Breaking Wind

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Breaking Wind

Post by Scumfish »

It had been….what, four months now, since he’d moved to America, into Xavier’s Institute. And Christian Joseph Black was bored.

And depressed, but that was what sitting on the roof in the pouring rain did to you.

Irritably the boy pushed soggy hair and damp feathers out of his face, huffing as they just fell right back in his way again.

Four sodding horrible months, still reeling from the break up from Mary and having to live with homesickness and….everything.

Chris chewed his lip, trying not to think about that. Mary hadn’t wanted him to go to America, when he’d got that letter. Didn’t want him to leave her. But she’d got threats because of him and….well. When the arguing started, he’d said some stupid things and….so had she and neither of them had thought to apologise. Leaving after that had been easy.

She’d dumped him. That was the whole upshot of it. And they hadn’t spoken since. He had her number and she had his, they both had the internet but it had gone too far.

Christian shook his head again, smoothing his hair out of his face as his wings shifted again, staring out into the sky. It hadn’t been raining when he’d first come out here. Sure it had been a bit cloudy but no sooner had he thought about going back in it had started. Now not only would he be the weird Brit kid, he’d be the weird emo Brit kid if people knew he’d been out in this.

Stupid weather.

Chris looked down at his twin tails, the feathers dark and sodden. Even the excitement of being put on the roster of active X-Men had worn off. Not that it hadn’t been weird – after the whole realising that the people they’d been playing in the RP on ‘Scrawlers were actually real – but….well.

It would be alright if he didn’t feel so bloody left out. Not that he had no friends, because he did. And he couldn’t look at Logan without having to suddenly check his wings to stop himself laughing but damnit.

And his codename. Windwalker. What the hell had the doc been on when he came up with that?

Chris chewed on a nail and snorted. “Float like a butterfly an’ sting like….ah, prob’ly sting like one too.” He shook himself, flicking out one wing and then the other, flapping them slowly to try and get rid of the water. He shivered slightly, running a hand over his bare chest and stretched.

Well, emo or not, he had to get to training. Warren – no, sorry, Angel, pretty boy that he was – would probably give him the obstacle course from Hell if he missed this one.

‘Windwalker’ grinned, despite the rain and moping over his ex. At least it meant he got to look at hot winged ass though. Running for the edge, he dropped off the roof and then soared up into the sky.

“Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaahahahaha!!!”

[Edited on 17-8-2008 by Scumfish]
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Chapter 2

Post by Scumfish »

“In the name of all that’s holy, Christian, will you pay attention!”

Chris jumped, looking guiltily at Warren as he straightened his trilby. “Sorry, Angel.” He pulled off the hat and smoothed down the feathers that had riled up from the minor shock. “Mind was elsewhere.”

“That much was obvious.” Warren rolled his eyes, turning away. “You need to learn to concentrate in training, Windwalker, or you’ll never be able to be relied on in combat situations.”

“Sorry sir.” Chris muttered as there was a snort from behind him. He shot a dark look at the man as he put the trilby back on, and stuck his tongue out at him. “Screw you, LeBeau.”

“Christian!!”

Chris winced. “Sorry!”

Warren treated him to a glare that promised pain as he went back to outlining what would be expected of them in the training excersize. Chris tried to stay focused on what he was saying but his mind started to wander a few minutes into it. They were in the huge Danger Room, under the mansion. Absently he wondered why Charles had decided to put him in the X-Men, considering just how much of an attention span he didn’t have.

And the fact he was under Nightcrawler and Wolverine of all people. Alright, Kurt was cool. In a sort of….sulphurous way. But he was having trouble not thinking of him as….well. As the drunk Catholic priest from the RP, basically.

And as for Wolverine?

“Mon ami, y’ away wit’ the fairies again, non?”

Chris snapped back to reality as Remy flicked his hat again. “Yeah.” He smiled a little at the other new X-Man. The Cajun grinned at him. “Thanks.”

“Pas de problem. Y’ owe Remy.”

“Yeah yeah. I’m sure. Jus’ play me at poker or somethin’. Y’ll get what I owe you then.”

“Y’ suck at p- ooooh. I see.” Remy grinned.

“Well done. Dumbass.” Christian grinned as Warren ended the lecture.

“Windwalker, Icarus, you’re with me. Obviously. The rest of you, places.” Warren stretched out his wings as Chris and Josh made their way over. “Ah, you were actually paying attention that time, Mr Black. For once.”

