Who's your favorite president?

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Now i know what you're all saying,
it's not likely this conversation will start some debate.

You'd be surprised. I've started this topic before, and it got MOVED into the debate section because people were so disgusted with the choices. I have seen someone get banned for their raves against president clinton (though i had it retracted because I caused it being I made the topic and instigated his hatred which I have learned now, NOT to do)

I myself am most proud of John F. Kennedy and Abraham Lincoln. These two men I think made America the country that people feel is free and accepting (until presidents like George W. Bush, Reagan, and others, muddle that up.) This being said, I tend to cite Kennedy's attempts at a new kind of Union that Lincoln never foresaw or maybe never lived to attempt at, and that's one where EVERY BODY, not just the black man, was finally free AND at same level as any white man. His brother, Bobby, I think could have achieved this, but like John, he was taken from us in an unfair attempt at what I feel is anarchy. (same as lincoln, coincidentally). All in all, these presidents were humble and great, and I think that they are examples for all presidents to live by, be it Hilary (god save us) Barack (DONT VOTE LLAMA VOTE OBAMA!) or Giuliani. (......balding.) all of these candidates should look to these two men as a way to lead.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Jimmy Carter.

I like that he held to what he believed and wasn't afraid of admitting it to everyone, but I do also believe that he wasn't necessarily the best man for the job at the time he occupied the office. He refused to play the game, so to speak, and that was ultimately why he ended up being such a relatively unpopular president.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

we coulda done a lot worse though. He wasn't half bad. I don't know if you're still in college or even in it wingyding, but take a Modern American political science class, that part of history has a whole chapter called "Jimmy Carter, What He Did" (at least in my book.) It's right before "Reaganomics".

That guy LOVED his name. Applied it to EVERYTHING.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Oh, I'm aware we could have. But you didn't ask for fact, you asked for an opinion.
And he's not as bad with the names as some.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

not challenging you but can you give me an example?

I'm going to be honest when I see this icon i think either zobomoofoo, or what George Bush was doing when he made the game plan for iraq. :monkey
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I agree with you 100% on Lincoln. I don't know who else I'd pick. Kennedy is definitely one of the greats, though I felt he dealt with the threat of war a little weakly. Made Johnson picking up and being like "zomg! now we're going to war" even more a shock and outrage for most people. Not that Kennedy had any idea he wouldn't be in office to continue dealing with the problem, but everything I've heard about him, though it was clear he was anti-war, doesn't show him to have been particularly good at coming up with an alternative option. But he did do a lot of admirable things.

Lincoln is the greatest president in my opinion - like so many other peacemakers, from MKRJ to Gandhi, etc., he was killed for his peace policy. He came from a humble start and retained humility even when he gained the most important position in the United States. He never considered himself better than the average citizen, OR the slave. Thanks to him, the U.S. finally caught up with what so much of the rest of the world had already done long before: abolishing slavery. Geez, we were slow, but hats off to Lincoln. In the U.S., he set the standard for equality. If he had lived, I wonder how many of the problems African-Americans face today could have been averted.

[Edited on 12-6-07 by Feuerstein]
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I feel the same way about Bobby Kennedy. If he had lived, I guarantee he would have won. He was GOING to be president, and man....MAN I cannot help but say this, but the world would be SO MUCH BETTER OFF and everything would have been totally different in America, from foreign policies to our social class structure, I firmly believe he would've changed the world that much.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

William Henry Harrison, lol.

But seriously, I really like JFK as well. We really need to give props to Washington and Lincoln. They set up the nation as we know it. Oh and Jefferson. Doubled the size of America for only $15 million.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Mannerheim

Lead the forces during the wars 1918 - 1946 and cause of him this country didn't become part of the Soviet Union.
Nuff said.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Grover Cleveland. Dude, he was president, then not, then president again!

Or FDR. How has FDR not shown up on here yet? He implemented so many programs that helped to get us out of the depression, even if World War 2 did come in to save us there...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I rather like David Rice Atchison, who was president for one day. Sort of. ;)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

FDR was amazing but I prefer Teddy over FDR.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

I have to give a shout out to FDR (though Teddy was actually more progressive) for inheriting the Great Depression and then having WWII land in his lap as well. He kept a lot of Americans alive and saved capitalism from itself.

And since you listed two in your first post I'm also going to say Thomas Jefferson. The guy was a genius. JFK anecdotally said to a group of Nobel Prize winners "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together at the White House, with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone." Even to this day when we talk about a modern, progressive government we call it "Jeffersonian Democracy"
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

I'm going to go with Prez Rickard.

Oh, you mean non-fictional presidents.

Norton I? Well, he was Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico, so I guess that was close enough.

No, really.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

FDR was pretty damn awesome. Whenever I think of him I wonder if he was running today, if he'd stand a chance. He was president before television. (Oh uh... no pun intended. Seriously.)

There is a big lodge in Oregon called the Timberline lodge that to me is the ultimate example of how awesome the WPA project was. (And they filmed the Shining there!) On the other hand, we have currently inherited Social Security from him.

Nobody's perfect.

-e

fixed broken link ~SK~

[Edited on 6/12/2007 by Saint Kurt]
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.