Chat installation will not be postponed

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

We have a new version of phpMyChat installed along with this upgrade now. It's installed but it's not running.

The reason is that you can only have so many database connections on this host. We are already using one and chat would require another. As we are guests, it is simply too many resources.

However plans are being made to move as I write so it will not be that long. Just think, we basically got to open our present (nightscrawlers) early so now we get to wait for chat.

:)

-e
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

No problem, as there is a perfectly good back up chat on http://p097.ezboard.com/bnotscrawlers for the hopelessly addicted. (like me!)
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Northstar pointed out to me this evening that he had an open database connection on his server - so why not run chat off that?

And I thought, yeah, why not run chat off that?

So the upgraded chat I installed last night is now running on Northstar's server as of this evening.

Here are a few notes about the new chat:
- It's a new version of the software. I keep calling it "new and improved" but we don't know that for sure so keep your eyes open for problems. If you're using chat and you see something strange please post about it don't just blame it on "the internet" or "the weird server thing" because we might have to go back to the version we were using.

- We lost some our configuration files so we had to write new ones. Amongst what was lost was:
The colors - We had to redo all the colors which turned out to be kind of difficult. Let us know how the colors are working for you because we may be tweaking those.
The Welcome message - No great loss. I wrote a new one but it keeps coming up all garbled. I don't know it it's a bug or something with the message I wrote. I'll work on it.
The smilies - We didn't lose the actual smilies themselves - just the configuration file that tells chat what to type for each one. So we need to rebuild that. I know, it sucks, everybody loved the smilies in chat, but so far it's like one of the only things we've not been able to get back.

We were able to get back the complete user file so that's good. You won't have to remake your chat accounts or anything.

So there you have it. The chat button is up there at the top. Go forth and ... chat.

-e
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Good Work Em! Thanks for getting the chat back up even tho I'm rarely in there anymore. :shame

Alas, things could change. They always do with me. :P
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

I will try to be a bit more entertaining, Luvvie. Anyway, I tried to log in and it does not seem to work right now...

Database error: Invalid SQL: INSERT INTO c_messages VALUES (1, 'Nightscrawlers', 'SYS welcome', '', '1122394350', 'Elwing', 'sprintf("Welcome to the New and Improved Nightscrawlers Chat! Chat looks a little different than it did in the past and there is both a good and bad reason for that. The good reason is that phpMyChat has been upgraded for the first time in almost 5 years and we have it. The bad reason is that we lost some of our configuration files in the server crash including the one with all the smilies. So we may have to rebuild our smilie library, but at least we were able to save our user accounts. If you are new to chat pick a color at the bottom and join in. We're glad to be back and we're glad to have you with us.")')
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

If that was this morning Elwing, it was because I was trying to stop the Welcome message from showing up all garbled like it does.

I may just have to shorten it, because at the moment it looks like gibberish.

Thanks!
-e