.com email addresses able to sign up again

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

.com email addresses able to sign up again

Post by Bamfette »

All i can say is - it's my bad and I am sorry for anyone who attempted to sign up but could not because their email address ended with .com It's fixed now, and you can sign up with no problems.

what happened was is that we have a restriction manager which restricts what usernames you are able to sign up with. we were using it primarily to block usernames used by spammers. some of those merely used their domain as the username, so i entered .com into the restriction manager as a partial match, not realizing it would apply to email addresses as well as uernames. we still got some new members so i did not think anything was amis. It wasn't until me and C tried to sign up with new admin accounts (more on this in another post - to be explained by C) that we realized all our email addresses, even nightscrawlers.com ones, were listed as 'invalid' then i tried a .ca adress, and it worked. looking at recent signups i noticed a lot of .edus and .nets, but no .coms. trying to figure things out it dawned on me that it was the restriction manager restricting not just usernames, but email as well. so. i deleted that restriction, and it is fixed now.