Virginia Tech Shooting

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Happened yesterday, but everyone in here probably heard.

• University officials say 33 dead, including a gunman
• Attacks mark deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history

My sympathies to everyone around.

That is seriously fucked up.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech. ... index.html
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
That is seriously fucked up.
Yeah. It sure is.

Thanks Croc. I think everyone here (at my University) is still in shock. There's that feeling that "it happened there, it could have happened anywhere".

-e
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Some people are just screwed up... May God have mercy on the freakin alien's soul.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Freak »

That's so sad...

But do you know what really ticks me off?

A. In the first speak of Bush, yep, the very first one he did about it, he right away says that people still should have the right to carry guns, but the laws should be followed...Well, Mr. Bush, I think the problem with the criminals that use guns is that they don't care about the law.

B. Members of the NRA said that this is proof that restricting the use of weapons is dangerous. Would the students have carried weapons, they could have violently ended that killing spree...Too much wrong with this to post all of it...
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Feuerstein »

Freak: You have a reference for that? I can't find it on the CNN or MSN records.

And maybe that sort of stuff belongs in the danger room.

Back on topic, though: I can't believe this happened. It was all vey surreal, especially since it happened so close to the anniversary of Columbine. So far no motivation for the killing has been giving out, right? It's just terrible and heart-breaking. Especially since I'm touring for colleges at the moment. What gets me is that the admins waited two hours to bother telling the victims' friends and family that this atrocity had occurred, AND chose to assume the gunman had left the building. I understand not wanting to cause panic by closing classes. But the students deserved to know RIGHT AWAY that this terrible thing had happened to their classmates. I can't believe they thought keeping it in the dark was the right way to deal with it. When has it EVER been?
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I agree with the potential for this to escalate to danger room material, so I moved it.

I don't blame the college for thinking 'domestic disturbance' and not freaking out everyone about it. Hindsite is a wonderful thing, but I can totally see why they acted the way they did.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I dont know for sure if its true, but apparently they have released the gunman's name and picture.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266523,00.html
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Yeah, I find it odd that people are saying the issue with this whole thing is there were too few guns on campus, when I think the logical issue is there were 2 too MANY. I don't see how arming a bunch of college students would have made this any less a tragic event, and in fact would have probably only made it WORSE. Arming the security? That may be something to look in to. But giving a bunch of kids guns is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I've only been out of college for 2 years, and I remember it well. I can't imagine a saturday out drinking and partying being more secure knowing that the drunk idiot in front of me yelling at some dumb bitch who he wants to screw but can't get it up has a gun. Are these NRA people for real??

And I also heard the president did talk about the 2nd amendment in his speech about this, but I haven't really looked for anything on the web to back that up. I did hear it on a news program though.....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Feuerstein »

Absolutely, Nacht. Besides, if the students HAD had guns and were using them responsibly *cough*, who is to say they would even think - or be able - to use them in the crisis? Should they carry them around with them in their pockets? Would they even have the courage to shoot? I would think a killer in your school would be a mind-freezing, pee-in-your-pants kind of thing.

Bottom line, the admins and police were really stupid to write off the first shooting as a freak accident and not even beef up security a little just as a precaution. I know it's Virginia. I know it's a tranquil, pretty little state. I like Virginia a lot. But this could have been so easily prevented.
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Feuerstein
Bottom line, the admins and police were really stupid to write off the first shooting as a freak accident and not even beef up security a little just as a precaution. I know it's Virginia. I know it's a tranquil, pretty little state. I like Virginia a lot. But this could have been so easily prevented.
Freak accident? No. Domestic disturbance? Yes.

If the cops put out a general warning every time there was a domestic disturbance, no one would ever get anything done. Even in cases where people die, the next day's paper is soon enough for everyone else with no involvement to hear about it.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pj9i3hgRg

This is his video "confession"
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Feuerstein »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
If the cops put out a general warning every time there was a domestic disturbance, no one would ever get anything done. Even in cases where people die, the next day's paper is soon enough for everyone else with no involvement to hear about it.
Point, but I still think that since the first pair of murders occurred in such close proximity to the rest of the school, it shouldn't have been put off telling everyone what had happened and beefing up security. But what do I know? They probably did everything they could - two hours isn't a whole lot of time, and there must have been so much to sort out between the time of the murder and the time they sent the email. It just seems so mind-boggling - thirty plus people? During college tours they assure us the state troopers and/or police, what-have-you, are sure to be at the scene of an emergency within 90 seconds max... but there are just so many factors.

[Edited on 4-21-07 by Feuerstein]

[Edited on 4-21-07 by Feuerstein]
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Well yes, but its a big campus as well, with thousands of people. They may have warned the building or the floor that it happened on, but warn the whole campus? It would be kind of like shutting down stores for a 6 block radius if one store got held up.

Its one of those things that no one saw coming, and just is very very horrible.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Trigger »

You would think that this event would wake up some people on the school boards of schools across the world, but apparently thats not the case.

One week after this incident we had three different shooting theats at our school. They didn't cancel school they just told us to "be more aware". Luckilly, they arrested all of the students involved and nothing happened, but still it could have turned out really bad.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by HoodedMan »

That's unfortunate. Other news:

BREAKING: Westboro Baptists Cancel Virginia Tech Protests, courtesy of Queerty - The gay blog.

I'm really impressed with Mike Gallagher, as I was last time, and also like last time, I have nothing but contempt for the Westboro Baptist Church. The moment I heard about the shootings, I said they were going to protest at the funerals, and sure enough, they announced they would a couple days later. No further comment; it could only be inappropriate.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Westboro is messed up... those people never even let up in a state of national emergency...
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

We had a shooter warning at my university after this happened. Someone reported a man carrying some sort of big gun across campus. They sent out a mass email telling everyone to be careful and stay indoors if possible.

Then they sent out another email a couple hours later: "it seems that it was probably a guy carrying a bicycle seat".

[Edited on 14-5-2007 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Virginia Tech Shooting

Post by HoodedMan »

LOL.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.