THE NIGHTSCRAWLERS FV&TTT HALLOWEEN WRITING CHALLENGE!

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Everyone! :wave

Welcome to the Nightscrawlers FV&TTT Halloween Writing Challenge!!! This particular challenge prompt was inspired by a discussion which took place here: viewthread.php?tid=10497&page=3

What would happen if Wolverine and Nightcrawler were to have a duel? What would prompt it? Would it be a friendly fight, a challenge of some sort, or would it be more serious...with serious consequences for their friendship? Who would win? What would the loser lose?

For the Halloween Writing Challenge, you get to decide the answers to all these questions, and more. Write a short, Halloween-themed story centered around some sort of conflict, argument, or fight that takes place between Wolverine and Nightcrawler. The story should be under 10 pages long. The fight can be verbal, physical, with swords, without swords, serious, intense, joking, whatever you want, and it can be prompted by anything you want too. Maybe it's a sort of beer-drinking game with swords. Maybe they clash over how Wolverine handled one of his more destructive rages. Maybe one of them has done something the other just can't forgive. It's all up to you.

The DEADLINE for this challenge is 11:59 PM in whatever time-zone you happen to be sitting in on NOVEMBER 1. As in previous challenges, once all the entries are in, a poll will be held and the winner will receive a special banner linking to his or her story.

Please post all entries in the main FV&TTT forum as you would any other story, just be sure to indicate in the story’s TITLE that your entry is part of the HALLOWEEN WRITING CHALLENGE.

If you have any questions about this challenge, please let me know!

I hope you enjoy this new challenge! Good luck, everyone!!! :D

:bamf

[Edited on 18/9/2008 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

So many possibilities, so little time ... I probably won't enter this, but ... oh, the ideas that spring to one's head!

I hope some of the folks who don't normally write fics will attempt this one. It's so ... wide open. And with two well-known, beloved characters!

I assume one wouldn't totally have to stick to canon history, convoluted as it is -- or could mix elements of movieverse, Evo, and Uncanny or Ulitmate canon?

*walks off, mumbling to self about how many times the two mutants had challenged each other and what hadn't been tried yet, men in white coats keeping a wary eye on Elfdame as she makes fencing gestures with her sharp pencil*

{edited to update} - Okay, I lied. I scurried to my writing nook and before long Hubby came down to see why I was laughing. Every time I laugh out loud while writing, it makes him happy.

But I am stuck now; my characters are mum as to where I should take them next. Oh, the agony. I may need to tie Wolverine down and tickle his feet, or lash him with wet vermicelli, to make him reveal the next part of the plot. And he'd better hurry, b/c I still have to crank out some stuff for the local contest and plan my next NaNoNovel (for which I finally found a title, woo-hoo!)

So, who else is clattering away at the keyboards for this one? I have no chance in Hades of winning, but I want to know the competition anyway.

And I really, really hope some of you who haven't entered before, or entered and became discouraged, will try this one. Compared to my drivel, your stuff will shine!

Have at it!

[Edited on 23/9/08 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I haven't started clattering away at my keyboard yet, but I intend to!
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I think I've got an idea for this. I'll have to discuss it with my more Wolverine-centric buddy. :)

BECAUSE I HAVE SO MUCH TIME OMIGOSH CULINARY SCHOOL IS EATING UP MY LIFE.
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Yay! I really hope you guys do find time to enter. I'd love to know what you come up with! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Oy ... I am *so far behind* on this challenge ... been working on local contests and hanging out at nanowrimo ... but mainly got stuck with part of the plot ... any Wolverine fans who aren't entering, wanna U2U me and offer to let me steal an idea? My fangirl in Tejas is too busy to help.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Well...I clattered away on my keyboard today and finished my story. Now I just need to let it simmer for a few days before I post it. I hope it doesn't stink.

[Edited on 8/10/08 by neling4]

[Edited on 8/10/08 by neling4]

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I anyone gonna kill me if I run to about 13 or 14 pages? I mean, I *can* edit (once took a 22-pager and diced it to 4), but ... hate to leave out any of the myriad interpersonal dymanics and so forth.

It's not finished yet, but right now it's up to 11 and the end is mosty in sight.

Let me know how much surgery must be performed on this child of mine to be considered acceptable.

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Well, I said under 10 pages because this is just a one-month challenge, but if you've already gone over 10 pages, that's OK. If you feel you need to cut and edit the text in order to make a tighter story, do that, but if you're ready to post it as is, then that's perfectly fine. But please, do post it! I'm really curious to read what you guys have been working on! :read :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Thirteen or fourteen pages??? I only have four. Maybe I should type some more? :computer

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

No, darling, it's simply a case of Elfy being way too verbose for her own good! And even editing it, I still feel it's lacking a couple of rounds of "gotcha" moments.

Please, please just post yours, or at least part of it; I am jonesing for some fresh Crawlage!

And it will probably be a few days until I can polish and post the next couple of acts. I've f*rted around enough with this fic while allowing the money-contest entries to simmer (you know how They always say to leave stuff alone a few days before the final edit).

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Okay! I will post it soon. I just finished simmering my first story and decided it was undercooked, so I wrote another one. It is also about four pages long. I guess that is my standard story length. I will post it as soon as I decide it doesn't need any more editing.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

So ... will you post the first one here or at ff.net sometime? I need me some Crawlerfic!

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I'm going to post my second attempt today, after I add a few edits I thought of last night.

If you like, and if I'm allowed, I can post a link to some fan fiction I did with Feral Female over on another forum, just so you can get your fix of crawlerfic. ;)

BTW, I'm enjoying your entry.

[Edited on 16/10/08 by neling4]

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

We'd always love to see more fic here, even if it's not a challenge one ;).
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Alright then, here it is:

http://s15.zetaboards.com/The_Repository/topic/89011/1/

Please excuse the silliness of it. We were just having fun. If I'm not allowed to post it here, embarrass the heck out of me and I'll remove the link.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Are we allowed to edit our Challenge entry after posting? I wanted to re-word a sentence, but I don't want to be disqualified.

[Edited on 16/10/08 by neling4]

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Erm, I've done it before. And I suggested a tiny word change to another Scrawler, who updated afterward.

So, my guess is ... yeah.

And thanks for the other fic ... I hope to read it when I catch up on my own writing {shudder of guilt}.

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

that would be me that she helped.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Only a little over a week left ... anyone working on a masterpiece to post here?

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I guess I can't submit two stories? I have a nice depressing one I could enter too.:cry

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

You could submit two stories if you want to. I've done that. ;) And yep, you can edit your challenge entry if you spot anything you'd like to fix or change.

Thanks so much for entering! :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick reminder that today is the last day of the Halloween Writing Challenge, so if you were planning to submit any more entries, today is the last day to do it. Tomorrow, the polling can begin!

Thanks so much for your participation! :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I just posted my depressing entry. It was my first attempt, now much edited.