Nightscrawlers Chat: Use it or we risk losing it

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Friends and Fellow 'Scrawlers -

The admins and staff here have worked to provide us with a variety of ways to express ourselves and communicate with each other. That is what being a community is all about and I love seeing the forum so active with people talking about so many different subjects, posting art and fiction, playing internet games etc. It's great. I know that I'm busy with school and I don't spend nearly as much time here as I'd like, but you should know that when I get a break, this is the first place I come. 'Scrawlers kick ass in more ways than I can describe.

I'm concerned though, that while the forums are getting much love, our chat room is getting neglected. Being able to talk with people across the globe in real time is an amazing thing to me. I've had access to the internet since 1992 and it should be old hat by now, yet it still blows my mind. I know there are lots of places on the internet to chat, but I want us to have our place because... Well, I guess I'm kind of an elitist pig, but I like to imagine that any place with "nightscrawlers.com" in its URL is a little bit better than all the rest of places on the internet. This is, of course, due to the fact that 'Scrawlers kick ass in more ways than I can describe.

Several of our chatroom regulars have been looking for ways to encourage activity there and I thought I'd add my ideas and support to their efforts. Like any resource it needs to be used or it will go away. No, it won't go away in the sense that it will be uninstalled or anything like that, but an empty chatroom isn't much fun - nor is it much use.

So, if you haven't visited chat I urge you to click on the link up at the top of the forums, create a chatroom username, and check it out. More than that, I would recommend that as a community, that we begin to use it like one. We are not large enough to guarantee a large crowd in chat at all hours of the day so I would suggest we begin treating it like a shared community space and announce times to gather and chat. For instance, when Nightcrawler #11 comes out in a week and completes the Winding Way arc I plan on holding a series of Chats about the arc and the series in general. I will announce the dates and times in advance so people can be prepared by signing up, learning the ropes if they need to, etc... For example:
"Friday, Nov. 4nd at 7pm CST - Come to Nightscrawlers Chat to discuss the final arc of the Nightcrawler Solo Book".
Anyone is welcome to host a chat like this on any subject, at any time, (it doesn't have to be fancy as long as it's not inappropriate) and I will make sure the announcements are seen either by putting them in the ticker up above or by some other means.

The community here at Nightscrawlers is one of the warmest and most diverse I've encountered (like the character that brought us together) - together we can ensure that every avenue of communication this place offers is used to strengthen the bond we already share. I would hate to see even one go away.

Thank you
-e
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

That is fantastic Em! Thank you so much for your support. Unfortunately I can't make it on that particular date, because of the time zone...But hopefully there will be other opportunities later on.
As fore the rest. I'll be delighted to meet you online. I try to log in as many hours as possible in evenings (CET) and if it's a quiet evening I'm sometimes a bit "AFK". So please have a little bit of patience!;)
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

I like chatting, but the time zone difference for me usually means i get people either wanting to go to bed as it is *really* early in the morning, while for me its midafternoon - is there any kind of site that says what times are in different countries? if so we can link to it and then say "I can chat with other um... chatters at such-and-such a time" or something, and people can chat accordingly - as well as random chatty people who just want to :chatty

any thoughts?
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Here is a link to the World Time Converter. It let's you put in a time of an event in a one timezone, and converts it to your timezone.

For instance, for the Nightcrawler #11 chat that is happening on Nov 4th, at 7pm CST, I entered that information and it gives me a drop down list where I can find out the equivalent timezone anywhere else in the world.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?

-e
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

yep! Thanks

i usually like to chat on weekends, although i can't really chat this week, as there has been a death in the family :(
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
rad_666
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by rad_666 »

It's a great idea, but I won't be on since it will be 1am my time... :rolleyes Happy chatting!
Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend, to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide :dance

I AM THE LOLLY LADY! :eeevil bow to meh :worship :eeevil
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

Oh my, that's 2 am... so have fun, ya all.:*)
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

if i read right its friday?

good. thats like. 3:00am 5. marraskuuta 2005

so.. :P
Technical Administrator
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Rogue PHP Script

Post by Technical Administrator »

It largely works for people in the U.S., though, fortunately.

Unfortunately, I would be there but I'm helping with a production on that day and it should run until about 10:00 PM my time. It's unfortunate there are so many conflicts. Hopefully other people can come.

Thank you,
-Technical Administrator
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

It seems that the whole purpose of my post was largely missed.

I was suggesting that by posting a date and time in advance that you will be in the chatroom, it would be a good way to get some traffic in there. My Friday Nov. 4th post was an example of one way to get people to come to chat. I thought a "hosted chat" where someone promises to be in there for an hour or so on a specfic day was a cool idea.

So far all that has been discussed in this thread is why 7pm on Friday Nov. 4th is not a good time for the folks overseas.

True. I see all of your points.

So. Why don't one of you guys overseas host a chat fits better into your schedule?

Allow me to quote myself from the first post, only bigger and yellow-er:
Anyone is welcome to host a chat like this on any subject, at any time, (it doesn't have to be fancy as long as it's not inappropriate) and I will make sure the announcements are seen either by putting them in the ticker up above or by some other means.
Anyone and any subject at any time - means you, talking about whatever you want, whenever you want to talk about it. Since one of the best things about Nightscrawlers is its international membership, this most definitely includes the timezones in Europe and Asia. :)

However, until that time, because I love you, I will host a 2nd chat. It will be at 6pm GMT on November 5th. (ie - 6pm in London on Nov. 5).

That means it will be at:
8pm in Finland
2am in Australia (I can't be perfect. It is a round planet after all...)
7pm in Belgium
7pm in Germany
12pm USA Central Standard Time
Use this link to find your timezone.

I hope between those two times, many of our members will be able to attend one or the other of these hosted chats. I would love to get a chance to meet our everyone in real time and I think we'll have a lot of fun.

If anyone wants to volunteer to help with these or other hosted chats in the future please let me know. If anyone has a day or time they plan to be in chat - please drop me a note and I'll put it up in the announcements bar for you.

Thanks and see you in the chat room!
-e
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

why not have that 3th day chat at umm.. 5'o clock (your time). It would be only 01:00am in here and so it wouldnt be so.. late.

promising an hour in a one specific day is hard because you never know what can happen :P

but ofcourse the later chat day at november 5th is good. Except its sunday :P
rad_666
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by rad_666 »

Saint Kurt, you are the best.
See everyone there! :wave
Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend, to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide :dance

I AM THE LOLLY LADY! :eeevil bow to meh :worship :eeevil
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by StarChild »

Hiya', Saint Kurt! It's one of your newer members! Been to chat, but there was only 2 other people online at the time! That ain't no fun, sunshine! I look forward to talking to somebody someday soon! :D

:peek THE ELF IS THE BEST!!

P.S. ...I am open to any time...care to make a suggestion? Chicago?? I grew up in Milwaukee! Great Lakes RULE!! :clap

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
Haver
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Haver »

Just an idea, but is it possible to have a countdown timer on the main page that says something like "The next scheduled chat is in 2 days, 12 hours and 43 minutes?" That would absolve any time zone confusion.
Tyros
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tyros »

SOrry missed the last scheduled chat, it was my friends b-day :( I will try next time though!