Vent o' the day

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Vent o' the day

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I put this in the danger room, cause a - we all need an outlet for our bitchiness, and b - some vents are probabally gonna be danger room worthy.

Alright. So my vent today.

Customer service is dead. I hate to use the 'back in the day' cause it wasn't THAT long ago. But even 15 years ago, the level of service you'd get in most stores just isn't seen anymore. Instead you get people who roll eyes, talk to friends/on the phone for ages rather than help you, move at the speed of molasses, don't say please, thank you or anything resembling politeness, and seem to look at you as one huge pain in the ass.

Now. Not everyone is like that. I've met some good and nice people. But they are becoming an endangered species.

You know...I don't even get it. The wages were just as crappy back then. The demographic of workers seems to be the same. Its the general attitude that's changed. I LIKED working at a reasonable clip when I was in the service industry (ie removing the thumb up my ass) cause its BORING to stand around. At least if I was busy, the time went quicker. I found (shock) that most people if treated well, treated YOU a lot nicer. Other than the assholes, and they were gonna be jerks regardless.

Not only that, but if I pulled the crap that I see people pulling now, my manager would have raked me over the coals.

Ah well. Vent on people! What's nagging you?

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Vent o' the day

Post by JSherlock »

My parents thinking I'm not looking for a fucking job, is what's bugging me! EVERYTHING IS ONLINE - NOBODY DOES PAPER ANYMORE. I wish I could smash that through their skulls. :)
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Vent o' the day

Hmm. You may find it useful to have a list of things that you've done with dates and times. Pain in the butt? Yes. It worked REALLY well to shut up my husband when I had a baby and a toddler and he kept asking 'what do you DO all day?'

Another vent...going over to FF.net and seeing all these PLEASE READ MY STORIES!!!! on the summary line. I know that fan ficcers want reviews and hits. I can get that. *I* want reviews and hits. You bug me though? I'm stubborn. I will probabally NOT read it just to be contrary. Well not contrary, but I have this weird rebellion thing that is a hangover from my teen years with my step mom I think.

If you want me to read a story, you usually

a - have to write something I'd be interested in reading. You may write an absolutely awesome story, but if its about Jubilee or someone else I have zero interest for, I ain't gonna read it, cause she annoys me. I can handle Jubes as a back up character, but not as a main. Its just not my taste. This isn't your fault. Write what you want. Someone will love who you are writing about :).

b - have to write a decent summary of it. Spell things correctly. The odd mistake in the body of the story I can happily tolerate if its decent. 'Remy and Rouge have two kids and are in luv 4ever.' is like...yeah no.

c - avoid OC's, generally. This is a 99% of the time thing for me, cause most OC's are Mary Sues. Now...that said, I have seen the odd OC that I think is cool as hell. Most are not. However, if you mention OC in the title? I generally avoid it like the plague, unless I've read your stuff before and liked it.

Yeah. I know. I'm cranky today. Viva la vent thread.

Paws
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Vent o' the day

Post by littlebamf »

Cardboard boxes :(

There is something depressing about deposting all your treasured items into little boxes and then dragging them around the country, to a city you don't particuarly want to move back to, only to repack them in a couple of months time and return them.

Also people who say they'll clean up after themselves and don't, then find it really amusing when you're telling them how much of a disgusting mess the kitchen is. Yeah, most people will know what I'm on about with this, but seriously, if the kitchen does not get returned to a state of hygene, then we dont get our deposit money back. I'd quite like my deposit money back as it means I'll be able to afford to go to the cinema and maybe a theme park if I can get people to go with me.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Vent o' the day

Post by Angelique »

Internet trolls! Enough said!

Waitstaff who forget the food expediters need their tickets to keep track of what order goes out when to what table, and instead just bark the orders to the kitchen. I often get the following:

Waitress 1: I need three miso soups, 1 side salad with wasabi, an order of maguro nigiri and a sashimi dinner to go to the tatami room.

Me: Okay. (I get on it. Of course, there's no ticket, so I have to remember everything myself.)

Waitress 2: (while I'm getting the first order ready) Could you get two misos and a salad with ranch to table 35?

Me: In a bit. (Again, there's no ticket, so I have to immediately commit this to memory.)

Cook: Order up! Table 13!

Me: (noticing that the cooks have three very hot tempura platters, which need to go out right away!) Okay! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Waiter 3: Could you get me two misos, two side salads with creamy raspberry, and a cobb salad with ranch dressing and no bleu cheese? (Again, no ticket!)

