54 million people above the age of 18 are ignorant.

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

The Bible says you should watch this

First off, notice how hard it is for the woman to really justify believing in Creationism over science.

Second, so, we should listen to God over scientists and man? So where do all those men who wrote the Bible fit in?

Third, how catchy is that song? Behemouth is a dinosaur!

But seriously, WTF? Oh, the public school system is biased, however, this isn't?? Come on! I don't care what you believe, seriously, but to choose to be so willfully ignorant is beyond me. If you ask a scientist about proof od evolution, there are many many pieces of evidence that can be pointed to that come from years and years of testing and research. You ask a creationist, and they're evidence is "the Bible says so." I think what's even more infuriating is how arrogant they are.

Sweetheart, I will win a nobel prize for the first birth of a cloned unicorn before you get one in creationism. I don't even get how you can go to an accredited school for Biochemistry and think that way.

GAH this country!! (However, that speaker was definately Australian or South African. Stop shipping your fundies here! We have enough!)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

See...I didn't find this video all that offensive - mainly cause I think its their right to believe what they wish, provided they aren't forcing it on others. The one area that did concern me is when the speaker was refering to the books as 'missiles in this spiritual war.'

THAT is just scary. Its not a war. Why does it need to be?

And oh my goodness that was poofy hair! Now that was impressive.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

I agree with you, Paws - let them believe what they want as long as they don't shove it down my throat. But it is disturbing that they won't even try to educate themselves.

My question is: Maybe God did create the world to evolve. Who are we to say he didn't?
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Thats my biggest thing. It's that arrogance, and they're "there is only one answer, and isnt it obvious?" attitude. Why can't there be more than one answer? Why can't evolution and creationism work together (for those who choose to believe it)? Why do they have to be SO opposed?

I feel like the reason is that creationists CAN'T really debunk evolution. So they make it this "evil" thing rather than trying to come up with they're side to a debate.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Sunspot
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat
Title: Official Transformers Geek
Nightscrawlearth Character: Deadpool. Sort of.

Post by Sunspot »

I've always had a funky time keeping my religious beliefs (Well, I'm not exactly a practicing Muslim, but I still keep the beliefs. I just know I'm going to hell, is all) and being a science major. I've always tended to not question either side very much and taken them both as fact. In essence, I've gotten a split personality. There's biological reasoning me, and religious me. They just kick in for different situations.

I realize that it is a rather cowardly outlook for me to take, but I don't dwell on that, and it works fine for me.

There isn't really a problem in the Creationists believeing what they want to believe, but the fact that they so aggressively refute evolution is somewhat of a problem. Science came about, not to go against religion, but for people who wanted to know why things are as they are. Eventually, it just turned out that the two don't fit perfectly together.

Eh, well, not sure that was all entirely coherent, as I am somewhat tired. (God, I'm an old man. It is only 10:25) But, I just thought I'd toss in my somewhat mangled two cents.
* Sunspot turns on his webcam to look smug while making fun of people.
<Sunspot> There's two things I do well. make fun of people and look smug while doing it.
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

*Bangs his head on the wall...hard*

A few things from someone out of that area:
1. Creationism is illegal (since, dunno, I think 20 years) even in the US. Since then, those guys and gals have presented new forms of it nearly every year (most of them are declared illegal too).
2. Nowadays it has turned into something called the 'Intelligent design'-hypothesis (mainly that what JS has described, the intelligent designers call it microevolution). Funny fact: Based on that hypothesis, the intelligent designer could also be a small green alien :P
3. Evolution is the only universal rule in biology, most of the others have been proven as being bent by diverse organisms long ago. Denying it, even only partially, is denying most of the knowledge we have achieved already.

I really think it's sad, that some people just can't believe that something, which is too much for them to grasp, doesn't have to be made by a higher being. I mean, we're talking about billions of centuries of hit or miss here, statistics tell us that somthing like life should happen.
And for the true believers: Science can't allow anything as a fact that isn't proven via falsification so: We can't include god into science, but, since we can't prove his non-existance, we also can't deny the 'maybe' :P

[Edited on 8/2/07 by Freak]
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I mix the two quite handy dandy in my own mind. I just don't look at the bible as a literal word for word translation, but rather as a general guide for living. And after all it was created by men who were, by their very nature, imperfect, irregardless of how divine the inspiration was. It was bound to be coloured by their experiences/the time that they were in/what they could comprehend.

So that more or less puts me right in the middle. I believe in God, and evolution. The two don't have to be in cross purposes in my world :P.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Post by kamizzi »

during my religion lessons at school our priest was always telling us that the theory of evolution and God don't exclude themselves.

that's what he drew for us. it's like the God created animals and then (by another ingerency) he created human. and i think that everyone knows thin 'and on the second day He created...' is just a metaphor. It took billions of years. so the evolution is possible here. it's even more than possible.

I'm not a scientist or anything, so I have no idea which is true and which is not. it's just what the church says.

{needed to paste image}

[Wyedytowany dnia 8/2/07 > kamizzi]
:?
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I think that is just f*** retarted.

"If you belive that man and dinosaur lived together, how come we cant find the word dinosaur in the bible"

[Muokattu 8/2/2007 Lähettäjä: Crocodile Hunter]
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Post by kamizzi »

pft. man and dinosaur haven't lived together :/
:?
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Tell that to my pet velociraptor.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by idsunki
Tell that to my pet velociraptor.
Ok, Arsenic. Settle :P
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter

"If you belive that man and dinosaur lived together, how come we cant find the word dinosaur in the bible"
I agree! Dinosaurs were here around until 65 million years ago (I think that's the right date). Yet, the oldest human ancestor that has been found is only 4.5 million years.

And we can back this up with hard proof with carbon dating.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by JSherlock
Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter

I agree! Dinosaurs were here around until 65 million years ago (I think that's the right date). Yet, the oldest human ancestor that has been found is only 4.5 million years.

And we can back this up with hard proof with carbon dating.
yeah, but even that can be looked upon as dubious because who carbon dates? Man. And man can't be trusted, cause man wasn't there back then so how do we know? (by their logic)

And yet, using the same logic...how do we know the men who wrote the bible were basing it on the word of God? All we have is their wprd telling us that, not God's. It's not fact, nothing in the Bible is based on fact, only on faith. Faith isn't science.
Sunspot
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat
Title: Official Transformers Geek
Nightscrawlearth Character: Deadpool. Sort of.

Post by Sunspot »

Eh, Nacht. I'm not 100%, but I don't think they carbon-date when it is a matter of millions of years. Carbon doesn't have a half-life that would allow for that kind of time-span. They use another element. Can't remember which.
* Sunspot turns on his webcam to look smug while making fun of people.
<Sunspot> There's two things I do well. make fun of people and look smug while doing it.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Sunspot
Eh, Nacht. I'm not 100%, but I don't think they carbon-date when it is a matter of millions of years. Carbon doesn't have a half-life that would allow for that kind of time-span. They use another element. Can't remember which.
POTASSIUM-ARGON DATING. *shows off all the smartness* Gimme cookie. :D

I'm not watching that, whatever it is. I'm tired of this hot topic.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir