Darfur

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Darfur

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Darfur is one of those things that is frequently in my mind. The latest news story caught my attention. They told me to kill, to rape the children.

I just can't imagine. These poor people.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Darfur

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Invisible Children. Look it up.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Darfur

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I couldn't find this on YouTube... In fact none of their videos came up. Something tells me Green Day is plotting something...

Anyways, here's a very informative music video, believe it or not, of Green Day performing Lenon's "Working Class Hero".

Very upsetting and also a very cool song.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Darfur

Post by Slarti »

Yeah, that is a horrible, horrible mess there. There is more and more awareness of it in the US, mostly because of that Invisible Children group. Even locally, as this ‘Displace Me’ event was held last week.

I thought the high school kids taking up this cause was an interesting thing, since when I was in high school the current crisis was Bosnia/Herzegovina and the genocide during that civil war and we didn’t do jack squat.

I did download the Green Day song for that fundraiser on iTunes and while it’s cool, it’s also a bit creepy that they edited Lennon’s voice into their version.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Darfur

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I find it respectful more than creepy but yeah, I can see where you're coming from with that. Though the album it's off of is all songs by Lennon. U2 did Instant Karma, Jack Johnson and Avril Lavigne both did Imagine, and Matisyahu did "Watching The Wheels".
There's many other artists on there, but I think those renditions are the most notable.

It's really interesting to see a disaster like that take the attention of the youth. Hopefully that is enough for a change.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Darfur

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Been awhile since I heard anything about Darfur. The "in" topic now is Israel. Maybe people are finally getting bored with that one and we're gearing up to cycle back to Darfur.
Ult_Sm86 wrote: It's really interesting to see a disaster like that take the attention of the youth. Hopefully that is enough for a change.
Darfur was "in" during my first year of university. Students did a bunch of fundraisers then it fell off the radar to be replaced by the latest charitable cause. (Global warming, I believe it was.) That's my perception of it anyway. Making a difference, for real!

Paws, what's with the depressing news topics lately??
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Darfur

It's still snowing here. That should answer why. LOL

No really, darfur is just a horrid situation and I think that people do forget about it. This is like (as in different but still similar to) the extermination of jews and others in the second world war. People now look at that and talk about it as such a horrible thing - but in a way we're tolerating it happening again, because the UN isn't stopping it. With public pressure and support I'm hoping that we can pull some sort of stop to this. As shitty as these topics are - we tend to overlook them in our day to day lives. I'm just as guilty of that.

Also all this helps put my own shit in perspective. Yeah, I may have a lot of pressures on me at times, but thank God I have food to eat and don't have to worry about myself and my kids getting raped and killed like the people in darfur do. And in other areas. We have it so good.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Darfur

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

People sure do expect a lot from the UN. There are problems everywhere and only so much they can do.
Also all this helps put my own shit in perspective. Yeah, I may have a lot of pressures on me at times, but thank God I have food to eat and don't have to worry about myself and my kids getting raped and killed like the people in darfur do. And in other areas. We have it so good.
Ah ha. I find using that kind of thing for perspective just doesn't work. It's too remote to mean anything.

[Edited on 18-3-2009 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Darfur

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Yeah, seriously, if anyone wants to take a proactive stance on the ever-raging war in Sudan, Darfur, and Uganda, please please talk with me. Or go to http://www.invisiblechildren.com The Rescue is happening April 25th. I've been a strong supporter of IC for a while now and would be thrilled to see any of my fellow Bamfers participate as well.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Darfur

excellent site, excellent info. Thanks Bob. :) I'm going to pass it along.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Darfur

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Thanks Paws. It's something I'm passionate about. If you've never seen a movie made by IC, you should. They'll make you cry.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Darfur

I watched them on that link. Or the ones that they showed - it was 30 min worth of film at least. Very inspiring.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Darfur

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

yeah, it makes you think...