Dammit, People!

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Dammit, People!

Post by Crawler »

Look. We don't ban people for no reason. We don't ban people without A LOT of warning and MANY chances unless they did something *really* bad.

And, once again, WE DO NOT BAN PEOPLE FOR HAVING DIFFERING OPINIONS!!!

So if you can't access the forums, it's probably because of some buggy weirdness.

If you were actually banned, believe me, you'd know.

Fact is that we've banned a grand total of THREE members in a year and a half.

We don't abuse our authority and we don't throw it around.

We try VERY hard to keep us as close to the line between people having fun and expressing themselves and things getting out of hand and disrepectful.

Though we have many rules, because a few people seemed to need them spelled out, basically we only have one:
RESPECT OTHERS AND YOURSELVES.

We don't appreciate being accused of being ModNazis. We try very hard to keep this board pleasant for EVERYONE. We put A LOT of effort into it. It would be SO much easier to just ban anyone we didn't like or who broke the rules or to just let every go and have no rules at all.

But would you really want to post at a board like that?

Give us some credit and show us some respect. This job is not a fun or easy one and we're all doing it for free. (Except for me, who actually PAYS for us all to be here. ;) )

Cheers,
Christopher
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Dammit, People!

Post by sevati »

I just want to add on exactly how someone can check if there's a code error (which there was this morning) and not bother C, he who puts up with us and pays for this awesome site.

If for some reason, you can't access the forums like this morning, you've got several options. You can:

Go into chat and ask whoever is in there if they too are having difficulty with the board.
View the Today's Posts page to see if anyone posted a problem in the Tech Support forum.
View the Stats page to see when the last post was.
Click the arrow link (circled in red in this picture) to see the last post in the Tech forum and what it was about.

If you notice there haven't been any posts in a good chunk of time (say more than 8 hours), that's a clue that there's something wrong with the board. The only bigger one is if you can't load the site at all (and that means there are server problems). If you do experience some problem you don't think is a normal server/code hiccup, I suggest cleaning out your internet cache and cookies. MSIE users can by doing the following: load a webpage. Click the tools menu, pick internet options. Delete the cookies (and I suggest clearing the files and history on a regular basis so the folder doesn't get huge). Go thru the other tabs and make sure cookies are enabled. Hit Ok, and then try again, it most likely will work now.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Dammit, People!

Post by Tatu »

Dude, you get so much pointless crap.

But for the last people ive seen banned, ive seen it publicly posted why the staff banned them, so they couldnt claim they werent told..whatever

Don't let it get you down man.

Originally posted by Crawler
If you were actually banned, believe me, you'd know.
Call me King!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Dammit, People!

Post by kurtlover »

Of course you totally know if we ban you!! :p
and i must say that sometimes the server, a bug or something like that plays nasty tricks with the board, there's no need to panic.
Here at scrawlers the staff works really hard to mantain a nice and peaceful enviroment, specially the admins, Crawler had a hard time working on this set of rules, just 11, think about it, just 11, its not much, and we just ask you to read them carefully. so when we read negative comments like calling us certain names (like nazis) of course is frustrating.
Try to understand us guys, you are in a good place here, nobody messes with you, nobody puts you down, in comparison with other places, so please be more considerated.
Thanks
sapphirescimitar
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Dammit, People!

Post by sapphirescimitar »

Think about it this way: Do you really think that you would be banned for no reason, out of no where? I don't think so. Even if you were banned, like the good folks above me have already mentioned, you would know. Remember, if you were banned, you would know and there would be a reason. ;) These people are too great to do stupid things like that. This is one of the best boards I have ever seen. You don't get awful mods that are rude and unhelpful; the administrators here do not ban without a reason. Other boards are filled with uselessness, is not found here. But, seriously, don't panic over something like that when you haven't done something wrong, obviously, and do what sevati suggested. You can IM members you know also that are on this forum, and have them check also. Sometimes I do that when chat goes nuts. :P
Cocnuts.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Dammit, People!

Post by SheCat »

This board is a great place. You guys keep the place running nicely.
Instead of calling the mods and administrators 'nazis' and stuff like that how about we thank them? They don't deserve the mindless crud some people give them.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Dammit, People!

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well, the most I can say here is thank god I wasn't so twisted out that I couldn't get on the other day. LOL! i realized i hadn't logged into the site before on this computer! ahahah! yeah...anyways....

Chris, don't let it getcha down. If you guys want a really good idea add some buds from the site here to your aol or msn instant messenger list so that when you litterally can't get to the site you can ask them and see if it's down or just an error. You get warning and you know about those, so of course you'd be told if you were banned. LOL! Adam and eve didn't just assume they were banned out of the garden of eve and pack up and go!
You guys do a nice job with this site and I greatly appreciate how respectable the mods are here to opinions and their plain old fashioned common sense judgement. We need more of that in our world.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Dammit, People!

Post by Crawler »

Yes.

E-mailing me to say that you assume that you've been banned because you can't access the site is like calling your landlord to ask why you've been evicted because you locked your keys in your house.

Or calling the electric company to ask why they shut your power off when it goes out in a storm.

It's silly. We DO NOT take banning lightly. If you were banned, you'd know. If you were doing bannable things, you'd have gotten an earful from us.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Dammit, People!

Post by Bamfette »

the simple fact of the matter is computers SUCK. sometimes the site goes down or glitches so you can't log in, and it is nothing that we did, and nothing we can do about it, except wait it out. if you can't log in, i am afraid it is a recurring glitch, sometimes the site just wont let random people log in. it usually resolves itself in a day or so. so unless you know you've done something ban-worthy, and we've repremended you for it in some manner, then just wait a day or two, and it should resolve itself.
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Dammit, People!

