Dave on the X-men Again?

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Browsing throught the May solicits, I happened across this:
GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #3

Written by Joss Whedon, pencils and by Dave Cockrum, plus reprints by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Werner Roth.

In celebration of the 30th anniversary of 1975's Giant-Size X-Men #1 and #2 comes a colossal collection of the X-Men¹s greatest team-ups -- plus a brand-new untold tale of the All-New, All-Different X-Men by Joss Whedon and Dave Cockrum! The X-Men tangle with the FF in Fantastic Four #28 (July 1964), the Might Avengers guest-star in X-Men #9 (January 1964) and along comes a Spider-Man in X-Men #35 (August 1967),

80 pages, $4.99, in stores on May 25.
Don't know what, if anything, you're allowed to say about this- but at any rate, I can't wait to see this!
jafabian
Lubber
Lubber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by jafabian »

Boy, sure hope this is on the up-and-up. This should have been done a long time ago.
Beware the Sleestak
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I can't wait, I'm definately getting that:D:bamf
muchdrama
Lubber
Lubber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by muchdrama »

I was so excited I didn't even notice that Joss Whedon was writing the story....who cares?!? All I know is that Dave's drawing it and I'll be first in line to buy it.

P.S. Now if only my issue of the Dave Cockrum Uncanny Tribute that I ordered on February 9th would get here I'd be very happy indeed...:bamf
"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it." --Mark Twain
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Dark Bamf »

Nobody told me not to talk about it, so I'll tell what I know about it: I'm doing an eight page story, plus the cover. Or most of the cover, anyway. They're having John Cassaday ink it, plus pencil in--in lieu of the original X-Men--the Aston ishing X-Men, as the looming heads. They've also asked me to do an Avengers cover.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Dave on the X-men Again?

It will definately be cool to see you draw the X-men again.

Is that Avengers cover for New Avengers, or the flashback-style series (I think it's called Earth's Mightiest Heroes)?
muchdrama
Lubber
Lubber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by muchdrama »

Originally posted by Dark Bamf
Nobody told me not to talk about it, so I'll tell what I know about it: I'm doing an eight page story, plus the cover. Or most of the cover, anyway. They're having John Cassaday ink it, plus pencil in--in lieu of the original X-Men--the Aston ishing X-Men, as the looming heads. They've also asked me to do an Avengers cover.

That'll be great to see you doing the Avengers, Dave. I'll pick that up eagerly. Good luck!

Don
"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it." --Mark Twain
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Dark Bamf »

Originally posted by Nightcrawler ZERO
It will definately be cool to see you draw the X-men again.

Is that Avengers cover for New Avengers, or the flashback-style series (I think it's called Earth's Mightiest Heroes)?
I don't know anything at all about the Avangers cover, only that they asked me to do it.

--Atilla's Hunny
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Diablo »

Yeah, baby, yeah !!!! :eek

I knew you'd draw the X-Men again one day, Dave. :)
And Whedon is a very talented writer.

Can I ask : Which X-Men are you drawing ?
The "Astonishing" ones, like on the cover ??

(I can't hide I'd like to see YOUR Kurt again...) :bamf
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Diablo

(I can't hide I'd like to see YOUR Kurt again...) :bamf
DITTO!!
Although if it is the Astonishing team we will (hopefully) get to see DAVE do COLOSSUS again..:D !

B A M F !
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Paty »

:mags
I don't think they have actually sent Dave the script or synopsis, yet. and the Avengers thing is only the cover... nothing on the inside, to my knowledge.

Personally, although I like Whedon as a writer, I think they should have had either Len wein or Chris Claremont writing the story...a real blast from the past. Chris is, after all, writing the Uncanny X folk again and this, to me is a slap in his face...no offense meant to Whedon... it's just how marvel does things when they wanna be smarmy and are trying not to be noticed.

Why could n't it have been Chris? the premiere team togethdr again!!! What a PR thing that would have made! The people who originally revamped the X Men and made the franchise what it is today in large part. Stupid , stupid Marvel. Wouldn't know a good thing if they stumbled over it...cuz stumbling is all they do.

