that Howard the Duck shares the same universe as Frank Castle is a crime against humanity. Could you imagine going to a movie where Thomas Jane shares the same screen with that little George Lucas abomination?

[Edited on 22/6/10 by Blue_Collar_Nerd]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well that can easily be put on the writers before that one then. Or... more appropriately, on Joe Quesada for letting them get away with it.

TBH, Quesada is a mad man. And he gets away with, practically, murder. The man is--quite frankly--out of control.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Blue_Collar_Nerd wrote:
I posted that they should just cut their losses, throw up their arms, say "We fucked up! Sorry! Let's try that again" and pull a Bobby Ewing.
Ahem. Another geezer on the forum, methinks. Glad to see someone else is in the mood for a shower scene. :D
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

Hmm... Which Comic is Jubilee going to appear in? And What about the other people from New Warriors, like Beak?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Beak's gone. Long gone. Not coming back (hopefully).

Jubilee will be back in Uncanny come late August, sometime in September perhaps.

Jubilee appears to allowed herself to be bitten by a vampire in her desperation for powers.

also:
looks like Blade will be joining them. Image
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Short answer to the original question: No.

Decimation happened a few years back now, and it's pointless to just decide to wipe all of Marvel canon for a mulligan. They created the situation they're in now, and if they really worked at it they could create good stories with the existing universe.

It's fiction. It's malleable. That's the point.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

In the hands of good and dedicated writers, corporate that cares its properties, and an editorial staff that actually edits, I think Marvel could work some amazing alchemy with even the worst dross. If Marvel had all that, I wouldn't sweat Decimation too much.

But instead we have a few good writers who for whatever reason have been roped into making "creative" decisions by committee instead of writing their own stories. We have "editors" without any real editing experience- I'm looking at you, Joey Q! And we have corporate honchos who aren't minding the shop.

As a result, in my opinion, Marvel's been making a series of mistakes and then making things only worse in their attempts at correcting them. The expression that jumps to my mind is, "circling the drain." Therefore pulling a Bobby Ewing may be a quick way to break that cycle.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Okay, just imagine for a moment that they do pull a Bobby Ewing. Poof, it was all Wanda's crazy dream. Reboot! For every person overjoyed by that decision, there will be another who rails against it.

There's another expression for all this that comes to my mind -- you can't make everyone happy.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Beak's gone. Long gone. Not coming back (hopefully).
That's mean :( Beak is on of my favourite characters!! :mad
BTW, is there any chance of Tito joining the X-Men soon?

What really annoys me is that the writers decided that normal Humans can no longer give birth to Mutants (unless they marry one?), therefore killing any odds of there being any more than about 1 or 2 mutants (at the most) born a year, meaning that they will all soon die out within the next 100-200 Years.

Mutants being endangered is one thing, but destroying any chance of their survival is another. Why can't they just let the Depowered Mutants have a chance of giving birth to Mutants, therefore giving them a chance.

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Because they like incest! That's why! :cracked
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

steyn wrote:Because they like incest! That's why! :cracked
Not all Mutants will be releated, since there are 300 Mutants left, and if they all marry onther Mutants, that would then mean there are 150 families of Mutants, and they can then spread other families from there.

[Edited on 23/6/10 by Blob55]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

They will be in a hundred years.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

steyn wrote:They will be in a hundred years.
Read what I edited before. Incest only happenes if you marry your 1st-4th cousin, not if you happen to marry your 17th Cousin, because by then they'll be about as related to them as any normal Human.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

First off, I posted before you made your edit, second, it was a joke, no need to go into a long explanation why a joke can't happen. Plus with the rate mutants keep dying, who's to say there'll be 17 left in a hundred years?

Please take note that the last sentence was also a joke.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

I know you posted before my edit, that's why I said read it.
Also, humor is hard to read on the internet

Now I want some serious responses.

Oh, and that's why I said there won't be any left in 100-200 years, because their birth rate is realy poor, and they keep on being killed.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Okay, dude, chill out. You're not going to get 'serious responses' by copping an attitude.

Also, all this will most likely be a moot point since the whole "Second Coming" thing is supposedly the beginning of resolving the issue started in Decimation.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

Slarti wrote:Okay, dude, chill out. You're not going to get 'serious responses' by copping an attitude.
You also can't read how people feel on the internet, since I'm not being rude, and even though I may seem rude now, I don't mean anything by it.

And I hope that Wanda does something, since she screwed up really badly.

Plus I still think that making normal Humans stop giving birth to Mutants is a huge mistake.

[Edited on 23/6/10 by Blob55]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

I do agree on the humans not birthing mutants mistake. Not only does it keep the mutant population down, (I actually loved it back when there were thousands of mutants, so many that Xaviers looked like an actual school) but Marvel is also limiting the chances of new Superheroes. I really prefer a superhero from a normal family than one born in a family of supers.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I really prefer a superhero from a normal family than one born in a family of supers.
Incredibles comes to mind.

Wasn't the plot to make everyone a super so no one was unique or original anymore? Via technology, 'course. Everyone would be Tony Stark. YAY. -___-
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

Incredibles is an exception :shifty plus they never explained where the supers came from, they could have been born from normal families as well.