9/4 Announcement: Widget is transforming!

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

That's right; he's a Transformer! (Well, not really; he's not quite that advanced.)

The old Widget has been deleted and I've started writing Widget in a different programming language! What does this mean?

Firstly, it means that I'll learn how to do new things in that programming language; secondly, it means Widget will be a lot more robust! No more random crashes and reconnections. The new programming language (Java) is more predictable and safe than was the old programming language in which Widget was written (PHP), which was more expressive and flexible.

Anyway, here's what you should know about the change. First of all, Widget's starting off with almost no modules; I'm adding them back one by one. Second of all, you activate the modules in a different fashion.

No more !commands. If you want to blame someone, work Widget and blame into the same sentence.

For example:
Widget: Who's to blame?!
Widget: Gimme some pie.

The following modules are currently active:
* blame
* cocktail
* coffee
* cookie
* pie
* spin
* tea
* update_forum

The following modules will be reimplemented (high-priority):
* help
* operator
* page
* check_forum

Once I've gotten most of those modules back off the ground, stay tuned to find out how he'll be more interactive!

Thanks!

-HoodedMan
Botmaster

[Edited on 4/9/08 by HoodedMan]
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

OK, Widget now has a brain! A small and random brain, but it's a brain nonetheless! He listens to the channel passively as people speak. He does not log conversations as such, but he does save words, word links, punctuation, sentence structure, etc. in a digital structure.

If you mention his name but not something for him to do, he'll make up a random sentence based on what he's learned. It can be quite entertaining; check it out!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Sorry about Widget disappearing so often! He's on my computer right now, not on the server, and I have a crappy wireless connection. He'll be back on the server soon. :)