I hope it will be Dave's team, too... a story set back in "the Day...". that would be fun. Since Marvel is bound and determined to treat Claremont shabbily and not give him the recognition his stature in the biz deserves... I mean, after all if he hadn't spent seventeen years building the X empire, Marvel wouldn't have this lucrative franchise to play with, now would they?...I will be mollified somewhat with the fact that at least they picked a good writer for Dave to be partnered with. If we can't have Chris, I will be interested to see what Whedon comes up with...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Paty »

OK... forgot to add this... Don, where did you order the Tribute book from? A distributer or Aardwolf? Just curious...I have been told that all the Aardwolf orders have been filled and mailed out. The comics shops should have gotten their shipments long ago. Since you are in Florida, here in the US, I cannot imagine why you haven't gotten yours.
Now, I do know that it sold out it's print run... and cannot be reordered... so if your local shop didn't order it the first time, they probably can't at this point. but the people at Aardwolf told me that if I heard of anyone who had ordered from them and hadn't gotten their copy, that i was to let them know immediately.
so, wherefrom you waiting for a copy? If It's fromAardwolf, email me your addy and info and I will do what I can to see that this is taken care of. OK? my email addy:

magnetorampant@yahoo.com

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
CylverSaber
Lubber
Lubber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by CylverSaber »

Originally posted by Paty
I don't think they have actually sent Dave the script or synopsis, yet. and the Avengers thing is only the cover... nothing on the inside, to my knowledge.

Personally, although I like Whedon as a writer, I think they should have had either Len wein or Chris Claremont writing the story...a real blast from the past. Chris is, after all, writing the Uncanny X folk again and this, to me is a slap in his face...no offense meant to Whedon... it's just how marvel does things when they wanna be smarmy and are trying not to be noticed.

Why could n't it have been Chris? the premiere team togethdr again!!! What a PR thing that would have made! The people who originally revamped the X Men and made the franchise what it is today in large part. Stupid , stupid Marvel. Wouldn't know a good thing if they stumbled over it...cuz stumbling is all they do.

I hope it will be Dave's team, too... a story set back in "the Day...". that would be fun. Since Marvel is bound and determined to treat Claremont shabbily and not give him the recognition his stature in the biz deserves... I mean, after all if he hadn't spent seventeen years building the X empire, Marvel wouldn't have this lucrative franchise to play with, now would they?...I will be mollified somewhat with the fact that at least they picked a good writer for Dave to be partnered with. If we can't have Chris, I will be interested to see what Whedon comes up with...

Paty
I'm just happy that they're giving Dave his time in the sun again, and given how popular Whedon is, this pairing can only be a good thing. Hopefully it will lead to more assignments for Dave.

Besides, Chris isn't exactly hurting for work, what with writing two ongoing titles, one of them being Marvel's biggest....

Oh, and the solicitations confirm Dave will be doing the "All New, All Different" team:

GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #3
Written by JOSS WHEDON
Pencils by DAVE COCKRUM
New Cover by DAVE COCKRUM
Featuring Classic Reprints by STAN LEE, JACK KIRBY & WERNER ROTH
In celebration of the 30th anniversary of 1975's GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #1 and #2 comes a colossal collection of the X-Men's greatest team-ups - plus a brand-new untold tale of the All-New, All-Different X-Men by JOSS WHEDON and DAVE COCKRUM! The X-Men tangle with the FF in FANTASTIC FOUR #28 (July 1964), the Might Avengers guest-star in X-MEN #9 (January 1964) and along comes a Spider-Man in X-MEN #35 (August 1967)!
80 Pgs/ Marvel PSR… 4.99

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... gi?id=4833
AndyB
Lubber
Lubber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by AndyB »

I'm actually glad they're pairing up Joss and Dave rather than have it just be a reunion of the good old days and stick him with CC. I really hope this leads to more work and *fingers crossed* a guest stint on Nightcrawler's solo series.

It's scary that these days the fans have heard more about projects than the artists, but from what JoeyQ and BMB have said the Avengers' covers would be Sentry related and that another classic artist would be doing some interior work.

I really hope this shows a commitment on Marvels part to give projects to creators who might not be the hotest thing right now but still know how to tell a story or draw a panel.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Dark Bamf »

For the Avengers cover, I'm doing two guys I never saw before.
--Atilla's Hunny
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Dave on the X-men Again?

For the Avengers cover, I'm doing two guys I never saw before.

Hmm... So I'm guessing it would be the Sentry and the mystery ninja *cough* [spoiler] Murdock [/spoiler] *cough*
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Diablo »

LOL, Nihghtcrawler ZERO.
And I guess you're right.

