Where do you draw the line on religious debate vrs harrassment?

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Myspace group deleted once again

You know, I've heard a lot about this sort of thing on both sides. Obviously when you've hacked a site, that's crossed a line. But I guess it depends on your point of view as to what is 'right' and what is 'harrassment'. It's a hard thing to judge at times.

For example, I'd love to see hate filled sites such as the westbro church brought down. I do think that sites dedicated to celebrating a person's belief systems (provided they aren't spreading hate/racism/ect) should be respected by others and not trolled.

Yet...it's not always clear cut. There can be a whole ton of disrespect on anyones 'side'. What's your guys' thought?

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

MySpace was a bit stupid to delete the group after all that. But. If you've had such issues with MySpace deleting your group, MOVE. Myspace.com is not the only networking site out there. If push comes to shove, set up a free site--like bravenet, or any other number of sponsor sites-- and organize there.

As a person, I'm for the belief that anybody who wants a site to express their message, be it hateful or peaceful, should be able to have one. Just because it exists doesn't mean I have to look at it, nor does anyone else who has issue with the message. Yes, I think the people who support the WBC are stupid and for the record are prime candidates for retroactive birth control. But that doesn't mean I want them all shut down and taken away from their sense of community.

I very much agree with Voltaire, who said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Deleting the site was stupid and unnecessary. It comes across as MySpace caving to those disgraces to Christianity that hacked the site.

Yes, I consider hacking a site in the name of religion to be way over the line.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I have to say, that Myspace deleting the group of Atheists was ridiculous. They seemed to be under attack, and seemed from this article to be peaceful and keeping to themselves, so it's quite unfair that they'd do that.

However, german_gremlin, in your case it's very very different. It's one thing to start a group based on your beliefs, or movies you like, or sports teams you hate, but when you make it personal by picking out a specific person, you cross a line. That can be considered slander, and the website has every right to remove it. As well, it's possible that manager found it and asked it to be removed, which is also in her right.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Sorry about that last post. UGH! My litter brother is going on here acting like it's me. My info is saved on my computer so he can instantly sign on here. He's done it twice this week on the chatroom. I have kicked his ass for it. I'm not too sure about this myspace thing...something about a manager?
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Remove your saved passwords, then. You are responsible for all posts in these forums made under your username and all messages in chat made under your registered nickname.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Ok never will happen again!!!! Sorry:(
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366