Welcome back everyone!

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Welcome back everyone!

Post by Saint Kurt »

This is the message I should have written this morning but ran out of time for. I didn't want to keep the new Nightscrawlers off the air for another minute longer so given that I'd been keeping the forum members in the loop with my regular updates I figured people would be able to figure out what was going on.

And just because I like to hear myself type....

The Nightscrawlers you're looking at now is the new and improved Nightscrawlers running on upgraded forum software - we've gone from xmb 1.9 to 1.9.1. I think we'll see a lot of benefits besides just general stability, especially the return of U2Us and a new gallery with all our old pictures back.

You'll notice from the URL above that we are guests of xmb support engineer Karl who may just be one of the coolest and most generous people on the planet. He's hanging out here with us as Karl-XMB. Besides helping us fix our board he's giving us a place to stay until I'm ready to migrate the site to our new host. He deserves our respect and gratitude.

Northstar was also indespensible in getting us back running as he had the much needed mysql skills to put our data back into working order. One of the scariest things about this crash was no knowing if we were going to able to put nightscrawlers' database back together again.

And mention must be given to NWKurt who handed his cell phone to a friend whenevery thing looked the most hopeless. It was this friend who told me that my idea of "reverse engineering" backups from our runtime files wasn't insane afterall.

So that's how we almost lost Nightscrawlers for good as well as why we're hanging out on someone else's server for a little while. Our next steps will be to move to a new host. In the past Nightscrawlers shared space with other forums, but in this new space it won't, it will just be Nightscrawlers.

You'll notice none of the hacks are installed at the moment so there are no spoiler tags etc. These will be installed one at a time over the coming weeks. We'll announce when they're installed so you can help us test them and make sure that they're not breaking anything. Chat is also missing and I'm going to try and get that up shortly. We may need to wait until we reach our permanent home - I'll keep everyone posted.

So that's the story. If you have any questions or concerns about the new board feel free to send me a U2U about it or post them here.

Thanks and Welcome back!
-e
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Welcome back everyone!

Post by HoodedMan »

I think that in listing people to thank you have forgotten a very important person... yourself. Without you, this could never have happened. You had the access to back up everything, you had the determination to make every effort to get it up as fast as possible, you had the idea to create a backup board in the meantime, so our service was uninterrupted.

Perhaps other people managed the technical details, but you were the one who knew what you wanted us to do, you got us the files that we needed, and you were the one that kept track of our efforts even with huge time zone differences just to make sure that everything was being done as quickly as possible with no lost time.

Nightscrawlers owes you everything, for without you everyone else involved could not have done anything. You did a great job as a new administrator in really taking the initiative.

Wind to thy wings.
-Northstar
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Welcome back everyone!

Post by Diablo »

Again : an enormous thank you !!

It's great to see how much you all care about this place we love so much.

BRAVO ! :wave
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Welcome back everyone!

Post by bluefooted »

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. You guys Rawk hard :D
Thanks so much for all the hard work and stress and bother you had to go through for us 'Scrawlers - we really appreciate it . You should throw yourselves a party :beer

Thanks guys!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Welcome back everyone!

Post by Rowena »

Yay! You guys are fantastic! Sorry I wasn't able to say anything sooner, but I was sick for a few days after my birthday. (Our water supply's contaminated by some bacteria at the moment, but they only told us AFTER I got sick!) Anyway, coming back to see this site up is the best birthday present I could ask for. Thank you so much for everything you did to get it working again!!!
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Welcome back everyone!

Post by HoodedMan »

:bday :bday :bday Happy Birthday! :bday :bday :bday
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Welcome back everyone!

Post by Rowena »

:D :D :D Thank you!!!!!!! :D :D :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
theatrepirate
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Welcome back everyone!

Post by theatrepirate »

Hello! Completely new to this or any forum, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm here because Zamweasel mentioned you guys, and it sounded fun. (Hi! I'm the one who emailed you on Nightcrawler costume ideas, and I showed up here!) I don't know too many people that have a thing for the fuzzy blue elf!

...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Welcome back everyone!

Post by Saint Kurt »

TheatrePirate! Excellent! Welcome.

You certainly have arrived at an interesting time in Nightscrawlers' long and fascinating history. We had a database crash about a week and a half ago that nearly was the end of us, but as you may have noticed looking around that lots of people pitched in to help and we're back and better than before I'd say.
I'm here because Zamweasel mentioned you guys, and it sounded fun. I don't know too many people that have a thing for the fuzzy blue elf!
It is fun! And you'll be in good company when it comes to fans of the fuzzy blue guy here, there's lots of us.

There's lots to see but in particular I can point you to this thread for information about my costume and how I built it.

And feel free to introduce yourself in the Off Topic forum - that's always a fun place to visit and proof that we are well rounded people. :)

Glad to see you made it.
-e
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Welcome back everyone!

Post by kladyelf »

Just gotta say this:

I go away for two-ish weeks and the dang board crashes! *pouts*

But now its back again! Whheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Kudos Zam and all else working on getting the board back up again!

also: Welcome to nightscrawlers theatrepirate! have a cookie *hands theatrepirate a cookie*
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...