Dave, I can't express my joy you're doing that kind of drawings for Marvel again. :)
www.atlantys.biz

Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Northstars Love »

Dave, I'm really looking forward to this book with you and Whedon. He has not once disappointed me. An awesome writer! Seeing you both in one book is just fantastic! :thumbup
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Diablo »

Dave, I'm really looking forward to this book with you and Whedon. He has not once disappointed me. An awesome writer! Seeing you both in one book is just fantastic!
Yes, he is an excellent writer.
I'm watching the last Angel season these days, and it's amazing how much he has to say, when other shows are tired after their third season...

A limited series about the "all new, all different" team -with Dave of course !- would be a blast !
www.atlantys.biz

CylverSaber
Lubber
Lubber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by CylverSaber »

Here's something interesting. I was talking with Marvel editor Tom Brevoort at his board about how classic creators can get assignments at Marvel today. One of the examples that came up was Dave and his new X-Men story. And Tom responded:
In the second case, Joss was interested in working with Dave, which is more what you're talking about.
I think that's really cool that Joss is the one who asked for Dave. Shows he's really a standup guy.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Panz »

Dave, its really great to see you getting more work. Big thumbs up :bamf
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by mt_rambler »

I hope the script includes Jean in her original Neal Adams outfit (and that you will be selling the pages from the story)

Be seeing you,
Brian
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Dark Bamf »

Marvel has said it would be *my* team. I don't know who specifically, but I'm hopin g it's at least Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus and Cyclops, though I'd prefer to have Phoenix along too.

--Atilla's Hunny
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by BH123 »

Marvel has said it would be *my* team. I don't know who specifically, but I'm hopin g it's at least Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus and Cyclops, though I'd prefer to have Phoenix along too.

This book is supposed to ship in May, and Marvel hasn't even sent you the plot to draw yet? I realize it's only an 8-page story, but still, that seems to be cutting it very close :?

Oh, well, hopefully it will see print, sooner or later.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Dave on the X-men Again?

Post by Paty »

Ha... I have said it before and I will say it again, there are no real editors at Marvel.
Case in point... I havee heard that some of the staffk/writers/etc have broken silence and are actively talking about how Morrison blindsided Marvel with Planet X. Seems he had been being edited by Jemas who kept objecting to what he was doing with some of the characters...my guess is Scott/Jean/Emma... So he kept turning in his stuff at the last minute so it couldn't be monkeyed with... a time honored ploy...I used it myself when coloring the Nightcrawler mini series cuz shooter was bustin my balls for no orher reason than I wouldn't be "nice" to him.
apparently Morrison whined to quesada and company and Jemas overstepped his bounds on the FF with waid, so they pushed him out. but Morrison apparently was so infuriated about Jemas dissing his buddy waid and causing him to leave Marvel that he decided to jump ship...he was probably bored with the X folk, anyway...and went to DC, signed with them, blindsided quesada with that little gem and then unloaded a completely revised Planet X on them.
apparently, the baby "editors" didn't know what to do with this radically different plot than the one they were expecting...and none of them had the balls to shitcan it and go to upper management and say why... so they pushed it right on through, probably hoping it wouldn't be too bad. Stupid, untrained, unprofessional them. Y'see... Marvel gets its "editors" by attrition. An intern will come in and be assigned to a team of editor/asst ed. When the editor decides to move on, the asst ed moves up to editorship...mainly cuz that person knows how to traffic the books...not be an editor... TRAFFIC THE BOOKS! And the gofer moves into the asst ed spot and they get another intern to gofer. When THAT editor decides to godraw or write or become a nerursurgeon...the asst ed, former gofer rised to editorship, the former gofer rised to asst ed and a new gofer comes in. I saw this turnaround happen back in the eighties... it took a n interne a year and a half to become an editor. That's obscene. No wonder Marvel has no real editors. Cuz apparently that's how it goes... a nice incestuous little office with not a seasoned pro in sight.
Oh... I forgot Rabbit Ralf... he's been there all along cuz he doesn't rock the boat and he's useful...to a degree. but he's not an editor either...not really.He just goes along with whatever who's in power wants. good way to keep your job... at least at marvel.
So, I am not surprised that nobody has sent Dave a script or synopsis yet.Par for the course. Especially since they know he is not in the best of health and needs lead time to work on this thing. they sent him ref on the Avengers cover... which has a much later deadline, to my knowledge. But as we speak, no synopsis or script.
Dave's waiting...time's flyin'... it's probably stuck somewhere on and"editor's" desk...that's been known to happen, too. You are pressured to get work in by a certain deadline, you sweat bullets and blood to do so...then you find out it languishes on an editor's desk for six weeks...yep... gotta love editorial professionalism...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020