is "The Prince" by Niccolò Machiavelli really THAT bad?

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This collection of perspectives by an adviser and educated man from the Renaissance are considered both genius and ground breaking as well as anarchist and resembling heresy to the point where some extremists would call it "a guide to regime control".

I feel this is lunacy and the notes, beautifully written with the slightest jab to the pride with his pen, are simply put, a handbook for leaders who want to bring their people to their highest potential.

Now i'm liberal, I am totally anti-Bush, I hate the war in iraq, and I certainly am for equal treatment and what not, (none of these are the topics btw so please no one eating people's faces off for these perspectives.) but I feel that calling this book "Conservative" is a little much, if anything it liberates the social community into the stress and detail used in ruling a peoples.

Honestly though, I want to know what you guys think?
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Hmm, to be honest I haven't read the book all the way through, only certain sections. I really don't think it can be classified as "liberal" or "conservative," not at least based on how we interpret them. It was written for an entirely different kind of society. Many parts seemed harsh to me, but nonetheless effective. The book advocates war, but it also advocates making sure to help the citizens and keep them feeling secure. Not so much compassion, since the book says too much compassion and leniency leads to disrespect and disregard for laws, but it also says don't keep the reins too tight, since a feared leader is a hated leader and it can give rise to revolution.

It's so interesting you brought this up, I've only just started the book. It's a hard read. >.< I would love any one else's input, especially if I'm totally off target here.
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

no no you're right man it was written in the renaissance so we can't always relate to it. But it IS a great read and worth plowing through I'm almost done myself and I am TELLING you this stuff,

you know not only did Napoleon read it but so did Fidel Castro, Bill Clinton, John F. Kennedy, Malcom X, that guy from "Last King Of Scotland" (not the actor the real man), and the current Queen of England. (among many other world leadrs.)

Even Marx read it. Hitler I guess picked it up and thought it was too much "dribble". But it's weird people relate the book to fascism which is SO clearly not what it is, a) because it talks about equality and abolishing social class even though they seem necessary and b) hitler hated it.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS