Is your baby gay? Wanna screw with it just in case?

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I saw this on the Colbert Report and went to find the article and here it is!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01162.html

Ok, so, bright side! Acceptance that homosexuality is not a choice and people are born this way.

However. Who the hell would be so dumb to try to screw with their unborn's hormones? Who the hell would listen to a reverand and a church regarding prenatal care and how to use hormones against your fetus?

Really, I don't know everything about fetal growth and development, but I do know that introducing shit to it that doesn't belong usually just ends in screwed up babies.

And come ON. Why can't people live and let live? The sooner these people just accept gays exist and will always exist, the happier their lives will be. And more fabulous! :P
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

This is the possibility that, if a biological marker (real or not) is ever claimed to mark homosexuality in prenatal testing, widespread abortion of such babies might well follow,"
WTF!? The whole thing is crazy, but the idea that parents would abort a baby because it was gay.... those kinds of parents need not be parents.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Likely, the type of person who would abort a child for being gay is the same person who'd be pro-life...what a conundrum!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Post by kamizzi »

Huh? yeah, let's begin an extinction.
Pfff.
Who gave them power to do that, hm?
:?
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
Likely, the type of person who would abort a child for being gay is the same person who'd be pro-life...what a conundrum!
Oh. Harsh.

-e
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

welcome to my region of the world. A lot of people own here are vehemently anti abortion, to the point of attacking people coming in and going out of clinics, and yet they'd never think twice over aborting their own child if there was half a hint it would be gay.

And these same people wonder why, once people have been outed, they no longer attend services. I mean damn, people. Whatever happened to the 'treat others as you would be treated' that your teachers told you in grade school?
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Harsh is right.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I'll agree its harsh...but do you disagree with the statement?

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

It was a generalizing statement, I will admit, and I didn't mean it to be taken so generally. I am just pointing out that people who are anti-gay usually run on the conservative side of things, including being pro-life. So, who exactly is the reverand trying to stop from having abortions because their child is gay??

Unless the tide changes when people find out their unborn is gay. Which...well, for some the issue is always different when it actually effects them.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
Who the hell would be so dumb to try to screw with their unborn's hormones?
"Hmm... gay... or flipper baby... gay... or flipper baby... hmm...."
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor

Paws
Yes, I do. With the exception of Phelps and his ilk, I don't believe that anyone who opposes elective abortion would change their mind in order to kill a gay fetus. Those who would are simply against abortion when it's convenient for them to be so, not truly pro-life.

Also, being pro-life never has been a cut and dried matter of being liberal or conservative. There are, after all, a lot of liberal pro-life organizations around. I've thrown in my support for Democrats for Life and Feminists for Life, for starters.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

You know, without being the bad guy, but I would tend to the abortion of a homosexual child.

This has totally nothing to do with being homophobic or stuff like that, just imagine: You probably will never have grandchildren (at least the normal way, adoption and other practices left aside), you will have to raise a child that probably will never have the same sexual orientation as you (which makes raising it that much harder), and finally, all the hardships your gay kid will have to go through, you won't be able to offer it a life that is, by the majority of society, considered as normal.

All parents who "end up" with a gay child are doing so completely coincidentally, and not only a few come out as brilliant parents, but be honest: Do you think they would have even remotely thought they'd be good at it before it happened?
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Originally posted by Angelique

Paws
Yes, I do. With the exception of Phelps and his ilk, I don't believe that anyone who opposes elective abortion would change their mind in order to kill a gay fetus. Those who would are simply against abortion when it's convenient for them to be so, not truly pro-life.

Also, being pro-life never has been a cut and dried matter of being liberal or conservative. There are, after all, a lot of liberal pro-life organizations around. I've thrown in my support for Democrats for Life and Feminists for Life, for starters.
Oh, fully agreed. The statement wasn't that all pro-lifers were pro-aborting-gay-babies, but that pro-aborting-gay-babiers were likely to be pro-life in other circumstances.
You know, without being the bad guy, but I would tend to the abortion of a homosexual child.

This has totally nothing to do with being homophobic or stuff like that, just imagine: You probably will never have grandchildren (at least the normal way, adoption and other practices left aside), you will have to raise a child that probably will never have the same sexual orientation as you (which makes raising it that much harder), and finally, all the hardships your gay kid will have to go through, you won't be able to offer it a life that is, by the majority of society, considered as normal.

