Pregnancy Care Centers...

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Great article on Pregnancy Care Centers

So, this sounds SO great on the surface. A place where women can go if they are scared and get emotional support, as well as monetary support when the baby is born? Brilliant! But suddenly, red flags started going up:
What they will not offer is referral for birth control. Married clients wanting information on contraception are referred to their own doctor or pastor. But, as Wood explains, most clients are unmarried, and "the Bible clearly states that sex outside of marriage is against God's will for our lives."
So, what about those who don't believe in God, or in anything close to this? Where do they fit in? And wouldn't it make sense to prevent the situation to begin with, rather than have to shell out all this federal money for pre and post natal care?

I also found the statistic that less than one in ten people visit Planned Parenthood in search of an abortion. I never really knew the rate and always had heard these rumors that all PP did was abortions (something I knew for a fact wasn't true, after taking a friend there for something completely non-sex/baby related and witnessing people there for other reasons as well).
"She didn't actually prod me in any particular direction," Barbour says. "She was just listening to me, nodding her head. She wanted to know if my family was religious, and I told her, well, I don't go to church, but my grandfather was a Methodist minister. She didn't act really judgmental or anything. She did say, 'Well, I bet that your grandfather really would like you to have this baby.'"

Eventually the woman who had done the test reappeared, holding a pair of soft blue, hand-knit baby booties. "Congratulations!" she said. "You're a mother.'
I don't doubt that these people are very loving and want the best for who they see. But whats the difference between wanting the best, and pushing your agenda to show people whats best? I'm sorry, but that action of giving her booties and congratulating her on becoming a mother is borderline bullying. Especially since the woman didnt come there for that. She came for support in a decision about her life, whether it be abortion or not. And these people are clearly on one side.

I'm also not surprised by the ammount of misinformation passed about by these centers. It's just wrong. No matter what side of the argument you are on, misleading someone into making a decision that may not be for them is wrong regardless of the intentions. These people who run this center only have to deal with the women's decisions for a little while. the women have to deal with them for the rest of their lives. And whichever they decide, they need to make that decision based on factual information, and what they want/believe.

I just don't understand why there cant be a middle ground. Let have a place where women can come and get condoms and the pill, can learn about the risks of pregnancy and abortion, and make an educated decision based on her morals and ethics and what she knows she can/cannot handle. Is it SO bad to let people live their own lives and make their own choices?

[Edited on 19/2/07 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
I just don't understand why there cant be a middle ground. Let have a place where women can come and get condoms and the pill, can learn about the risks of pregnancy and abortion, and make an educated decision based on her morals and ethics and what she knows she can/cannot handle. Is it SO bad to let people live their own lives and make their own choices?
Planned Parenthood is like that, at least when it's set up well. You could tell that pregnancy care center wasn't like that when they quoted stats on how many people they've "converted" and how many lives they've saved.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by HoodedMan

Planned Parenthood is like that, at least when it's set up well. You could tell that pregnancy care center wasn't like that when they quoted stats on how many people they've "converted" and how many lives they've saved.
I've heard great things about Planned Parenthood, and have known people affiliated. They just get a really bad name from the other side.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I'd like to work for Planned Parenthood someday...

And that this kind of "help" exists is the main reason behind that. It makes me hopelessly angry to hear about things like this. There have to be better options out there. Even if I have to do it myself.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
I'd like to work for Planned Parenthood someday...

And that this kind of "help" exists is the main reason behind that. It makes me hopelessly angry to hear about things like this. There have to be better options out there. Even if I have to do it myself.
I think that'd be great :)

And honestly, there is something wrong with a center like this that DOESN'T stress safe sex. It's like trying to put out the fire after the house has burnt to the ground.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I just found the other end of the stupid extreme. I was at another forum and this guy kept going on about how he wanted to use abortion as his ONLY method of birth control, and was acting like this made him so in touch with feminism. Cause getting abortions is more natural than a tubal ligation. (He fucking said that.) I wanted to reach through the computer and castrate him.

[Edited on 22-2-2007 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir