Conversation

This subforum contains questions and issues that have either been answered or addressed, or they are no longer applicable/have expired.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So I was told to try out Conversation for Macs to get into the chat from my home (due to firewall issues.) Well I downloaded it, it seems easy enough, 'cept I can't figure out how to add Nightscrawlers to my list or if there is a list or how I even access it if it isn't a list.

Point is I have the pen but I got no paper to write on and I don't know which shelf it's in. Anyone got any ideas? Or help?

Thanks ahead of time!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Conversation

Post by HoodedMan »

I'm assuming you've set up an identity already.
The service is NickServ, incidentally, and the password is your password.

In the Server List dialog, click the Add... button.

Network: Nightscrawlers
Group: ShadowedCorner
Identity: Default Identity or identity of your choice

If you did not configure a password for the selected identity:
Commands: /msg NickServ identify password

Check Connect on application start up if you want Konversation to automatically connect to this network whenever you open Konversation.

Click Add... button in the Servers frame.

Server: chat.nightscrawlers.com
Port: 8067

Click the OK button to close the Add Server dialog, then click the OK button to close the Add Network dialog.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Okay... pretend I don't know anything about what you're saying.

Hypothetically, I have set up my identity? After all of that, most of what you're saying...I don't see... now let's say, a lot of the things you're asking me to click are THERE just not where you say they are... what do I do then?

Like server list, and click add button.

There's a server list but I can't click on any of them for some reason. Its like when someone has just left on iChat, there name is there, but they're not. You can't click it. And as for "Add" there's a plus sign (like in iChat) for NEW but when I click that I get a bar that says SERVER and some arrows next to it so I can chose another option such as Channel, Private, or Direct.

So you said server. so I chose server. Well the only place for me to type something is at the bottom so I type in the server name but then it just appears as one of the unclickable options in my "Server" bar. Make it even worse I can see where it says Network, Group, and Identity, but it won't let me click any of it. I don't really know how in sam hill this program works, and I barely understand everything about ichat, so I think that could help if I did. Regardless, I can't seem to get it to work.

sorry I'm not computer savvy...
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Conversation

Post by HoodedMan »

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to click anything... I checked and my instructions were for Konversation, which I have; I don't know if Conversation is related at all. According to the Conversation website:

"In most IRC clients, setting up a new IRC server connection is a pain. In Conversation simply click on the + button, enter the address of the server and type enter. That's it you are connected!"

Well, the address of the server is chat.nightscrawlers.com:8067. Try it and let me know.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Not working...maybe I should try Konversation instead of CONVERSATION. S'far it ain't working.

You don't think its my dad's firewall do you?
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Conversation

Post by HoodedMan »

I find it extremely unlikely. And I don't have a computer with OS X around, so I can't really give good instructions... damn. Does anyone else have OS X that's willing to test this?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I was given the suggestion of Conversation via Jsherlock I think...(I think...)....

I love my Mac but when you've been using PC for 20 years, and you go Mac out of the blue...its a hard transistion...I'm still trying to figure things out. The other day all my screen savers turned pink. ???

Anyways, I'm gonna delete and re-download conversation and try it again from my friends house with his brother (who's been Mac his whole life) so maybe he can help. Thanks for the advice you gave though HM. I think what you said is right, it just is something on my end.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Conversation

Post by JSherlock »

I did recommend conversation, and I haven't had any problems. :D
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well what the Phantom Menace is the problem with my Mac then? Why is it always MY mac that has this sith?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I might have found a working version of Conversation, I'm trying it now. Apparently what I had was the "new" version which I read some reviews on and it appears everyone hates it. Thankfully, this one looks like it's gonna work for me...

except this...it's telling me the server address is wrong. The port is right, but it's saying that the chat.nightscrawlers.com is not right, which I don't get. But it looks like it'll work if I can get over that hump.

[Edited on 22/1/08 by Ult_Sm86]
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Conversation

Post by HoodedMan »

Does it say what specifically is wrong about it? The only problems I can think of that would result in the server name resolving improperly would also result in massive Internet access failure. You specified port 6000? If so, did you try the backup port, 8067?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

i used 8067 not 6000 i didn't know that was it. That'll probably work! awesome! THANK U!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So I used it from home and it doesn't work. I think it's got something to do with my dad's firewall, I really do. It worked at my friends house... crap.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Conversation

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, maybe so then. But that'd be quite a stringent firewall.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Norton is a surly bitch For sure.

Well I tried using it at my friends again and i got a message saying it didn't recognize my username. But I'm still on. Regardless it doesn't matter I'm just gonna keep doing what i'm doing. Sorry for any unnecessary hassle.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Conversation

Post by HoodedMan »

... if it's Norton Internet Security, then I can help you fix this; it's not at all uncommon. Norton *would* do this. But I didn't know it was made for Macs, so I didn't ask.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conversation

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's not it's not on my computer it's on my dad's but i bum off of his wireless. Is there any way I can make it stop?