Cook: Order up! Lobster rangoons for table 35! Come ON!

Me: (trying to stay calm in spite of the fact that I've now forgotten how what kind of salads waitress 2 wanted and I discover that the bus boy has somehow made off with all my trays) One order at a time, and please give me the tickets!!!

Don't get me wrong. I love being around all this good food, and I like the people I work with, but I can't do my job well if they don't do their jobs correctly. Of course, there's a bright side to this. They're more generous when dividing out the tip money if I put up with this craziness.

[Edited on 3/7/2007 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Vent o' the day

Post by Slarti »

Yeah, as much of a tremendous pain it is, documenting every move I made in my internet-based job hunts did wonders to placate first my dad in the summer after college and later my husband and the government the winter after I got laid off.
;)
...if its about Jubilee...
:LMAO I couldn't agree with you more right here. What IS it with all the Jubilee stuff lately?!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Vent o' the day

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I would have had a great rant earlier today about reinstalling WinXP and my DAMN INTERNET NOT WORKING DAMN DAMN but obviously everything is fine now and I've gotten over it.

I'm looking for a job and my mom actually found the online local job postings for me. There are so few jobs that looking at the ads and applying takes almost no time. It's amazing how different job-hunting is after you get a degree. People are much more interested in hiring you. I got the brush-off at the bank, mentioned the degree, and suddenly it's all, oh, I'll see if the hiring manager has time to see you right now. I applied for this one job which I am horribly under-qualified for, and I still at least got a personal "thank you for applying" from the guy in charge. (He said he was going on vacation for the next two weeks. Is that a brush-off? But why send an email at all??)

I like to apply for jobs in person if at all possible. I applied for that one job online, but only because the ad didn't have a physical address (PO Box, like everyone else around here). They get to see that I am a nice girl. (I am! Really!) I mean, my resume is lovely, but it's still just a piece of paper that gets mixed in with a bunch of other pieces of paper. Applying in person is always the best idea.

Oh, wait, this is the nasty topic. Uh, my cat is gone this week and I miss her.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Vent o' the day

Post by Slarti »

Actually, around here.... or maybe it's just in my profession... you generally apply to blind box ads and they really, really don't want you to just show up to apply because they're using that time you take up by coming in to do other things. Seriously, I've even seen ads that implicitly say to NOT call or come in.... and a lot of times you don't know the real name of the company you're applying to.
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Vent o' the day

Post by Freak »

I'll join the venting:

Smokers, the bane of my existence (hey, even my mom is one, and I love her ;))

So, it's a beautiful day, sun is shining, I'm sitting on a bench and everything is great, therefore I decide to be very Zen today and enjoy the moment. Then someone comes along and sits down right next to me. I think "Ok, I can share..." And then I hear that infernal *crck..crck...* of a lighter, and the person next to me has decided that he/she can't enjoy the day without smoking. So all that's left for me is to endure or leave. Or at morning, when I take the bus, yeah, I'm protecting the encironment!, people start to smoke by the dozen, and I can't leave! And call me paranoid, but I could bet they're always standing so that the wind blows their smoke into my face.

I know that in a free country they have the right to smoke, but what is up with my right to not suffer from disgusting and unhealthy habits (yessir, passive smoking is even unhealthier than the original act of smoking itself)?

And I don't even talk about the oh so beautifull remainings of the cigarettes they're leaving everywhere :shakeno

That's it.

[Edited on 5/7/07 by Freak]
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Vent o' the day

Oh Spaz, I'm sorry :(. I hope you find her soon.

And, yeah, I get that whole 'freedom to smoke' but it puts a wedgie up my butt too. I hate smoke. Actually, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm allergic as I end up stuffed up and feeling ill for hours after I'm around it.

Paws
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Vent o' the day

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
Oh Spaz, I'm sorry :(. I hope you find her soon.

And, yeah, I get that whole 'freedom to smoke' but it puts a wedgie up my butt too. I hate smoke. Actually, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm allergic as I end up stuffed up and feeling ill for hours after I'm around it.

Paws
Oh no, she's fine. She's staying with my sister and we're picking her up on Saturday. :) We couldn't bring her last week because the truck we used to move was a loaner and too nice to bring an animal in. (We are bad people who don't use animal carriers because she cries for the entire trip if we do and we just can't take it.)

I haven't had the chance to apply for "real" jobs before. For service industry jobs, they like to see you. I assumed JS was applying for that kind of job.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir