Musical Theatre: Any fans?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

I love the theatre. I haven't seen many shows live, besides Stomp and Cabaret, and I happened to love both of those shows.

Anyone else?
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

My chosen career path is Musical Theatre. I've been in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Footloose, and Big River so far. I've done more, but those are the only musicals. I've also done scenes and songs from various musicals.

One of my favorite stage productions that I've seen was Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. it was amazing. I saw it twice. Also saw Spamalot, King Arthur, Light in the Piazza, and several others that I can't think of right now.
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Right on, I've always wanted to be in a show. Sadly, right now there aren't many musicals going on at my school, because the teacher doesn't like musicals. You are too lucky to have been a three shows.

I've only ever seen the movie version of Sweeney Todd, starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. I really loved it, very much. I've never seen Spamalot, however, but I am a huge Monty Python fan.

Was Sweeney Todd the first production you ever saw?
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

Nope. The first one I ever saw was Damn Yankees. on stage anyway. I've been watching movie musicals since I was a few months old. Vera-Ellen is the reason I got in this career in the first place.

Don't let that stop you that you don't have any going on at school. Check out your local community theater and see if there's open auditions for anything coming up. :) even non-musicals. I've been in another play and one movie already, just auditioned for a second movie yesterday. its just as fun in my opinion. except that I miss being able to dance. (thats the reason I'm doing musical theater. so I can dance on stage.)

[Edited on 5/17/2009 by Esynthia]
ImageImage

Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I've seen a lot of movie musicals, but I just don't like most of them.
Probably the first movie musicals I've ever seen and which I liked were the legendary Wizard of Oz and West Side Story, then came the darker Tim Burton-tastic The Nightmare Before Christmas and Johnny Depps "Cry Baby".

What comes to live stage shows, I don't like what Winland has to offer, in general there isn't really much to choose from; political satire, basic comedy and kids fantasy.

I've seen a lot of school plays though, when I was in middle-school our school did some sort of Elvis biography show, Kalevala and Harry Potter.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

Does opera count? If so, Le Nozze di Figaro and Cosi Fan Tute ROCK! Best times ever at a theatre. And Les Mis - I always cry when Javert dies.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

Did the song On My Own for one of my classes in college. Made my director cry. He had to hug me after. LOL
ImageImage

LIV4TheObsession
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LIV4TheObsession »

Love broadway! I have a bunch of friends who are in the buisness! My favorite show is a toss up between "The Lion King" and "Wicked".
DeviantArt: http://liv4theobsession.deviantart.com/

"Your life is not back and white but it is the million shades of grey that make you who you are." ~ Unknown
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

Oooh The Lion King was awesome.
ImageImage

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I love musical theater and even enjoyed all-too-brief employment in professional theater. Sadly, lack of time and the lack of a professional repertory theater in my chosen residence that pays enough to make me more strongly consider making the time has limited my participation lately.

Odd thing is that, while I don't even really like Gilbert and Sullivan shows very much, I've clearly demonstrated a knack for getting into them. In the space of less than three years, I was in Trial by Jury, the Pirates of Penzance, and HMS Pinafore, all with different companies.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Wow, cool stuff. You guys know way more than I do. All I've done is try out for two school plays.

It was wierd, but you guys know about Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera? Well, anyway, I saw the movie version, and I have to say that I hated it. I was really surprised about that, because I'd heard such amazing things about it, and I generally love musicals. I just couldn't stand it.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

I really want to see that. But I won't let myself watch the movie version of it until I see the stage production. And Andrew Lloyd Webber is sometimes an acquired taste sometimes. but then, you might like the stage version :shrug who knows.
ImageImage

OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

I might like the stage version, yes. He has another called Joseph and the Amazing Technecolored Dreamcoat, I think. I like that one all right.

Did you ever see his other one, Cats?
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

He has *several*. I've not seen Cats fully, no. I've seen snippits of it. A lot of ppl I know don't like it though. I think its one that you either love or you hate. I think that I'd love it simply because it's so dance oriented.
ImageImage

Amatheya
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Amatheya »

I've been to see Phantom in London 3 times and I loved it every time. I've got the movie and it realy does not do it justice at all. In order to get Phantom I think you need to be right up in there near the live actors feeling the electricity on the stage.... Ok, now I think I've talked myself into needing to go see it again!

Wicked was the last thing I saw, mustic wasn't all that but the experiance and story was fantastic. I really, really hated the book though, it was poo!
I wanna run away with the circus :)
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Okay, cool. Thanks Amatheya. I've been worried about the movies not getting it right for a while now, so maybe I'll go see Phantom live if I ever get the chance.

Did the Tim Burton movie version of Sweeney Todd do right by the live show?
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

It really did. They left out a few things for time, obvs, but they didn't really vary from the story with what they kept. I lvoed that.

also, I can't bring myself to see wicked. I'm not a huge fan of the music and I LOVED the book. it was my first Gregory Maguire book and I read it like 3 years or so before the stage play came out. And I heard from several ppl that there's a love triangle between Glinda, Fiyero, and Elphaba.... And in the book there's not. The romance between Fiyero and Elphaba in the book is my favorite part, so the fact that they screwed that up gives me more incentive not to see it.
ImageImage

OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Sadly, I've never read the book or seen the play. I know it has something to do with the education of the Wicked Witch of the West, right? What exactly is it about?
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

it tells the story of the Wicked Witch of the West. from birth until her demise by Dorothy. It tells her side of things. I think its really interesting. There's two sequels: Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men. I own both. Haven't been able to read the Lion's story just yet though. however, my favorite Gregory Maguire book is Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. So good.
ImageImage

OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

OH, DUDE!!! This is awesome, I own Son of a Witch! A friend gave it to me for my birthday. I never read it because it seemed like parts were missing when I gave it a try, and it kept mentioning somone named Elphaba, and I had no idea who that was. Now I do know, and now I know why it seemed like there were parts missing! My friend bought me a sequal (it wasn't her fault, though. She's none too bright, and isn't really a reader. She meant well, though)

So, would you recomend I read Wicked? I've gotten mixed reviews about the book.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

Personally? yes. I loved the book. It's a bit slow in parts though, just so you know.
ImageImage

OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Oh, good to know. Thanks, (insert nickname). I'm not sure what to call you. :P

On a side note, I hate Annie. Not the musical, mind you, a love the musical. I hate Annie the character. Every moment she's on the screen or stage or whatever, I almost have to close my eyes and cover my ears. Please don't tell me I'm alone in this. Am I?
LIV4TheObsession
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LIV4TheObsession »

Esynthia wrote:it tells the story of the Wicked Witch of the West. from birth until her demise by Dorothy. It tells her side of things. I think its really interesting. There's two sequels: Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men. I own both. Haven't been able to read the Lion's story just yet though. however, my favorite Gregory Maguire book is Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. So good.
I read the first book, but I think the plot dragged out for too long. But Stephen Schwartz did an amazing job of adapting it to a musical!
DeviantArt: http://liv4theobsession.deviantart.com/

"Your life is not back and white but it is the million shades of grey that make you who you are." ~ Unknown
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Anyone else?
Not really, no. I like Film. My ideal career is a film writer/director.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

OctoberHoliday wrote:Oh, good to know. Thanks, (insert nickname). I'm not sure what to call you. :P
Just call me Esy. ;)
ImageImage