Post by BAMFCentral »

Argh... I feel your pain... Hackers, host problems, power outages, and grumpy visitors... had my share of problems also. It's enough to make you rethink what your doing....

But then someone tells ya what an awesome job your doing and it all seems worth while....

Don't let it get ya down...
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Dammit, People!

Post by Lauren »

But who's been calling you gusy modNazis?:? I wouldn't even think of calling you gusy that, especially after having to deal with that time when a hacker took the site down completely! So if anyone calls you gusy modNazis, I'll beat them up for you! Because you guys do one heck of a job keeping this forum running the way it is!
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Dammit, People!

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by BAMFCentral
Argh... I feel your pain... Hackers, host problems, power outages, and grumpy visitors... had my share of problems also. It's enough to make you rethink what your doing....
I've been having those same problems with my webhosts. A glitch in their system shot me from an essential package to a starter one. I'm locked out from most of my control panel! :mad

Chris, Jill, Armi and all the mods, you are doing a great job! Keep it up!:)
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Dammit, People!

Post by Siona »

Originally posted by Lauren
But who's been calling you gusy modNazis?:? I wouldn't even think of calling you gusy that, especially after having to deal with that time when a hacker took the site down completely! So if anyone calls you gusy modNazis, I'll beat them up for you! Because you guys do one heck of a job keeping this forum running the way it is!
I completely agree, Lauren; I myself have gotten warnings, but it was MYYYYY fault, never ever EVER the fault of the mods and/or administrators. It was mine, for not following the rules.

So people blaming them for their own faults are just whiners and shouldn't really be here anyway, in my book.

Beside, remember the golden rules: without rules and restrictions, all is chaos.

Oh, yeah, it's not that nice to call people Nazis either. :p

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Dammit, People!

Post by steyn »

Just curious, who'd you ban and why:smirk
Sandy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Dammit, People!

Post by Sandy »

As a native German, I'm quite allergic to anyone being called a nazi...you know why. It's NOT something to take lightly, NOT EVER, and apart from that the mods'n' owners of this board totally rule. I'm currently a mod on another board and also get all kinds of crap....we had to ban someone who repeatedly got very personal and accused people of all kinds of things and ignored all his warnings...and then he, as a fellow German, called us nazis. Well thank you.

So, to sum up - don't let the bastards grind you down! ;D
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Dammit, People!

Post by little Blue Lucy »

I'm not from Germany, but I am German, not to mention Jewish, so I definitely agree on the severity of calling anyone a nazi, and the Scrawler mods are certainly NOT nazis!

On a seperate note, I'm so sorry, Crawler, hon, but this was the only part of the board I could get to, and I need to know, I keep getting this error: "Got error 28 from table handler" whenever I try to click on any of the board categories. Is this happening with anyone else? Is it a server problem? I'm sure it isn't a problem with my cookies or anything like that.
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Dammit, People!

Post by Bamfette »

sometimes the board just glitches and one of the tables where our data is stored gets corrupted. it is a simple fix, but someone with access to the administration panel or the database needs to be here to do it....
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Dammit, People!

Post by Bamfette »

ah.... so that's why. damn, i HATE those logfiles >.< we had a problem with them filling up at the old server, too. a big problem with a high traffic site....
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Dammit, People!

Post by Maelstrom »

Jill, I sent you a U2U earlier today about the whole "Got error 28 from table handler" thingy once I discovered it. But it sounds like you and the rest of the Admins were already aware of this. Should I have just waited instead of bugging you? (Mucho apologies if I *did* bug you...)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Dammit, People!

Post by Bamfette »

i actually only got it like 20 minutes ago after the problem was already fixed by Bunny. the board went blooey sometime after i logged out last night, and was already back up again by the time i got back early this afternoon :p
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Dammit, People!

Post by little Blue Lucy »

Thank you so much, Jill.
I know I haven't had time to get on here as often as in the past (and I apologise for beating a potential dead horse -uh, as it were- asking about that last problem), but I really appreciate how much you mods do to keep this site maintained.
There needs to be like a Mod appreciation day on here or something (unless there already is something like that, again, of course, I haven't been on so much lately :rolleyes).
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
John Doe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Dammit, People!

Post by John Doe »

Hmm? Someone referring to the mods on this board as Nazis? Beh, I'm only a tad German and without any religion, so it doesn't affect me that way to hear the term being taken lightly, but having spent two hours looking through the Holocaust Museum in Washington on a school trip certainly did. That's a ridiculous thing to call someone...

In any case, I've only been here a week now and the mods are definitely different from the last board I was on. (Though, it was for a different purpose.) Anyone here a cyber poet or emcee? Micology was a board for just such people that had amazingly bad mods/admin. They banned people for no reason, edited people's posts to make them sound bad, deleted posts that criticized them and then suspended the person. So this board is certainly something far apart from Micology. (Ironically, Micology is basically a dead board at this point due to someone hacking the system.)

Have a nice day.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Dammit, People!

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

All the mods I have had the honor to meet on Nightscrawlers are awesome, I have never met any mods as nice as you guy and gals. I don't see how anyone could ever have a reason to call anybody a Nazi, that's horrible!

The Moderators do a fantastic job with this site, evey site needs rules, I have been to sites with none and some with tons, this site has a very reasonable amount of rule, that are easy to follow. Is it that hard to follow rules? No. Rules make things better and fun.

I agree, bannings are not some kind of berzerker revenge thing, they are to keep the site clean and fun for others.

Great respects payed to Admins and mods....

~EMO~:)
one name: Bruce Campbell