“Say what now, sir?” Chris gave Warren a shit-eating grin as the man rolled his eyes. “Sure I was. You good, Joshy?”

“Don’t call me that.” Joshua snapped. Yet another weird thing – this guy was almost polar opposite to how Chris had played Icarus in the RP. Every time he spoke to the guy it made him want to break out the eyeliner.

Gimp.

Chris twitched his tails as the DR shifted and changed around him, swallowing as the change in scenery made him feel vaguely motion sick. Not like he could talk much, what with the ripped jeans, New Rocks and trilby. And gloves.

Obviously the fact he refused to wear the patented leather or whatever it was of the X-Men uniform had….caused a few frictions, but honestly Chris didn’t care. He didn’t want to go save the world and he certainly didn’t want people knowing him if he did. It was bad enough he was having to put up with the shock that things like Magneto and the Acolytes existed and that some day he faced a very real chance of possibly running into whatever enemy the X-Men had made that week.

Not a comforting thought.

Christian pushed himself up into the air as Warren gave them the signal, using the tails to balance him in the air, the prehensile lengths waving slightly as the three hovered on the fake breeze. He groaned. Oh woo. A forest. They were going to be doing tree dodging, weren’t they?

Looking down, Chris could see the other X-Men split off into their various specialties, someone setting up shields. From where he was, he couldn’t see who, but he could easily pick out the pink glow that was Remy playing with his cards. “So, Angel, what’s th’ plan for today?”

Warren smiled a little. “Possibly getting you some Ritalin. Nightcrawler wants us to practice evasive manuvres. He feels that Wolverine’s been concentrating on the more combat side of the X-Men.”

Chris shared a look with Josh and grinned. “I’m up for avoidin’ fights if I can. So what’re we doin’ up here? Covering the rest of th’ teams asses?”

“Not exactly.” Warren smirked, pointing behind him. Chris looked over his wings.

There was a flock of….something heading for them. Chris gained height, frowning as he tried to make out what they were. Planes? No. Too small. Something was moving on the ground below them, going through the forest.

Then he caught sight of one of the flying things.

“Oh you have got t’ be fucking kidding me, Warren.” Christian groaned, turning back to the man, tails flicking irritably. “Flying monkeys? Doug’s been reading Wizard Of Oz again, ain’t he?”

“Apparently so. And those on the ground are-”

“Munchkins.” Josh and Chris said simultaneously.

“You owe us a fuckin’ drink, blue boy.” Chris rolled his eyes and backed air, back only aching slightly. He’d built up muscles since coming to Xaviers and flying every day.

“Talk to Kurt about that. Right. We have to deal with the flying monkeys before we can help the others.” Warren smirked. “Suggestions?”

“Split up, lead ‘em off, think of something later?” Josh Smiled nervously. “They’re getting a little close….”

“Sounds good!!” Chris dived down as the cloud of shrieking airbourne monkeys bore down on them, grinning as he caught a brief sight of Remy staring open-mouthed at the Munchkins. There were a group of monkeys following him. “Why monkeys? Why?!” He twisted, narrowly missing treetops as he pulled up quickly, wincing as a couple of the monkeys didn’t manage to follow him and plowed straight into the trees.

Here’s hoping they have somethin’ other then usual monkey ammo to hand…. Chris grit his teeth, beating his wings hard to gain height as fast as possible, turning and kicking another monkey in the face. He risked a glance to see how the other two wingers were managing, watching Josh shriek a couple out of the air and Warren simply twist out of their way.

“Lucky bastards…” Chris muttered.

Unfortunately in doing that he’d been distracted too long, something he realised when he felt hands grabbing his wings. “Oh fuck, no you don’ you little wankers!” Jerking out of the monkey’s grip, Chris turned in time to take a monkey headbutting him in the stomach. Winded, he started falling back down to earth, managing to recover enough to crash into a tree.

Climbing quickly to the ground, Chris leant against the tree and wheezed until he felt better, hearing the shrieks of the monkeys circling above him. “Why monkeys?” He wiped the tears of pain and jammed the trilby firmer onto his head. “I hate monkeys.” He guessed a direction and took it. With any luck, the monkeys would think he was still in the tree, and he’d be able to find one to climb and take off from.

It wouldn’t be so bloody bad if he had an aggressive mutation. But nope. Just the wings and tails. Grumbling to himself, Chris found a tree and climbed into it, pulling himself higher. He couldn’t hear any monkeys, so he risked it, climbing high enough that he could take off again.

Once in the air, Chris got his bearing and then flew to the knot of monkeys, bearing down on them like a red Cockney ball of feathered fury. He knocked a few into the trees he’d crashed into and grabbed a couple of others, throwing them into a tree. “Fucking monkeys.”

“Doing alright there, Chris?”

Chris turned and nearly threw another monkey at Warren, but dropped the stunned creature to the ground. “Jus’ fine, sir.”

“Saw you drop. Tactical retreat time, methinks. Good job.”

Christian just nodded, following the senior X-Man as he watched the ground crew start to pull away from the Munchkins. Of all the stupid programs….

“Christian?”

Chris looked up at Warren. “What?”

“I believe Kurt wishes to see you. After you’re done in the showers, could you drop by his office?”

What could he say? “Sure. Cheers, Angel.”

Now what had he done?

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Breaking Wind

Post by steyn »

Woot. Danger Room and flying monkeys! You can't get any better then that!
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Breaking Wind

Post by Esynthia »

REMY!!!!!!!!!
*ahem*

woot :D loving it so far, Scummy!
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Chapter 3

Post by Scumfish »

Chris stepped out of the shower, roughly shaking his head and raking his fingers through the feathers and hair as he tried to get them to lie in some semblance of order. His braids had become dreadlocks, thanks to the inability to brush them properly, but he didn’t mind too much.

He tossed the towel onto a bench, walking to his locker as he pulled the wings to his back.

“Dieu, Christian, put some clothes on!! Y’ll blind Remy one day.”

Chris snorted as he opened his locker, pointedly ignoring the as-yet unused uniform. No gimp suit for him, damnit. “Like hell, Remy.” He pulled out his jeans and slipped into them, doing the tie up at the back for his tails. “If I ain’t made you go blind yet, I ain’t gonna.” He grinned at the man as he pulled on socks and then his boots.

Remy gave him a slow grin back, leaning against his own locker with his arms folded. As usual, Chris couldn’t meet his eyes properly thanks to the red-on-black, but that didn’t stop him thinking they were sexy. Heh. Esy would probably kill him.

“If y’ say so, Christian.” Remy shook his head as Chris closed his locker and put his trilby on, hiding the smile at the way the Cajun drawled out his name. “So why d’ blue guy want t’ see you?”

“I have no fuckin’ idea, Remy.” Chris shrugged, sighing as he stretched out his wings and tails, curling the latter. “Prob’ly to chew me out for not wearing uniform or not eating enough fruit or fartin’ in the wrong place.” He made his way to the door.

“Yeah well, y’ do seem to like attractin’ trouble, mon ami.” Remy fell into step beside him as they headed into the corridor. “Would it hurt yeh to jus’ do as y’ told? Even Remy hadta learn dat.”

“No.” Chris grinned. “But I jus’ don’t like obeyin’ people. That’s the whole point of anarchy, Rem, and communism.”

“Ah, y’ dirty communist chien.” Remy laughed. “Get lost, Black, Remy’ll come find y’ later.”

“That a promise or a threat, baby?” Chris grinned.

“Both, if y’ keep dat up. Later!”

-

“Mr Black, ja?”

Chris nodded as he closed the door behind him, still unable to get over the appearance of the mutant in front of him. “Tha’s me, sir.”

“Please, sit down.” Kurt waved a hand at the seat in front of his desk. “Or stand, if you’re more comfortable.” He added, smiling at Chris’ tails.

“Thanks.” Chris smiled gratefully, taking off his trilby. Kurt spoke in a German accent, but luckily it wasn’t so thick he had problems understanding it.

“I know how that feels.” Kurt shrugged, his own tail curling slightly. There was a flash of white teeth as he grinned. “Though with two, I’m sure you have your hands full, hmm?”

“Yeah. Just a bit.” Christian nodded, shifting a little nervously. He hadn’t been called here since the business with those markers and a handy blank wall.

“But I did not call you here to talk tails with you.” Kurt sighed. “You have been here for four months now, ja? And a member of the X-Men for….”

“Two and a half months, sir.”

“Yes. And yet you have not worn your uniform. Charles has a strict code for his X-Men, Christian, but even with that there are few rules.” Kurt gave him a stern look, disconcerting yellow meeting his. “Why is it you have trouble with this one?”

“I don’t like the uniform.” Chris shrugged, inwardly rolling his eyes. “I don’ see the problem wit’ my normal clothes. They’re black, an’ the uniform is…uncomfortable fer my wings.” He shuddered at the rememberance of the open back. He’d rather be topless then wear something that felt one step away from a halter neck top. “An’ besides. Didn’t exactly ask to be an X-Man, did I?”

Kurt sighed. “No. I will let this go for now, Christian. Perhaps we can talk over a modification later. That is not the most serious issue, however.”

Oh great. “No?”

“I am aware you have a medical condition, for which you are taking pain killers, correct?”

Christian shifted, knowing where this was going. “Yes.”

Kurt gave him another look. “And yet you are also drinking, Mr Black, despite this. And being diagnosed as borderline alcoholic…?”

“Borderline, sir, does not mean I am one.” Christian rolled his eyes. “So long as I’m careful an’-”

“Nein.” Kurt shook his head. “It does not, Windwalker. Suppose you accidently overdose, mixing alcohol with codeine? Or you push yourself into becoming a true alcoholic?” The blue man sighed, shaking his head. “As one of the team leaders I must ask you to stop.”

Christian shook his head. “You soun’ like my ex.”

“Perhaps you should have listened to her.” Kurt said back, not unkindly. “Charles has also asked that you please see him for your counselling issues.”

“Oh hell. You have got t’ be kiddin’ me.” Christian’s tails flicked irritably. “I don’t need counselling!”

Kurt just shook his head. “Still. He has ‘requested’ it, and you know as well as me, Windwalker, that that is an order. Though he did say when you were ready.” Nightcrawler looked up and smiled. “We’re trying to look after you, Mr Black, believe it or not. You may have had it rough before but this is a new world, and we’d like you to be part of it.”

“I’m sure. Is that all, sir?” At Kurt’s sigh and nod, Chris turned and opened the door, putting the trilby on as he did and being careful not to let the door slam. He rammed his hands in his pockets, muttering darkly to himself as he stomped down the corridor.

“Mebbe I shoulda listened to her.” He did slam the door to his room, not really caring about the bang on the wall he got from next door as he flopped face down on the bed, trilby rolling onto the floor. “Fuck the X-Men. Fuck Kurt. Fuck Baldy.”

Reaching into his pocket, Christian pulled out his mobile phone, propping himself up and scrolling through the numbers until he got to Mary’s. Hesitating, he pressed the call key, listening as the call connected.

“Hi, Mary? Yeah, it’s me.” He chewed his lip. “I’m in America. Listen…I’m sorry. Okay? Later.”

Chris ended the call and put the phone on his bedside table, glad his roomie wasn’t in to see him bury his head in his arms. It had been an answering machine. She never checked her answering machine.

He felt very alone.

Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Breaking Wind

Post by Esynthia »

Heh. Esy would probably kill him
Yes, yes I would. LOL

on another note, poor Chris :( *huggles him*

can't wait to see where this goes :)
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Breaking Wind

Post by Scumfish »

Okay, not an update as such. Due to RL issues I'm not going to be able to get this finished by the deadline. If you want to pull me out of the competition that's fine, as I'm kinda gonna be breaking hte rules and it wouldn't be fair for me to ask for an extention period, with the amount I have to write to get the plot underway. :)

Do people want me to continue this fic outside of the challenge? Or should I drop it?

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting on this.

puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Breaking Wind

Post by puppygirl »

Pup demands updates, not like you're writing this just for the challenge are you :)
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Breaking Wind

Post by steyn »

I vote yes, keep going.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Breaking Wind

Post by Rowena »

Please keep going, if you can. If you want to pull out of the contest, all you have to do is delete the "Summer Challenge" part of the title, and your story will just be a story. A story I really hope you will continue. If you do want to keep it in the contest, and you think you can make it past the plot's half-way point by the deadline, send me a U2U and we can try to work out a fair extension period. Remember, you don't need a lengthy ending or follow-up for this contest. You can end it directly after the climax peaks. It just needs a sense of episode completion, even if it's "to be continued."

Great story. Thank you for the time you've already put into it. :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Breaking Wind

Post by Scumfish »

:) Thanks Rowena, but I think I will pull out. I've hit a major creative block and I'm going through a bit of difficulty at the moment.

Won't delete the story though. Thanks guys for all your support :)