Conservapedia??!

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Conservapedia??!

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

If it wasn't for this little gem of a news article, I would have never known!

It is things like this that make me reallllly question the right. It's editing, and limiting - lets funnel everyone into this one really narrow minded viewpoint. Wiki, as far as I am aware of, lets all viewpoints (within reason) be heard. Conservapedia? Hah!!

But folks, we wouldn't want you thinking for yourselves...

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Conservapedia??!

Post by HoodedMan »

Conservapedia is idiocy. As a Wikipedia regular, you'd expect that opinion of me, but really. There's just no hint of NPOV (a neutral point of view), something which I value highly, anywhere on that site, and half of all articles ignore their first "Commandment":

1. Everything you post must be true and verifiable.

And to think there are constantly proposals on Wikipedia aimed at making one of our processes or another more like Conservapedia. Bah.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Conservapedia??!

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

go look at their articles on Creationism and Evolution. Did you know that most Evolution proponents are Atheists?? And here I just thought they were intelligent. Thanks Conservapedia.

[Edited on 29/6/07 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Conservapedia??!

Post by HoodedMan »

Don't go look at their articles; you're just encouraging them. :(

Hey, did you know an individual's beliefs regarding creationism and the theory of evolution appears to influence their views on homosexuality? :surprise

Edit: Punctuation ist nicht gut.

[Edited on 29/6/2007 by HoodedMan]
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Conservapedia??!

You know what I've never been able to figure out? Why is free thought, and open views, such a threat to them? I mean, its like you aren't 'allowed' to see anything, read anything, or hear anything that isn't spoon fed to you from 'safe' sites. Everything else is 'immoral'/bad/wrong.

Scary that.

Paws

Edited to add. So I've been googling since. MUCH amusement and enough for you to throw your hand up at too.

http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/02/22/conservapedia/

http://www.startribune.com/484/story/1264497.html

[Edited on 29/6/07 by fourpawsonthefloor]
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Conservapedia??!

Post by Garble »

Ugh! It's full of baseless assumptions and re-writes of history. (Did you know Stalin was ultimately defeated by his fellow atheist, Hitler?)

I'm tempted to make a parody "Liberapedia" to show them just what a liberal bias would actually look like.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Conservapedia??!

OOOOOH!

Oh. Yes. Do that. I'll feed you cookies!

Paws
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Conservapedia??!

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

oy dont, they'll just use it to prove that liberals are trying to sway the people and feed them lies. For some reason, conservatives can say that about liberals, but not vice versa.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Conservapedia??!

Post by JSherlock »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
You know what I've never been able to figure out? Why is free thought, and open views, such a threat to them?
Because once people start thinking on their own - they fear that they'll figure out religion is the opiate of the masses, and stop believing. Not that the basic moral rules of be good to other people, and don't kill and respect your elders, etc., is bad - but the rest of it is just bunk in my opinion. That goes for all religions. ;)
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Conservapedia??!

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by JSherlock
You know what I've never been able to figure out? Why is free thought, and open views, such a threat to them?
Because once people start thinking on their own - they fear that they'll figure out religion is the opiate of the masses, and stop believing. Not that the basic moral rules of be good to other people, and don't kill and respect your elders, etc., is bad - but the rest of it is just bunk in my opinion. That goes for all religions. ;)
How can you say that? It says RIGHT HERE that atheism and bestiality are inextricably linked!! Do you want your children to grow up fucking cattle? I don't think so.

Forget the thousands of years of philosophical thought that isn't based around a belief in a god. Atheists have no belief, therefore they have no valid philosophy, and therefore no morals QED.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Conservapedia??!

Post by JSherlock »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Originally posted by JSherlock
How can you say that? It says RIGHT HERE that atheism and bestiality are inextricably linked!! Do you want your children to grow up fucking cattle? I don't think so.
I must say, I think people who indulge in bestiality have mental problems, not a lack of belief. :( I feel bad for them that have no outlet for their emotions.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Conservapedia??!

Post by Angelique »

Okay, so only conservatives consider the free exchange of ideas and critical, independent thought a threat?

From what I see, liberals and conservatives are very much alike. Deal out propoganda. Act as if your side can do no wrong. Shout down, mock, or defame anyone who ventures a different opinion. Admit nothing and deny everything. And only lament the decline of civility in debate when the other side uses the same tactics on you.

Really, is insulting conservatives going to lend any credibility to liberal causes, or only prove conservatives "right" about us? J, I think a lot of intelligent people who happen to subscribe to a religion would take exception to the suggestion that they don't think on their own.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Conservapedia??!

I subscribe to a religion. I would most certainly say I think on my own. I may even consider myself somewhat intelligent.

Many many 'religious' people do think for themselves. That's fab! Please don't take this as religion = bad. Not the case.

However, extremists DON'T. Or rather the leaders do, and you are just supposed to follow along. Its the editing that astounds me.

Wiki article on conservatism Note. Tone neutral. Its not saying conservatives are good or bad. They just are. Its what I'd expect to read in a 'real' encyclopedia.

Conservapedia's article on liberals. Note. Not too bad, though there are warning signs, until you click on any of the links, some of which show that people who believe that way are doomed to burn in hell. Yeah. Neutrality, we love you. I would hope to God that I never see THIS in a 'real' encyclopedia.

I'm not insulting conservatives in general. I'm insulting conservapedia. Big difference. Cause I'm pretty sure not all conservatives agree with everything there either.

And that is exactly the point. Thought = good. Not having to have some severely edited 'special' version of everything that eliminates any viewpoint that is not held as their own. That is what I'm protesting. Not religion or conservatism.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Conservapedia??!

Post by Garble »

The original philosophy of liberalism (now sometimes called classical liberalism, or libertarianism in the US)

I almost snorted milk out of my nose when I read than and I wasn't even drinking milk.

Anyway...
I think Conservapedia does itself and it's supposed political philosophy a disservice by defining everything apart from itself as "liberal" in nature. By asserting that Wikipedia has a liberal bias it basically says that the whole internet, and therefore the population in general is liberal. The whole point of wikipedia is that anyone can edit it. How would the big bad liberals go about slanting all that, unless they were the vast majority of people?

And I don't even know how anyone with a hint of intellectual honesty can claim the whole of Wikipedia has liberal bias. Neutrality is considered a virtue there. Sure some entries have slight leanings when the topic is of interest to one group or the other (check out any topic related to guns), but mostly it's pretty good at not taking any sides.