The Avengers Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

If you read "The Avengers", "The Mighty Avengers", "Secret Avengers", "New Avengers", or even "Avengers Academy" you know what I'm talking about when I say:

Wow.

That's a lot to keep straight.

My big problem with Bendis' Avengers was the artwork. Romita's style is either too dated or he's trying to purposely date it, and I couldn't deal with buying issue after issue of that nonsense. He unfortunately has recently returned to the book, (just when I was thinking of picking it up again), but I keep getting told that "Mighty" & "New" are the titles to read anyways.

Anyone else know about this? What's the new team-lineups with Moon Knight off doing his own thing now and Beast back with the X-Men? Is there even still a Secret Avengers?

Which of them is your favorite? Why?

I like Bendis' style of writing, but it was taking on a LOT at once. (Heroic Age nonsense).

Also,

I feel like Avengers Academy is just the Young Justice of Marvel. Am I wrong? Is this a bad thing? I feel like I don't want to read something that is mostly about people training... I can always just read New Mutants for that, right?

[Edited on 24/9/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Svartfreja »

First of all, totally agree on the art front. Every time I see Romita's name on the front I cry a little. I feel bad but jeeze... it all just looks so rushed and sketchy and the hair and spider-woman keeps getting manface... it saddens me. I think if he like slowed down or something it wouldn't be so bad...

But aside from the art, the comic itself is pretty freaking awesome. I love the Avengers books. I don't read Secret Avengers because I wasn't reallly interested in any of the characters when it started (though now I have a new found love for Cap and the trades are staring at me). But Avengers, New Avengers and Avengers Academy are just brilliant.

The stories are engaging, the characters are their usual lovable selves and the art (for the most part) is great. Most people that know me from chat know that I stalk particular characters which is why I read Avengers Academy in the first place (for Quicksilver and Tigra and more recently Pym) but the kidlets are growing on me slowly and it's nice to watch new heroes grow and get to grips with the whole 'they're not evil really' thing.

New Avengers is just freaking awesome. The whole team is just brilliant (though of course I focus on Ms Marvel) and now it promises to get even more interesting with the new addition of Daredevil. Which is chiefly because, as anyone that has followed the Avengers for a long time knows, he has flatly refused to join the Avengers (despite repeated requests from Steve Rogers himself) since before the Secret Invasion stuff started.

And so to Avengers. I love this comic (despite the hair and the manface and all of the weird and wonderful cardboard pizza in the background). It's just fantastic. The mix of characters is really interesting and I have so many favourites in theres. I would definately recommend giving it a go even though the art is occasionally painful, it's well worth the read.

(as an aside, the New Mutants are totally over the getting to know their powers thing. They are badass now)
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Freak »

Not a big Avengers fan :3

That said, I frikken love the Revengers.
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Svartfreja »

Blasphemy. That was a waste of an annual.

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Freak, tell me more of this revengers.... Anything like Dark Avengers? Or Venture Bros. "The Revenge Society"?
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Freak »

The showed up in the New Avengers annual. Band of c-list heroes and Wonder Man taking down the New Avengers quite impressively because they think the Avengers do more damage than good.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I like that concept a lot.... They gonna run with it and make a series, at least a mini?
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Starfish »

Out of the assorted Avengers titles, Academy is probably my favourite. And it's much less about young super-heroes in training doing excercises than one might think. It's quite character driven, in fact, and I prefer to watch a new cast grow and develop instead of trying to get into some of Marvel's big and well established heroes with huge backstories.
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Star -- that's a great take. I'm going to peek at that title for sure now, but no promises about adding it to the pull.

DCBS is looking friendlier & friendlier.
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Freak »

I have come to dislike Avengers Academy. Too much teenage angst made worse by the whole powers thing.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

*taps his arteries*

That's like my crack, man.
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Svartfreja »

Okay so... New Avengers had a .1 this week

OMG

So much awesome

I'm totally excited for the next big plot!

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well out with it! What's the plot? Lol
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Svartfreja »

Well you know me, I don't like to give out spoilers...

But it does include Norman Osborn (who I adore) and, from the looks of the last page, Viper too which fills me with absolute glee. My two favourite villains ^_^

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

That's pretty sweet. If you can find some panels/previews, I'd appreciate 'em. How's the art in that book lately?

I was contemplating grabbing that in TPB.
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Avengers Discussion

Post by Svartfreja »

New Avengers is always pretty good, they had a different artist for the .1 but it wasn't bad still... though Norman was magically back to his cornrows somehow.... continuity fail.