Top 25 Holiday Films

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This is my Top 24 Holiday Films.

This is the list I cooked up for my Student Newspaper: The Unfiltered Lens. The first 12 (1-12) are available in print, the rest will be found online.

(Keep in mind this was loosely thrown together in about an hour and hasn't seen an editor yet. Edited version will be thrown up once it has been made!)

1) A Charlie Brown Christmas - The epitome of Christmastime, this movie has been a long held American treasure and tradition that never ceases to entertain. Simple, fun, educational, and generally un-offensive, the story is as touching as any other. Everything from the immediately recognizable hymns and melodic dance themes (played on piano by ____ ) to the dimly lit, lopsided tree, screams Christmas and shows what the whole shebang should truly be about Appreciating what you have, friends and family, (and then religious nonsense Linus spoke about).

2) Christmas Vacation - Name one Holiday movie to make you laugh harder than this, I know I can't. The squirrel in the tree is almost as brilliant as Uncle Eddie's dog Snots "yakkin' up a bone" under the dinner table (which had on it a horribly overcooked turkey a mishmash of delectable delights, and then a jello mold with kitty litter in it). This movie is a beautiful example of Americans who take tradition and gift giving, the holiday attitude as a whole, too far and shows that the family that sticks together, has a merry Christmas together.

3) The Santa Claus - One of Tim Allen's finer choices in his acting career, the character Nick accidentally scares Santa off the roof and, in no uncertain terms, kills him. He then is forced to take his place as Santa due to the titular contract known as "The Santa Claus". Hilarity ensues and this is a great movie for those who want to do the whole Christmas shebang without all the religious undertones. Never addresses too heavily the Christian background and very nicely deals with the logic of Santa and how he does, in one night, bring joy and wonder to all the good girls and boys. Easily a winner with the kiddos.

4) Muppet Christmas Carol - This movie has Michael Caine, the Muppets, singing, and oh yeah-- MUPPETS! Muppet Christmas Carol is not only one of the best adaptations of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, but it is also one of the most beloved Muppet films being it plucks all the right heart strings of everyone who watches it. Even the most Scrooge-like movie goers can't help but crack a grin when Marley & Marley float on screen or when Good Ole' Fozziewig dances with Ma' Fozziewig (wokka, wokka, wokka!)

5) A Christmas Story - Over played, over quoted, and to this day, still under-appreciated. "A Christmas Story" has all the trimmings and trappings of a terribly cliché holiday-flick, but yet for some reason millions of viewers tune into the Basic Cable networks to see this unique film for (you guessed it) 24 hours straight on Christmas day.

6) Elf In the Pantheon of Holiday films none tries so hard to entertain both the kids and the parents as the charmingly, if not awkwardly, delightful movie ELF. Starring Will Ferrell & Zooey Deschanel (and directed by Iron Man's Jon Favreau) this movie hits all the right notes, never misses a beat, and is a laugh-out-loud riot to watch with adults or kids. Don't try maple-covered spaghetti at home kids! (Unless it's Christmas, of course!)

7) How The Grinch Stole Christmas - The original Dr. Seuss classic is easily one of the most recognizable and lovable films of all time. Though considered a TV Special or "Short" this is a staple in almost every Holiday Collection. Obnoxious fringe-conspiracies about the symbolism of Grinch being Jewish and forced into Christian beliefs aside (how utterly absurd!), this story is flat-out the perfect night-time movie for kids and includes an easy to sing to christmas tune. ("You're a MEAN ONE! Mista GRINCH!")

9) It's A Wonderful Life - So as if the holidays aren't' depressing enough if you spend them alone, why not watch a movie about a guy who tries to commit suicide and then has to view his life in order of how he remembers it, but without him there. Rather depressing, but it gets the whole "appreciate what you have, make do with what you can't, and don't be a Scrooge at Christmas" across to everyone.

10) Scrooged - Another laugh-out-loud holiday film for the family (how can you not?! BILL MURRAY!) Scrooged incorporates everything people love about the Holidays (Ghosts of Christmas Past/Present/Future, Gift Giving, Christmas Parties/Bonuses) along with all the things Americans love most in comedy (slapstick physical humor, Bobcat Goldthwait going bonkers and shooting at Bill Murray, and Bill Murray). This movie is a no-brainer for the older Holiday Film collector and is a joy to watch during the Holidays when the younger kids have had their fill of Grinch and headed to bed.

11) Eight Crazy Nights - The Adam Sandler animated classic has a young Jewish Boy who grows up in a generous and benevolent community of neighbors and friends, but after his parents died in a tragic car accident on Hanukkah, en route to see him in his big basketball game. Growing up with resentment towards the holidays, (Hunukkah especially) he becomes a degenerate, an alcoholic, and a vandal. However; through a series of crazy (and romantic, singsongy, and generally humorous) events, Davey (Sandler) finds his way into the arms of the community and his loved ones once again. Though animated, it's not generally for kids, but I can promise your teenagers are gonna get a real kick out of Whitey (also Sandler) having grand mal seizures every time he gets worked up.

12) The Nightmare Before Christmas - Though generally not deemed a "Holiday" or even "Christmas" movie, the plain truth is that the film is more about the celebration (and misrepresentation/treatment of the Holiday) than it is about Halloween. Though Tim Burton (in all his gothic glory) tried to create a film as unapproachably Christmasy as possible, the film still wears down to the fact that Jack misinterprets Christmas. He assumes it is just about the toys and the glitter and the snow, and all of the physical things, and who can blame Jack? After everything he sees and all the stories that are shared, can we really argue that Christmas or the Holidays are about anything else, these days?

13) Home Alone

14) Ernest Saves Christmas

15) Miracle on 34th St.

16) Jingle All The Way

17) Bad Santa

18) The Grinch (2000)

19) Fred Clause

20) Black Christmas (74)

21) Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

22) The Family Stone

23) Deck the Halls

24) The Nutcracker Prince (Animated 1990's)

25) Four Christmases

[Edited on 3/12/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Svartfreja »

As a Brit, I feel I should say there is two GLARING omissions from that list.

The Snowman and Father Christmas. I've watched them every year for as long as I can remember. They're always on here and it wouldn't be Christmas without hearing 'Walking in the Air' at least once or hearing 'Another Bloomin' Christmas'.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Indigo_Lady »

You are missing some of the movies I think are memorable

First and Foremost - The Nativity Story - the reason for the season after all

also

White Christmas / Holiday Inn - The Danny Kay version is the best. I won't miss this one once a year.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York - This was my favorite of the Home Alone movies

The Polar Express

While You Were Sleeping - Love story based at Christmas time - probably my favorite "chick flick" of all time

The Christmas That Almost Wasn't - An attorney tries to stop a miserly landlord from evicting Santa Claus and taking away all his toys.

Babes in Toyland - Disney version

[Edited on 12/3/11 by Indigo_Lady]
Always a Queen of Narnia

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds. G.K. Chesterton

Favorite X-Men: :engarde :storm :colossus :nocturne :gambit :rogue :hank :psylocke
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The Nativity Story and Polar Express almost made it into the cut, but I finally decided that those two just didn't it the demographic.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of The Nativity Story. I like it over Passion, for sure, but I can't say it's a Christmas Favorite, personally. I thought the directing and acting was rather lame. I think Tom Cruise could've easily been Joseph the way this guy acts. However; the movie was very interesting concept. I wish someone with bigger guns had tackled it, honestly.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by steyn »

I actually liked The Family Man as a nice christmas movie.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I totally forgot The Family Man!

I wonder if I have time to switch that out with Four Christmases! I mean... it's a holiday movie, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a CHRISTMAS movie... but it totally makes the cut! GOOD CALL STEYN!

Freja,

I haven't heard of either of those.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Svartfreja »

Ult_Sm86 wrote: Freja,

I haven't heard of either of those.

.... what? Seriously?

Omfg

DEPRIVED!

I demand you google them RIGHT NOW!

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Link?
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Svartfreja »

Okay so, the Snowman is like the classic movie here, it's on every year. It's an animation and there's no talking at all. It's all done to music which is just beautiful as it is but the story is just lovely. It's about a little boy that builds a snowman on Christmas Eve and during the night it comes to life and they go on a magical adventure with each other and a very famous song (well famous here dunno about everywhere else) plays on part of that night. So here it is Walking in the Air sung by a little choir boy called Aled Jones (he's all grown up now).

Then a few years later the same company animated a movie about Father Christmas himself. About what he does the rest of the year when he's not delivering presents. He attempts a summer holiday. This one has talking and it's quite amusing and sweet and the closing song for it's just brilliant. Merry Bloomin' Christmas from the fat man himself :toothy

You can probably watch both movies in their entirety on YouTube and I definitely reccomend doing that. They're only like an hour long and the animation is so warm and friendly. They're great movies for kidlets too ¬.¬

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Omg! I have seen the snowman..... It's really weird.... But good.
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Top 25 Holiday Films

Post by Svartfreja »

It always makes me cry lol