Macs, Chatrooms, Routers, And Fathers

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

As you guys may or may not know, I have a very stubborn and obnoxious dad who firmly believes he knows whats up with computers and insists that any problems I have with internet connections are totally my Mac's fault.
Possible? Sure. Likely. No. Here's why:

I can't access Pipeline (my schools site for accessing grades/class schedules/other important things such as transferal manuscripts), Chat rooms, and URI's transfer section (all of these things I am assuming I am firewalled out of) but if I bring my mac to my friends house, my girlfriends, or even to school itself, there's never any problems. I get right in. So for a while I was convinced it was his Norton, but I know now, without a doubt its his Router. He argues that it must be my computer not co-operating with his router and therefore its not his fault, but this is preposterous because my Wii also does not connect online for one-one-one play from home but will anywhere else. I've brought this issue up with HM but now that I know the key problems, I'm addressing here for anyone, because any help is good help.

So here's the real problem: I'm trying to transfer into a major university and I can't seem to ever be able to access any of my information for the online application from home and it's getting old asking my girlfriend to constantly login for me. I know I'm being firewalled out but I can't prove it or get around it. I don't know how to fight him anymore about this, because he's so stubborn and persistent that I can't keep up anymore!

The Router is a Motorola SBG900 Wireless SURFboard, (Gateway). I've read online reviews a week ago when I discovered it was indeed the router giving me trouble and i found one site with 12 reviews. Five were bad.
The seven good reviews sounded like this:

"Oh wow, this is great. It looks really good on my shelf, its easy to hook up, and I have no problems anymore! YAY FIREWALLS!"

the bad reviews read like so:

"This is a TERRIBLE router for any novice, I spent half my day de-firewalling everything from my Tivo to all my kids Game systems. I've never had router that gave me more trouble for such small things. (Insert technical jargon which I cannot comprehend nor summarize)."

Needless to say, the bad reviews seemed more genuine. I need a way to get around this and I can't find any. The IT guy at school told me to jack in directly with a cord and see if that helped, but I'm so new to Mac-world I have NO IDEA how to do so, and I'm assuming its the same as any other laptop, but I don't wanna make a mistake and screw up! Anyways, Any help at all will be much appreciated! THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME!!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Jack in directly with a cord? As in connect the other end of the cord behind your comp and the other end behind the router?

There is of course an easier way out.

Buy a new router, prices variate between $1000+ and $20.

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/routers/p/66/

[Edited on 23/2/2008 by Crocodile Hunter]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

As right as you are, my dad is a stubborn prick and won't budge. I realize this is easier but he won't allow me to do it. Are there any ways of getting AROUND it is what I'm asking.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

No.

Sorry for the late response, I've been at a conference and I'm on the road right now.

But no. Not unless you have the administrator password to the router.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

... Pretend I do.

:shifty
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Then you read the manual for the router and determine how to remove the rules that are blocking your access to each service.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

For your convenience, the User Guide for your device is here. You cannot physically circumnavigate the device ("jack in directly with a cord"), as it is a cable modem, the base device providing your Internet connection.

We really can't provide any further assistance with this connectivity problem, as it is not a problem specific to Nightscrawlers services, and it involves a third-party device for which you should already have support. If you're completely stymied, your father should be able to contact either Motorola support or your ISP's support. If he is unwilling to do so, unfortunately, your issue cannot be resolved.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Man. well thanks anyways for trying HM.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

No problem.

This issue has been resolved.

Thanks!

-HoodedMan
Network Administrator