All parents who "end up" with a gay child are doing so completely coincidentally, and not only a few come out as brilliant parents, but be honest: Do you think they would have even remotely thought they'd be good at it before it happened?
I had people come up and ask me a similar thing before I concieved my children, as I had a husband of a different race. 'Don't you think they'll be picked on in school.' and all that. Some flat out thought I was doing a bad thing by purposefully concieving bi-racial children. I was stunned.

Needless to say your statement is also a shock. Gay people aren't aliens. You raise a gay child the same way you'd raise any other child, with love, boundaries and acceptance of who they are as a person. Its not rocket science. (well actually being a parent is tough, but that goes across the board).

My kids will 'never be like the majority'. They are different, and kids have already noticed and commented on that. Yes, they will most likely even face some judgement on that into adulthood. Do I regret concieving them? Hell no. And no one should ever feel that judgement for their child, just based on the morons in society. Since when am I going to let the ignorant choose if my child has a right to existance?

Aborting fetuses just based on the fact that they may be gay is abhorent. While I respect the right for women to choose...it is not in my comfort zone to abort for any other reason than profound medical complications or unusual extenuating circumstances.

The actions of this small group of zealots (who obviously only represent a very small part of Christianity - I would think that most Christians would not support this) only proves just how far from God that they really are.

Paws
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I had people come up and ask me a similar thing before I concieved my children, as I had a husband of a different race. 'Don't you think they'll be picked on in school.' and all that. Some flat out thought I was doing a bad thing by purposefully concieving bi-racial children. I was stunned.

Needless to say your statement is also a shock. Gay people aren't aliens. You raise a gay child the same way you'd raise any other child, with love, boundaries and acceptance of who they are as a person. Its not rocket science. (well actually being a parent is tough, but that goes across the board).

My kids will 'never be like the majority'. They are different, and kids have already noticed and commented on that. Yes, they will most likely even face some judgement on that into adulthood. Do I regret concieving them? Hell no. And no one should ever feel that judgement for their child, just based on the morons in society. Since when am I going to let the ignorant choose if my child has a right to existance?
:clap :clap :clap

I might also want to mention that kids, depending on how well they're raised, may not care or perhaps may even appreciate how other kids may be different.

Unfortunately, that depends on their parents and other influences. I had to resurrect my "and just what are you looking at?" glare when, on an outing with some of my ethnically diverse extended family, we got a few odd stares.

My cousin was tempted to answer, when confronted with the question, "Aren't you afraid your children will be picked on?" with the following. "Why? Are you afraid your children will pick on mine?"

[Edited on 21/11/2007 by Angelique]

[Edited on 21/11/2007 by Angelique]

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Yup. And so the same thing goes across the board. If one of my kids is gay, that's just part of who they are - and I love who they are. I just want them to be happy, and do right by others. Unfortunately there is no guarentee of not being picked on. Look at how many white, middle class, normal kids are profoundly bullied.

I don't understand why its so hard for people just to be kind...but I suppose its human nature.

Paws
puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

Yuuuurk!! :yech The very idea of that makes my skin crawl, and if it was ever possible it's one step closer to designer babies.

I can't help but think of the senario if this ever became true, of the child finding out that thier mother had done this. 1) It's such a violation to the child and 2) "Would mom and dad have hated me if I turned out gay?" That's a real mind-fuck for the kid.
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Freak

Not to pile on here, Freak, but is an abnormal life not better than no life at all? If you'd be uncomfortable raising a gay child, then one solution is putting it up for adoption. I personally know many, many couples who want to adopt, some of which are queer couples who would be rather more suited than most to raise gay children.

Finally, your last question seems to betray your initial statement. "They" may not have even remotely thought they'd be good at it before it happened, but they turned out all right. The majority of parents do, actually. Fear of failure should not make you reject any new experience entirely.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Guardian-of-Tears

I can't help but think of the senario if this ever became true, of the child finding out that thier mother had done this. 1) It's such a violation to the child and 2) "Would mom and dad have hated me if I turned out gay?" That's a real mind-fuck for the kid.
I dunno. It would depend on a lot of things. Look at the circumcision debate. Millions of men were snipped (altered) by their parents. Their reactions range from "YOU HAD NO RIGHT" to "whatever" to "thanks, mom and dad!"

Oh, I get it. I read the thread before reading the article. Messing with hormones is supposed to prevent abortion. Ha ha ha. What will they think of next.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir