New Forum - version 1.9

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Bamfette »

we got hacked. again. and the hacker deleted our entire staff. again. plus we could not resolve the issue that caused new people signing up for the board to fail, tho we were looking, we just couldn't figure out what was wrong. so we finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the forum though it would be a HUGE pain in the ass. and it even ended up being more of a pain than anticipated as we (tho mostly Bamf Bunny) plugged away at it getting error after error as we tried to upgrade the forum for HOURS. and now, all our hacks are gone. BUT it is secure now. signups work again, it comes with a few new bells and whistles, such as smilies in your mood, an enhanced search page, a spell checker and more!

but please, please please do not complain about missing features. we KNOW what's missing, we will try our best to get the feaures back. we know the red border around every damn thing is annoying. yes, there are some bugs. we will try and fix it. but we need time. it is a lot of work to install those hacks. the board is atleast funcional, so...

but hooray for Bunny! if not for him, it would not even be functional...
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Crawler »

I helped by smiling and nodding and pretending I understood!

And I made fun of Stevie for the entertainment of all!

And thanks again, Bunny!
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Northstars Love »

Which 1.9 version Jill? Is it Beta or did you get the most recent Nightly build? They haven't gone Final yet. My suggestion would to wait until it is officially released as Final then reapply the hacks.

I have to eventually get them all re-installed again on my board. *sigh* :rolleyes

But I'm glad you finally upgraded!!! Thank you Bunny! :D
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Bamfette »

i used a nightly build, and i am not planning on any major hacks for the time being, too busy. but i do want to fix that stupid randomized smilies on the quickreply thing. bugging me no end.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

New Forum - version 1.9

Oh ya. That is a pain! I see that. Also when you click on more smilies you get a long line down instead of straight across. Now if you like a copy of my smilie php file I can email it to you. That may work.

As for the smilies in Quick Reply that would be in the templates area. Have to remember where tho. I'll look into it. ;)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Bamfette »

oh! just called smilie.php? no wonder, i was editing the wrong file, thinking it was called moresmilies.php like the old one

and i know where it is tha i have to change it (viewthread.php, actually, gotta hard-code it in there), i just don't remember the code to change it TO... i used the Nexus style hack for 1.8, and i changed the template drastically to fix that, but the site where i explained how to do this went belly up, and since it was only one of the replies to the original thread, it will not be saved anywhere else
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

New Forum - version 1.9

No, you are correct. It is more smilies.php. But it maybe an older version that you cannot use with 1.9. They have done extensive work on 1.9 in the last two weeks. It just might be that more smilies will not work with the most recent version. It would have to re-worked to work with Final. Like I said I can send my php version to you for More Smilies to see if it will work. But for the random smilies in Quick Reply that is a template issue. I remember going into a template to correct a problem. Can't remember what template tho. :oops
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Bamfette »

it's not a template, actually. iirc, i had to edit viewthread.php. the template only referecnes the php file, you have to change the code at its source
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

New Forum - version 1.9

Just to let you know, 1.9 is being a pain in the ass when it comes to smilies as you see above. Jill you need to go into your smilies area and add a colon to the end of the smilie like this : oops : otherwise you will have a breakup like above with the oops smilie. Without the spaces of course.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Bamfette »

there we go, it's still not exactly to my liking, but i got the smilies in the right place, and not random anymore. I'm off to bed.

is that just smilies like :oops that have double letters at the beginning? because :o which also starts with an o, and others with open ends like :naughty or whatever seem to be fine....
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

New Forum - version 1.9

:oops :o:shocked

Hmm...you may want to add a colon on both sides of the oops smilie to keep it from doing that. In fact I had this very same problem before. Everything was fine one night and I woke up the next morning to every smilie doing similar to what the oops smilie is doing. I ended up adding colons on both sides of the smilie. It fixed it and no problems since.

Edit: With 1.9 you can use smilies in your Username post area. :D *Points to the panting Nighty*
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Bamfette »

:eek :ooh

hm. eek is not affected. ooh is, though. seems to be specific to the letter o when doubled.

fixed the avatar gallery, btw.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

New Forum - version 1.9

I saw the Avatar Gallery fix. I love this gallery version more in fact. Unfortunately, there is no 1.9 Image Gallery version. That is probably why you re getting that syntax error. Not compatible. No gallery version until the release of 1.9 Final I'm afraid. :( I know a few hackers trying to work one out. It's just the code upgrades they are doing to 1.9. They can't keep up. LOL!

Ya, need to watch those smilies. Any number of them could be a problem.

I really would like a Portal myself. Are you planning to re-install the left hand link area eventually Jill? I actually prefer the larger look really. Perhaps a Portal for Nightscrawlers?
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Panz »

*Breaks bottle of bubbly on the brow* This demmed site has more lives than a vampire cat :LOL:LOL:LOL
Blessings of Bast upon you Bamfette and Bunny, for your dedication and pure raw talent. Curses and maledictions upon the Hacker :evil

Panzers
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by kurtlover »

Kuddos to the Bunny again for his help.. that worths his weight in gold :naughty
and the 1.9 ver looks very nice so far :)
Dezzy Dragon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Dezzy Dragon »

Thanks for fixing the new members thing. I have been trying to sigh up for over 3 weeks now and I just couldn't! I am now happy. :D
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Tracker »

Hey, what's up with the new rankings?:? Not complaining, mind...just curious.
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Bamfette »

just felt like a change, and i guess C (who came up with them) was in a piratey mood
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Crawler »

YARRR!!! :sparrow
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Tracker »

Heart the pirate stuff! Instead of shoulder parrot, you should have "Mr. Cotton's Parrot" (or would that infringe on a certain mouse-driven corperation?;) )
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Paty »

:mags:
Dudoes to Jil and Bunny for their work in trying to make the site more secure. I had to get in using my old password...bu that's OK... I liked that password and it is not linked to my computer at home any more. It wouldn't let me change my password, though...when I went into my profile to do so... so I guess I shall just keep the old one.

Anyway, thanks to all you diligent workers for trying to make the site more secure...even if we lost some of the features.. like the spoiler thingie...
No pain, no gain...
Paty
:mags:
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Tatu »

Originally posted by Crawler
And I made fun of Stevie for the entertainment of all!
No kick teh Pup! :puppy
Call me King!
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

New Forum - version 1.9

Jill, C, Bunny,

XMB has released 1.9.1 RC1. You may want to upgrade now seeing as you have no hacks installed.

I will upgrade soon myself. Just don't want to see all my pretty hacks go bye-bye. :cry
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Forum - version 1.9

Post by Bamfette »

acually, we DO have hacks installed. nothing huge. But I'll hold off till i'm sure they have the final (atleast likely as far as a few months) release is out. after the final release of 1.8 came out they had THREE service packs, for crying out loud. this is good enough for now.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

New Forum - version 1.9

Didn't know you had hacks installed. :shifty

Ya, a guy owes me a favor at XMB so he will be upgrading my board for me. He will also be installing probably about half of the hacks I had on there. But all the hacks are not returning. I didn't like some of the features of certain hacks. Most of them returning are admin features anyway.

The Portal is what I want. Similar to ComiXFan's index page. I want a page just like that. :) Tis cool!

*You Know I'm getting tired of the server busy come back later notice at ComiXFans website. You'd think this would have been corrected by now. :/

As for the Image gallery I'm considering using the same one ComXFan uses. We'll see.